The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: January 24, 2011 05:40PM
Posted by: chet
There should no failures with the wing, there is nothing complicated about the system. If the system fails then the wing will revert to its default high DF posistion. If the failure occurs on the wing itself then the team needs to seriously look at its manufacturing processes!! These wings are designed to take a huge amount of strain and flex, in fact without the flex they would simply fail! Id be very very supprised to see any sort of rear wing failure that would be dangerous. Maybe failure of the mechanism (again there shouldnt be!) but certainly not a failure of the wing itself.

Kimi's incident was caused by his tyre delamination which then broke the wing i think! or was it just the delamination?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 24, 2011 05:45PM
Posted by: EC83
It was just a wing failure, there was no involvement from tyre delamination before or after. He went flying off because of the obvious sudden loss of downforce.
Maybe you're thinking about Nurburgring 2005, or Hakkinen in 1999.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 05:47PM by EC83.
Date: January 24, 2011 05:46PM
Ahhhh! I thought he meant Nurburgring 05. Wrong year, wrong track!

Even still that was a flat spot that caused the failure wasnt it! wow, 3 wrongs out of 3!

Date: January 24, 2011 06:01PM
Yep :P
Don't see any problem with wings TBH. There was the isolated incident last winter where the Virgin front wing broke(I remember the conversation about it in the testing thread - much win) but that was a freak occurrance.

Date: January 24, 2011 06:26PM
Posted by: Frantic
accidents like Webbers last year made me think tarmac runoffs are a bad idea. yes you can go back to the track without problems but its more dangerous if you have an accident because you cant reduce speed. Kovy´s accident in Barcelona could have been much worse if it was a tarmac runoff

Date: January 24, 2011 06:52PM
I hate tarmac run-offs for the simple reason they dumb down circuits and take the challenge out of the racing. It has meant more drivers have been able to continue in races after going off, but the punishment for missing an apex or outbraking yourself used to be severe, whereas now they have get out of jail free cards.
IMO they should bring back the gravel traps, but make them gently banked so that cars heading towards a barrier dig in. Think that would be the best of both worlds.

Date: January 24, 2011 07:23PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
Frantic écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> accidents like Webbers last year made me think
> tarmac runoffs are a bad idea. yes you can go back
> to the track without problems but its more
> dangerous if you have an accident because you cant
> reduce speed. Kovy´s accident in Barcelona could
> have been much worse if it was a tarmac runoff

I think with tarmac runoffs, Kovy's accident wouldn't be worse, because when a car travel straight into the gravel, it can't slow down as much as if it's on a tarmac area, because the car tend to take off, slightly but enough to raise the front wheels. It was the case with Schumacher's accident in 1999 ( even if it was a rear brake failure ).

In the case of Webber's accident, I don't know what is better, tarmac or gravel traps, because after he landed, he was on the underfloor of the RedBull ( one rear wheel was punctured and the two front suspensions was broken ). Gravel traps I think would have stop him much better ( with the risk of rolling over again ).

But honestly, I agree with you guys, they should return to gravel traps, because most of driving errors now are not punished ( like in Suzuka 2009! )
Date: January 24, 2011 08:25PM
Posted by: gav
I think gravel is generally better if a car is spinning, but not so good if it's travelling head on (unless the brakes fail, where tarmac wouldn't slot a car at all). They both have pluses and minuses.

Schumacher's car in 1999 barely slowed at all on the tarmac - most of the speed was as the car slid along the gravel.

I think generally tarmac is preferred as it's far more predictable - there's less chance of take off and less chance of digging in and flipping. With tarmac you know exactly what you're getting. I still hate the stuff though. They need tarmac with some strips of goo on top that melts in the heat and gets really tacky and sticky, so if they go off, the car survives but the driver has a huge disadvantage and may need to pit for new tyres... but that likely would be ultra slippery in the wet, so would make an accident worse!

It's a tough problem... maybe they should just use Brundles idea of spikes after all. ;)
Date: January 24, 2011 08:32PM
Posted by: Nickv
What's the problem of laying down a strip of grass around the track of several meters and then tarmac run off? That way you don't dumb down tracks all too much, but still you have the predictability of tarmac when you go off harder.
Date: January 24, 2011 08:53PM
Posted by: thestig88
An issue they have with gravel traps is, take Webbers flip for example, that when cars (single seaters) roll over the rollbar can dig into the gravel to the point where the drivers head becomes the rollbar, plus with the mandatory use of hans, it puts the drivers neck in a vulnerable position. Pedro Diniz found this out back at Nurburgring in 1999 fortuantly without injury.
Date: January 24, 2011 09:12PM
Posted by: gav
Nickv
What's the problem of laying down a strip of grass around the track of several meters and then tarmac run off? That way you don't dumb down tracks all too much, but still you have the predictability of tarmac when you go off harder.

The post beneath yours gives an example of why grass strips, as good as they should be, would be unlikely. An upside down car moving from grass to tarmac or visa versa (or with a grass strip, both) could make a bad accident a terrible one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 09:14PM by gav.
Date: January 24, 2011 09:32PM
Posted by: Nickv
Damn physics ;)
Date: January 24, 2011 09:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Well tarmac does give the drivers another chance back out there, but it didn't do a lot to stop Massa in Hungary. Gravel slows the car down but it's race over. Some kind of tradeoff needs to be implemented where it creates the necessary friction and trapping tonstop a car but gives a second chance to some of the drivers...

It's an interesting point though...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 11:08PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: January 24, 2011 10:14PM
Posted by: senninho
thestig88 Wrote:
> An issue they have with gravel traps is, take
> Webbers flip for example, that when cars (single
> seaters) roll over the rollbar can dig into the
> gravel to the point where the drivers head becomes
> the rollbar, plus with the mandatory use of hans,
> it puts the drivers neck in a vulnerable position.
> Pedro Diniz found this out back at Nurburgring in
> 1999 fortuantly without injury.

Not quite - in Diniz's case, the rollbar actually collapsed because the car dug in at a weird angle:

The new trend seems to be towards a border of grass, then a stretch of tarmac, then some gravel. I think this might be the best balance, as it still gives drivers a problem if they dip a wheel off of the track. Of course, the other alternative is the Paul Ricard solution of sticky stripes backed up by super-abrasive stripes.

Date: January 25, 2011 02:35AM
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Well tarmac does give the drivers another chance
> back out there, but it didn't do a lot to stop
> Massa in Hungary. Gravel slows the car down but
> it's race over. Some kind of tradeoff needs to be
> implemented where it creates the necessary
> friction and trapping tonstop a car but gives a
> second chance to some of the drivers...
>
> It's an interesting point though...

Massas hungary accident was different. He apparently had dead weight on both pedals... so really there wasnt attempt to try and stop.

I view tarmac run-offs as much safer but they do have the disaddvantage of not punishing drivers... Gav has pretty much summed up the two as well as can be really! The point about cars skiding/sliding over the surface of the gravel is one of the main factors IMO. The cars often bounced across the gravel with no control whatsoever. At least with tarmac there is that slight element of control. But it does depend on the type of incident.

Flat bottom racecars are pretty pitch sensitive too, so if one of these cars were to get nose up (at speed) caused by skipping over gravel, then Webber Valencia incidents will not be as rare as you think. Generally the track guys will do as much as they can to help prevent such accidents. Bollards like at T1 Barcelona are fine for slow speed corners...

But yeah, as Gav points both are good and bad but IMO tarmac wins the saftey aspect.

edit - Gav, great idea with the sticky stuff. Thing is, F1/FIA will probably try nad go for the most complicated/stupid idea instead of going for an idea that could actually work!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 02:36AM by chet.
Date: January 25, 2011 02:29PM
Posted by: Damas
Am right in remembering that Sauber used to bond the two halves of their tub in a diffent direction to the rest? Can somebody confirm this?

I remember around this time that one of the teams instead of bonding two halves, split front to rear, formed the top and bottom of the chassis and then bonded this. Just thinking this could have been the reason for the rollbar failure on Diniz's Sauber as it may have been a week point in the direction of the force being implyied during the roll?
Date: January 25, 2011 07:22PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Date: January 25, 2011 09:09PM
Posted by: Twigster151
Apparently this years Ferrari will be named the F150 and will prominently feature the Italian flag.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Date: January 25, 2011 09:43PM
Posted by: IWE
alexf1man Wrote:
> Info about the Team Lotus TL11 car.

And a teaser picture:

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 25, 2011 09:51PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
So it's got a slightly fatter nose...

Between the wing struts, is that the undertray or a McLaren-style nose piece?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy