Ferrari 'to quit'

Posted by matt3454 
Re: Ferrari 'to quit'
Date: May 20, 2009 07:19PM
Posted by: tripleM
The irony of McLaren beating up on the bunch of privateers isn't lost on me considering all the talk around the time of the last breakaway attempt

'Yes but alot of that money is what Honda would have had to pay to shut the team down.'

That's the whole point. Acting on a 'sudden' decision to withdraw is expensive to the extent that basically a team can be financed for a year even at the current level of spending.

'they tend to leave only when they run out of cash.
manufacturers tend to leave pretty much as and when feel like it.'

It may seem so on the surface, but the same realities apply to both.

btw, ferrari may have a point, but that's just about the most crudely written thing ever to appear on an official website

Date: May 20, 2009 07:36PM
Posted by: Slash
Mclaren are grabbed by the balls, they can't do anything about it, they can't speak they can't say a word, because of all the @#$%& they've donde in the last couple of years

i don't know wheter Ferrari will retire or not, but one thing is for sure, F1 is the most important motor sport series and the most exclusive with the best drivers and cars......

will it be the same if this thing goes on, how many new drivers and cars will enter?
i know some of you might say that there are some drivers who don't deserve to be in F1, but still, the number will raise even more if this goes on
i'm not against having new teams or drivers in the grid, but what teams?, and what drivers?

it shouldn't be that easy to be in F1
and people claiming that F1 will loose the private teams and all.... it all a load of @#$%&, Williams has survived all the economical crisis and they're still racing and commited, not like some Jordan, Midland, Spyker, Honda and all these teams that see F1 as a busisness opportunity, which with all these rules, will raise even more
Date: May 22, 2009 03:47PM
Posted by: marwood82
on a side to this,

I notice the FIA mentioned that Ferrari have a veto on modifcations to the technical regs and the other teams don't :?

apparently it was part of the deal that got them to jump ship from the aborted GPWC

[www.independent.co.uk]

??????

how on earth can that be in the interests of the sport?
Date: May 22, 2009 04:19PM
Posted by: marcl
Yes Frank Williams does not seem very impressed at all.

So all the moaning they have done about KERS, Ferrari could have stopped it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 04:31PM by marcl.
Date: May 22, 2009 04:34PM
Posted by: Nickv
and all these teams that see F1 as a busisness opportunity

There is no other reason than that to be in F1. Ferrari and McLaren aren't there for fun. They are there to make money.
Date: May 22, 2009 06:39PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Williams and Force India?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 22, 2009 06:49PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
[en.f1-live.com]

So what do you guys make of this?
Date: May 22, 2009 06:55PM
Yes, they too. I recall Mallya even saying that F1 is a fantastic business opportunity or something similar. Force India is a driving bill board for his companies. He owns Kingfisher and is chairman of the United Brewery Group, which owns Whyte and Mackay. The cars are full with those names.

Williams wouldn't be there if they were in the red numbers every year. If you're in F1 you are there to make money. If you can't make money in F1, then why would you be there? You go into F1 to make a carreer there. As a team, it's your enterprise. You use it to get a living from. Frank Williams was a motorsport enthousiastic. Then what's nicer than being able to get a job in motorsport? He decided to set up his own team. He made his job out of his passion. But passion or not, a job is a job and a job is there to make money in the first place. And if you can do that while doing a thing you love, you've done a good job.
The reason that Frank is still around is his passion. He's made the money now, so he's doing it for fun. But the reason for getting into F1 is making money.
Date: May 22, 2009 07:16PM
Posted by: matt3454
Apparantly two teams have already entered the 2010 championship, USGP and Campos.... who on earth are Campos?

Date: May 22, 2009 07:17PM
They used to be a GP2 team. The owner Adrian Campos sold it and now it's called Barwa Addax.
Date: May 22, 2009 07:30PM
Posted by: matt3454
Has this been discussed before? I know USGP were all but confirmed before, but didn't realise that Campos was joining the party.

Date: May 22, 2009 07:33PM
It's been announced today.
Date: May 22, 2009 07:38PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
Hope no-one bought tickets for next year.

ALL 10 teams will not enter if budget cap stays.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: May 22, 2009 07:49PM
Williams wouldn't be there if they were in the red numbers every year. If you're in F1 you are there to make money. If you can't make money in F1, then why would you be there?/]

Just because you are not in the red, doesn't mean you are there to "make money". I am yet to see any evidence of Williams trying to make money out of F1. Everything goes back into development of the team.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 22, 2009 07:56PM
I also wrote a bit that's a bit more nuanced than that:

You go into F1 to make a carreer there. As a team, it's your enterprise. You use it to get a living from. Frank Williams was a motorsport enthousiastic. Then what's nicer than being able to get a job in motorsport? He decided to set up his own team. He made his job out of his passion. But passion or not, a job is a job and a job is there to make money in the first place. And if you can do that while doing a thing you love, you've done a good job.
The reason that Frank is still around is his passion. He's made the money now, so he's doing it for fun. But the reason for getting into F1 is making money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 07:57PM by Nickv.
Date: May 22, 2009 08:00PM
Posted by: Frantic
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope no-one bought tickets for next year.
>
> ALL 10 teams will not enter if budget cap stays.
>
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
> _one/default.stm

so... or FIA go backwards or F1 is gone... the thing is... Mosley cant stand that instead of reducing in some cases 90 % of budget the FOTA wants to reduce costs progressively for 3 years, something much more logic? It would be a disaster to the teams to reduce costs so fast, because they have to pay to all fired people... Or thats not entering in the 40m cap?

Date: May 22, 2009 08:24PM
Posted by: IWE
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> Hope no-one bought tickets for next year.
>
> ALL 10 teams will not enter if budget cap stays.
>
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
> _one/default.stm

I am totally fine with 10 new teams, so no problem. Im already looking forward not to have Ferrari and McLaren in F1. :)

Unfortunately most of teams wont have enought balls to quit even with new rules and Im afraid Ferrari atleast is 1 of those. :(

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: May 23, 2009 12:47AM
Posted by: tripleM
1) sir Frank definitely has a private jet which is understandable

2) according to BusinessF1 sir Frank earned $1.1m and Patrick Head $2.6m in 2006 which again they are perfectly entitled to

so not everything goes back into the team

Date: May 23, 2009 04:57AM
Posted by: Slash
not literally

and i'm sure they have families, houses and some other spendings besides the team, no?
i'm sure they all make money, or else they woudln't have the money to be there anyway, but i also read that some of these teams also count with the money they "could" recieve at the end of the year.

i also read back in 2003, when Alex Zanardi had his accident, that Sir Frank Williams still owed him some 6 millions from when he used to race for Williams back in 1999

and i'm pretty sure if instead of Williams F1, it was Jaguar F1, or Jordan F1, Honda F1 or any other team looking to be there just for the money, it would've been sold long time ago, even thou they weren't loosing 1 cent
Date: May 23, 2009 08:41AM
tripleM Wrote:
> 1) sir Frank definitely has a private jet which is
> understandable
>
> 2) according to BusinessF1 sir Frank earned $1.1m
> and Patrick Head $2.6m in 2006 which again they
> are perfectly entitled to
>
> so not everything goes back into the team

So you took my post about not making a profit and turned it into not having a wage. Good stuff! Thanks for playing!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy