FOTA Series

Posted by chet 
Re: FOTA Series
Date: June 19, 2009 09:57PM
Posted by: msater
Yeah, maybe they've just announced it now, but they've been planning it in 'secret' for months without anyone realising.

If so, what we're saying about costs and stuff could all be irrelevant, because FOTA have already got it all sussed out.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 19, 2009 10:03PM
Posted by: The Lopper
If FOTA were to use 'traditional' tracks, they'd be screwed. Sure the racing would be better, but I think from a commercial point of view it'd be a disaster. They don't have the money as it is.

Personally I don't think FOTA have the ability to pull this off. They won't have the ability to run the series at the same level as F1, unless all the F1 organisers etc jump ship. F1 is a powerful name. Even with a reduced field it'll still draw viewers, me being one of them. Their plans for their series will be conducive to better racing; FOTA, looking for more technical freedom, will, I feel, be boring. If this split were to happen, it'll probably end up killing both series.

In the boom years, this split would have made sense. In the middle of this recession its suicide. I'm still saying it'll all work out grand in the end, like when I said Brawn were going to be off the pace. ;)

//Edit: Suppose a new FOTA forum should be included along with the Nickv forum in the site update, mortal ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 10:09PM by The Lopper.
Date: June 19, 2009 10:10PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
just bcos its called f1 you would watch it even if its crap?

and why do people keep saying they wont be able to get to the same level as current f1 in 2010? of course they cant it takes time.

i think the major issue fota have is who is govern the new series (if it happens?)

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 10:11PM by rapid_f1.
Date: June 19, 2009 10:12PM
Posted by: Nickv
flat tyre schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was under the assumption that FOTA would
> organize the creation of the new series - I
> thought that FOTA would not govern it, but it
> would create a new governing body to act as the
> referee? Surely they're intelligent enough to
> realise that the governing body would collapse if
> it had biased team representetives running it?

If the FOTA set up some sort of governing body, sooner or later one or more teams will again be unsatisfied with some kind of rule. There has been controvsery and anger about rules in F1 for as long as I can remember. Always there was some team that was against a new rule. Always a political game with emergancy meetings would follow.
With a new governing body, this will happen again sooner or later. You can't always please everybody all the time. And when you can't please everybody, the not pleased people will start threatening to leave or whatever suits them at that time. It's happening now, it's happened in the past and it will probably happen in the future. Regardless of who is in charge.
Date: June 19, 2009 10:34PM
Posted by: tripleM
uh, it can be done and it has been done

Date: June 19, 2009 10:36PM
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> just bcos its called f1 you would watch it even if
> its crap?
>

If it's crap I won't watch it. Just like if FOTA is crap I won't watch it.
Date: June 19, 2009 10:45PM
Posted by: Frantic
I think we will finnish seeing The Muppets Show or Sesame Street next year ;)

Date: June 19, 2009 10:45PM
yeah but you seem to suggest that "F1 is a powerful name. Even with a reduced field it'll still draw viewers, me being one of them" you would watch it irrespective.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 19, 2009 10:56PM
Reduced doesn't mean crap. The F1 name will still be a big draw. People who know little about the sport but watch it every now and then will know the name F1. Companies will know the name F1. I know the name F1. F1 has provided me with entertainment for some 15 years now. I'm not going to turn my back on it just because a load of teams I don't really care about are gone off doing something else. In fact two of the teams I would support the most at the moment, Williams and Force India, will be in F1 next year. Particularly since Damon Hill and Jordan departed F1, I have pretty much become a neutral fan. I support the series itself. I will watch FOTA too, if I will be able to (have no idea what it would be broadcast on, but BBC should still show F1) and if FOTA is better than F1, then after a time I will become a FOTA man rather than F1. But there is no reason, absolutely none, for me to support FOTA over F1 at the moment as it stands.
Date: June 19, 2009 11:05PM
Posted by: msater
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> i think the major issue fota have is who is govern
> the new series (if it happens?)

The team owners will govern themselves, if that makes sense. It can happen, it's happened in the American Sport which I can't remember the name of. ;) Just F1 is a lot more expensive than this American Sport (It's either baseball or Ice Hockey).

I agree with what The Lopper has said. FOTA may not be the best series, even it has the best drivers/teams/sponsors in. I kind of hope F1 will fade, then it will show the FIA a lesson.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 19, 2009 11:20PM
Posted by: dierome
Anyway.......it does seem to be a shame........What about the records, all the history??? That will go away with the death of F1.......The FOTA championship won't have the rights to the names, nor to all the statistics of 60 years of grand prix racing...........What a mess........
But on the plus side.........It would be great if the FOTA championship features Imola, Estoril, Spa, Silverstone, Montreal and all those other tracks F1 used to be famous for.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 11:24PM by dierome.
Date: June 19, 2009 11:23PM
Posted by: davidm
I think as Triple M said "it can be done" and that is 100% correct. For a start without FOM its 50% cheaper, at a minimum. Italian TV will always follow Ferrari, other TV stations will pick up (UK ITV for example) etc etc. New teams will go with FOTA because they can achieve the same thing at half the cost and less etc etc. I heard a senior lawyer on Radio 5 Live this evening and the FIA threat is in legal terms apparently a complete joke. They are buying time and in effect sunk. It is quite possible to use another reputable body to govern the sport. For those who say you can't go back to traditional tracks - thats utter nonsense. No you can't if Ecclestone and his mob have to recover a profit. Without them its a very different story. Also, think about all the cost saving the FIA talk about - has that applied to their management, administration etc or even more the FOM? No way. If FOTA have even halfway investigated this it can be done easily. Its simple management and logistics, the sponsors and money is already there.
Date: June 19, 2009 11:23PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
The Lopper Wrote:
> Reduced doesn't mean crap. The F1 name will still
> be a big draw. People who know little about the
> sport but watch it every now and then will know
> the name F1. Companies will know the name F1. I
> know the name F1. F1 has provided me with
> entertainment for some 15 years now. I'm not going
> to turn my back on it just because a load of teams
> I don't really care about are gone off doing
> something else. In fact two of the teams I would
> support the most at the moment, Williams and Force
> India, will be in F1 next year. Particularly since
> Damon Hill and Jordan departed F1, I have pretty
> much become a neutral fan. I support the series
> itself. I will watch FOTA too, if I will be able
> to (have no idea what it would be broadcast on,
> but BBC should still show F1) and if FOTA is
> better than F1, then after a time I will become a
> FOTA man rather than F1. But there is no reason,
> absolutely none, for me to support FOTA over F1 at
> the moment as it stands.

Nice post mate, agree with you that just because these teams are gone does not automatically kill F1 as a sport

If FOTA go ahead with the idea I'll watch both and see what I prefer, if FOTA is any good then I'll watch

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: June 20, 2009 01:15AM
for sure reduced doesnt mean crap, infact fota series may turn out to be the biggest pile of rubbish ever with all those winglets returning etc. but whether its called f1 or peanuts matters not a jot.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 20, 2009 02:58AM
Posted by: gin
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> yeah but you seem to suggest that "F1 is a
> powerful name. Even with a reduced field it'll
> still draw viewers, me being one of them" you
> would watch it irrespective.

thats the point, nobody will boycott one or the other. People will just quietly watch both. And yes F1 is too strong of a name to die, everyone knows what f1 is and therefore this series will get the most attention, even if there are only two teams in it :)

Date: June 20, 2009 03:07AM
Posted by: tripleM
even when on at the same time?

Date: June 20, 2009 03:07AM
Posted by: EC83
What a frantic 24 hours(no pun intended).

Don't know about anyone else, but I get the feeling FOTA could have been planning this ever since the FIA first announced the budget cap back in March.

For sure, on paper FOTA have some things going for them if this series does go ahead. For example, because it won't be an FIA series, as said already, it wouldn't have to stick to Grade 1 circuits, so while some of the races would be held at the newer F1-specific tracks for hospitality purposes etc, some of the old classics would be used too, and that would definitely interest fans who have been disappointed by F1's insistance on using blander and blander tracks. Imola, Montreal, Indy, Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Jerez, Kyalami, Portugal Algarve(Estoril) and others would all be serious candidates. Also, Brno and Losail could be used, as well as other tracks in America.

At the same time, I don't see F1 just imploding if the FOTA series does go ahead. There are many more teams besides the ones which have left F1 for FOTA(Lola etc) which didn't get in originally, and surely will just be let in if the sport's future depends on it. Also, other new teams could be put together from scratch between now and the end of this year. For all these new teams, the budget cap would play beautifully into their hands.

Personally, I'll be keeping the faith in F1 until it does implode. As the sport that first got me hooked on motorsport 20 years ago, it'll always be the one that means the most to me.
That doesn't mean I won't be taking a keen interest in the development of the FOTA series, assuming it happens.

Oh, and Max is toast now, surely. I can't see him being re-elected now that this has kicked off. That might even be one of the reasons FOTA are doing this.

Date: June 20, 2009 03:10AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Guimengo Wrote:
> Ed, they could also run in Le Mans :P

have another look, i already mentioned it ;)

but yes, even if was only the Bugatti circuit, it would be great to see F1 at this circuit!

Of course FOTA wouldn't care that much about brand new facilities or government money, so even tracks like Mexico City or Buenos Aires could be considered, and i'm sure the manufacturers would want to have a strong presence in North/South America.

tripleM Wrote:
> even when on at the same time?

exactly, i'm sure FOTA would put them on at the same time to make sure F1's sponsorship and TV deals were well and truly screwed.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2009 03:12AM by SchueyFan.
Date: June 20, 2009 04:38AM
Posted by: Slash
F1 will die in no time, who would want to invest in it when all the big names and companies are in another series?, this world is all about the money, no company invest in F1 because of the history or who raced when and where, but becausehow much they can make, and FOTA can come up with a lot of it

and who on earth says that the series will start in march as it does F1?, why are people talking about FOTA failing to create the series because they will not have enough time to start a series and run it y March??, who gave that deadline?
Remember they will be apart from FIA, as far as i know, the series could start by mid 2010 or 2011

it could all be just to remove Mosley from his position and F1 might continue as usual, but Mosley seems very nervous and very irregular on his statements, at least some that i have read, the fact that he kees saying that there's no way the series can be created and that FIA will take legal action against Ferrari shows how sure he is about teams not competing

if FOTA create a series as they claim it would be, we would have cheaper tickets, the rules might be good for the racing, and whio knows, we might even see some of this historic race tracks come back because it might be even cheaper for them

everybody claims they want change and stuff and rules been changing for the last 10 years but no one likes it, since 2004 we had 5 different champions and no one likes it, and now a new series will be created, and everybody is panicking...
Date: June 20, 2009 08:06AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Irony of a life, f1 born in Silverstone, passing away in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy