GUIDE: How to run Grand Prix 3 on Windows 10

Posted by PTRACER 
Re: GUIDE: How to run Grand Prix 3 on Windows 10
Date: April 21, 2021 10:53PM
Posted by: peke12
@pippozzo, thanks for the info.
I did all you mentioned and it seems to improve perfomance.
The first lap, on the first few corners, PO is still between 150 and 300 %.
As from the second lap, it is mostly on 60 - 70 with brief peaks to 150. When more cars appear in short space, it falls down to 150 - 200 too.
RCR is set to default values.
Perfomance has been improved in hardware mode, but still not good enough, as I am a bit of a perfectionist. :-) I need to be below PO 100 all the time.
graphics details are set to max in GP3.

In GPXpatch, what is the recommended setting for "use CPU"?

EDIT: I set the 'use CPU' option in GPXpatch to all which gave another big performance boost. The first lap is now very acceptable to race in HW mode.
PO doesn't rise above 150 for short periods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 11:04PM by peke12.
Date: April 29, 2021 09:32PM
Posted by: zifox
To my horror, I have the same exact visual bug when I try to launch it using Windows 7.

Yes, I went through the trouble of buying a new hard drive, installing win7 on a computer with USB3 only, just to be able to run GP3 glitch free.

And sadly it doesn't work. I guess I really have an issue with my graphic card (Radeon 5700)

One difference though: when running the performance test, i have the visual glitch on every mode (software too). With Win10 I had only issues with Hardware modes.

edit: I did another test today: usethe drive on another computer (currently running a linux server), which has an integrated intel HD graphics chipset, reinstall win7 + drivers, launch GP3 and... it runs perfectly fine.
I thought of using this computer to play the game, but for some weird reason Windows 7 won't boot at all if I leave my linux drivers connected and I don't want to have to switch cables every other day. That's when it struck me: I have another computer I could use! We have an "old" dell laptop, also with integrated intel graphics, and even a GTX650M.

I did a quick copy paste of my GP3 folder on the laptop, launched GP3 through dxwnd (the laptop has win10), and it runs perfectly fine. (B)

Why the hell didn't I thought of using the laptop before ? :(

So problem solved: it's definitely a bug on AMD's graphic cards...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 09:23PM by zifox.
Date: June 08, 2021 08:19AM
Posted by: volcom87
I have windows 8.1 machine and I have tried DGvoodoo and DXwind. It seems that DXwind works okay, PO is about 50-70 % so game runs very well.

But one issue, I have to adjust rain probability about 35 %, lesser value means problem with PO. Is there way I could play championship with other rain probability?
Date: July 10, 2021 03:21AM
Posted by: katunga
Hi all:

Getting back to GP3 after many years. In my machine GP3 runs flawlessly with a Win10 install (software mode, that´s enough for me) but 4 GB Patch came to my attention recently. Anyone has played GP3 with this patch? Is there any difference in performance between the unmodified exe and the "converted" for x64?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2021 03:23AM by katunga.
Date: July 28, 2021 11:16AM
You shouldn't see any difference as it would be useful only if your application needed more than 2GB of memory, which is definitely not the case with GP3.

(btw the patch doesn't convert anything to x64, so not perf boost CPU wise, it simply allows 32bits application to allocate more than 2GB of ram)
Date: August 23, 2021 12:51PM
Posted by: BrunoMarques
Does anyone have also the issue where in a wet race, the track background disappears shortly after the race loads?
Date: August 30, 2021 06:31PM
Nevers had such an issue. What is your setup ?
(OS, GPU, software/hard render, are tout using dxwnd or dgvoodoo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 06:32PM by zifox.
Date: August 30, 2021 11:49PM
- Windows 10 21H1 (On XP SP3 compatibility)
- Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER
- Hardware
- dgvoodoo as instructed in the first post. I tried dxwnd, but I can't really get it to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 11:49PM by BrunoMarques.
Date: September 03, 2021 01:58PM
Personnally I haven't been able to make dgvoodoo work, it had too many glitches/issues, so I use dxWnd. (only issue I have is some transparency in the tyres' thread.
Date: September 03, 2021 07:10PM
Can you show your settings for dxWnd?
Date: October 07, 2021 07:58AM
Posted by: PTRACER
DXWND settings are shown in my tutorial video below

PTRACER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is my guide for Windows 10 in hardware mode
> with a DX wrapper (both DXWND and dgvoodoo options
> are shown)
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 04, 2021 11:06PM
Posted by: jaguarcatalonia
Hello back to y'all.(Y)

I downloaded and installed today from some abandonware site, loaded the nocd patch, and works awesome, just two things:

1-I always have to calibrate the graphics and put the game in 640x480 before I start racing. Why? I definitely can stand that, but is there anyway to skip that?

2-The instructions of gp3edit when I initiate it are quite confusing, however, do I really have to download the unsafedisc thing? Isn't there any other way of using it?
Date: November 13, 2021 10:16AM
Posted by: teunieeegp4
jaguarcatalonia Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello back to y'all.(Y)
>
> I downloaded and installed today from some
> abandonware site, loaded the nocd patch, and works
> awesome, just two things:
>
> 1-I always have to calibrate the graphics and put
> the game in 640x480 before I start racing. Why? I
> definitely can stand that, but is there anyway to
> skip that?

I would like that to know to
Must be a setting of a f1gstate thing :)
Date: November 13, 2021 06:24PM
Posted by: pippozzo
Sorry, You actually shouldn't calibrate , at start of the game, when asking to you if you want calibrate, put even "No".
You have to set you graphic option in options-> graphic setting.
Date: November 16, 2021 02:25PM
Indeed you don't have to calibrate everytime, it's a bug of the game which does not store the fact that it did the calibration already. Simply say no.

Regarding the resolution choice, i don't get it: the game does not save the one you have set before ? (note: the menu has a fixed resolution.)
Date: November 18, 2021 11:57AM
Posted by: Riya
Here is written how to fix grafic calibration problem.
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Download Grafics Calibration
Date: May 23, 2022 06:16PM
Posted by: Castello
I am struggling to understand why GP3 now refuses to run on Windows 11 Pro ARM64. Until yesterday, it was running just fine with dgVoodoo 2 installed and configured. This is driving me nuts since last night because I can't figure out why, I click to run the game and nothing happens. I have reinstalled it several times. I have even tried a brand new Windows install. It's bloody crazy. Am I missing something? The only thing I did yesterday was to uninstall Steam and rFactor 2, which I had installed just to test hours before, because I needed more disk space for other things. I also uninstalled some MS C++ Redistributables that were installed yesterday out of nowhere. Other than that, there are nothing really really different.

This is bloody crazy. Because I was running the game just fine since last weekend until yesterday.

Other old games from the same era as GP3, like Max Payne 1 and Counter-Strike 1.6 are running just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2022 06:17PM by Castello.
Date: May 23, 2022 08:32PM
Posted by: pippozzo
try to restore the system from the shadow copy more recent .
maybe it will repristinate rfactor2 etc. but if so it take back the system status to a previous version. then do not uninstall c++ redistributables, cause it may be used by other apps. if doesn't work you can uninstall/install gp3 . Mind, dgvood has the .conf file in the folder. you actually can take apart that, and recopy back in the folder of gp3, after reinstall. that should keep the configuration of dgvoodoo
Date: May 24, 2022 11:10AM
What the error ?
Are you running with admin grants? Did you check the compatibility?

Here I'm not using dvdoo (yet).

But my GP3 doesn't start after a fresh reboot.

I have to kill the GP3.exe proccess and start it again. Furthermore, this happens just once each reboot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy