Lance Armstrong Doping Case

Posted by davidm 
Lance Armstrong Doping Case
Date: October 11, 2012 05:56PM
Posted by: davidm
This whole thing is really irritating. Not because the guy may not be a serious drug cheat just the way it has been done.

Can anyone explain to me how the USDA can ban or strip someone of sporting titles? Surely that can only be a sporting governing body. Everything related to this case is based on third party comment with not a shred of factual evidence. It seems the guy who runs this agency is trying to make a name for himself, possibly to get into the more murky world of American politics.
Re: Lance Armstrong Doping Case
Date: October 14, 2012 03:50PM
Posted by: loren
The USADA and UCI (cycling governing body) are still arguing over who has the power to alter results. But now that the report is issued UCI will look horrible if they don't go along with stripping the titles. I've read it and it is very damning. It is far, far more than just "third party comment" as you claim. Probably 7-8 of the ex-teammates either witnessed Lance actually in the process of doping or were given drugs by him. And while guys like Hamilton and Landis aren't credible on their own, the five guys who came forward recently have never been caught and were well respected. Plus there's over a million dollars in transactions to the convicted Dr. Ferrari, and scientific analysis of Lance's blood parameters - he would not have passed under the current rules. I think Lance realized there was no way he could win this time.
Re: Lance Armstrong Doping Case
Date: October 15, 2012 01:13PM
Posted by: pete-21
davidm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Can anyone explain to me how the USDA can ban or
> strip someone of sporting titles?

The UCI has a finders rule stating 'that whichever agency comes into evidence of cheating has the authority to Pursue the case'. So their own rule gives WADA the authority.

On a personal note I started to watch the Tour De France in the late eighties and by the late ninties even I could tell someting was seriously wrong in the sport, riders were coming from mid pack obscurity to dominate and then came Armstrong. By the early 2000's I had stopped watching. I did however watch some of this years race and looking back I find it's reassuring to see stage times increasing compared to a few yeas ago.

However, I think it's going to take decades for the sport to recover it's credability.
Re: Lance Armstrong Doping Case
Date: October 15, 2012 06:51PM
Posted by: davidm
Thanks to both of you for the clarification. Thats information I wasn't aware of and isn't available on sites like the Beeb. I think I was clear LA was an issue but I think they are using him as a specific scapegoat (there must be many others who are just as culpable - even if they didn't win).

I also think the guy who runs USADA is entirely doing this for his own ends. The other thing which seems alarming is that USADA is apparently answerable to nobody and has no form of US government rubber stamp.
Re: Lance Armstrong Doping Case
Date: February 12, 2013 11:49PM
Posted by: Slash
davidm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This whole thing is really irritating. Not because
> the guy may not be a serious drug cheat just the
> way it has been done.
>
> Can anyone explain to me how the USDA can ban or
> strip someone of sporting titles? Surely that can
> only be a sporting governing body. Everything
> related to this case is based on third party
> comment with not a shred of factual evidence. It
> seems the guy who runs this agency is trying to
> make a name for himself, possibly to get into the
> more murky world of American politics.


.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, Vader, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy