FOTA Series

Posted by chet 
Re: FOTA Series
Date: June 20, 2009 08:21AM
Posted by: EC83
I was about to come and post that exact same comment! Amazing that this news should break at the British GP, the final one planned for Silverstone, where the first ever F1 Grand Prix took place in May 1950.

It really seems like an omen. Hope it isn't.

Date: June 20, 2009 11:10AM
Posted by: sasjag
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rapid_f1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i think the major issue fota have is who is
> govern
> > the new series (if it happens?)
>
> The team owners will govern themselves, if that
> makes sense. It can happen, it's happened in the
> American Sport which I can't remember the name of.
> ;) Just F1 is a lot more expensive than this
> American Sport (It's either baseball or Ice
> Hockey).
>
> I agree with what The Lopper has said. FOTA may
> not be the best series, even it has the best
> drivers/teams/sponsors in. I kind of hope F1 will
> fade, then it will show the FIA a lesson.

The same baseball series which has had numerous 'stars' come out and say they used steroids to improve their performance, and the owners supposedly knew about but allowed to happen because it drew bigger crowds?

The same ice hockey which had to cancel a season because of disagreements over issues that couldn't be resolved?

For once I am on the FIAs side. I will watch f1 before fota anyday. The fota teams will all pull out when they realise they can't win, or they'll all start fighting the first time interprets rules differently. Like it or not, the fia have the best interests of the sport at heart. the teams can't spend themselves into oblivion as they currently are. yes, £40m is a bit low, but probably necessary. and nothing stopping teams using extra resources in different series ( McLaren Dtm for example)

I beleive teams also want a say in the rule making process, which is never a good thing. I understand they want more of the commercial pie as well, which is fair enough, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 20, 2009 08:20PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Several TV companies are looking to join the FOTA series, including the BBC:

[en.f1-live.com]
[en.f1-live.com]

Mosely's interview with the BBC made me feel a bit sympathetic towards him, but I've had that in the past with him, and I reckon it's another of his dirty plans. I think he tries to get the people on his side during interviews/meetings, but then goes against their will behind closed doors to fulfill his own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 20, 2009 08:25PM
Posted by: Nickv
Yeah I've had that too. He gave an interview to Dutch television some weeks ago and I thought 'now this man isn't as bad as he's been made out to be'.
Date: June 20, 2009 08:51PM
Posted by: tripleM
he should be judged by results, not appearances

Date: June 20, 2009 11:24PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Reports say FOTA already has technical and sport regulations done, already started contracting people alongside negotiations with 17 circuits in Europe.
Date: June 20, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: Frantic
Last minute: Bernie told to some journalists in Silverstone, that if the teams sign a contract to run in F1 for 5 years, all budget cap will be deleted... could be the key to the solution?

Date: June 21, 2009 12:51AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
thats only 1 of the issues.

fota dont agree with max's governance, chnaging the regs at will without consulting teams etc.

they want a bigger income from bernie.

they dont want standard engine.

but if anyone can, bernie can.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 21, 2009 03:04AM
Mosely's interview with the BBC made me feel a bit sympathetic towards him, but I've had that in the past with him, and I reckon it's another of his dirty plans.

He let his guard down a bit in the interview he did on the grid with Martin Brundle at Monza in 2006 after Alonso's daft grid drop penalty. In that one he comes across as quite the arse.

Date: June 21, 2009 06:40AM
Frantic Wrote:
> Last minute: Bernie told to some journalists in
> Silverstone, that if the teams sign a contract to
> run in F1 for 5 years, all budget cap will be
> deleted... could be the key to the solution?

Let's hope that's true. The only way to try and stop the FOTA series happening is to make more and more reasonable proposals in order to make FOTA look silly. And Bernie is an expert at these kinds of negotiations, as rapid_f1 says. Certainly, if this situation is pulled back from the brink it will be down to Bernie and not Max.

Date: June 21, 2009 12:06PM
except it makes no sense to commit to F1 as long as there's at least one team ala Manor around who will veto any attempts to do away with the cap

Date: June 22, 2009 11:08PM
Posted by: mika19b
An epic quote from Briatore ;)

When asked about comments from Mosley that he was a 'loony' Briatore responded: "I don't want to personally describe what Max is because in his private life we have already had a demonstration of what he was in the News of the World."

Take that Mosley LOL.

[www.autosport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 11:08PM by mika19b.
Date: June 22, 2009 11:34PM
Posted by: flat tyre
What's the reason that some people want to see a peace deal between the FOTA and FIA? In my view, the positives that could be gained from ditching the FIA and starting a completely new series far outweight the positives that could be gained by staying in F1.

As I see it, if FOTA stays in F1, the only positives will be that it'll still be 'Formula 1', with the same history, same statistics and same widespread recognition. But, if FOTA starts a new series (which is seeming very likely now), all of the negatives about current F1 can be potentially be abolished, and I think that's what FOTA see in it, too. They've stated several times what they aim to do, and most of it makes complete sense and will bring back what F1 has been missing for a very long time.

I've still got my fingers crossed that this breakaway does indeed happen. I think that it's 75% sure that it will happen, now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 23, 2009 12:35AM
Posted by: Red Sam
Why do we want the breakaway to happen? FOTA is controlled completely by car manufacturers. Give it two years, when 90% of them haven't won a race, and are arguing over the regulations, and FOTA will be no more.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again - manufacturers will never commit to F1 long term if the economic argument isn't right. All the breakaway would do is mean that teams like McLaren, Sauber, and the semi-independent teams like Red Bull will cease to exist once their manufacturer paymasters are gone.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: June 23, 2009 02:17AM
flat tyre Wrote:
> What's the reason that some people want to see a
> peace deal between the FOTA and FIA?

Because things will get bloody messy otherwise. I agree with Red Sam, a FOTA series if it happens won't last very long, not least because it would be run by too many big egos who would soon start bickering amongst themselves and others who would probably end up storming out before long because they weren't winning.

Date: June 23, 2009 02:23AM
gone just like Honda

Date: June 23, 2009 11:05AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Date: June 23, 2009 01:12PM
Posted by: Gigi4
www.autosport.com Wrote:
2010 FOTA 'breakaway' calendar leaked

A blueprint calendar for the Formula One Teams' Association's new breakaway series in 2010 has been leaked to the media – with no fewer than ten current or recent grand prix circuits listed amongst the 17 venues.

Whilst FIA President Max Mosley has contended that an agreement between the warring FIA/FOTA factions is now 'very, very close', the teams have retorted that it is anything but, and the publication of a provisional schedule is sure to raise the stakes even higher. The message from the teams to Mosley is clear – give us the governance and financial concessions we want, or we're out of here.

The naming of Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, Abu Dhabi and Singapore – all part of the 2009 F1 World Championship – is sure to raise a few eyebrows, not least with commercial rights-holder Bernie Ecclestone, whilst it seems the rebels have also been quick to jump in where the Formula One Management (FOM) chief executive has recently lost interest, with Imola, Montreal, Indianapolis, Magny-Cours and Suzuka all similarly part of the plan. By dint of its status, Monaco is the only circuit that does not pay Ecclestone the annual fee he charges countries for the honour of hosting a grand prix.

There is also a mooted return to Jerez – after the Southern Spanish track fell out of favour with F1 when the town's mayor appeared on the podium and presented a trophy that should have been given out by a dignitary from Daimler-Benz in light of McLaren-Mercedes' breakthrough one-two success – and possibly Adelaide, the popular home of Australian Grand Prix until 1996, when rival Melbourne took over.

However, the appearance of Adelaide on the schedule has been met with some scepticism by insiders, with the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport professing ignorance of any plans for the sport to return to the capital of South Australia, and motor racing consultant Mike Drewer suggesting that any speculation at the moment is just that – mere speculation.

“Not surprisingly Adelaide because it was very, very popular when it had Formula 1,” he told ABC Online. “Adelaide has been listed on a theoretical calendar, but it's a bit like trying to work out who might be the members of a cabinet if there was a change in government. A lot of journalists have got around and had a bit of a stab at it.”

Though there is no race in Brazil, South and Central America is represented by Argentina – though not the same Buenos Aires circuit as traditionally used to welcome the top flight – and Mexico, with both countries having featured on the F1 calendar in the past.

In Europe, meanwhile, there is the addition of the state-of-the-art Portimao track in Portugal, a country used much for testing but that has not hosted a grand prix since 1996, as well as the Lausitzring in Germany and a street circuit in Helsinki, Finland. Surfers' Paradise – which has hosted Champ Cars, IndyCars and V8s of late, and is due to stage A1GP in the World Cup of Motorsport's fourth campaign in 2009/10 – has been nominated as a reserve venue should any of the others not be up to the grade.

Ecclestone has also cast doubt upon the calendar, questioning its authenticity and arguing that the dissenting teams do not possess sufficient financial backing to go it alone and organise their own championship.

The full FOTA 2010 schedule, as published in The Guardian, is as follows:

3 March Buenos Aires Argentina
21 March Mexico City Mexico
11 April Jerez Spain
25 April Portimao Portugal
2 May Imola Italy
23 May Monte Carlo Monaco
6 June Montreal Canada
13 June Indianapolis United States
1 July Silverstone United Kingdom
25 July Magny-Cours France
15 August Laustizring Germany
29 August Helsinki Finland
12 September Monza Italy
26 September Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
10 October Marina Bay Singapore
24 October Suzuka Japan
8 November Adelaide or Surfers' Paradise Australia

Date: June 23, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Almost great but no Spa!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: June 23, 2009 03:16PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Looks a pretty good calender. But good/bad tracks aren't the problem.

How many constructors realistically are going to be in this if it happens, assuming Toyota and Renault were looking dodgy to still be in F1 next year pre this split? And are Ferrari going to be guaranteed the special treatment they got in F1?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy