European Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Re: European Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: July 22, 2007 08:50PM
Posted by: Imran
@ Raulongo
Alonso has since apologised to massa for his behaviour after the race:
"We touched each other two times (on the track) and I apologise to him because I was so stressed when I finished the race, because we nearly didn't finish the race," he said.

"I apologise if I said anything to him, because it's motor racing and it's a fight. We finished the race, so I don't want to talk any more about this and I want to enjoy the win."

Source: Autosport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: July 22, 2007 08:56PM
Posted by: kimiraik
gin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone get what Massa was shouting at Alonso
> before he podium???!! was it in Italian?!!

Yep they were arguing in Italian
Date: July 22, 2007 09:15PM
Posted by: Slash
Joe_Satriani Wrote:
> What a bizarre race. The start of the race was
> brilliant with all that rain, and it shook the
> grid a little bit. But after it started to dry
> out, I saw it was going to be another snooze fest,
> but thankfully, bless the heavens, it wasn't due
> to the rain at the end of the race.
>
> Massa: Vibrations on the car...doesn't really
> convince me a lot. Sure it made it hard to drive
> the car, but in Nurburgring, you should be able to
> block. We've seen people doing harder stuff than
> this...remember shumacher holding up hill at
> raining spa with dry tyres? Anyway, maybe I'm just
> a bit pissed off on the fact that TV Globo was
> almost licking his ass saying he made a fantastic
> start, and was doing brilliantly up to the end.
> Served them right to talk up too much.
>
> Alonso: The dude's a true champion. Not so fast
> car, but still managed to keep up and then a big
> moment of luck there at the end of the race with
> the rain, and showing he really is good in wet
> conditions. IMO, his move was fair and square and
> Massa, the guinea pig, was a sore loser. I don't
> really like Alonso's personality, but the dude can
> drive.
>
> Kimi: Was going to win the race even with that
> small muck up at the start...but the car let him
> down yet again. Ferrari are really screwing up
> this year with Ross Brown...bring the dude back!!
>
> Hamilton: Drove a pretty good race, although he
> screwed up royally at the start with the dry tyre
> thing IMO. He would've made more ground with a wet
> tyre. His move on Fisi was good though!
>
> I'll post more later on the blog :)

I do believe Massa and his vibrations, he was the fastest when the track was really wet, and how was Kimi going to win?, he had to beat Fernando first and then Felipe when the track was dry, but it got wet, so he'll probably would've made another mistake and fall back, Alnoso is the man, no wonder why he's 2 time world champion

the guy that really impressed me today was Heikki, what a drive, it was a drive from a true race car driver, i think the gamble of the tyres cost them time at the end anyway because the rain came a little bit later then they expected, propbably 2 laps later, wich cost him time, nevertheless he drove great

and Nick had his head somewhere else, first he took Kubica out, and then Ralf, i didn't saw it but i think he passed Kubica on the last lap...

anyway the race was awesome and great to watch
Date: July 22, 2007 09:21PM
Posted by: chet
Massa really really needs to brush up on his wet weather driving if he wants to be as good as he could.

clearly he is nowhere near the likes of Alonso.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 22, 2007 09:26PM
Posted by: marcl
Nick runied a few peoples races today, 1st Kubica, then Hamiltons, then RS.

Think his mind was with his new son.

Massa got lucky today anyway t get 2nd as had kimi not messed up and not pitted massa would have had to queue.

Yet again though massa showed when out front he is so fast but defended not so good, but alonso was alot faster.

Massa is not the only one who had vibrations at the end though on them tyres, webber did as well.

Hekki is showing GF up now thats a few gps in a row he has been faster.
Date: July 22, 2007 09:29PM
Posted by: Nickv
He screwed up Hamiltons race? Can't remember that, what happened then?
Date: July 22, 2007 10:10PM
Posted by: tripleM
Heh, Webber had me shouting at the screen the way he took the last chicane.

Date: July 22, 2007 10:22PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
BEST RACE OF THE YEAR!!!! Finally the order of the world is restored with Fernando, Kimi, and Felipe running up front. The weather made this one the best without a doubt so far, strategy and racecraft finally meant something again!

Couldn't believe the amount of in race coverage given to Hamilton! The dude was running dead last in the field for a long portion of the race and yet the cameras were following him around instead of the leaders! I was tempted to throw a rock at my screen I was so pissed! I wouldn't mind if his little problems today linger on for the rest of the season. It's his first bit of adversity and we will be watching to see if or how he deals with it.

Fernando showed today why he is a 2 time World Champ, brilliant race! Kimi...tough luck, but what a lifeless sod he is. Everytime Schumi was shown on camera I couldn't help but think how much better Ferrari would be with him still the #1 driver, and also how 2/3's of the grid would still make him their #1 given the opportunity to do so!

Webber and DC, great drives. I kept expecting Webber to throw his podium away, and it looked for a while like Wurz might just nick him, but well done to Red Bull, though I wish DC had finished ahead of Webbo.

Wincklehock actually led! I wish he could have at least finished, but in one race he already shows himself superior to Albers (except in helmet design! ;) )

BMW? Was Nick on a search and destroy mission today or what? Ralfie looked a bit pissed when he got punted. Can't say I blame him.

Anyway, todays race rekindled my love affair with F1. A pity they can't all be this exciting...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2007 10:23PM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: July 22, 2007 10:27PM
Posted by: Karan
Did Hamilton suffer a puncture on the first lap at the hands of Nick Heidfeld? It was all quite messy in the midfield early on so was a bit hard to spot. But thats what a few of the broadcasts suggested, quite a messy race for Nick then but he brings it home solidly in the points again.

Date: July 22, 2007 10:30PM
Posted by: FRESCO
I'd say Hamiltons puncture was not caused as a result of hitting heidfeld, but as a result of running over the curbs on the outside avoiding heidfeld. They do seem quite sharp rumble strips out there.

Date: July 22, 2007 10:53PM
Posted by: bignav88
I think heidfeld hit hamilton's left rear after he made contact with kubica
Date: July 23, 2007 12:04AM
Posted by: MarcA
He didn't, he was miles off the way I saw it.

Date: July 23, 2007 12:12AM
Posted by: Muks_C
well that was a race and a half, wasn't it!

i listened to Murray on the radio with the tv turned down till it got red-flagged, but they kept switiching to the golf so i switched it off and stuck with James and Martin (sorry Murray).

they played The Chain when they went into the F1 coverage on 5 Live, and Murray said "ah, they're playing my song!".

some stupid tosser from the golf commentary team was saying how pointless F1 was, and that you just needed the right tyres and you'd be at the front (using Winklehock leading the race as an example). fucken idiot, F1's no way near as pointless as golf!

it was a miracle Lewis managed to slow his car down enough so he didn't damage it on the barrier. bad call on the slicks though.

and yes, it did seem like he got caught by one of the BMWs.

i was really surprised by Nick's dodgy driving at the start, he was never gonna overtake Kubica into that corner, he should have seen the outcome of that before he tried it.

i have sympathy for him for his move on Ralf though, Ralf even acknowledged that he had made a mistake at the final chicane so the following driver would obvisouly try to take advantage of it and have a go into the last corner.

shame Kimi missed the pitlane when he tried to pit, but he came back after the restart anyway so all was not lost, unlucky about the failure though, the championship could have done with him winning and Alonso and Massa retiring, plus Lewis not scoring.

Great driving from Alonso at the end, i don't know what the hell Felipe was arguing about, he drove into Alonso! the stuff we saw before they went onto the podium is the stuff we need to see more of, drivers arguing properly about an incident, not brake-testing and waving hands like Alonso usually does.

and that girl who was with Bernie on the grid was nice :)

shame we got no press conference, will have to see if they show it in the highlights show. they probably won't, they usually only show interviews from when the drivers are in the paddock after the race.
oh and once again, "Lousy" Goodman wasted an opportunity to talk to Mika Hakkinen by constantly asking for his thoughts on Hamilton.

oh and Button showed us his wet-weather prowess again, just like he did at Hungary last year. can the Button fans now stop saying "if it rains, Button will have a good chance at winning again", please?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 12:15AM by Muks_C.
Date: July 23, 2007 12:20AM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
> i have sympathy for him for his move on Ralf
> though, Ralf even acknowledged that he had made a
> mistake at the final chicane so the following
> driver would obvisouly try to take advantage of it
> and have a go into the last corner.

Ralf acknowledged his share of the blame. He didn't say it was his fault. Nick was a bit presumptuous, and Ralf a bit... well Ralf-like. 6 of one, and all that.
Date: July 23, 2007 12:22AM
FOM or not the director seemed lost at the beginning. I had no idea that Raikkonen was off at the same place. Shows how bad it was.

Copyright: AP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 12:23AM by tripleM.
Date: July 23, 2007 12:27AM
so that's turn 1, with Hamilton in the barrier in the background of the shot?

@ Gav, yeah i agree they were both to blame, i don't think either should get punished for it, you can see it from both drivers' viewpoint. Nick had to go for it, anyone would have, but he wasn't far enough alongside to claim he had the right to be there.

oh and to those doubting Massa's vibration problems, in the press conference Webber said he had the same problem with the inters as Massa, just been reading it on formula1.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 12:28AM by Muks_C.
Date: July 23, 2007 12:27AM
It pains to type this being somewhat partial to Heidefeld but he was nowhere close to pulling off a clean move against Schumacher.

His gesture a lap (?) later said it all.

Date: July 23, 2007 12:30AM
"so that's turn 1, with Hamilton in the barrier in the background of the shot?"

Yes, that's why i found this picture so surprising.

Date: July 23, 2007 12:30AM
that could have just been to the marshalls as it was a yellow flag zone, as the commentators alluded to. but it might have been an apology to Ralf also, we'll have to see what he said.

oh and i don't think the thinkg with Alonso and the Renault in the pitlane was that bad, there was enough room for 2 cars to drive side-by-side and there was no (additional) danger to the Honda mechanics, IMO.

the Honda team are just being spoilsports if they complain about it, the mechanics only flinched once the cars had already passed them. had they touched there might have been a bad incident, but pitlanes are generally wide enough for 2 cars so i don't think this was too bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 12:35AM by Muks_C.
Date: July 23, 2007 12:34AM
Good point about the marshalls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy