Re: Australian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 28, 2010 08:48PM
Posted by: Slash
raulongo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone noticed this???
> [i212.photobucket.com]
> n/5edec1c0.jpg

yeah MIchael's race was decided at the first corner unfurtunately, when the track was damp he keep the pace, but once it got quicker he seemed to struggle, the goood thing was that he managed to keep tyres a bit so that helped him get both Spaniards at the end

let's cross our fingers for another wet malaysia race
Date: March 28, 2010 09:42PM
Posted by: gav
He just struggled to overtake cars. I don't think that's down to the driver. Perhaps the missing pieces just added to the usual problem, or maybe the Merc is worse than others when following others, as Rosberg showed at Bahrain and today? Schumacher's pace seemed fine otherwise.
Date: March 28, 2010 10:11PM
Posted by: IWE
Also his suspension was damaged, but anyway he made 4th fastest lap of the race (on the last lap), so damages haven't been so big.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: March 28, 2010 11:14PM
Posted by: Muks_C
well done Jenson for staying out of trouble, but i can't help feel he hasn't "raced" for this win. he got overtaken by Lewis pretty easily, and only his uncomfortableness (is that a word?) on the inters made him gamble on the slicks early on. if it had failed he'd have been slaughtered, but the luck was on his side so he looks like a genius.

everyone behind him was racing hard, he had an easy job in that sense.

but definitely Vettel should have had 50 points by now. i hope these failures don't rob him of the championship, and us of a solid contender retiring race after race.

Lewis was awesome, a bit of that was the car's performance over other cars, the rest was him. is this correct?: the team called him in for the extra stop as they didn't think the tyres would last the remainder of the race because of the way he was driving?

whereas JB being smooth and out front could make them last, as he had no pressure from behind?

but still, if JB could make his own decision about whether to stop again or not, surely Lewis should have been asked if he wanted to stop again, rather than being told to? he could have said no, and the team could have replied that the way he had been driving, fighting through the field, his tyres would not make it to the end. he maybe then would not have been as upset.

i can understand his frustration as it's similar to what happened at Brawn last year when Rubens though he got a raw deal when his strategy was changed to his disadvantage (can't remember the race).

i watched the start from the onboard camera with Alonso, it stayed with him for most of the first few laps, as if the director forgot to change it away from him.

overall very entertaining, just a shame Vettel retired.

i still don't rate Webber at all, his whole reputation and career is built on his 5th place at Melbourne 2002.

Kobayashi - do we know if he hit someone to damage the wing causing it to break, or was it a pure failure? he said he didn't hit anyone when asked by Lee.

lol at DC's comment to JB during the Forum, "should we bring over something else you'll be enjoying tonight?" (referring to his girlfriend).

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 28, 2010 11:30PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
I was standing at the entrance to turn 9/10 complex.

The only reason there was overtaking today was straight down to tyres degrading. Nothing more.
Lap after lap we saw Webber sitting behind someone not being able to overtake, ferrari's sitting behind each other not being able to over take, everybody sitting behind rosebergy and not being able to over take, schumacher sitting behind that f''ing torro rosso and not being able to over take. They'd have a move, drop back, catch up, get in dirty air and go no where.

Button only won because Vettel didn't. He did make a good call to pit but Sebastian was romping away from him before his failure.

It was an all or nothing race for Webber in the end. Oh well. lol

Schumacher was quite quick, and once he got clear of the TR he romped away too. It's just over-taking is dam hard in that Mercedes. Good move when he finally got passed in the last corner on the outside.

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: March 28, 2010 11:56PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
how on earth does alonso face backwards and is last at the 1st corner (and his team mate is 2nd in the race) yet at the end of the race they are together?

driver of the day has to be kubica - what a drive.

also i think if ms wins a couple of races and finishes in the top 5 would be a good comeback season.

also when webber hit lewis it reminded me of canada 07 or 08 when lewis smashed into kimi at the traffic stops in the pit lane.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 11:59PM by rapid_f1.
Date: March 29, 2010 07:03AM
Posted by: casabonka
rapid_f1 Wrote:

>
> also when webber hit lewis it reminded me of
> canada 07 or 08 when lewis smashed into kimi at
> the traffic stops in the pit lane.

How? It was a red car i nfront - not a red light...

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: March 29, 2010 09:15AM
I'm sure this it was a bit of a payback for suggesting Webber might want to be thinking of retiring at the end of the season. ;)
Date: March 29, 2010 11:58AM
Posted by: marcl
At the time they bought Lewis in there was graining on the tyres of Kubica, Massa, Alonso and Lewis but if you notice the graining went after about 5 laps so I think he would have been ok as well.

But had they all stopped as well like mclaren probably thought they would Lewis would have jumped them and it would have been perfect.

As people have said button could look after his tyres as he was out in front but Lewis was only 10 secs behind him dispite having to start 11th and pass people and get delayed in the pits so that shows how hard Lewis was pushing.

Button deserved the win anyway lewis could have said no to the extra stop.

Alonso probably also done one of the drives of his life, Massa must be worried.

I watched the replay again and Kubica was 100% released from the pits in the path of another car they did not follow the rule about the gap like the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 12:27PM by marcl.
Date: March 29, 2010 02:09PM
Posted by: MrMan
marcl Wrote:
> I watched the replay again and Kubica was 100%
> released from the pits in the path of another car
> they did not follow the rule about the gap like
> the others.

I thought it was more a guideline than a rule? I'm sure Brundle said something along those lines.

Good race, the weather and graining of the tires adding to the spectacle. Bit of an epic fail on behalf of RBR considering they started the race with a one-two.

Its been confirmed that the problem was with a wheel nut working itself loose. Vettel's got to make sure he doesn't let these retirements get to him, could have a negative effect on the way he drives in the future.

Impressive race from Kubica, didn't think the Renault was capable of such a high finish.

Date: March 29, 2010 02:21PM
Posted by: mcdo
In hindsight my OP should have read: "Don't stick it through 'em Webber". Cheap surmise, but how much more of a contrast to Bahrain could we have hoped for?

Button's strategy and smoothness won, Kubica came 2nd by prowess as much as providence, comeback Massa kept it clean nose to tail for 3rd and Alonso had to settle as Captain Sensible behind his teammate after a great effort breezing past...er, the 2 stoppers and the rest.

3 teams represented on the podium. Good sign.

Kudos to Hamilton and Webber for turning on a show with fresher tyres, (faster cars). Victory was gone but they 'went for it'. Tears aside, that's the intense racing we want. I hope we have a Melbourne style season.

Good job Liuzzi for 7th. Kobayashi bouncing into Hulkenberg was a nasty carbon bomb. Nice to stick my head out the lounge window pre-race and see an A380 fly almost overhead. No pics, can't prove. It happened.

Racewise, Sepang will surely be closer to Melbourne than Bahrain. Roll on Easter.
Date: March 29, 2010 03:51PM
Yes its a guideline but its only going to work if everyone sticks to it.

It would not have put lewis ahead of him, but had Mclaren allowed Lewis to exit like that he would not have been beind Massa and Webber and would have been a lot closer to Kubica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 03:51PM by marcl.
Date: March 29, 2010 09:45PM
Posted by: airefresco
This video will probably disappear shorty. However, look how close Alonso was to taking out the 2 VR´s and the safety car. They never showed that on TV. As much as I like Alonso, that was a little silly.

Date: March 29, 2010 09:56PM
Posted by: senninho
Yeah, that was a little close - i wonder if he even knew they were starting from the pit lane.

Date: March 29, 2010 11:06PM
They showed it from Alonso's onboard on the BBC forum on the red button (obviously not much use to those outside the UK of course). Wasn't really very close, it just didn't spin as easily as he'd expected. Did make the Virgins slow right down though.
Date: March 29, 2010 11:08PM
That angle makes it look closer than what it was tbh on the BBC they showed it from behind alonso.

Still not sure if its correct or not tbh as I did not think you could recover until all are past and he could have hit the safety car.
Date: March 30, 2010 08:18AM
It's easy for us armchair viewers to comment though. F1 cars are notoriously cumbersome to manoeuvre. He didn't hit anything (or really come close to doing so) and wasn't in the slightest bit reckless. Probably quite angry at that point too, so it must have been tempting just to floor it in frustration.
Date: March 30, 2010 01:32PM
Posted by: danm
WOW! EXTREME WEATHER predicted for Sepang! :D

YES! :D

[f1.gpupdate.net]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 30, 2010 02:05PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Or no. When the race gets red flagged again... rain is nice, but to much of it is a pain in the brownhole ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 02:05PM by Iceman-Kimi.
Date: March 30, 2010 04:03PM
Posted by: senninho
gav Wrote:
> It's easy for us armchair viewers to comment
> though. F1 cars are notoriously cumbersome to
> manoeuvre. He didn't hit anything (or really come
> close to doing so) and wasn't in the slightest bit
> reckless. Probably quite angry at that point too,
> so it must have been tempting just to floor it in
> frustration.

Good point about that and the camera angle. Spin turns just haven't been as awesome since Jean Alesi left F1 ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy