Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 22, 2010 10:44AM
Posted by: chet
Im reading, after the release date there will be no DVD copies in shops for the PC version, and it will ONLY be available via a download. This applies to UK only though.

So if you live in the UK and have not yet pre-ordered. Either, pre-order from a shop now or pre-order from Steam whilst its cheap, because that will soon change if they are the only ones selling it as an online file ;-)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 22, 2010 01:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Got the PC Version. I'm surprisingly...disappointed.

Tracks are @#$%&. REALLY inaccurate. You have to BRAKE for Chapel at Silverstone. That's been easy flat for decades. And Codies are insisting it's right because, you know, F1 drivers worked on the game.

But what's pissing me off is the controls. They provide presets for wheels, but no actual options. Sure you get button assignments, but you don't get ANY sensitivity settings at all. It requires 180deg of lock to do most corners, whilst the wheel on the screen moves about 10 degs. And shifting has a delay. Upshifts and downshifts have a half second delay from you clicking to it actually doing it. It doesn't sound huge, but road cars are faster than that.

First impressions: Not happy. For a game with such a MASSIVE dev team and budget, this isn't right. Basic issues need sorted first.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 01:20PM
Posted by: chet
I heard about the shift issue with wheels. I thought wheel sensitivity was adjustable, just not gamepad?

And about Silverstone. Glad you picked up on :p One of the many videos about the net I noticed it looked a little tight. Hmm.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 22, 2010 01:25PM
I heard about the shift issue with wheels. I thought wheel sensitivity was adjustable, just not gamepad?

On closer inspection it is not a gear change issue specifically. The indicator changes, but the sound lags. This is a sound issue.

I changed the sensitivity in the Logitech profiler and it has helped, but not solved it. I need to do full 360 deg lock on hairpins, and then when I exit the corner, the steering is off center by 20 deg. How the hell can such bugs exist?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 01:34PM
And about Silverstone. Glad you picked up on :p One of the many videos about the net I noticed it looked a little tight. Hmm.

Well I picked up on it as soon as I did an out lap in my VR01 and immediately had a crash. :p

It's like they accidentally modelled the MotoGP layout.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 01:44PM
Posted by: marcl
PC version though, I wonder if the same problems will be on the console versions.
Date: September 22, 2010 01:50PM
Solved the steering issue by forcing high sensitivity and setting the deg of rotation to lower. It doesn't recognise high rotation then, just adjusts the game to use all of it.

PC version though, I wonder if the same problems will be on the console versions.

Of what? Silverstone being wrong? Yes, it is.

Spa is less wrong, and not TOO Bad. But it certainly isn't right. Some corner profiles and elevations are off. The kerb lofts are @#$%& too. You can tell this is a new dev crew - some of these guys clearly have no track modelling experience as it's all quite rough.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 01:51PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
The sound issue may be something to do with Rapture 3D software which gets installed by default on PC, you can turn it off in the games audio settings which might stop the lag.

Date: September 22, 2010 02:17PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
To be fair Chapel Copse was apparently tightened this year. Don't ask me a link to the specific article but it was in the big announcement of the new layout being used.

EDIT: Here is a link to the article, it seems to be pretty certain that they used the old Chapel for F1.

If they modelled it on the MotoGP track that's a pretty amateur fail IMO. As you said, the basics at least need to be correct. Even GP4 might have been better at that it seems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 02:33PM by Ho3n3r.
Date: September 22, 2010 02:33PM
To be fair Chapel Copse was apparently tightened this year

Even taking that into account it's still no where near right. This is a Mot

Pole with a Force India, on the hardest settings. 8 tenths up on a @#$%& lap. :-\ This needs MUCH harder settings.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 02:36PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
DaveEllis: Yes I edited my post afterwards, it's a massive fail.

This has PATCH written all over it. Won't buy it now until the issues have been solved. And if not, play rFactor till F1 2011 is out, or 2012. Or 2020, depends on when they pull their asses together.
Date: September 22, 2010 03:07PM
Posted by: Slash
well, not buying it............ read some feedback from regular gamers and not very positive... apparently driving on races is not that fun either, penalties are given out by no reason....

downloading a cracked version right now...

it set a good standard and it should improve
Date: September 22, 2010 03:23PM
There are some good points, which I'll write up tomorrow. More playing then sleep for work tonight. It's growing on me.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2010 03:38PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Speaking about console version (360):

I started a carreer and my first full week-end and full race:
+
- graphics
- cars
- tracks
- immersion
- Q1,Q2 and Q3
- Full race replay when finished (in championship mode/carreer... but you can select your car only )
- Good physics and real sensations when you disabled the help options.
- IA quit realistic regarding to the real season
- Real challenge in high diffyculty mode ( and I would say quit hard with the help options disabled)
- Team radio
- tire wear
- you can adjust your settings during race ( your team tell gives you advices to adjust them)
- sounds

-
- visible damages on the car not realistic when you crash against a wall at a high speed for example but for middle damages, your team tell you if you can continue or go back to the pit and you feel the damages on the steering (so a bit strange sometimes). realistic sensations when your tire is flat.
- I just experienced a lag at Melbourne (always at the same place) but it disapeared after several lap (I think it is not a bug from the game)
- You have to break early before a corner (but maybe it is just a question of settings)
- mirrors are a bit small and hidden by the infos on screen so you can't see clearly who is behind you (but there is an accessible touch to look behind the car. Very useful)

Well, I am satisfied of this game and it brings a lot of immersion and sensations. Regarding of what has been released on console before, I think this is a new reference. I have got a lot of fun with it and I didn't expect this on console. Sure, the game is not perfect but better than expected.

For PC, I don't know. Maybe it is hard to set the commands of a steering wheels (even if you can personalize the buttons). About downshift and sounds issues, it may depend of your configuration. But dont forget the game has just been released and as for most of the games, there will be some official patchs released soon, I'm sure....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 05:00PM by Excalibur.
Date: September 22, 2010 04:17PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
Failures or not...I definitely envy you guys.
I'm living in Switzerland but pre-ordered in Germany, that means my game will be stuck at the customs for the next 2-3 days, hope to finally get the game at the beginning of next week.
An own short test report will follow then.

Nevertheless I also think (as said without playing it myself for now) it's utterly unfair to call the game totally bad. I have the feeling that many people here have completely wrong demands on this game. It was never nor will be meant to be a hardcore simulation like rFactor or iRacing. Therefore, I think, it's very unfair to compare it with these games. It is a kind of Arcade game with some simulation-influence. And honestly, what I saw in videos so far, it tops any half-simulation racing game of the last years. One wrong corner shouldn't be the reason the make it that bad, especially regarding the fact that the track got partly rebuilt.
The controlling issues are annyoing indeed, but as mentioned from somebody else already, the game was just released. I know only few games which didn't have such issues at the beginning and one can be pretty sure that this'll get fixed soon. Unfortunately this became a kind of fashion in recent years and is nothing new anymore.

So, maybe I'll correct myself after playing the game, but this whole dooming before the release and now after playing it for an hour or so is maybe a bit blindfold.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: September 22, 2010 04:35PM
Posted by: ralv585
Yesterday after a handful of goes, i was a little disappointed and looking over to my GP4 and saying, there's still life in you yet buddy!

But a full on session and play test has changed my mind, it's a great F1 game, somethings you wish were a little different, but these things are minor.

The more i play it the more i like it.

Just did my first qualifying session, and that was intense!

Just missed out in Q3 because Kubica held me up on the final corner.

I will admit that there is too much info on the screen when you're on your final lap of quali, when the session has finished, your engineer speaks in your ear, you've got messages saying complete your lap. it's a bit of a mess, you'll understand what i mean when you do it.

Once you complete your lap, you aren't allowed to do an in lap, this is only when the session is over, you can pit normally when there is still time left.

The ai cars are a little errati, but not too ad, and there are some questionable racing lines.

But what hurt this game most is the really poor mirrors, to get a good feel for where the other cars are, you really have to press the rear view button.

Sound is good, i think i'm gonna change it so i can hear my car more over anything else as i can get a bit distracting.

But overall, the handling is great, feels good to put in a good lap time, and the engineer isn't as annoying as you'd expect, i think i'll keep him on.

Make sure you turn off most of the hud, it's too cluttered by default.

As said the damage is a little poor, takes quite an effort to break your car, but if you drive how you are supposed to drive, it should be an issue, you're not supposed to hit anything anyway.

Is it better than GP4?

Too early to tell, but it's got a lot of promise, and many cool things an F1 fan will love.

Online should be so much fun though!

Who else has it on PS3?

Wanna do a race tonight :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 04:39PM by ralv585.
Date: September 22, 2010 04:51PM
Posted by: Enjoi
Hey mate, I'll be getting it on PS3 when its in stores. Not really too bothered by the reviews - I'm not really a hardcore sim racer so I probably wont notice most of the things wrong with the tracks etc. I don't like the idea of being too easy even on hard mode though! Hopefully I wont be that fast on it :P

Ric Scott
Date: September 22, 2010 05:03PM
Posted by: LS.
my mates Tesco store arent getting it in til monday :( my local Gamestation have the XBOX version in at the minute, but not the PS3 version.

Gonna go to ASDA in the morning and demand my copy a day early as they advertise it in this months F1 Racing magazine, so hopefully will get my mitts on it then, if not then a mad rush on Friday morning to aquire it coz im going to Munich for Oktoberfest in the afternoon! So not really gonna get chance to play anyway!

Popped out and got the last Logitech Driving Force GT wheel from my local Argos shop this morning, so im primed and ready!

Been reading some of the reviews from people that have recieved it early due to pre ordering and a lot of the negative comments are coming from Iracing players on 2 particular forums that ive read.

I think theyre missing the point when they compare it to iRacing as F1 2010 was never pitched as a simulation from the outset, so some are expecting too much.

If its good like GT5 prologue on the PS3 then thats gonna be good enough for me, slightly perturbed about the little bugs that seem to be rising to the surface the past few hours.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 05:04PM by LS..
Date: September 22, 2010 05:07PM
Posted by: Excalibur
@ralv585: I agree with what you said and the minors default. But like you, the more I play, the more I have fun with it.

I don't think we can compare with GP4 because we know GP4 for years with the possibility to update and to tweak the game, with the great tools we have, that makes it and still remains a great F1 simulation game. But you are right, too early to tell... and who knows?...:-)

@LS. I think that you have to make your own opinion about this game. Spend some hours on it to explore the game, to see many different situations on tracks, to appreciate the handling etc...A lot of people comment a game after several minutes in game. It need time to form an opinion with fairely objective elements and also with what you expect from it.
Some are too focused on what they know from existing simulations and what the perfect simulation should be for them. The only one question you will have to answer is. Do you have fun with it? ;-)

See ralv585: After his first impressions, he changed his mind about some aspects of the game and now he like it more and more, as I do, too.
But everyone has also the right to not like it ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 05:21PM by Excalibur.
Date: September 22, 2010 05:28PM
Posted by: LS.
yeah i know all that, just make me laugh when you read " its rubbish, wait for the Williams car for iRacing" like i read earlier, its like they were expecting something on the level of Mclarens simulator at the Technical HQ or something.

Ive liked the look of it since ive been following all the videos posted, im not bothered if its not up to the standards of R Factor as its never been pitched as that, some folks have gotten abit carried away i think, and then are disappointed with it.

I'll wait for some more indepth reviews from people here i know are openminded and sensible, not like the ones on the other forums ive been following for the past 24 hours

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy