FOTA Series

Posted by chet 
Re: FOTA Series
Date: June 23, 2009 03:23PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Hate that there is no Interlagos, Spa, Valencia, and Istanbul.
Date: June 23, 2009 03:38PM
Posted by: mcdo
What chance Bernie hobbling along Silverstone mid-race waving a placard?

If he's offering to scrap the budget caps for a 5 year agreement, is he also guaranteeing FIA won't try this all over again in that time?
Date: June 23, 2009 03:45PM
Posted by: EC83
As much as I'm against anything that threatens F1's existance, I can see this calendar having serious appeal to the purist F1 fans. Kudos for the inclusion of all the former F1 circuits. It looks like an interesting mix of old and new too.

Date: June 23, 2009 04:37PM
Posted by: marcl
I wish they could include Interlagos and Spa other than that its good.
Date: June 23, 2009 05:33PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Swap Spa for Abu Dhabi, and I'd be totally happy with it. But of course, BMW and Merc have huge markets there, so yeah, is what it is. Would be great to see Montreal back though.

Speaking of which... Let's say (for arguments sake) all this goes off without a hitch, and the F1 calendar remains fairly static, do you think that Team US F1 would jump ship and join the FOTA series for 2011(regardless of no budget capping) simply for being able to race in the US and Canadian races?

Date: June 23, 2009 05:46PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
No Spa and Interlagos? No friendship.
Date: June 23, 2009 05:54PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i'm sure they would have Spa and Interlagos if they could, but there must be some sort of contractual restrictions of this occuring.

are there any other Brazilian tracks that would be capable of holding a round? Jacarapagua has been demolished now, or hasn't that started yet? How about Curitiba?

Anyway, while it would be disappointing to have these races not on the calendar, i would still support a FOTA series over a FIA series, regardless of missing a few tracks. For example, I didn't stop watching F1 in 2003 or 2006 just because there was no Spa then. i would definitely follow both series though. even so, i am not convinced that the split will do any good in the long term.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 05:58PM by SchueyFan.
Date: June 23, 2009 06:09PM
I'm not sure if Curitiba would be an excelent alternative, it's not recognized as the highest standard by FIA's yet however FOTA not necessarily has to follow their rules, the layout suggests a style more pushing to old Hockenrheimring and Monza fashion, perhaps (hipotethically in case a race happens) they would even use the very low downforce wings:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 06:11PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: June 23, 2009 06:56PM
Posted by: msater
I like Curitiba, I use it for testing on Race 07, it's a nice track. If it could be upgraded and used for F1, I'd be fully behind that. Same for Brno.

Spa must have contractual restrictions, it's not like team owners like Whitmarsh and Brawn to let this go unmissed.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 23, 2009 07:42PM
Posted by: Frantic
What about Zandvoort? Or A1 Ring?

Anyway, F1 lost its best track more than 30 years ago... Nordschleife :)

And Argentina opening the season is magic!!

Date: June 23, 2009 07:44PM
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about(...)A1 Ring?

Date: June 23, 2009 07:54PM
ouch.. that hurts... how long is it like that?

Date: June 23, 2009 08:21PM
Can't precise that, though for quite some time yes.
Date: June 23, 2009 09:08PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Is that the old 80s track or the recent one? If its the recent one, then why have they destroyed it?

Date: June 23, 2009 11:21PM
Posted by: Naboo
what happened ro the track?

"Arguing on the internet is like taking part in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you're still retarded"
Date: June 23, 2009 11:35PM
Demolished. In second pic you can see what was supposed to be main straight/boxes exit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 11:36PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: June 23, 2009 11:53PM
Posted by: Monza972
Last I heard, Matashziicst(:p) was doing something with it. What happened now :(
Date: June 23, 2009 11:55PM
The grandstands and pit buildings were demolished in 2004, rendering the track unusable for any motorsport category. In later 2004 and early 2005, there were intense discussions whether the owner, Red Bull, would find another use for the site or actually bring back motor sports to it. However, as of January 2005, this seems more unlikely than ever, as Dietrich Mateschitz publicly announced that he had no intention to waste money on a deficitary circuit. This failure of the project, which was of considerable importance for the surrounding municipalities, may even have serious political repercussions, as Styrian governor Waltraud Klasnic had strongly supported the project.

In 2006, Austrian racing driver Alexander Wurz claimed he would buy the circuit and have it renovated, but little has come about this.

During the whole of 2005 there were speculations of Red Bull Racing renovating the track and using it as a personal testing track in Formula One. It remains to be seen if Mateschitz and his Red Bull Racing will do something about the abandoned track.

In 2007, talks involving Red Bull, KTM, VW and Magna International for a neuer Österreichring have failed after VW pulled out.[1]

In April 2008 the current owners of the track, Red Bull, were to restore the track as a racing venue and DTM chiefs were considering to return there for a race in 2009.[2][3] But in July 2008, the DTM organizers have decided not to include Österreichring into the 2009 program, although plans for the revival of the track are still under discussion.[4]

In October 2008, the track owner Dietrich Mateschitz has ruled out any chance for the track to host a MotoGP or a Formula One Grand Prix in the future, and it will only be used for DTM races. The rebuilt track will be finished by the end of 2010.

Date: June 23, 2009 11:59PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i'm pretty sure it's still being rebuilt rather than demolished.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: June 24, 2009 12:06AM
Those of you who have curiosity on the dead:

[www.circuitsofthepast.nl]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy