Re: Ferrari 'to quit'
Date: May 12, 2009 07:48PM
Posted by: Nickv
I may not be an F1 fan

Then WTF are you doing on here? ;)
Date: May 12, 2009 07:55PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Ferrari are right to use this threat, I may not be an F1 fan but am only too aware that F1 CANNOT survive in its current form as the world's leading motorsport without major contructors.

Yeah. It can't survive. Which is why the FIA are trying to bring costs down to a level where they don't need to rely on major constructors. Do you know what constructors do? They pull out. Hell look at Honda. They didn't give a crap about the sport, and nor do any of the rest. Toyota and Renault have been dabbling with pulling out for years - this situation is just an excuse for them to go. Every motorsport in the world goes through this, and if they don't fix it then it dies off. F1 is right to try and fix the issues before they esculate. And if you'd like an example of big manufacturers destroying series because the governing body was not ready for them then look at DTM, BTCC, FIA GT, Le Mans and WRC. All in the last 15 years.

The FIA is the governing body of F1. They're job is to govern the sport. The manufacturers can always run off and form that World Grand Prix Series they kept threatening about before. Until they get bored of that because they aren't all winning and leave that and let it die too.

Ferrari is not bigger than the sport. No team is.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 12, 2009 07:58PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You work in a school. Ironicly, the place where
> the least amount of work is done by adults, and
> where the holidays are awesome. You have an even
> bigger advantage since you can't bitch and cry
> like the teachers. "Oh I've got my marking! I've
> got marking to do!". I'm sure marking takes up
> those 10 weeks of holidays or whatever the hell
> they are on now. :p You have it extremely lucky :p
> (edit: providing the school stays open that is, I
> haven't kept tabs on that situation)

But they're only paid for term times, so while they get more holidays than most, they get less pay than most full time jobs too. We also can't actually go anywhere while in those holidays as everywhere jack the prices up by miles - not so bad for the kids - just take them out of school for a week.

I can't vouch for most schools in this LA, never mind other LAs, but during the holidays they're normally snowed under with work anyway. Unpaid work. As well as working longer hours during term time then they're paid to do (paid for 9-4, average at our school would be 8:15-5). Over course there's no overtime in this job either.

I can't say that's the case across the country though. I just don't know. It probably depends on council structure and local population.

While I'm working my bollocks off at work most of the time (I haven't had a lunch break this half term), my holidays generally are a case of being bored shitless and wasting them, so I'm not going to complain about them. :D
Date: May 12, 2009 08:23PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
this could be costly for ferrari. what about all the sponsors who have paid for 2010 season money? ferrari will have to pay it back.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: May 12, 2009 08:29PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Santander were going to join them aswell lol

Date: May 12, 2009 08:29PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> No team is bigger than the sport. Let them have
> there hissy fit. They'll come back after they
> realise they can't run off and build an Indy Car
> like last time.

i think this is similar to the British GP debate then. It seems most people agree that the British GP should always have a part on the calendar because of the heritage, history and the significance the country has to the sport both today and in the past.

Ferrari has a similar historical significance and importance to the sport. Think of any non-f1 fans, and a significant portion of them would connect Ferrari and F1 instantly. Ferrari F1 has a massive worldwide appeal undoubtably. If you remember back a few years ago with the breakaway threat, many people at the time commented that whichever series Ferrari was in would be the most credible. It was also commented that this is one of the reasons that the breakaway failed (that Ferrari signed the Concorde agreement). Its probably not bigger than the sport, because i don't think any f1 fan would actually stop watching if they left, but it would have a big impact in my opinion.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 12, 2009 08:54PM
Posted by: Muks_C
at my old work it was a 37.5 hour week, reduced to 37 hours at the start of February this year. but having now moved jobs, i'm up to a 40 hour week with unpaid overtime currently, of which i do at least half an hour a day as i only need half an hour for lunch so just continue work once i've eaten.

anyway, Ferrari: meh.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 12, 2009 09:16PM
Posted by: gav
I'm surprised Red Bull have opposed the plans. They're hardly the richest team on the grid, and I thought with Newey there, they'd jump at the chance of spending even less and with more technical freedom.

To be brutally honest, I still love the idea of the budget cap where it is. The sport itself couldn't suffer for it, and the only downside to it is this 2-tier system. Frankly, I just think all the teams should jump on the idea and deal with it. It's ludicrous what they're spending now.

My only concerns with the budget cap is the loss of jobs (hopefully the majority of them would be picked up by the potential 3 new teams) and that the marketing is exempt from them, meaning they can keep their paddock hotels, which are even more ludicrous than the average 2009 budget.

As much as I love the pre-1996 Ferrari (which is starting to reform judging by some of their antics :D) I hope Mosely takes a firm stance, and if they don't agree with the cap, then they can either sod off for a few years until they do or they come to an agreement not too far away from the current one. It's already got too many holes in it though.

Unfortunately I feel the end result will be no initial cap, but teams will be forced to offer chassis to potential customers. Customer cars will be back.
Date: May 12, 2009 09:35PM
Posted by: marcl
Ferrari have said all this before though and not quit.

So what will they do not work on next years car until its all sorted out?

I dont think they will quit and as Flavio said its almost like a 2 tier F1 at the moment due to KERS.
Date: May 12, 2009 09:46PM
Posted by: Muks_C
KERS ain't exactly making the teams using it successful though, is it? Brawn and Red Bull have been the outstanding teams so far this year, and neither has KERS (yet), and only one of them has the double-diffuser ('til Red Bull get theirs).

so not really a two-tier F1 at the moment.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 12, 2009 10:25PM
Posted by: gin
this might be stupid, but why dont they and everybody else take on the budget cap and enjoy more technical freedom? whats wrong with that?

Date: May 12, 2009 10:34PM
Posted by: skinnyman
gin Wrote:
> this might be stupid, but why dont they and
> everybody else take on the budget cap and enjoy
> more technical freedom? whats wrong with that?

Maybe because proposed amount isnt enough for food and travel let alone other stuff ;)
Date: May 13, 2009 12:03AM
Posted by: gin
skinnyman Wrote:
> gin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > this might be stupid, but why dont they and
> > everybody else take on the budget cap and enjoy
> > more technical freedom? whats wrong with that?
>
> Maybe because proposed amount isnt enough for food
> and travel let alone other stuff ;)

yes but from what i remember most things are NOT covered by budget cap. this is all silly. political maneuvering more than anything imho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 12:03AM by gin.
Date: May 13, 2009 01:29AM
Posted by: Slash
DaveEllis Wrote:

> Ferrari is not bigger than the sport. No team is.

just look at all the grandstands on every Gp, they're all red!
i do think F1 would loose a lot!
and it might be just rumors but let's say Ferrari do leave, Toyota, Red Bull, Renault, and probably BMW, and that Penske, Andretti and the teams from Gp2 entrer F1..... would you think of it as the same F1?

whatever happens next Mosley is going to look like a doll, first the winner takes all got removed, and probably the regulations will be modified as well.

it's time to go Max
Date: May 13, 2009 04:17AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Wonder if with the low budget cap proposed, some of the big teams would go into sabatical year from the competition, but as a strategy as it allows possible to develop the car freely considering they won't be subdued to the rules therefore favouring mainly unlimited number of tests by their own responsability(depending there on what the investiment of each one will allow), again coming into play the bigger ones (for example Ferrari with the advantage of their Fiorano and Mugello tracks), therefore returning the year next (in this case sacrificing 2010 for 2011 as example) but already with a relative chance of technical advantage compared to the others (that stayed in the series, necessarily still obeying the test rules and wind tunnels/development restrictions), and with an advanced stages of development leaving room to fit into the option that allows engine rev/aero freedom what would allow some greater advantages.

Personally, I do think many of these teams will not dismiss their ppl but remanage them for other branchs of the companies, however, still keeping them working at the current factory what in thesis would avoid to count as part of the budget, for example regarding Ferrari that is the matter of topic, imagining they would transfer their engineers and project develop department to receive and be officially FIAT linked, but still work at Maranello, in that case officially it wouldn't be possible to count them as part of the Scuderia budget as they would belong then to another area, same applying for Mercedes and Renault groups in their respective, a way in a second view to make it fit into the one with better options too, if consider first paragraph.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 04:43AM by Rodrigo007.
Date: May 13, 2009 05:22AM
Posted by: SAMF1
no ferrari in F1 is like no sun in the solar system.

Date: May 13, 2009 08:54AM
Posted by: Nickv
Only if you're a Ferrari fan or an Italian really. The British would say the same if Williams left.
Date: May 13, 2009 09:48AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
I support Vettel and RB at the moment, but I always keep up with what Ferrari are doing. It's just because of the heritage.

F1 would be far worse off without them. They would lose a lot of money as well, as F1 sponsors know that at least 30% of F1 fans are Ferrari supporters. So they will suffer themselves.

It will be a form of suicide by the FIA to let Ferrari go.
Date: May 13, 2009 01:42PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
OMG, The announcment of quit threat by ferrari and also renault will be on wednesday, so if its happen, alonso and ferrari gonna rest for a year, then unite in 2011. lol!:)

Date: May 13, 2009 02:12PM
Posted by: MrMan
I thought the teams' main gripe with the proposed budget cap was the "two tier" idea and not the cap itself?

Can't say I'm too bothered with Ferrari's quit threat, don't think it'd happen anyway. There'll be some form of compromise no doubt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy