Proposed 2008 Regulation Changes

Posted by Zcott 
Proposed 2008 Regulation Changes
Date: June 16, 2005 06:38PM
Posted by: Zcott
Summary of the main changes proposed for 2008

Engines

All components of the engine will be controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which has been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to an agreed specification

The ECU may only be used with FIA approved software and may only be connected to the control system wiring loom, sensors and actuators as specified by the FIA

All control sensors, actuators and FIA monitoring sensors will be specified and homologated by the FIA

The control system wiring loom connectivity will be specified by the FIA

A 3 litre V10 engine will remain an option for teams unable to obtain a 2.4 litre V8, but subject to similar strict performance limitations as in 2006 and 2007

Reasons

To eliminate the use of driver aids such as traction control

As teams will not be able to develop their own ECUs, expenditure on electronics will be considerably reduced

To allow the FIA to check testing mileage and other elements

To keep engine costs low for the smaller independent teams

Gearboxes

All cars will be fitted with gear ratios, final drive ratios and differentials which have been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to an agreed specification

Gear changing will only be permitted by the use of a manually operated mechanical linkage to the gearbox

Clutches will only be operated via a foot pedal connected mechanically to a release mechanism

Reasons

To restore control over the clutch and gear changing to the driver

The use of standard gearbox internals will result in a very significant reduction in expenditure

Bodywork

Downforce will be reduced to approximately 10% of current levels

Drag will be maintained at current levels

Overall car width will be increased

By stipulating maximum and minimum dimensions cars will be “cleaned up” with devices such as barge boards, flip ups, winglets and other small add on parts r
emoved

Total advertising area on the car to remain unchanged

Reasons

To reduce the reliance upon downforce as a means of improving performance

By increasing mechanical grip the likelihood of one car being able to follow another closely in corners, and hence be in an attacking position at the end of the following straight, will be increased

Eliminating winglets, bargeboards, etc, will reduce costs as well as the danger of debris on the circuits

Drag should remain unchanged in order to ensure straight line speeds do not increase significantly

Wheels and Tyres

Tyres will be supplied by one manufacturer appointed by the FIA after an invitation to tender. Such an appointment will be conditional upon:

A suitable supplier being available

A suitable system to ensure tyre testing is carried out in an equitable manner

No team being disadvantaged by the appointment of a single supplier (detailed regulations will be written to ensure this would not be the case)

There being no legal impediments during the process of appointing a supplier

Slick tyres will be introduced for use in dry weather

Lower profile tyres will be introduced

Significantly larger wheels with minimum and maximum sizes stipulated for front and rear will be permitted

Tyre blankets and other heating devices will be prohibited

All tyre regulations will reside in the Technical Regulations

Reasons

A single supplier would allow a bigger safety margin

The absence of competitive tyre testing would reduce costs

As relatively small differences in tyre compound and construction can have a significant effect on lap times, a single tyre supplier would simply ensure that no team would be adversely affected by being contracted to the “wrong” supplier

Slick tyres would be re-introduced as a part of the low-downforce and high-mechanical-grip package

Lower profile tyres would be introduced in order to give the wheels and tyres a more modern look and also permit more freedom on brakes and suspension

A ban on tyre heating devices would eliminate this significant but unnecessary expenditure

Chassis

The minimum height of the centre of gravity of the chassis will be specified

The minimum weight for a chassis will be specified

Energy of all impact tests will be increased

Loads for all static tests will be increased

Side intrusion test requirements will be increased

Ballast will be reduced to minimal levels

Reasons

To ensure that weight is distributed throughout the chassis

The centre of gravity requirement should result in less pure ballast being used, the minimum weight will have to be achieved by the construction of a stronger chassis

By raising the impact test speeds, the static load criteria on structures such as roll hoops and increasing the penetration resistance, drivers will be even better protected than they are at present

Brakes

All cars will be fitted with brake discs, pads and callipers which have been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to an agreed specification

Reason

To reduce the cost of continual development of new materials and designs, the FIA specified products will be designed to work on all types of track and last an entire Grand Prix weekend

Data Acquisition and Telemetry

With specific exceptions, any data acquisition system, telemetry system or associated sensors additional to those associated with the ECU will be physically separate and completely isolated from the control electronics

Pit to car telemetry will be prohibited

Reasons

To ensure that any data acquisition system used by a team cannot interfere with the FIA specified ECU and sensors

To ensure teams are unable to send messages to a car and potentially affect its performance

Materials

Limitations, similar to those within the 2006 engine regulations, will be imposed on all parts of the car

Reason

Costs will be reduced as research into exotic materials will be unnecessary

Starter

All cars will be equipped with a driver operated starter which is capable of starting the car without outside assistance a minimum number of times

Reasons

To simplify the operation of starting a car, at present it is massively complex

To give the driver a chance of starting a car unaided in the event of it stopping on the track

To reduce the number of personnel needed at an Event and hence reduce costs

Notice of Change

Notice periods for changing the rules will be related to the effect (if any) of a change on the design of a car rather than an artificial distinction between “sporting” and “technical” regulations. There will no longer be a distinction between changes to the engine, transmission or chassis.

Reason

To ensure that changes may be made to the regulations in a timely and more realistic way

Spare Cars **

Spare cars will be prohibited, i.e. no team may have more than two built-up cars available at an Event at any one time. Spare chassis will be permitted but precisely what constitutes a car in this context will be clearly defined

Reason

By taking one car less to races teams will be able to save considerable sums of money as, apart from the cost of the car itself, fewer personnel will be needed

TESTING **

Testing will be limited to 30000km per team between 1st January and 31st December, subject to a single tyre supplier being appointed

Reason

To reduce the enormous amounts of money currently being spent on testing

Car Acqusition **

Teams will be free to buy a complete car or any part of a car from another constructor

How constructor’s points are to be allocated will be clearly defined after further discussion

Reason

To enable a team to buy a complete car, or any part of a car, from another constructor. As a result teams will be able to save considerable sums of money on the design and development of their cars

** For the purposes of the submission to the World Council these Sporting Regulations will be included as an addendum to the draft Technical Regulations.

CRAZY!

Re: Proposed 2008 Regulation Changes
Date: June 16, 2005 06:45PM
Posted by: chet
lol i posted in other thread..

hmm interesting.. i like the width increase.. back to 97 looking cars lol

without barge boards sidepod desing will be interesting and pretty cool im sure

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 16, 2005 06:48PM
Posted by: tripleM
So what do we have and may have

a standardized engine(ECU encluded)

a set center of gravity

standard brakes

spec gearbox

I'd like to see what the GPwhatsername come up with
Date: June 16, 2005 06:52PM
Posted by: Lemming
10% of current downforce levels?!

2.4 litre V8s?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. This sounds terrible.

Why is the pinnacle of motorsport taking a huge leap backwards?

Date: June 16, 2005 07:16PM
Posted by: -Mikey-
hate the idea of being able to buy parts from another constructor. defeats the object of teams being able to design and improve instead of just scabbing stuff from another team. stupid money problems!

Date: June 16, 2005 07:27PM
Posted by: ferrariman
NO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NONO NO NO

THIS IS ALL WRONG!!!!! ITS BAD ENOUGH AS IT IS AT THE MO

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport - let it stay that way!

Gp2 and NASCAR will probably have more gizmos than F1 in a few years if somebody doesnt do anything about these ludicrous rule change proposals

SOON THERE WILL ONLY BE ONE TEAM WHO HAVE 20 CARS ON THE GRID!!!!

Date: June 16, 2005 07:28PM
Posted by: Xero
Those propositions are appauling! If all those past, you would be left with a car slower than a GP2 car, and probably an A1 car too... to hell with that! I'm sure the GPWC would be formed the instant many of those passed!
Date: June 16, 2005 07:40PM
Posted by: marcl
why do they not just all by lola and fit a ford engine to it.

Crap crap crap.

I agree with the gear box though even though thats a step back, manual gear changing using a stick

I also agree with TC even though road cars now have it.

F1 is dead in 2008 lets now hope the car makers get their way
Date: June 16, 2005 08:37PM
Posted by: sasjag
as usual on the whole its gd, its obvious (to me) that Max has thrown a few things in there that he knows will get rejected, but some of teh proposals sound gd

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 16, 2005 08:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
it depends what they want F1 to be about.

do they want it to be the pinnacle of Motorsport, or do they want to increase the competition and make more exciting racing?

the slash of downforce to only 10% of current level is a good idea for competitive racing, but its not an idea that helps to keep its title as pinnacle of motorsport.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2005 08:42PM by Muks_C.
Date: June 16, 2005 08:52PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Looks a very good proposal for the majority of it.

- Slick tyres
- One tyre manufacturer
- increased car width (pre-1998 stylee again???)
- no more winglets, barge boards etc.
- decreased downforce on the car even more
- manual gearbox
- no tyre heaters and smaller engines and no spare car to keep costs down for smaller teams

etc etc etc.

Date: June 16, 2005 08:53PM
Posted by: Morbid
Pffttt!! What is it with you guys? I cannot even count how many times I have seen several of these things being wished upon again and again... Probably the most popular one is reintroduction of slicks and the reduction of downforce's dominance over mechanical grip, so we could get overtaking again... Yet all I see is people whining about the stuff they don't like, and totally ignoring the myriads of things that people here have posted again and again that they actually want.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 16, 2005 08:57PM
Posted by: Vader
Total advertising area on the car to remain unchanged

This is probably the most important part.

However, if it provides for interesting and close racing I don't mind if they have V10 or V2, 8 million or 80 bhp or whatever. F1 specs have always changed drastically over the years and no change really ruined F1. I say it again, I don't care about the specs or regulations as long as there is good racing.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 16, 2005 09:08PM
Posted by: anze89
are they fu*cking stupid? I like some parts, but I hate the 'FIA designated supplier' sh*t. I like the idea of a single ECU but gearboxes and breaks?! come on, then we will have 20 cars with the same performance, and what will the lap times be if they reduce the downforce for 90% ? 2:30.xxx around monaco :s or something like that

Spare cars will be prohibited, i.e. no team may have more than two built-up cars available at an Event at any one time. Spare chassis will be permitted but precisely what constitutes a car in this context will be clearly defined

so someone crashed on friday because his brakes (that are from FIA) faild and he totally destroyed the car and he's out from the race because he will have no car to use on sunday?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2005 09:11PM by anze89.
Date: June 16, 2005 09:10PM
Posted by: Imran
But F1 has always remained the fastest and most advanced form of motorsport. If the rule changes come into place it will no longer be so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: June 16, 2005 09:14PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
What are you on about? This sounds good. Proper gears, clutch, no traction control. This sounds better. If it works then it will be more about the skill of the driver than the complexity of the car - this is what it should be about. Still the car will have a big majority, but you will get back to better good style of racing and stuff.

I hear someone complaining that the cars won't have "enough gizmos" - that's the whole point, and I think that's a brilliant idea.

F1 has been to be honest quite @#$%& in recent years. It has been a bit better as of late mind though.

I think most of this stuff is good :) Although I am not completely sure what all of it would involve and I can't see it all being accepted anyway.

H E L L O
Date: June 16, 2005 09:17PM
F1 has never been the fastest. Indy racing is much faster and still sucks. F1 isn't baout acceleration either, since Dragster are bette rin this respect and still this kind of racing sucks, too.

If all cars have the same performance we'll finally be able to see how good drivers really are in relation to each other. Honestly, who gives a f*ck if laptimes are 2:xx or 1:xx? I don't understand this argument at all.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 16, 2005 09:30PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Exactly, if this makes all the cars and teams even, but still allows the teams to design their own aero and other parts of the car, then surely thats the goal?

Date: June 16, 2005 09:41PM
Posted by: tripleM
F1 *is* the fastest series around any road course.

Date: June 16, 2005 09:58PM
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> F1 *is* the fastest series around any road
> course.
>

Only what does this say if the cars have electronic gizmos to the brim that even a monkey could drive considerably fast in them?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy