Ferrari 'to quit'

Posted by matt3454 
Re: Ferrari 'to quit'
Date: May 15, 2009 06:38PM
Posted by: Nickv
Wow that article is baked in anti-FIA-ness. Not only the FIA, but also the teams didn't change their point of view. No compromise of any kind has been made by either side.

It'll be interesting to see what'll come out of that court case. What if the teams win? Then the FIA will go to a higher court level. Same goes when the FIA wins. Then we might still have court cases in the middle of 2010 about 2010 regulations...
Date: May 15, 2009 07:37PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Well, F1 is becoming more and more complicated by the minute and also becoming a bit of a joke.
Date: May 15, 2009 07:37PM
Posted by: EC83
What a mess.
Really hope the FIA back down a bit and at least offer another, less extreme compromise. If they do, Ferrari will back down too. That's how the similar previous dispute in 1987 was solved anyway. Flexibility is what's needed here. Somebody needs to have a sensible pill.

Slash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's time to go Max

It has been for years. I think he knows this, and it's the very reason why he insists on staying. That and his increasing megalomania, of course.

Date: May 15, 2009 07:58PM
Posted by: chet
tbh now I only see the problem being the amount of the cap

Some teams are paying £200mil + on their F1 effots, and so to go to £40mil in less than year a HUUUUGE decrease in such a short amount of time.

It should be a gradual decrease with £60mil being the bare min imo.

Now its just a case of them agreeing something of the sort, but we all know when it comes to agreeing, the teams and FIA are like kids.

edit - and on not signing the concorde agreement, isnt that because one man Bernie gets half, then the rest is spread between 4manufactures and 1 team majorly backed by a manufacturer then the 5 others.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 08:00PM by chet.
Date: May 15, 2009 09:00PM
Posted by: EC83
chet Wrote:
> tbh now I only see the problem being the amount of
> the cap

Agreed, I think that's the major sticking point. Increase the cap, and the teams will feel they have more breathing space at least. They'll also have less of a leg to stand on if they complain.

Date: May 15, 2009 09:23PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
sorry if this has already been posted, great interview with max on the whole subject. [news.bbc.co.uk]

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: May 18, 2009 09:02PM
Posted by: Frantic
Double post sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 09:04PM by Frantic.
Date: May 18, 2009 09:04PM
Posted by: Frantic
FOTA want to reduce budget, but in a progressive mode, and thats OK.
FIA want to reduce budget, but in a inmediate mode, and thats not OK.

I think FOTA knows a lot more than FIA about how to manage a team. I mean, FIA hasnt managed a team with success (remember Simtek for example). OK, Bernie managed Brabham, but he operated with a low cost, and obligated designers like Gordon Murray to be creative... Mosley operated in March, but today arent the same as in 70s-80s... so the problem is another, Max wants to be in FIA another decade and it is going to kill sport. Why dont ask public what to do? Like in the Medal case? :(

Date: May 18, 2009 09:36PM
Posted by: Guimengo
FOTA's issue is with the 2 rulebooks, if that is fixed then off they go
Date: May 18, 2009 11:35PM
Posted by: Slash
it was already fixed on the last meeting, wasn't it?

i don't know what the problem with mosley is, i mean why isn't he cooperating to find an agreement?, i know it's hard to please everybody, but in this case everybody is against him.
i just wish someone finds some pictures of him naked and being spanked so that he can go for once and for all :p
Date: May 18, 2009 11:46PM
Posted by: MrMan
Slash Wrote:
> i just wish someone finds some pictures of him
> naked and being spanked so that he can go for once
> and for all :p

Hold on, I'll just phone up the News of The World...

The main gripe the teams has is with the two different rule books. While you can understand why the FIA have done this (New teams would have on incentive to join if they were handicapped), why not make it a gradual thing?

Date: May 18, 2009 11:52PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Guimengo Wrote:
> FOTA's issue is with the 2 rulebooks, if that is
> fixed then off they go

Survey says: No!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 19, 2009 03:49AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Can I use a lifeline? :(
Date: May 20, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: marwood82
BBC reports Ferrari's injunction is thrown out
Date: May 20, 2009 02:08PM
Posted by: vesuvius
so it can be byebye F1 now :(
Date: May 20, 2009 02:27PM
vesuvius Wrote:
> so it can be byebye F1 now :(

why?

i'm with dave on this one, if the manufacturers are threatening to go, let them. Don't let them hold the sport to ransom.

If costs don't come down significantly, then when the car makes do eventually go (and they will), we'll be left with a most 14 cars(if none of the other independents have been spent into oblivion) and costs so high, no-one will be able to replace them.

lets have some actual 'racing teams' - ie ones who won't do a runner the second their shareholders in tokyo get a bit twitchy because they aren't winning all the time.

oh for the days when all the car makers did was supply the engines.

At least back then when they left, we didn't instantly loose 2 cars, and as a team you slapped in a solid if bit average cossie or judd for 12 months until you sorted something else out.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: Nickv
One part of me (a very very tiny one though) is actually happy Ferrari lost. If the cap is implemented well (meaning not from the current situation to 40m or whatever it was, but gradually), costs are brought down, which is not a bad thought of the FIA at all. Also, if it works out well, it will shut the @#$%& up everybody who proclaims F1 dead every fifteen seconds. That's what really makes me puke.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:33PM
Posted by: vesuvius
marwood82 Wrote:
> vesuvius Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > so it can be byebye F1 now :(
>
>
> why?
>
> i'm with dave on this one, if the manufacturers
> are threatening to go, let them. Don't let them
> hold the sport to ransom.
>
> If costs don't come down significantly, then when
> the car makes do eventually go (and they will),
> we'll be left with a most 14 cars(if none of the
> other independents have been spent into oblivion)
> and costs so high, no-one will be able to replace
> them.
>
> lets have some actual 'racing teams' - ie ones who
> won't do a runner the second their shareholders in
> tokyo get a bit twitchy because they aren't
> winning all the time.
>
> oh for the days when all the car makers did was
> supply the engines.
>
> At least back then when they left, we didn't
> instantly loose 2 cars, and as a team you slapped
> in a solid if bit average cossie or judd for 12
> months until you sorted something else out.

don't you think that when Ferrari and other manufactures go that also sponsors and tv-channels will pull out? and when that happens it's no money for F1 and it will be end of the story and hell I'm not interested about F1 without manufactures and old classic teams like Ferrari.

also FOTA has made their own succestion about budget gap that's much better

2010 80 millions
2011 65 millions
2012 50 millions

if current 44,4 million euros will come true that means that lots of people will lose their job! even famous Adrian Newey because his salary would be 0ver 20% of the budget.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 02:38PM by vesuvius.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:40PM
Nickv Wrote:
> One part of me (a very very tiny one though) is
> actually happy Ferrari lost. If the cap is
> implemented well (meaning not from the current
> situation to 40m or whatever it was, but
> gradually), costs are brought down, which is not a
> bad thought of the FIA at all. Also, if it works
> out well, it will shut the @#$%& up everybody who
> proclaims F1 dead every fifteen seconds. That's
> what really makes me puke.

i think the eventual solution will be something a bit like that.

Max has a number in his head as to what he wants the cap for next year to be, and i very much doubt its 40 million. At the end of the day, he's in the driving seat at the moment, legal challenge to the rules thrown out and a piece of paper with a list of teams ready to take the place of any who quit.

What really cracks me up though is that this has all lead to mass hurried meetings between FOTA and the FIA trying to sort cost cutting out.

Which was exactly what Max wanted in the first place. :-)

You can accuse max and bernie of a lot of things but being stupid aint one of them.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:44PM
Posted by: marcl
F1 will still be F1. You watch the teams might leave, and some use this as reason to leave. But the drivers will be more than happy to race for other teams.

Ferrari are behaving like school kids now slagging off the new teams. If someone started watching F1 tomorrow would they care if Ferrari were there or not? For once they have not got their way and they dont like it. They should now get done for bringing the sport into disripute, all we are going to hear this weekend if Ferrari and the rules.

Tbh I dont care, if they go thats their choice. I wont miss Toyota or BMW, yes I will miss Ferrari but thats because they are the team I like to see fail if you know what I mean.

There are only 3 teams on the grid left from when I started watching F1 in 1988 so I am used to teams and drivers going.

People said F1 would end when Senna died, when MS left, when Lotus left etc. They were all wrong.

I dont agree with the way the FIA have gone about this, but I dont see why teams can not operate to this budget. F1 is about a challenge and this is just a new challenge. Ferrari have spent how much this year? and they are not winning. Two teams that have spent less have won so you can see where Max is coming from.

Ferrari wont leave though as they need F1, and as people have already said Max and Bernie have got what they want. Teams sitting down talking about things.

Rant over.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 02:48PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy