> year.

BMW have to be mental to let Robert go
Re: Alonso to BMW? "Deal Done"
Date: September 21, 2008 12:42AM
Posted by: gav
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BMW have to be mental to let Robert go

Perhaps it's not just up to BMW. Kubica has to sign the piece of paper too....

If he does leave though, you've got to assume that he's got a longer term plan that where he ends up... because Ferrari is locked out and McLaren seem fairly secure (though I'm sure Heikki will be getting a major hurry up soon - he's been anonymous in the last few races).
Date: September 21, 2008 08:11AM
Posted by: casabonka
Surely that'd only leave Robert Honda or Renault, which would be crazy to do. He really is stuck at BMW until 2011 (not that its a bad thing to be stuck there)

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 21, 2008 10:45AM
Posted by: J i m
I he probably knows that. But he could well be holding on to make sure there are certain performance clauses in his contract that work in his favour.

For example Honda could be an attractive option in the future, but they need to find a lot of form first. Renault could return to race winning ways, but again they're not there yet.

In the short term it's a no brainer to stay at BMW, but just a year or 2 down the line could be a very different story, and it could be completely different teams giving Ferrari a headache at the top of the championship. Kubica will not want to be tied down to a contract if the team isn't going to be competitive enough for him to challenge for wins and championships.
Date: September 21, 2008 01:12PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Alonso turned down BMW according to AS and will stay with Renault.
[www.planet-f1.com]

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2008 01:13PM by BAR#10.
Date: September 22, 2008 10:38AM
Posted by: Ali
J i m Wrote:
> For example Honda could be an attractive option in
> the future, but they need to find a lot of form
> first. Renault could return to race winning ways,
> but again they're not there yet.

Renault needs a lot of money. Money is one of the mandatory requirements to win (but surely not the only one).
Date: September 22, 2008 06:49PM
They have actually very recently increased their budget for 2009, quite significantly.

And besides, they have already proved that you don't need the biggest budget to win the championship.
Date: September 23, 2008 09:30AM
Posted by: Ali
J i m Wrote:
> And besides, they have already proved that you
> don't need the biggest budget to win the
> championship.

Sure, but not one of the lowest. Their budget in 2005 and 2006 was not that small in comparison with their main rivals as it is this year.
Date: September 23, 2008 10:22AM
Posted by: marcl
With the way the banks are going at the moment I wonder how long it will be until they pull out.
Date: September 23, 2008 10:41AM
Posted by: Nickv
The banks that are being hit aren't in F1 AFAIK. It's mainly the American (and a few British) business bank sector.
Date: September 23, 2008 10:54AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Nickv schreef:
> The banks that are being hit aren't in F1 AFAIK.
> It's mainly the American (and a few British)
> business bank sector.

Lehman Brothers owned 12% of f1 iirc. So the banks ARE in F1.

Date: September 23, 2008 11:51AM
Posted by: Advong
Credit suisse are pulling out as a sponsor of BMW at the end of the year I believe, they've been hit to some extent. RBS are in varying degrees of trouble, but I've not heard of them cancelling sponsorship

But Santander and ING don't seem to be affected thus far
Date: September 23, 2008 12:28PM
Posted by: Sapo
Bigger problem for Renault is their carselling isn't quite worse this year, and they need a big reorganization, with thousands of employees will be fired. Gosh of whatever their CEO is called did declare the f1 team will not be influenced in any means by this (because of the great marketingvalue), but I guess a lot of people won't take it if there would be spend a lot more money on F1, while there isn't money to keep their jobs or collegues'.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: September 23, 2008 12:55PM
Posted by: red 5
well I guess in a short time (2-3 yrs) most of the manufacturers will pull out

Renault definately. They did it couple of times before
end of '85 they withdraw as a team, and at the end of '97 they withdraw as a engine supplier
then they come back, and in 2005 were announcing they will be pulling out by 2007 -hence Alonso's signing with McLaren

BMW also left at the end of '86 and returned in '00

Honda likevise left '68 came back '83, left '93, came back '00

They all came and go, because they depend on the market. And 400m is huge amount of money.

At the first glance if Renault, BMW, Honda and Toyota leave it could mean the end of F1,
but I think it would only rejuviate F1 because garageists (teams like williams) could come back
so instead having 6 manufacturers 2 red bulls and 2 garageists, we could end up with 10 or more
garageists against 2 manufacturers, pretty much like mid '70
and again 150m will be enough (Williams example). And 150m can easily be nicked by sponsor money and
maybe one pay driver (Diniz style

Date: September 23, 2008 01:07PM
Posted by: casabonka
Im quiet glad we are over the pay driver era of F1 - hence why pole to 20th is seperated by 1.5 secs usually.

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 23, 2008 01:40PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, i dont want a return to pay drivers, especially as we are more likely to lose teams than gain teams at the moment. We don't want half of the field as pay drivers. its great having such depth in the F1 field today

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 23, 2008 02:05PM
Posted by: vesuvius
There is now a rumour going on at the finnish and Italian media that Alonso will replace Kimi in Ferrari 2010 after all because Santander bank (from Spain) will be come the sponsor of Ferrari and they will buy Kimi out .I personally don't believe on this at all!

Luca Di Montezemolo:

Quote:
On the drivers' situation: ''Alonso and Vettel ? Nice names, but with all due respect I'm happy with the drivers that we have, otherwise we wouldn't have offered them contracts till the end of 2010. Kimi is the worldchampion and Massa has also been fast driving alongside Schumacher. This is the drivers' pairing we have and I stick to it. We will make a choice at the right moment when we have to. We believe in dynamical stability, which, for eleven years, has been the main element that allowes Ferrari to fight for the title, or become second. The others are either up there or they dissapear.''

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 02:12PM by vesuvius.
Date: September 23, 2008 04:43PM
Posted by: mikef1
casabonka Wrote:
> Im quiet glad we are over the pay driver era of F1
> - hence why pole to 20th is seperated by 1.5 secs
> usually.

That's more down to the regulations making the cars more similar in performance than pay drivers.
Date: September 23, 2008 04:45PM
Posted by: mikef1
vesuvius Wrote:
> There is now a rumour going on at the finnish and
> Italian media that Alonso will replace Kimi in
> Ferrari 2010 after all because Santander bank
> (from Spain) will be come the sponsor of Ferrari
> and they will buy Kimi out .I personally don't
> believe on this at all!

Why doesn't that surprise me! I do hope Kimi finds his form again next year with the reg changes but if he has another season like this year then i doubt Kimi will be driving for Ferrari in 2010.
Date: September 25, 2008 01:07PM
The latest rumour is that BMW could swap Heidfeld for Rosberg.

Personally I do not buy this, although Williams rate Heidfeld highly, despite his patchy form he's performed considerably better than Rosberg this year.

Forget about the relative performance of the cars, because what I mean is that Heidfeld has still taken advantage of the opportunities for good results this year.

Where as Rosberg has usually spoilt his by chucking his front wing against something.

Taking that into consideration I would have though it would make better sense to retain Heidfeld.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy