The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: January 25, 2011 11:40PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
oh god. the pictures start. this is my favourite part of the year.

does anyone have a list of when all the new cars come out?
Date: January 26, 2011 02:59AM
Posted by: SAMF1
Ferrari F150 - 28 January - Maranello, Italy
Team Lotus TL11 - 31 January - Online
Renault R31 - 31 January - Valencia, Spain
Sauber C30 - 31 January - Valencia, Spain
Mercedes MGP W02 - 1 February - Valencia, Spain
Red Bull RB7 - 1 February - Valencia, Spain
Toro Rosso STR6 - 1 February - Valencia, Spain
Williams FW33 - 1 February - Valencia, Spain
McLaren MP4-26 - 4 February - Berlin, Germany
Virgin MVR-02 - 7 February - London, England
Force India VJM04 - 10 February - Jerez, Spain
Hispania F111 - 3 March - Sakhir, Bahrain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 03:02AM by SAMF1.
Date: January 26, 2011 03:18AM
Posted by: loren
Damas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am right in remembering that Sauber used to bond
> the two halves of their tub in a diffent direction
> to the rest? Can somebody confirm this?
>
> I remember around this time that one of the teams
> instead of bonding two halves, split front to
> rear, formed the top and bottom of the chassis and
> then bonded this. Just thinking this could have
> been the reason for the rollbar failure on Diniz's
> Sauber as it may have been a week point in the
> direction of the force being implyied during the
> roll?

Split top and bottom is the norm. Pretty sure the roll bars are still a separate part bonded to the top of the chassis, definately was in years past. A similar incident to the Diniz one was a guy called Wouter van Eeuwijk in Germany F3 the same year, ripped the roll bar clean off and left him paralyzed from the neck down. F3 now requires the top of the chassis to be above the drivers helmet, I don't think F1 has the same rule but they increased the side load test for the roll bar.

The gravel traps used to be REALLY effective in '93 and before when they were furrowed, the cars rarely even got to the tire walls. FIA took the furrows out after Warwick flipped at Hockenheim (big overreaction IMO). After that the cars tended to skip over top of the gravel.

The thing about the pavement is it doesn't actually stop the cars: all it does is give the driver more time to stop the car. If he's lost the front wing, brakes, a wheel, etc he's in big trouble.
Date: January 26, 2011 06:04AM
Posted by: Frantic
Twigster151 Wrote:
> Apparently this years Ferrari will be named the
> F150 and will prominently feature the Italian
> flag.

i hope they apply the italian flag in a similar way they used to do in the mid 70s

Date: January 26, 2011 09:11AM
Posted by: alexf1man
I hope the Italian Flag, Scuderia Ferrari logo or Santander is placed where the Marlboro was on the F10 and could have been on the F150, if anything is placed there at all.

Click here for a high resolution version.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 06:24PM by alexf1man.
Date: January 26, 2011 03:55PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Yep, Di Resta and Sutil confirmed. One space on the grid left now...at Hispania.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 26, 2011 04:56PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Lots of pressure on Sutil this year with Hulk on the sidelines.

I would have thought Mercedes 3rd Driver might be a better option for him, but at least he will get some Friday driving, and possibly a mid-season substitution here.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 26, 2011 05:04PM
Posted by: chet
Sutil needs to step up. He's failed to show any real pace other than in slippery conditions imo. He crashes too much and when he is quick it isnt often enough!

Im pretty confident for Di Resta but thats probably bias slipping in... But on Sutil if he doesnt seriously beat Di Resta I would get Hulk in the car. Sutil has had his f1 chance and has failed IMO.

Im thankful Luizzi is gone though... Waste of space.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 26, 2011 08:26PM
Posted by: madotter
So with today's news, just one more seat is unknown - HRT driver 2.

EDIT//Sorry, I just notced I'm repeating what Incident 2k9 said :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 08:28PM by madotter.
Date: January 26, 2011 08:58PM
Posted by: IWE
New Team Lotus steeringwheel:

Old one for comparison if anyone cares:

Pretty much the same..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 26, 2011 11:57PM
Posted by: Shaddix
chet Schreef:
> Sutil needs to step up. He's failed to show any
> real pace other than in slippery conditions imo.
> He crashes too much and when he is quick it isnt
> often enough!
>
> Im pretty confident for Di Resta but thats
> probably bias slipping in... But on Sutil if he
> doesnt seriously beat Di Resta I would get Hulk in
> the car. Sutil has had his f1 chance and has
> failed IMO.
>
> Im thankful Luizzi is gone though... Waste of
> space.

Sutil hasn't failed in my opinion, he has shown real nice things in his career
but the problem is that a team like Force India, isn't a team where you can spend your whole career, it's a nice team to make your debut with, but what more can Sutil expect? There is no room for growth with FI for Sutil. Hulkenberg has still some growth potential, so yes, Sutils seat may go to Hulk in 2012. Now it's only Sutil his job to make sure he'll have a seat in an other good team when that happens.

F1Champs.net - F1 Manager Game (WIP)
Date: January 27, 2011 02:22PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
guys, i want to mention something from an article i read about the adjustable rear wings in 2011.
It says that this, together with KERS, will increase the top speed with appr. 18 km/h.
Now, the article says that the overtaking might become TOO EASY and we will be in a situation where everyone willl be willing to be second in the penultimate lap, because of the speed advantage he will have on the straight at the final lap. In the end the author mentions something which i find pretty good. He says that F1 is not nascar, and that overtraking has ALWAYS been difficult at our favourite sport. That is what makes it also so special, that is why people talk years afterwars about how hakkinen overtook schumacher, or how villeneuve and arnoux were trading positions 3 times at the final lap and other very good examples too.
i personally agree 100% and it is not a problem for me when i have to watch i race with little overtaking action. Monaco 2003 is a typical example but still, one of the best monaco races i ve wathced.
It will be interesting to hear you opinions on that topic
Date: January 27, 2011 02:34PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
oooh yess, and btw if they just leave that stupid rule that "every driver has to change his tyres at least once per race", it will become a lot more interesdting. remember nannini and senna at hockenheim in the early 90's. or senna vs alesi at phoenix. guys with old tyres vs those with new and fresh one. now that will be one to watch
Date: January 27, 2011 05:26PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I would like to direct your attention to Kobayashi on Alonso and Buemi in Valencia last year. Old tyres against fresh. Kobayashi clearly kept his tyres in good nick, held position up at the top end of the pack and then blitzed past on fresh softs. I like the tyre ruling, as it throws up some interesting stuff.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 28, 2011 07:38AM
but thats different, Kobayashi cant fight for wins. today the cars that use that strategy (using harder tires until they put soft tires for the last lap) do not fight for wins. mitadumapaga was talking about the lead cars using different strategies (almost impossible today because current qualy system) and in an epoque drivers had more influence in how the cars wore the tyres (even Alain Prost won 1986 championship because his soft style against Mansells and Piquets agressive style)

I personally think Pirelli will make things a little more exciting because their tyres will last less laps than Bridgestones, so drivers with a soft style like Button or Rosberg will have a certain advantage against the harder style drivers like Lewis or Vettel or Schumacher

Date: January 28, 2011 10:05AM
Posted by: Lucasinio
Anyone watching the launch of the Ferrari F150? Live on ferrari.com

Date: January 28, 2011 10:08AM
Posted by: danm
I am... so where is this prominent italian flag!?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 28, 2011 10:10AM
Me!!!

the car does not convince me enough yet... nice shape but ugly decal in the engine cover

Date: January 28, 2011 10:11AM
dan, is in the rear wing... a little bizarre i think :P

Date: January 28, 2011 10:12AM
Posted by: alonso0506
im watching it now but to be honest i dosent look as i thaught it might look like. For me it looks a bit like the 2009 car and i miss the shark fin lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy