Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ

Posted by rapid_f1 
Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ
Date: November 20, 2009 05:16PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
[news.bbc.co.uk]

who saw that coming if its true. what does eddie know that everyone else doesnt?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Re: Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ
Date: November 20, 2009 05:17PM
Posted by: elemental
This is Eddie Jordan who told us that Massa simply had "a whack on the chin" at Hungary and wasn't a serious incident at all.
Date: November 20, 2009 05:18PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
absolutely so i treat it with huge skepticism...some things interesting in the article

"Schumacher's contract with the company was changed recently to remove him from any links with the F1 team, for which he was a consultant.

He is now an ambassador, consultant and test driver for the company's road car arm."

Not that that is unusual eally as I cannot see what he contributed to the f1 side at all.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: November 20, 2009 05:19PM
Posted by: elemental
Pity BBC aren't treating it with the same skepticism...went on the bbc website and saw "Schumacher to drive for Mercedes". Suppose you did aswell.
Date: November 20, 2009 05:27PM
Posted by: senninho
elemental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is Eddie Jordan who told us that Massa simply
> had "a whack on the chin" at Hungary and wasn't a
> serious incident at all.

My thoughts exactly, when i read he was the source.

Still, that would be awesome - i wouldn't be surprised if he still has ties with them from the sportscar days.

Date: November 20, 2009 06:30PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Frankly, IF he does join Mercedes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a consultency role like what he has at Ferrari, rather than a driving one.

Date: November 20, 2009 07:06PM
Posted by: EC83
Here's another article on it, and this one seems to be more balanced:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: November 20, 2009 07:08PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It would be fascinating to see it happen, but I don't think it will happen.

But the fact that Kimi and now Michael have been linked to this seat can't be good news for Heidfeld.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 20, 2009 07:18PM
Posted by: Isaint
Yep that one seems much more, balanced and I agree, if Eddie Jordan said good morning to me, I'd check just to see that it wasn't night time.
Man, ...... I don't even want to dream that this may be possible the dissapointment would be too much a second time round but that would just make my Christmas if it were ever confirmed. :-) Bring on 2010!!

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 08:23PM by Isaint.
Date: November 20, 2009 08:25PM
Posted by: Guimengo
does Mika have Mercedes links thru McLaren?

MS and MH in the grid in 2010 ;).
Date: November 20, 2009 09:01PM
Posted by: Nickv
I'd be very surprised if MS would sign at Mercedes for any role. But then again, I've been surprised a lot lately, so who knows, it might just happen.
Date: November 20, 2009 09:16PM
Posted by: drafi5
Schumi will NEVER join Mercedes GP, don´t believe what people say or write,
it is stil the silly season, only rumours and speculations, no facts at all...

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Date: November 20, 2009 10:14PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Imagine 2010 with Schumi, Hamilton, Alonso, Villeneuve, Vettel, Button, Webber.
Imagine! I can't see it happening, but I hope it does so much.

Date: December 12, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: LS.
Michael Schumacher's possible return to action with Mercedes in 2010 has been the hot topic in Formula 1 circles since BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan first put meat on the bones of the vague rumours last month - and it is now looking increasingly likely to happen.

Bosses at the Mercedes team have all scrupulously avoided dampening down the speculation in the last couple of weeks, with the latest remarks coming from chief executive Nick Fry, who said a comeback by the seven-time champion would be "very interesting".

And this morning, the German tabloid Bild reported that Mercedes had offered Schumacher a salary of seven million euros (£6.3m).

On top of that, my information is increasingly that Schumacher's return as Nico Rosberg's team-mate is looking like a done deal.

Jordan says he thinks it will now definitely happen - and he believes it is only subject to a medical examination by leading F1 physician Dr Johannes Piel on the neck injury that stopped him returning as a replacement for Felipe Massa last summer.

Other sources are pointing in the same direction.

One figure who until recently had a senior role at Ferrari, who would have to release Schumacher from his consultancy contract, is saying it is definitely going to happen.

And I received cast-iron information from a reliable source this morning about the plans of those potentially affected by Schumacher's decision that, shall we say, points very strongly to him driving for Mercedes in 2010. (If that sounds vague, I'm sorry, but I was told in confidence and cannot reveal any more).

Armed with this mounting evidence, I phoned Schumacher's media spokeswoman Sabine Kehm to ask her what was going on with her client.

She is normally very forthcoming - it was Kehm who gave me the information with which BBC Sport broke the story back in July that Schumacher would consider a return as a stand-in for Massa.

At the time of Jordan's remarks she said a return was "highly unlikely", but that she "would never say never". But this time, although as friendly as ever, she was unusually reticent.

"I haven't got any more to say," she said. "I don't want to tell you anything, for whatever reason. I don't want to go into it any more."

Is that because you have nothing to say, I asked, or because you can't say anything?

"Because I can't."

I realise that none of this is definitive evidence that Schumacher will be back in F1 in 2010. But I have to admit that, after being initially sceptical about it, I'm now increasingly convinced that it could well come true.

Schumacher continues to go karting when he can - is it in preparation for an F1 return?

If Schumacher does come back, it raises a whole load of interesting questions. The first of those is probably why, when he will be 41 in January and has absolutely nothing to prove, would he want to?

Until Schumacher himself speaks, there is no definitive answer to that. But it is pretty obvious that the competition bug still bites him hard - he drives karts as often as he can, and won Massa's karting challenge in Brazil last month.

It would also be a neat book-end to his F1 career - Mercedes, for whom he was driving in sportscars at the time, paid for him to make his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991, but he has never driven in a grand prix for them. He would also be continuing his relationship with Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn, who has masterminded all his seven titles, two at Benetton and five at Ferrari.

There is, though, also the issue of whether his neck has fully healed - but Kehm has already said that there is no reason to believe it won't have done by the end of the year.

Schumacher, Kehm and Brawn have all said that he is not interested in a new career. But that is not what this would be about, should it happen. At 41, any comeback by Schumacher is necessarily going to be short, but then this one only has to be.

Mercedes have already signed Rosberg for 2010 but, promising though the German is, he is not considered to be of the same calibre as Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, who will be leading the challenges of McLaren and Ferrari, nor of Jenson Button, Hamilton's new team-mate, or Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull.

And although Nick Heidfeld, widely believed to be Mercedes's second choice as Rosberg's team-mate, is a consistent, reliable performer, he isn't either.

Vettel is Mercedes's main target - but they cannot have him for 2010 as he has a contract with Red Bull. That deal also lasts through 2011, but it is believed Mercedes will make strenuous efforts to prise the 22-year-old out of that deal during next year with a view to having him lead their team in 2011.

With that in mind, Mercedes need a stop-gap for 2010. And while Heidfeld would certainly be a decent one of those, he is not going to have the same impact, on and off the track, as Schumacher. After all, given the choice, who would you go for?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 12, 2009 07:57PM
Posted by: Muks_C
you phoned Schumacher's spokeswoman, LS? ;)

i read that article, it's written by BBC F1 correspondent Andrew Benson.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 12, 2009 08:28PM
Posted by: EC83
The rumours about it aren't going away:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

It'd be awesome if it happened, but we should soon know either way I guess.
Definitely, if the only thing stopping him him signing now is getting a medical all-clear for his neck, as it's being reported, then I don't see that causing a problem. It's been nearly a year now since the injury happened, will be over a year by the time the season starts, and he will have had plenty of work done on it to help the healing process.

Date: December 12, 2009 08:49PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
The rumours about it aren't going away:

www.telegraph.co.uk

They're all coming from the same place though. A place notoriously unreliable. I'd read more into the lack of denial, and even that doesn't say much in the off-season.
Date: December 12, 2009 08:52PM
Posted by: Slash
either that or Mercedes with Brawn asked Schumacher to keep quiet to any rumors as a favour to his friendship..

after all they might need to secure some sponsors, and the Mercedes GP name keeps appearing in the news every 2 days
Date: December 12, 2009 09:45PM
Posted by: Nickv
[f1.gpupdate.net]

It's only the unreliable sources claiming it's true. Bild has joined the fun.
Date: December 13, 2009 02:36AM
Posted by: chet
Nick Fry's Q&A the other day didnt say no like id expect him too.

I really hope this is true. Schumacher verses Lewis and Button would be awesome! He's already raced Alonso (and lost :p) but to see Button and Lewis go up against him head-to-head would be a treat. Button didnt get the chance in 04, and Lewis has not been fortunate enough to race him yet. Fireworks is a sure thing.

There is of course the thought of Schumacher losing his edge, but thats bollocks IMO. He will be as strong as ever nad I personally hope every race is a Brazil 06!! His contract will be max 2 years, and id be supprised if he drove '11 so he will be all out every race.

The only reason against him coming back would be the Lewis/Button (me)/Alonso/Massa/Nico fanboys saying MS lost against my driver, therefore my driver is better blah blah blah. I admit, if Jenson did beat MS, then I would be filled with a warm feeling of satisfaction :p I would not consider the circumstances and I would take the grey as black and white, as simple a Button beat MS and thats that. and thats a bad thing, and 90% of F1 fans are like that. Lewis fanboys would have a field-day if he beat MS. Then it would turn into an Alonso v's Lewis argument...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy