What are the 5 most espectacular crashes ever??

Posted by Frantic 
What are the 5 most espectacular crashes ever??
Date: February 22, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: Frantic
For me, the 5 are:

1. Gilles Villeneuve (Qualify session of Belgium GP 1982, Zolder)
2. Lorenzo Bandini (Race session of Monaco GP, 1967, Montecarlo)
3. Niki Lauda (Race session of German GP, 1976, Nordschleife)
4. Ronnie Peterson (Race session of Italian GP, 1978, Monza)
5. Robert Kubica (Race session of Canadian Gp, 2007, Montreal)

What do you think?

Re: What are the 5 most espectacular crashes ever??
Date: February 22, 2008 06:23PM
Posted by: bob1977
Think you are sick. People died in 3 of those crashes. No need. Crashes are all well and good when the person survives, but not when they die.
Date: February 22, 2008 06:31PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Dont be so stupid to call him sick, ofcourse he knows people died in some of them, but he just ask what are the most spectaculair crashes (spectaculair doesnt need to be fun...)

Date: February 22, 2008 06:54PM
Posted by: Hologide
think Belgium 1998 should be in the list, just due to the sheer quantity of cars involved.
Date: February 22, 2008 07:01PM
Posted by: gav
Discussing crashes is fine. Making a top 5 list of the most spectacular? Hmm...

Anyway, somewhat contradictorily, 2 of those weren't in the least spectacular. Dramatic and shocking yes, and in 1 of those 2 instances tear-renderingly tragic, but not spectacular. I suppose you could call the others spectacular, but you'd have to be a fairly cold-hearted human to do so openly.
It's not something I'd really keep a list of personally. Still, having said that, Allan McNish had went over the wall at Spa in practice one year (2000?).

[Website]
Date: February 22, 2008 07:18PM
Posted by: laurent
I think it was Suzuka 2002

Anyway, I call a crash spectacular when a driver goes off, causes alot of debries, but most importent, gets out of the car without noticable injuries!!

spectacular crashes are crashes like Kubica in Canada, or Burti in Hockenheim/Spa, Ralf Schumacher in Melbourne (turn 1) etc... all with a happy ending.

When some gets injured, it's not spectacular, it's rather called 'shocking'. This kind if crashes shouldn't be happening, and luckily enough, we didn't get one over the past 14 years!

I hope most people do think this way... if not, go watch something where crashes are more importent than the racing. (Drag racing... oval racing...)
Date: February 22, 2008 07:31PM
Posted by: Fincent
Calling a fatal crash "spectacular" is, in my opinion, disrespectful to the people who have been affected. I agree with Laurent that when a driver has a big crash but walks away is ones that should be listed :) also having crashes in F1 helps make things a bit more exciting but it shouldn't be the main focus/point of racing for a fan of the sport :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: February 22, 2008 07:40PM
Posted by: Peat
Greg Moore - Fontana '99. Spectacular and fatal.

Im not gonna hide behind a moral façade, it was a spectacular accident which unfortunately killed him. Something i was severely gutted about it as he was my favourite CART driver at the time. But i have no bones about saying it was spectacular and shocking.

Date: February 22, 2008 08:11PM
Posted by: matt3454
Was it Villeneuve and Zonta in 2000/2001 (??) for BAR when they both went off at the top of Eau Rouge??

They were pretty impressive. So was Kubica's. So was the Nurburgring this year, when all them cars went off at the first corner and winklehock ended up leading. Although that was more comical ;)

Date: February 22, 2008 08:31PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Zonta's crash up at Eau Rouge was spectaculair, how the car tolled around, bet Zonta got dizzy ;) here the movie of the crash:

And here the crash of the other BAR driver in the same weekend at the same place ;)

&feature=related

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 08:33PM by Iceman-Kimi.
Date: February 22, 2008 08:48PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
bob1977 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think you are sick. People died in 3 of those
> crashes. No need. Crashes are all well and good
> when the person survives, but not when they die.

Oh, do shut up. If you don't like the idea don't @#$%& post in the thread, you sad man.
Date: February 22, 2008 09:05PM
Seeing how others have included CART, I will do to. Here is my list:

Michael Andretti - Mid Ohio - 1998 (Huge speed involved, really lucky to walk away IMO) -

Robert Kubica - Montreal - 2007 (I STILL think this looked a lot worse than it actually was but still none the less a massive accident) -

Dario Franchitti - Michigan 400 (The most extraordinary accident I've seen for a while) -

Gordon Smiley - 1982 (Fatal accident, nasty clip. Car just kinda burts open when it hits the wall) -

Katherine Legge - Road America - 2007 (Yes, well, this is what happen when they let girls drive cars :P ) -

Sorry if some of the dates are wrong, I don't follow Champcars too closely..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 12:27PM by loque.
Date: February 22, 2008 09:29PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Christian Fittipaldi in the Minardi back in 92 or 93, Ralf in Melbourne 02, Spa 98 (for the whole ;)), Trulli or Fisichella Silverstone for Renault, and Kubica at Montréal last year.
Date: February 22, 2008 09:58PM
Posted by: Nickv
Lucas di Grassis shunt at Hockenheim a few years back was pretty spectacular too.
Date: February 22, 2008 10:12PM
Posted by: Frantic
Guimengo Wrote:
> Christian Fittipaldi in the Minardi back in 92 or
> 93,

That reminds me the accident in Monza 93 :) do you remember it? that was espectacular too

Date: February 22, 2008 10:43PM
Posted by: gav
loque Wrote:
> Darius Franchitti - Indy 500 - 2006 (The most
> extraordinary accident I've seen for a while) -
>

For such an opinionated guy you couldn't really get a line of text any more wrong really.
Date: February 22, 2008 11:05PM
Posted by: bob1977
Well excuse me loque for having an opinion. Maybe calling it sick was harsh but don't dis people for having opinions.
Date: February 22, 2008 11:21PM
Posted by: sasjag
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> Zonta's crash up at Eau Rouge was spectaculair,
> how the car tolled around, bet Zonta got dizzy ;)
> here the movie of the crash:
>
>

>
> And here the crash of the other BAR driver in the
> same weekend at the same place ;)
>
>

&feature
> =related

those are the 2 crashes that pop into my head when i think of spectacular ones, they are just awesome

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 23, 2008 01:14AM
gav Wrote:
> loque Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Darius Franchitti - Indy 500 - 2006 (The most
> > extraordinary accident I've seen for a while) -
> >

>
> For such an opinionated guy you couldn't really
> get a line of text any more wrong really.

And how does being opinionated on a given subject make me entirely knowledgable about a completely unrelated subject?

Flawed logic my friend... I even said myself I didn't follow the Indy/Champcar scene too closely.

But his post was like something brnco would say, it was unconstructive and slated the OP because he has issues with violent crashes in which drivers have died. It's not as if the OP has a sadistic streak or anything, he was just asking for spectacular crashes, and then someone gets all jumped up and tells him he's sick. No need for it, really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 01:18AM by loque.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy