Alonso to BMW? "Deal Done"

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: Alonso to BMW? "Deal Done"
Date: September 25, 2008 01:12PM
Posted by: red 5
Rosberg is vastly overrated driver. I have never seen strong showing form him except his firs ever race (bahrain '06) where he posted FL. Other than that maybe two races last year, but he is nowhere near his generation: Kubica, Vettel, Hamilton.

Date: September 25, 2008 02:15PM
Posted by: vesuvius
red 5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rosberg is vastly overrated driver. I have never
> seen strong showing form him except his firs ever
> race (bahrain '06) where he posted FL. Other than
> that maybe two races last year, but he is nowhere
> near his generation: Kubica, Vettel, Hamilton.

he is better than his results show, you can't do a s**t with a bad car...give Rosberg a McLaren or BMW and he would be there with others on the top.Alexander Wurz said that Nico is the fastest man over one lap that he has ever seen and that's a lot to be said from a man that has worked with Hakkinen,Raikkonen,Coulthard,Fisichella etc...:)
Date: September 25, 2008 02:53PM
Absolutely true. Give Vettel McLaren or BMW and he will win too. Oh wait...

Rosberg had 3 years to prove himself and he didnt do anything. (do not count 3rd place in melbourne as there were too many retirements). Just compare him to Nakajima, who is himself 2nd rate driver, they are more less the same.

ATM except for FI and Honda there are no bad cars in F1. Williams is 1 second a lap slower than Mclaren.

In '92 Benetton was 1.5sec slower than Williams and yet driver that drove it managed to win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 02:56PM by red 5.
Date: September 25, 2008 02:55PM
Posted by: marcl
Nico is every bit as good as Kovy, Lewis and Kubica he just needs the car to show it.

Look at Mika for example. I knew he was a very good driver as I followed F3 when he was driving.

Until he got a good car he could never fully show it.
Date: September 25, 2008 02:59PM
In '91 Mika's Lotus was 5 seconds off the pace.

Today 8 teams are bundeled inside one second, williams included

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 03:01PM by red 5.
Date: September 25, 2008 03:05PM
Posted by: gav
red 5 Wrote:
> Today 8 teams are bundeled inside one second,
> williams included

And in today's cars, you can't out-perform the car by more than half a few tenths.

Debut year, crap. Last year, IMHO, Rosberg was one of the very best drivers. This year he's been dire.
Date: September 25, 2008 03:32PM
So? Overall is he overrated or not?

Date: September 25, 2008 04:10PM
He can be an excellent driver. If he gets a car capable of winning, or scoring high consistently, we'll know.

To some Schumacher is overrated. It didn't make him @#$%& though, did it?
Date: September 25, 2008 05:36PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i dont know if rosberg is overrated, he just hasn't lived up to the hype surrounding him yet.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 25, 2008 06:06PM
Posted by: marcl
To a degree I do think Nico is overated I dont think he had a great 1st year, and this year he has had far to many accidents for someone in their 3rd year.

I think he needs a good car then we can say overated or not. I just dont know when or if that will happen.
Date: September 25, 2008 06:47PM
Posted by: Slash
he'll get his chance... i'm sure.. i just hope he doesn't blows it, like Jenson did
Date: September 26, 2008 03:43AM
Posted by: Bruninho
Slash Wrote:
> he'll get his chance... i'm sure.. i just hope he
> doesn't blows it, like Jenson did

Oh? When Jenson had a car to fight for the title? Never the 2004 BAR Honda was never a race winning car against the superior unbeatable Ferraris.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 04:27AM by Bruninho.
Date: September 26, 2008 04:40AM
did i said he got a chance to fight for the tittle?

i just said about the chance to have a competitive car

Jenson blew his chances of singing for better teams when he was mislead by his manager and cancelled the contract with Honda to go back to williams, and then cancelled the Williams move to go back to Honda.

i think the top teams just changed the perspective they had from him immediatly

Ferrari mentioned once, before all of that that hey where considering signing him... i don't think any top team does anymore
Date: September 26, 2008 10:34AM
To be fair, he might have been a bit further up the grid than now, but he'd still be scraping the bottom end of the points, barring a few races early last year.

I'm still undecided about Button. I thought he showed great promise when he joined the grid, like most, but look at how his then teammate performed the following season - very fast on occasions, but hopeless in others. Some people point to Hockenheim to show Button's strengths that season, but before the rain came, he was only faster than Mazzacane in the Minardi.

Then at Benetton he was generally out-performed by Trulli, who himself, while impressively quick at times, was shown to be very ordinary in others before he left for Toyota.

Can you compare him to Villeneuve? Just how good was Villeneuve when he left Williams? Was he getting progressively worse there after, was Button improving or was it a combination of the 2?

Rubens is another. On occasion he was as quick as a seven times world champion. But he's hardly a world beater, and he's now started more races than anyone else. He's not bad by any means, but should Button be destroying him?

Remarkably, he'll soon be starting his 10th season, yet I'm still a bit lost as to just how good he is.
Date: September 27, 2008 07:45AM
damn, you are right.. well actually he will be starting his 9th season, but still.. it's been a long time... i do think he can fight up there, but his only hope is Honda, and with Ross Brawn thinking about Alonso, it could be his last few chances
Date: September 27, 2008 11:20AM
Slash Wrote:
> well actually he will be starting his 9th season, but still..

Nope, 2009 will definitely be his 10th. ;-)
Date: September 28, 2008 10:42AM
Posted by: Stan
Bruninho Wrote:
> Slash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > he'll get his chance... i'm sure.. i just hope
> he
> > doesn't blows it, like Jenson did
>
> Oh? When Jenson had a car to fight for the title?
> Never the 2004 BAR Honda was never a race winning
> car against the superior unbeatable Ferraris.

Neither were the Renault McLaren or Williams that year and yet...

Date: September 29, 2008 02:13AM
Posted by: J i m
SPOILER ALERTY, apologies.

I think Nico did pretty well today to be honest. 2nd in a Williams despite a ten second stop and go, worthy of a mention!

Piquet's rather predictable crash may well have been the lucky catalyst, but also if it were not for that silly not pitting under 1st couple of safety car laps rule, Alonso would have had to catch and pass him on the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 10:34AM by J i m.
Date: September 29, 2008 02:37AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
*facepalm*

SPOILER

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 29, 2008 10:33AM
Posted by: J i m
Oops. Sorry forgot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy