Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ

Posted by rapid_f1 
Re: Schumacher to join Mercedes according to EJ
Date: December 13, 2009 04:54AM
Posted by: EC83
I really hope this is true. Schumacher verses Lewis and Button would be awesome! He's already raced Alonso (and lost :p) but to see Button and Lewis go up against him head-to-head would be a treat.

Personally it would be Schumacher v Hamilton v Alonso v Vettel which I would look forward to. Jenson might be the current Champ, making him the guy to beat on paper, but he's naturally a tier down on those guys in my opinion, and I think 2010 will highlight this.

I agree with what you say about him still being his old self if he does return though. He'd probably be a bit rusty to begin with, and he'd have to work hard to adapt to a 2010 car after not having raced since 2006. But you don't have ability like he had and then just lose it by taking 3 years off.

Date: December 13, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: gav
And it's not like Schumacher hasn't already raced Button when Button has had a good car.

If he wants to come back, and his neck allows it, then he'll do fine. It's when he's 50/50 about it, then you and he would question his motivation at some point, and he would regret it. If he does things the way Schumacher usually does things, then there's no reason for him to be lacking.

For the record, had Schumacher come back mid-2009 as he'd planned, I think he'd have regretted it. Clearly that car was a very difficult car to learn, and while I've no doubt he would have done better than Fisi, I think he'd have looked very, very average. With the same pre-season as everyone else, and no KERS to affect the brakes, he'd well up to speed come Bahrain. :)

Should he comeback, my only complaint would be Kimi wouldn't be around. Need more World Champions! Come on Jacques - if Schumacher can, you can too!. :P
Date: December 13, 2009 01:29PM
Posted by: Fincent
I would love to see Jaques back, Im sure his driving style would suit these newer cars! However options are starting to run out as Fernandez confirmed that Villeneuve is not on his shortlist of drivers. Realistically that leaves USF1, Campos and Sauber as Im sure none of the existing teams would be interested in picking him back up again. The new teams would probably benefit from his experience, probably why Lotus are keen on Trulli. If I had to pick a team I would say Sauber. He has been there before in the past, knows the team and would make the whole process easier for him. USF1 would be the ideal team but they need drivers to pay them, not the other way around and Campos are more likely to pluck a rookie out of last years GP2.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: December 13, 2009 08:23PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
guys , i am a big fan of Michael , but what i 've seen from videos and season reviews is , that what maked michaelschumacher special and so faast, is his ability to drive on the limit.

after having a family and wife, and so much to lose , i dont think he will risk so much , like he was doing to mid 2000 perhaps.

or do you rhink he will drive the hell out of him and be the same old " schumal" shumi we all kno (and love) :P:P
Date: December 13, 2009 08:29PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i don't think he would give any less than 100% if he came back. after all, he knows for himself that his reputation is on the line if he comes back, so he wouldn't purposely go any slower or be less commited than the maximum he could go.

he had kids for years before he retired and he didn't seem any less commited than before did he?

he was always prone to silly mistakes throughout his career though, especially when battling closely, and that is what i fear if he came back. technically he'd be good, driving the car, but dicing with an opponent is where he might slip up.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 13, 2009 09:12PM
as for this mistakes i heard an interview of schumacher in 2000 or 1999 or 1998 wheere he said....
oooh it was exactly after caanada 1999 :P and Michael said : "i seem to make one mistake per year , i already made it here (in the wall of champions) and think that this wiil be the last for the season ". if you lok closely one mistake per year in close championchips is not so much , but when he got older his mistakes became more i think ,

not quite sure , however ;)
Date: December 13, 2009 09:25PM
Personally I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he made mistakes. Every driver does, and as Muks says, MS always has been prone to making his fair share of them in pressure situations anyway.
What would really disappoint me would be if he pulled any more stunts like Adelaide, Jerez, Silverstone 1998, Monaco 2006 etc.
If he could have a completely clean season, without trying to cheat or take the piss at any point, that would actually do his reputation a lot of good IMO.

Date: December 13, 2009 09:51PM
Posted by: tripleM
yeah right

when you classify passing under yellow as a "stunt" it's a bit rich to ask for a "completely clean" season

Date: December 13, 2009 10:12PM
Posted by: gav
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What would really disappoint me would be if he
> pulled any more stunts like Adelaide, Jerez,
> Silverstone 1998, Monaco 2006 etc.
> If he could have a completely clean season,
> without trying to cheat or take the piss at any
> point, that would actually do his reputation a lot
> of good IMO.

I'll grant the rest (though I still feel Adelaide in any other circumstance would have resulted in a Hill being penalised), but Silverstone '98 was pure brilliance from Brawn, or whoever made that call.
Date: December 13, 2009 10:28PM
Posted by: Muks_C
by mistakes i meant incidents like spinning off when JPM overtook him at Nurburgring, or him going off in a clumsy fashion at Hungary '06 when De La Rosa (i think, or was it Heidfeld?) overtook him at the chicane, rather than the title-deciding moments. when under threat in situations like those, you could almost predict it would be him rather than his opponent that would make a mistake.

but i hope he does come back.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 13, 2009 11:34PM
tripleM Wrote:
> yeah right
>
> when you classify passing under yellow as a
> "stunt" it's a bit rich to ask for a "completely
> clean" season

And when you post BS like this, it's a bit difficult to take your argument seriously. ;-)

gav Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What would really disappoint me would be if he
> > pulled any more stunts like Adelaide, Jerez,
> > Silverstone 1998, Monaco 2006 etc.
> > If he could have a completely clean season,
> > without trying to cheat or take the piss at any
> > point, that would actually do his reputation a
> lot
> > of good IMO.
>
> I'll grant the rest (though I still feel Adelaide
> in any other circumstance would have resulted in a
> Hill being penalised), but Silverstone '98 was
> pure brilliance from Brawn, or whoever made that
> call.

Hmm, yeah. I guess I was meaning the general tendency MS had of pushing his luck with the rules, and the controversy that was never far away from him etc. My bad if the winning of the race in the pitlane doesn't qualify as his doing, so to speak.

Muks_C Wrote:
> by mistakes i meant incidents like spinning off
> when JPM overtook him at Nurburgring, or him going
> off in a clumsy fashion at Hungary '06 when De La
> Rosa (i think, or was it Heidfeld?) overtook him
> at the chicane, rather than the title-deciding
> moments. when under threat in situations like
> those, you could almost predict it would be him
> rather than his opponent that would make a
> mistake.

Ah, got you now. Well, it could still be a different situation if he returned, since those times when he cracked still involved the extra pressure he had when fighting for a Championship; things would probably be much more relaxed in that sense, as he'd be going into the season with no guarantee of Merc being that competitive. But your point is a very good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 11:36PM by EC83.
Date: December 14, 2009 12:03AM
Posted by: Naboo
really didnt take long for this to turn into a MS is a cheat thread, I personally couldn't give two s**ts
Date: December 14, 2009 01:01AM
are you crazy ... i am a madman when it comes to shuey :P :P :P

i just wanted to comment on him, making mistakes . and actually if look back now at adelaide 1994 the whole thing with hill began after michael making mistake ... AGAIN , while being under big pressure :P

but he will come back , stronger , fitter and even more determined .. ]:) GO MICHAEL
Date: December 14, 2009 01:41AM
Naboo Wrote:
> really didnt take long for this to turn into a MS
> is a cheat thread, I personally couldn't give two
> s**ts

Yup, apologies for my part in that.

Back on topic, and the rumours about his comeback are continuing, but they're still coming from the same original sources as before, just being recycled by different ones.
So we're still waiting for a reliable source to inform us one way or the other, I guess.

Date: December 14, 2009 09:58AM
Posted by: marcl
I personally do not think he should come back, he was no longer at his best in his final 3 years.

Nico will be faster in quali than him and I cannot see MS lasting the year tbh, he could end up looking like Mansell.

MS can only lose really, I just can not see him winning. There are good drivers out there it will damage an already damaged reputation.

F1 does not need him, we have new rules, new point system and new teams we dont need an old past it driver back.

I still think the reason why he did not come back in 2009 was due to the fact he could not test the 2009 Ferrari.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 10:09AM by marcl.
Date: December 14, 2009 11:00AM
Posted by: J i m
I think if anybody can come back after three seasons out and be competitive it would be Michael Schumacher. Racing is obviously still in his system, and to suggest that he wasn't at the top of his game when he retired is unfair.

In 2005, the Ferrari was not capable of winning, in 2006 he took the fight to Alonso and had the clear measure of Massa, who overall has had the measure of Kimi, the man who was supposed to be Schumacher's long term replacement.

Furthermore, he did do the ocassional test after his retirement, he pace was always competitive or actually the pace, he helped Bridgestone develop the slicks and on his last proper test (not the test on Gp2 tyres) he was trading laptimes with Kimi, I know, I was there, I was watching the times, from the pitwall. That he could do that was impressive enough.

And in spite of his neck injury he's still racing karts when ever he can, and winning against his F1 rivals most of whom are still racing in F1, he's also still very much a man to beat in ROC.

If Schumacher returns with Mercedes, and the car is upto it, he can win races I have little doubt of that, and to hell with his reputation, there will always be two sides to Schumacher, those who idolise him and those who hate him. A comeback will do nothing to change this, and it will not take away 90+ wins and 7 championships. That reputation will always remain intact.

Date: December 14, 2009 12:12PM
Posted by: casabonka
Yeah, he was rubbish in his final 3 years...
WDC in 2004
Runner up in 06... utterly hopeless.

Im really torn, as I love Schumi, and would love to see him come back, but would hate to see him off the pace - Although, it would make me go to the Aussie GP if he does return!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: December 14, 2009 12:43PM
Posted by: marcl
He was not rubbish in his final 3 years just not as good and made some errors that he never used to.

As much as people say the Ferrari let him down in Japan and cost him the 2006 title the truth is he cost himself the title with the monaco thing and Hungry.
Date: December 14, 2009 01:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
What bugs me is people always said they wanted someone to beat Schumacher before he retired. Well Alonso did it. Twice.

Don't like Schumacher, but having him back would be quite fun and interesting. I'm all for it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 14, 2009 01:38PM
Posted by: J i m
People are saying that Schumacher was error prone in his last years.... but that isn't true. He was always error prone, particularly when under pressure, it's just that for a very long period he wasn't put under any pressure.

Take a look at his early years in F1... and he was renowned for finding the limit by exceeding it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy