Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ

Posted by rapid_f1 
Re: Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ
Date: December 14, 2009 02:12PM
Posted by: Isaint
Well, I hope that M.s comes back. Love or hate him the sport needs some charisma. There are no personalities amongst the drivers today. As for his previous misdemeanors, yes, some are true and some just plain sour grapes. In any event, like I’ve always said you can not cheat, lie or bully you're way to seven world championships, talent has to play a part at some stage and it's really that simple. So love or hate him, reputation or not he is quiet categorically one of the best ever and certainly the most successful in the sport to date ........... Welcome back soon Michael, a real racer take no prisoners.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 04:42PM by Isaint.
Date: December 14, 2009 05:22PM
Posted by: danm
Alonso has charisma and character.

I would say Webber and Vettel also have it. An that, in the current grid, is about it.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: December 14, 2009 05:40PM
Posted by: Frantic
Quoteing Niki Lauda during an interview

Q: So why did it happen last year?
NL: Because times have changed. People were different then - and the situation. In the old days before going racing you would have left information at the hotel as to who would be entitled to collect your things, in case you didn’t come back - so big was the risk to fatally crash. Formula One was for men, not lads.

Q: And today?
NL: Today they almost start as toddlers in karting and by the time they are 19 they arrive in Formula One - and most of them don’t have a character yet. The last fatal accident was the one of Ayrton Senna. Today’s cars are safe as tanks so these kids know their way around in the car, but outside (of it) they are what they are according to their age - kids.

Date: December 14, 2009 05:55PM
Posted by: madotter
Nicely said Niki.
Date: December 14, 2009 06:14PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
just read and article about heidfeld saying "i rejected many offers just to drive for mercedes , i hope schumacher doesnt return"

xaxxxaxa 3 years away from the sport and still Dread to a very good , constant and experienced driver like Nick is .....

still sorry for nick because i really thought he might be very competitive in mercedes but ... that's life .
Date: December 14, 2009 06:26PM
madotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nicely said Niki.

Thanks ;)

Date: December 14, 2009 06:29PM
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> just read and article about heidfeld saying "i
> rejected many offers just to drive for mercedes ,
> i hope schumacher doesnt return"
>
> xaxxxaxa 3 years away from the sport and still
> Dread to a very good , constant and experienced
> driver like Nick is .....
>
> still sorry for nick because i really thought he
> might be very competitive in mercedes but ...
> that's life .

I cant remember any other driver so underrated like Nick...

Date: December 14, 2009 06:46PM
Posted by: J i m
I don't think he is under rated. He's a good driver, in the right car at the right time he'd win races... but he's not in Vettel league.

Date: December 15, 2009 04:51AM
Posted by: Karan
I was at first very skeptical when I heard Jordan's rumours but this story is rapidly picking up pace. And too many pieces are slowly falling into place for it to be just a rumour now.

Like a couple others have mentioned, I get the feeling that the only remaining components are some legal paperwork being sorted out, and ofcourse a final medical examination, possibly coming after a winter test run in an F1 car, as Schumacher himself said that the only way to truly test that part of the neck is an F1 car and not a gym.

Date: December 15, 2009 08:58AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I was at first very skeptical when I heard Jordan's rumours but this story is rapidly picking up pace.

That's because EJ talks bullsh*t, but if you talk enough bullsh*t then eventually something you say will end up being true. Remember, this is the man who told us Massa only had "a bump on the chin", despite having no more information than anyone else.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 15, 2009 09:25AM
Posted by: marcl
Nick is not the only driver that has happened to. How many times did Brundle think he was driving for Williams only not to?

I feel for Nick but he will probably still have a drive with Sauber anyway.

I read that the Merc deal should be done by Friday, I am still in 2 minds with regards to it being the right move for MS or not.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, even though other come backs from drivers gave them titles they were far from convincing if you look at the whole season. 1993 had Hill not had problems at Silverstone and Germany when the wins were there he would have been champ. Prost not got half point in Monaco he would have been champ, but at the end of the day both Prost and Lauda did win. So I am sort of looking forward to see how this come back goes.

I think MS will win races (as long as it's not Monaco), but as for the championship I dont think so.
Date: December 15, 2009 09:31AM
Posted by: Pluis
marcl Schreef:
> Nick is not the only driver that has happened to.
> How many times did Brundle think he was driving
> for Williams only not to?
>
> I feel for Nick but he will probably still have a
> drive with Sauber anyway.
>
> I read that the Merc deal should be done by
> Friday, I am still in 2 minds with regards to it
> being the right move for MS or not.
>
> It will be interesting to see how it goes, even
> though other come backs from drivers gave them
> titles they were far from convincing if you look
> at the whole season. 1993 had Hill not had
> problems at Silverstone and Germany when the wins
> were there he would have been champ. Prost not
> got half point in Monaco he would have been champ,
> but at the end of the day both Prost and Lauda did
> win. So I am sort of looking forward to see how
> this come back goes.
>
> I think MS will win races (as long as it's not
> Monaco), but as for the championship I dont think
> so.

Prost would still have been champion, 99 points minus 8 is 91 points and 69 plus 20 is 89 points
Date: December 15, 2009 09:43AM
Ok add the races in where Hill let him pass :) Canada and he was faster in France but did not try and pass. Hill also let Prost pass in Spain and then had his engine blow up.

But Prost also had a few problems that year so it sort of balanced out. But if you can see what I mean, yes he won the world championship but only just about beat Hill who was in his 1st year.

MS though still has the speed this has been shown, but I recon it will take a 3 or 4 races for him to fully get back in the swing if it. I feel a bit for Nico I do hope the Merc team do not throw everything at MS and expect him to play 2nd driver.
Date: December 15, 2009 09:55AM
Posted by: J i m
I think you're overstating Hill's performance in 1993. Sure it was pretty impressive at times, but remember most rookies would look impressive in a FW15, when it's nearest rival is a second plus off the pace.

And you're forgetting something about Prost... he is a driver who always drove with a margin, always sought to win at the slowest speed he could and if you know that your rookie team mate is not going to overtake you, then you're not exactly going to go at full pace.

Date: December 15, 2009 10:30AM
Trust me I do not rate Hill at all. The fact that Prost could just about beat him and Senna in quali was a second faster says it all.

I am just saying drivers that have come back have not been as convincing as they were before they left.

Yes Prost drives with a margin, but in a lot of races Hill had him well and truly beat. Yes Prost beat him but there were errors that the old Prost would not have made.

Lauda had problem in quali when he came back, but he could move through the field due to having a car advantage and he was a good racer.

Even Prost has said yes he still had the speed but lost some of his race craft.

The difference is though MS has still done some racing, Prost and Lauda when they stopped they did not drive again until they came back. That will make a difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 10:42AM by marcl.
Date: December 15, 2009 01:20PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
I am still in 2 minds with regards to it being the right move for MS or not.

If he wants to race and is missing the buzz, then it's the right decision. If he falls flat on his face, then the only people this will affect are some followers and critics, those who remember the final chapter before anything else. The majority will know fine well just how good a driver he was before that, and a tainted last fling isn't going to change their opinions.

If he wants to do it and can do it, then he should do it. @#$%& what the critics think or how it might tarnish a reputation.
Date: December 15, 2009 01:28PM
Posted by: Ali
It is ok for me, but it is important to put things in the right place from the beginning. I mean, I don't expect Schumacher to be world champion. In fact, I don't expect him to beat Rosberg. When Jordan returned to play in 2002 with Washington he was already 40 (or close) so I think people was not expecting him to dominate so he did a decent job for his age without being the same.
So Schuamcher return should be considered in a similar way, after 3 full seasons without racing, rule changes...
He would have some good races (if the car is good enough) but if McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull have a good car, I don't see him fighting with Hamilton, Alonso, Massa, Vettel etc...

But still, good for F1!
Date: December 15, 2009 01:31PM
Posted by: Ali
danm Wrote:
> Alonso has charisma and character.
>

Well, he has a different stile anyway, he has character, no doubt, but not that charisma. I think he is one of all time best, just that he has not been in the right place as Schumacher was back in middle 90s. Still, I think Ferrari hopes he is a similar character to Schumacher.
Date: December 15, 2009 02:00PM
Posted by: EC83
Ferrari would be OK about him racing for Merc:

[www.thefirstpost.co.uk]

Heard this on Radio 1 first thing this morning, and it's actually the biggest stumbling block removed IMO :)

Date: December 15, 2009 02:26PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I don't believe for a minute that they would be happy for him to leave, but it just means they can't stop him.

They had built up 14 years of brand association, and him going to a rival car company can't be a good thing for him.

As for Schumacher's return, it would be another fascinating aspect to the season! Not good for Rosberg though, Schumacher is going to want to shape the team around him again (depending if he is in for the long haul or not though, i suppose)

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy