Re: Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ
Date: December 18, 2009 11:15PM
Posted by: Muks_C
"I've never had a dreeeeam coooome truuuue..."

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 19, 2009 07:32AM
Posted by: EC83
"A guy called Michael Schumacher told us at Monza (in September) he would renew his (Ferrari consultancy) contract," Di Montezemolo said. "And it looked like his career would finish with Ferrari.

"But then there's another one who looks like him, 40, 41 yrs old, German, same name and decided to do a new career.

"Everybody in life can do what they prefer, and I understand that there is somebody at 41 years who wants to try again.

"So I think it's possible this twin, another Michael Schumacher, same age, same capability, some determination and spirit, will drive for Mercedes next year."

So Ferrari are nowhere near as happy with him for this as I first thought. Ooh, juicy!
Nothing like a bit of controversy to thicken the plot. :D
(And for the record, I admire and respect him 100% if he's followed his heart.)

BTW Muks, LOL at your sig!

Date: December 19, 2009 10:22AM
Posted by: J i m
Montezemolo is possibly bitter that he is unable to add a 3rd car to his team for Schumacher. He was hilariously advocating 3 car teams (whilst whining about the new teams) for much of the year.

Obviously with both race seats contracted, it'd be difficult to simply say "sorry Felipe" or "sorry Fernando" and rip up their deals, he knows Schumacher is willing to comeback and it increasingly looks like he is ready and there is a decent drive available elsewhere.

Montezemolo is used to having things his own way, but now it looks like he's losing one of his best assets to another team and his vineyard has turned sour. :P

Date: December 19, 2009 11:30AM
Posted by: senninho
It really does smack of 'we don't want him to do it, but we can't stop him' tbh.

Date: December 19, 2009 11:31AM
Posted by: LS.
or perhaps Michael didnt relish going up against Alonso in equal equipment, and opted for the easy option, Mercedes/ Rosberg

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 19, 2009 12:10PM
Posted by: tripleM
i'm pretty sure that schumacher is not that much of a dick to ask for ferrari to break massa's contract

Date: December 19, 2009 12:19PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> or perhaps Michael didnt relish going up against
> Alonso in equal equipment, and opted for the easy
> option, Mercedes/ Rosberg

Given one of the stated reasons for Michael retiring was so "his friend" Fellipe could have a safe drive, I doubt he'll suddenly swing that round and demand his contract be broken.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 19, 2009 06:24PM
Posted by: Nickv
senninho Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It really does smack of 'we don't want him to do
> it, but we can't stop him' tbh.

Yes that's pretty much it. What I've read is that Ferrari morally can't keep MS to his contract due to all the successes he's brought them.
Date: December 19, 2009 06:55PM
Posted by: Frantic
Anyway, MS is German, and the first good team that trusted him was Mercedes

Date: December 19, 2009 10:17PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
and now is time to say :

IMagine if Michael doesnt manage to do it with his return .... he will be totally down
1)he will not be the same ferrrari idiol,
2) it would be 2nd unsuccesful attempt to return...
3) (and less important) --> he will have no longer job and from a great fighter to comeback , he will turn into just retired former f1 champion.....\

i really hope it doesnt happen , because i am a crazy fan of his :), but thats why life is sooo interesting ;)

+ if michael comes back ferrari will do their best best best to destroy mercedes andschumaccher , ... FOR SURE ;)
Date: December 19, 2009 10:38PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
or at least to proove that they are better
Date: December 19, 2009 11:38PM
if he fails to score a single point for Mercedes, that doesn't take away from his career and all his past successes. for what he did at Ferrari with Ross' help, he will always be a legend, that won't be destroyed if his comeback goes badly.

and after all he has done for Ferrari, i doubt they would intentionally do anything to harm him. sure they'd want to beat Mercedes, but no more than they'd want to beat McLaren or any other team.

Date: December 20, 2009 01:28PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
To be perfectly honest, he shouldn't care about all this. If he wants to drive, he should return. If he doesn't want to, he shouldn't. If he does badly, he won't erase his achievements. If he does well he will only add to them.

What do people remember Mansell for? Winning the title, and being the British Hero, always putting up a fight to the end? Or a couple of races in the 1995 McLaren?
What do people remember Damon Hill for? The emotional win at Suzuka, with Murrays legendary commentary? Or 98s team orders joke, and the 99 retirement?

The list can go on and on. Drivers who do well are remembered for doing well, and nobody has done as well as Schumacher has.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 20, 2009 01:46PM
Posted by: chet
I think the thought of him being slow is unthinkable.

If Merc give a race-winning car, and i expect them too then he will be in the title hunt, 100%.

I dont want to repeat myself but next season, if he comes back will be a classic!

If he is slower than expected then the only people who will care are the Lewis and Alonso lovers. Most of us as you say Dave will remember the stuff worth remembering. But yeah its my opinion if he comes back he will be as good as ever, if not better.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 20, 2009 03:51PM
i can't believe people are putting him in the title hunt before he's even moved to the team or driven the car. i think mostly points finishes and a couple of podiums will be as good as he will do. remember Merc won't have the car advantage Brawn had at the start of '09 as the rules are stable and a few teams caught and beat Brawn towards the end of the season.

Date: December 20, 2009 04:26PM
If Lewis didnt retire in Abu Dhabi it would have been a good show of where the teams are at... But as stated many times, Brawn took the risk to again concentrate on '10 on the assumption the title was sewn up. Though the changes are not so big for next year (renault maybe will contest that regarding tyre widths :p), Mercedes will provide a winning car again. In no way was it a fluke or lucky because Mclaren and Ferrari f*cked up. Perhaps Merc mroe so than RB IMO will be able to provide a winning car year after year now.

It is silly to assume he will be in the title hunt before a contract is signed (??) but its a talking point, and a fully legit point. Maybe as a fan you dont wish to over-hype the comeback incase he doesnt meet expectations, but theres no way in the world the most successful driver in the sport in the history will just be there to collect points, if he has the car he will win.

Date: December 20, 2009 04:50PM
well you can say that about any and every driver. i hate it when people say "if he had the car, he'd win", well derrr, no sh!t Sherlock!

but yeah, i don't want to hype his comeback expecting him to win races and be in the title fight, then be disappointed if he can only get points and podiums.

Date: December 20, 2009 05:04PM
What i read from your post is that you dont expect him to perform as before, as you said podiums and points at best.

My point about the winning was, if he has a car then he will win. he wont collect points or podiums at best, he will win.

edit - as much as i like Vettel I want both Nico and Schumacher to show Vettel the way :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 05:07PM by chet.
Date: December 20, 2009 05:20PM
after 3 seasons out, despite the odd test here and there, he's bound to perform slighter lower than he did when he retired. don't forget he will be 41 years old too, and no matter what fitness regime he might have kept since retiring, it won't have been as intense as when he was racing.

he will run the car to its maximum, and so it goes without saying that if the car can win, he will win. if the car is a podiums car, he will get podiums. but that applies to every driver and their respective car.

but before the car has ever hit the track, and before he has even signed for the team and driven it, it's ludicrous to pit him as a title contender as some have done on previous pages, that's all my point was.

Date: December 20, 2009 05:32PM
Posted by: Nickv
@ Chet: If I had the winning car, I'd win. The question is if Mercedes will build a winning car or not. You seem very confident that they will. Who are you? Nostradamus? What tells you that Mercedes can't fall back? It's happened to Renault, it's happened to Williams, it's happened to McLaren and even to Ferrari. But why won't it happen to Mercedes? What tells you that they won't? Have you had access to Mercedes' secret files? Are you their chief aero designer? Are you an allseeing God? Nothing, but really actually totally nothing tells us right now who'll build a race winning car and who won't. Me saying that FI will build a race winning car are as well funded as you saying that Mercedes will build a race winning car. Any posts like 'Team A WILL build a race winning car' are based on nothing but hope or your wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 05:33PM by Nickv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy