FOTA Series

Posted by chet 
Re: FOTA Series
Date: June 19, 2009 09:41AM
Posted by: superchargednut
It is NOT good news. It will not survive.

Date: June 19, 2009 10:02AM
Posted by: gav
SexySam182 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well when you think about it a series run by the
> teams makes perfect sense.
>
> By cutting out the middle man (Bernie), the teams
> themselves will recieve all the money from TV
> deals, meaning they will make a profit, and then
> wont charge the circuits exorbitant fees to host
> the race (welcome back Silverstone, Montreal). New
> teams will be able to enter because the FOTA
> series would actually be a viable business for
> them.

A sport run by the teams will have all the mod-cons (TC, LC, climate control, god control) and will be out to make as much money as possible.

How well that translates to being of any value to watch remains to be seen.

I still think the teams are taking a rather tough stand. Clearly Max is willing to negotiate the fee, but the teams want it to be some 9-figure sum, which is just preposterous in my opinion, regardless of whether a sliding scale is in place or not.

If teams are so desperate to use more money or save jobs, enter another series, like LMS.
Date: June 19, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: marwood82
i'm still struggling to see where the money is going to come from to pay to set this up?
Date: June 19, 2009 10:27AM
Posted by: chet
climate control, god control

LOL!!!!

Marwood, exactly! Me too? Surley the manufacturers would have to pay?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 19, 2009 10:29AM
Posted by: Team CLR
Not THAT surprising, there have been rumbles from FOTA for years, guess this recent fracas was just the final straw.

But even if the FOTA series does take off, it'll be super tough for them to be ready for 2010, it would leave them only 8 months to get everything set up and organised, UNLESS they've already been planning this already, while negotiating with the FIA.

I've got the same feeling as NickV, once the common enemy is gone, the FOTA brass would likely turn on each other the minute an issue comes up.
You need someone who is a strong leader to keep it all together, that picture in the captions thread with the drivers being made to look like babies, would work just as well with the team bosses faces on it.

We give Max a LOT of stick ,but it can't be easy keeping all those egos working together, must be like herding cats.

Date: June 19, 2009 10:36AM
Team CLR Wrote:
> Not THAT surprising, there have been rumbles from
> FOTA for years, guess this recent fracas was just
> the final straw.
>
> But even if the FOTA series does take off, it'll
> be super tough for them to be ready for 2010, it
> would leave them only 8 months to get everything
> set up and organised, UNLESS they've already been
> planning this already, while negotiating with the
> FIA.

i've been thinking the same thing.

but all the indicators so far suggest that they haven't got far.(bar putting a few feelers out)

contractual issues asside, one of the reasons Williams signed up unconditionally was that no-one from FOTA was saying to them 'come and join our series' i.e there was no other series on the table.

given the complexities in setting something like this up, you'd have thought that there would exist something in the form of written documents that would at least form the basic framework of such a plan.

but documentary evidence would be FOTA's ace card(showing the FIA they were serious), so if these do exist why were they not slapped down on the negiotiating table earlier in the week?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 11:02AM by marwood82.
Date: June 19, 2009 11:08AM
Posted by: flat tyre
"YES!!!" was what came out of my blower as soon as I saw that headline. I've become so fed up with F1 this year, I've kept my hopes high and I've enjoyed some of it, but F1 lost the spark for me in the last few years. TBH, any change whatsoever will be welcome in my book, if this goes ahead I can't wait!

This has got to be the best news I've read for years! Fingers crossed for it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 19, 2009 11:31AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
flat tyre Wrote:
> "YES!!!" was what came out of my blower as soon as
> I saw that headline. I've become so fed up with F1
> this year, I've kept my hopes high and I've
> enjoyed some of it, but F1 lost the spark for me
> in the last few years. TBH, any change whatsoever
> will be welcome in my book, if this goes ahead I
> can't wait!
>
> This has got to be the best news I've read for
> years! Fingers crossed for it...

I'm with you. Excellent news. Much better than all this propaganda and Bernie-petting.

He's old and Max is just arrogant. They definitely thought FOTA were bluffing - which they clearly weren't.

I hope they can break away with success. F1 is dying a slow but accelerating death.
Date: June 19, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Locke Cole Wrote:
> That press release is basically an elaborate way
> of saying, "We've talked for 4 hours, nobody quite
> knows what's going on, so here are some mixed
> messages and rumours for the press to jump on."

+ 1

It'll all work out grand in the end. A move to create a different series would completely dilute both formulas, to the extent that they'll both wither and die. Not to mention the fact that the other people who make F1 run smoothly and have experience in the field will have contracts with F1/won't want to jump into stormy seas by joining the FOTA series. Teams know that. It's a big bluff.

It'll all work out grand in the end.
Date: June 19, 2009 12:28PM
Posted by: maes
im not sure, but the new f1 game from codemasters is the 2010 season right? so this means all the FOTA teams won't be in the game? OMG

Date: June 19, 2009 12:40PM
Posted by: The Lopper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 02:42PM by The Lopper.
Date: June 19, 2009 01:09PM
N. Technology pull out their F1 2010 entry, to enter the FOTA championship:

[www.f1technical.net]

I reckon that's why Lola pulled out, too. They wouldn't be so interested in entering into F1, then suddenly pull out when there's finally an opportunity arising to join due to the breakaway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: June 19, 2009 01:37PM
Posted by: davidm
I may be wrong about this but is'nt a break away what happened with Moto GP.
Date: June 19, 2009 01:58PM
Posted by: anze89
davidm Wrote:
> I may be wrong about this but is'nt a break away
> what happened with Moto GP.

no break away happened in MotoGP as far as I know :)

Date: June 19, 2009 02:10PM
from the bbc's website,

"Ross Brawn has pulled out of a planned 5 Live interview scheduled for 1230 BST because he has been called into a series of meetings. FIA boss Max Mosley has also turned down an interview. Everyone who's anyone in F1 is in a meeting, basically. Hope they're fully stocked up on tea and biscuits."

pretty much as has been said on here, this aint over yet.
Date: June 19, 2009 02:26PM
So, who else saw the Bernie Ecclestone live interview during practice on the BBC earlier? He was asked

"which side are you taking?"
"Wh... What sides?"
"Which side are you taking?"
"I... I don't know anything about sides..."
"The FOTA 8 and the FIA? Which side are you taking?"
*no response*

;) he sounded quite nervous and broken actually! Poor bloke, he might have lost it all! Wife, fortune, now F1.

Date: June 19, 2009 02:50PM
Posted by: gin
I dont care about politics, i will watch what ever is on, and thanks to sky you can watch all sort of motor sports.

Date: June 19, 2009 03:37PM
Posted by: Team CLR
flat tyre Wrote:
> So, who else saw the Bernie Ecclestone live
> interview during practice on the BBC earlier? He
> was asked
>
> "which side are you taking?"
> "Wh... What sides?"
> "Which side are you taking?"
> "I... I don't know anything about sides..."
> "The FOTA 8 and the FIA? Which side are you
> taking?"
> *no response*
>
> ;) he sounded quite nervous and broken actually!
> Poor bloke, he might have lost it all! Wife,
> fortune, now F1.

Yeah, I like it when he said "I don't know anything about science" at the end of that conversation, he's not giving anything away. But the "Did something happen to Max?" was funny.

Date: June 19, 2009 04:43PM
Posted by: MrMan
1540 BREAKING NEWS: The FIA is to issue legal proceedings without delay against the Formula One Teams Association following their threat to begin a breakaway series.

Off of the BBC's Free Practice text commentary. What are the grounds for the proceedings? Breach of contract?

Date: June 19, 2009 04:45PM
"The FIA’s lawyers have now examined the FOTA threat to begin a breakaway series. The actions of FOTA as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law. The FIA will be issuing legal proceedings without delay.

Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."

[www.fia.com]

2 ways of looking at this.

1 - its the point of no return.

2- the "publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold" part allows for some extra time to sort this out without the FIA having to be seen to be backing down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 04:48PM by marwood82.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy