Proposed 2008 Regulation Changes

Posted by Zcott 
Re: Proposed 2008 Regulation Changes
Date: June 16, 2005 10:35PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
It's good to get rid of the driver aids etc, but at the same time, a standard ECU isn't great. And standard gearboxes, brakes etc is just turning it into a single make series. Same with removal of winglets etc. Tese small areodynamic devices separate the cars, make them look different. Reduce downforce some other way (like they're doing), but don't ban these. Maybe limit them (because if you define what constitutes a 'winglet' or bargeboard, you can limit teams to the number of additions to the basic chassis they can have, and the teams can choose which ones they have), but don't ban them. Less debris on the track too! wtf are they on!

The banning of 3rd cars will just make it worse for the spectators and lower teams especially. Think about it, who's going to go out on a Friday and thrash the car around knowing that if they make a small mistake, their weekend is over? Well, the top teams will, because they will have enough spare parts and enough mechanics to make sure that a damaged car can be meneded (although if they break the monoquoce (sp?) they've had it), but the smaller teams won't be able to afford all those spares or mechanics.

And wtf is with banning of tyre warmers. They complain about tyre temps and pressures getting too low behind th safety car, but how on earth is a car going to go out of the pits with a full tank of fuel on tyres that are litterally at air temperature? There will be no grip at all, and that's asking for trouble if they're concerned about safety.

Good idea about the starter. Have never understood why teams don't put one in anyway. It's practical.

Date: June 16, 2005 10:53PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
remember these are proposed and will no doubt change before even the end of this year
Date: June 16, 2005 11:29PM
Posted by: chet
reducing aero by 90% will be so wrong.. especially that much..

Those A1gp cars will no doubt be faster..

btw any1 remember the f1racing article that sed f1 may be call GP1..?? coz Bernie hs the rights to the name? o_0

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 17, 2005 12:30AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I don't care if A1 GP cars go faster. I want good wheel-to-wheel racing between real drivers - where a driver wins based on his ability, not how much grunt he has in the back, or his car.

[Website]
Date: June 17, 2005 12:31AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
lol perfect attitude ferrari_fuhrer..
slower times...longer races...more action.
as long as its F1 i will watch it... comon i watched 2004 afteer all :P
Date: June 17, 2005 12:40AM
Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't care if A1 GP cars go faster. I want good
> wheel-to-wheel racing between real drivers - where
> a driver wins based on his ability, not how much
> grunt he has in the back, or his car.

There will be wheel to wheel action in a1gp there'yre the same cars practicaly...

the drivers all want to go as fast as possible..

so wen theres a series just like f1. but with faster cars they mite choose to go to the a1gp series..

lets put it this way...

if i were a racing driver in f1.. i would hate to see these drivers in the A1 series lapping Silverstone faster than me..

1 - these a1 drivers will be most likley f3 grads... just imagine if Bruno Senna, or Nico Rosberg was lapping faster than Kimi Raikonen at the same track in a car thats supposed to be in a lower class?? it would be soo embarassing for kimi..

I understand the need for competitive racing.. but some of these changes are far too radical.. but like ppl have sed they are only proposed

Date: June 17, 2005 01:54AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
*sigh*

H E L L O
Date: June 17, 2005 02:14AM
Posted by: Zcott
You're failing to take into account the popularity and commercial factor of F1, chet. Millions of people worldwide know "Formula One", but how many know "A1GP"?

Date: June 17, 2005 05:05AM
Posted by: Jithendra
The changes seems ok to me...as it will be more of a driver skill the AI driven cars. but i do agree that F1 is going backwards.. i dont c much difference in the regulation of Junior Formula and Formula 1 now. But I'll surely miss those stunning F1 cars designs the ferraris, renaults & mclarens have.

Date: June 17, 2005 08:41AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Why are you all so disappointed with the reduction of downforce? Look how fast the tyres keep getting each year with grooves. If they had the same downforce with slicks the drivers would probably kill themselves driving around a corner :P
Date: June 17, 2005 09:29AM
Posted by: b-tone
didnt read it all too carefully, but it looks good. wider cars, slower laptimes hpefullt.
on tv its hard to tell the difference between a v12 revving at 20,000rpm doing 320km/h and a v8 revving at 15,000 doing 260. if it produces closer racing, or not even that but makes the drivers work more and make f1 less about the car then its good.
although by the time everyone has a look it will probably be reduced to free pre-race tea and biscuits for the drivers

____
Tony

Date: June 17, 2005 10:16AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
increased car width oh dear, even bigger renaults ;)
Date: June 17, 2005 10:17AM
Posted by: Guimengo
The bit I don't like about this whole proposal are the parts manufactured not by the teams, but the FIA or a standard company. I would like to see each team having its own gearbox, for example, not a generic one.

If that is solved, I am fine with it, but the idea of the cars not reaching the 300km/h + speed isn't attractive to me. Perhaps let the engines still rev around the 17000s or so, with maybe 850 hp?
Date: June 17, 2005 10:35AM
Posted by: richardd
At the end of the day, this should have been done way back in the 90s. We used to see formula one races where the great drivers used to battle through with an under-performing car.

The biggest thing i'd like to see is more overtaking!!! As it is now you're lucky if you see many decent passes between drivers. Schumi and alonso at imola is the obvious example. If you've got a car 2 seconds a lap faster you should dang well be able to cruise past someone like that. the same when you get a queue of half a dozen cars crawling round behind someone on a one stop strategy.

Why not reduce the ammount of personnel in the pits too similar to nascar and indy? the indy teams manage to change 4 tyres and fuel up with only one person on each wheel just as fast as an f1 crew
Date: June 17, 2005 10:45AM
Posted by: Lemming
Looking at how good the 2005 season has been so far, why change it so drastically? I mean they changed the rules quite a bit for this season and it seems to have worked, but these 2008 rules just look like they're going to push it too far...

Date: June 17, 2005 11:13AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Where did it say the cars wont be going 300+?
Date: June 17, 2005 11:19AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bit I don't like about this whole proposal are
> the parts manufactured not by the teams, but the
> FIA or a standard company. I would like to see
> each team having its own gearbox, for example, not
> a generic one.

Ah yes, but then you get good old cheating if the teams make it themselves, ala Benetton with the old traction control in 94 and also ferrari. No doubt there will still be room for cheating, but this will limit it. And Lemming, the only reason 2005 hasn't been so boring is because of car failures and problems. This will not happen always, and if a dominating team got it right, they will still easily run away with the race because their car is much better.

H E L L O
Date: June 17, 2005 11:21AM
Posted by: Priddo
If they go through then its goodbye F1.
Date: June 17, 2005 11:39AM
Posted by: tripleM
"btw any1 remember the f1racing article that sed f1 may be call GP1..?? coz Bernie hs the rights to the name? o_0"

I heard that the rights are own by GP2 Ltd.

[webdb1.patent.gov.uk]
Date: June 17, 2005 12:03PM
hmm.. apparently f1 was goin to becaise gp1.. :S

@gui - yeah.. i agree with that..
@Zcott - i actualy forgot that lol :\

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy