Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: January 18, 2011 08:39PM
Posted by: EC83
So does this mean there's a Fake Fake Lotus now? :-/

Date: January 18, 2011 09:48PM
Posted by: Frantic
@loque: there is a difference because in this case the livery is inspired in a tobacco brand coloured livery

Date: January 18, 2011 10:38PM
Yeah, but there should be no problem unless JPS is actually advertised. It's a livery inspired by a retro livery, not an actual resurrection of said retro livery.

Date: January 18, 2011 10:44PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>It's a livery inspired by a
> retro livery, not an actual resurrection of said
> retro livery.

This, exactly. It's based on it. It's not a JPS livery because JPS don't sponsor Lotus. If they made an all yellow car like the Lotus 99T but without the camel would that be baccy branding too? No.

By the way, that has already been modified as a non-tobacco livery and it would look loads better than the JPS one :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 10:47PM by loque.
Date: January 18, 2011 11:08PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
It is a bit like saying that the Team Lotus car resembles a Golden Virginia pack due to it being green and yellow. It's ever so vague.

EDIT: I may have been exaggerating...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 03:59PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: January 18, 2011 11:28PM
Posted by: gav
Not really. The Lotus-Renault is clearly styled to remind us of the JPS Lotus. The green and yellow Lotus are the Lotus colours before any sponsorship - it's like British Racing Green, orange McLarens or red Ferraris - that's just their colours.

If anything, it's closer to the Marlboro logos pre-barcode (the Marlboro logo without the name - just the white triangle intercepting the red)... while it's not directly advertising a brand, it's mimicking it.

Don't confuse this post with me arguing it wouldn't be stupid though.
Date: January 19, 2011 06:56AM
Posted by: Gigi4
gav Wrote:
> If anything, it's closer to the Marlboro logos
> pre-barcode (the Marlboro logo without the name -
> just the white triangle intercepting the red)...
> while it's not directly advertising a brand, it's
> mimicking it.

Don't forget Ferrari also changed shade of red to match that of marlboro, even if it is barely noticeable.

Date: January 19, 2011 09:34PM
Posted by: alexf1man
An email from Ferrari:

"Ferrari.com is delighted to invite you to discover the new Ferrari. Online preview on January 21st at 12:00 CET."

---

Which is 11:00 GMT for the UK :-) Thing is I can see this when it's uploaded which is nice.

Even if it's "only" a road car not a F1 car.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 09:39PM by alexf1man.
Date: January 19, 2011 11:45PM
Posted by: senninho
Gigi4 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If anything, it's closer to the Marlboro logos
> > pre-barcode (the Marlboro logo without the name
> -
> > just the white triangle intercepting the
> red)...
> > while it's not directly advertising a brand,
> it's
> > mimicking it.
>
> Don't forget Ferrari also changed shade of red to
> match that of marlboro, even if it is barely
> noticeable.

I think an important difference is that Ferrari are still paid sponsorship money by Marlboro, whereas Renault aren't getting any money from John Player. Therefore, it's much easier to argue that one of them is 'advertising' as opposed to 'nostalgia'.

That said, why hasn't there been a similar fuss in Canada over the Ferraris?

Date: January 20, 2011 02:13PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Another twist in the story: JPS looks to be cleverly using the return of the Renault livery to get some free advertising

Source: Joe Saward

It will probably go towards strengthening the perceived link between Renault and JPS, even if no money has changed hands.

On the other hand, Bahar is pretty desperate, so he probably would agree to a deal if it could give him some funds to start another few motorsport programs.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 20, 2011 06:06PM
Without a doubt it'll strengthen the perceived link, but it still doesn't create an actual one.
As said already, it should just be a storm in a teacup.

Date: January 21, 2011 12:20PM
Posted by: danm
I still don't get it. I think the black/gold jps livery looked pretty unspectacular to be honest. Don't know what all the fuss is about the 'amazingness' of this 'legendary' scheme. Meh.

Lotus 92 was pretty nice.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 21, 2011 04:17PM
Posted by: chet
So far the pictures we've seen have been with poor lighting and poor quality. I think ill judge what the car looks like when it goes testing.

Danm IMO the reason for the JPS livery was to just piss off Tony Fernandes who said beforehand he wanted to use black and gold. That and of course GL are sponsors. I want to like this team because ive liked the team since Giancarlo was at Benno. Thing is I dont like the GL approach to F1 much.

On the 2011 season, I know I probably say this every year but it should be amazing!

We know RBR will build a car, we can be confident Ferrari, be relativley sure Mclaren will. But I also believe Renault and Mercedes will be up there! Maybe not as quick as the others but i sure hope so! I really really really want to see Nico and Schumacher up front! If Nico get's the Mercedes he deserves the other drivers are going to get a real shock! :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 21, 2011 06:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I always liked the Lotus 102...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this season, and everything should really be much closer.

Expectations:
- Points for Team Lotus and maybe Virgin.
- One of the Toro Rosso drivers gets ditched for Ricciardo.
- Rosberg to maybe get a win
- Another tight championship battle
- di Montezemolo to moan about something.
- A Karthikeyan crash
- Trulli and Webber to retire at the end of the year
- Bernie to announce a race in North Korea or Iraq

yeah, I think that covers it...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 21, 2011 09:38PM
Posted by: james84
Ferrari 2011 helmets
[www.flickr.com]
Date: January 22, 2011 02:50PM
I'm looking forward to see if Mercedes will make any real progress forward this year, or if they just prove to be a reincarnation of Honda, as some have speculated.

Date: January 22, 2011 04:08PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
EC83 schrieb:
>.....or if they
> just prove to be a reincarnation of Honda, as some
> have speculated.

not with schuey in the team bro, definately not.
Actually i was thinking of betting like 10-15 euro on michael to win WDC 2011. the coefficient must be a high one :) and the odds not so unrealistic
Date: January 23, 2011 11:49PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I really don't think Schumi can cut it against Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel anymore, shorray.
Date: January 24, 2011 12:28AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i hope after like lets say 5 races into the season i will quote your message and P.S. it with something like : "... or can he" xexex.

btw murray said it well, love him or hate him, you can never ignore him. and yes i know i am a big fan of michael, but still thats what makes this sport so great. Everything can happen at any time to any driver :)

Off topic, dont you guys think that the dangerous accidents in the last 3-4 years became too much again:
1) coulthard wurz australia 2007
2) kubica montreal 2007
3) massa hungary 2009
4) webber and the HRT at valencia 2010
5) schumi and liuzzi at abu dhabi 2010
6) kovalainen at barcelona 2008

all of those were life threatning and thus, despite the great efforts that've been done to improve safety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 12:29AM by mitadumapaga.
Date: January 24, 2011 04:05PM
Posted by: alexf1man
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> i hope after like lets say 5 races into the season i will quote your message and P.S. it with something like : "... or can he" xexex.
>
> btw murray said it well, love him or hate him, you can never ignore him. and yes i know i am a big fan of michael, but still thats what makes this sport so great. Everything can happen at any time to any driver :)
>
> Off topic, dont you guys think that the dangerous accidents in the last 3-4 years became too much again:
> 1) coulthard wurz australia 2007
> 2) kubica montreal 2007
> 3) massa hungary 2009
> 4) webber and the HRT at valencia 2010
> 5) schumi and liuzzi at abu dhabi 2010
> 6) kovalainen at barcelona 2008
>
> all of those were life threatning and thus, despite the great efforts that've been done to improve safety.

---

* Lotus with Webber in 2010 (Kovalainen again)

Surely with the rear wing changes, if it suddenly breaks like Kimi in Germany 2004 (or if you do a Buemi, China 2010 and have your front wheels fall off) the impact will be at a higher speed and therefore more risk of injury. :(

Also Red Bull have updated their website so it now has their 2011 sponsors and car numbers :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 06:13PM by alexf1man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy