Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 24, 2010 10:08PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I really like it. Got mine today (cheers Amazon) and I've played it for about 3-4 hours already. I need to get used to gearshifts as the engine tends to get hot in my hands.

I assume that the cars were modeled quite early on and never changed (hence the outboard mirrors) but some of the liveries were more up to date.

If anyones ever up for a race, then I'm here. My gamertag is TheIncredibleBL (for those of you who can't be arsed to look at older posts or the thread).

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 24, 2010 10:56PM
Posted by: marcl
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok thanks. anyone know where i can buy a ps3 slim
> without a hard drive in it in the uk as I have a
> 120gb hard drive already.

Ebay
Date: September 24, 2010 11:11PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I got it for ps3 today. I dont really like it that much tbh. Ok its fun driving the new tracks etc but it doesnt feel how I expected. I dont know if its because im used to GP4 as the only f1 game I play.

Few bugs. I like the fact that the faster cars (e.g redbull) have better handling than the new teams at the back. Nice sense of realism with that one.

Online play..ffs everyone just crashing into each other.

Date: September 24, 2010 11:25PM
Posted by: Monza972
LS. Wrote:
> Got it, at Monaco in the pits, mechanics working
> away, music in the garage on the radio is Pendulem
> :)

It's Watercolour by Pendulum. :)

ralv585 Wrote:
> Just gonna wait and see if a patch comes out to
> iron out the problems most of us have been faced
> with.

Steve Hood's already said that they won't be creating any patches or DLCs for the end of season thingys or glitches. So in a way this game is just like Bernie. Get the stuff out, complete or incomplete just as long they get the money and don't give a toss about the fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 11:29PM by Monza972.
Date: September 24, 2010 11:28PM
(delete - posted on the above post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 11:28PM by Monza972.
Date: September 24, 2010 11:34PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
wrong - t4rg4 already said on twiter they are looking into a patch. He said 'we are not monsters' in the same post.
Date: September 24, 2010 11:54PM
Ho3n3r Wrote:
> wrong - t4rg4 already said on twiter they are
> looking into a patch. He said 'we are not
> monsters' in the same post.

Did he now? Hm, I don't follow him but when I asked about DLCs before he was pretty adamant that there wasn't going to be a DLC
Date: September 25, 2010 12:06AM
Posted by: gav
It's far, far too easy.

I've done maybe a dozen to 15 laps and I got pole at Singapore by 2 seconds. :\

Edit: I should stress that's on the hardest settings and with no aids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 12:06AM by gav.
Date: September 25, 2010 12:08AM
Posted by: harjinator
surely a 'fix patch' isn't really DLC - DLC to me is stuff which adds something new to the game, like new shapes, liveries etc

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 25, 2010 12:44AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
gav Wrote:
> It's far, far too easy.
>
> I've done maybe a dozen to 15 laps and I got pole
> at Singapore by 2 seconds. :\
>
> Edit: I should stress that's on the hardest
> settings and with no aids.

I want some of what you guys are smoking... I can't get anywhere near the AI on Legend. I'm not amazing but I think a gulf of beating rest of field by 2 secs and struggling to keep up with Senna in HRT is a bit iffy. 360 btw.
Date: September 25, 2010 12:50AM
Posted by: Slash
from what i read AI sucks in qualy but flies in races

there's a thread on CM forum with a list of the most common bugs.......... embarrasing!!
Date: September 25, 2010 01:04AM
Posted by: bdtj1815
Couple of questions: My gaming computer is not connected to the internet, I have no interest in on-line racing. Will this game work without an internet connection? If it does work without an internet connection do you still have to install Steam? If I use digital download on my desktop computer which is connected to the internet, indeed typing this on it, can I then install it on the gaming computer? We nearly 50 year old's just want a simple life!!
Date: September 25, 2010 01:04AM
Posted by: Fincent
This game is definitely a grower. I wanted to like it so bad after all the reviews and videos but if left me feeling a bit flat. After a few hours though I've settled down with it a bit and I'm liking it more and more. I've done a few time trials at various circuits and I'm also two races into my 7 year career with Hispania (no driver assists and hardest AI settings).

Things I like:
- Overall presentation of the game is superb. I really do feel immersed thanks to the audio, graphics and feel of the game. Loving the nice little touches around the paddock area with characters walking round. This is the first F1 game for a while that isn't just about cars thanks to the media and all the little animations etc.
- Dynamic track is top notch, especially on longer races. Just what us race fans have been wanting for years. The rubbering in is actually noticeable and the quality of the weather system goes without saying.
- AI is pretty good to race against, a far sight better than anything else out there at the moment. They drive like you would expect them to, not making stupid moves like ramming straight into the back of you under every braking zone. Had some awesome battles so far, moving to the inside and seeing them block then cutting back round the outside only to get blocked and pushed wide etc.
- Visual effects like dust, sun glare and rain drops/spray are excellent as well as just the entire graphics system in general.
- Once you get used to it, the driving model is actually very good. It's quite easy to get a rhythm going and be consistent and you can find the limit nicely, scraping tenths here and there and building up your laptime. When you finally nail an awesome lap it feels very rewarding and, strangely, natural.
- I'm probably going to get shot for this but I hate the rFactor car set up menu. I don't know what half of the things do, and most of the time I don't really feel much of a difference. I just want to drive, tweak, then drive some more, without having to read through loads of pdfs and online manuals about car mechanics and setup techniques. In F1 2010 the setup is simplified, with really helpful descriptions, and easy to understand numbers.

Things I don't like:
- Audio for gearshifts seems a little bit weird. Can't quite explain why but it doesn't feel as immediate as other racing games.
- Really difficult to lock the brakes. I've got my pedal flat down and having no problems. ABS is off. Strangely though, it seems as if it takes longer to brake for corners than it does in real life.
- Silly amounts of traction. You can floor the throttle out of corners and from a standing start, and yes you may hear the engine revving like a bast*rd, but you still go forwards without a twitch on the wheel or any oversteer whatsoever. Sort of takes the skill out of using the throttle well.
- Spin physics seem a little weird. You can drive over grass quite easy but as soon as you hit gravel the car feels as if it's being spun round violently for no reason and meets massive resistance.
- Very sensitive corner cutting detection, sometimes just running wide will trigger it and stop the timer for the lap you're on, maybe even a penalty. Worst annoyance is in time trial, not only is your current lap scrapped but the next one too.
- The pitlane seems very clumsy. You can't steer (and the automated steering is not smooth at all) but you have to brake/accelerate as needed which sort of ruins the immersion.
- Wing/rev changing from in the car is annoying because the menu disappears if you don't press anything for two seconds (usually not enough time to look at the options available, or see what is selected). It should stay on screen until you've made your choice of what you want to do, because the menu positions reset every time it disappears. Very annoying, and it means I dont bother moving my front wing or changing revs.
- Lack of telemetry. I want to know peoples sector times over all their laps so I can see where I'm going wrong. Would be nice to have an engineer's style debrief after the race as well, see all my laptimes and places I made mistakes a lot etc, strategy breakdown of when everyone pitted.
- No warm-up lap for the race, no safety car, no red flags and no car failures.
- No TrackIR support. I know not many people actually have this piece of kit, but previous Codemasters games have TrackIR support so it seems a bit strange it's not in this release.

Things I've yet to experience but have read about:
- Silverstone incorrect corner profiling
- Damage model (not had that many big crashes, and when I have, the replay system hasn't caught it because I waited too long).
- Pitstop bug.

Overall opinion? I think that once you accept the fact that this isn't a hardcore dedicated sim racer, and once you stop taking everything so damn seriously, you'll really enjoy it. It's not perfect by any means and it's not perfectly realistic either but it's fun to drive and does a great job of immersing you in F1.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 01:20PM by Fincent.
Date: September 25, 2010 01:10AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
This game is so riddled with bugs it is unbelievable :(
The worst thing about the game ? How about the AI cars' quali times not matching their actual ones?
They just get created from thin air!
Now wonder you can't watch the ai cars

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 01:12AM by salvasirignano.
Date: September 25, 2010 01:35AM
Posted by: Thunderknight
Decent game in overall, not much things to say, almost everything was mentioned on older posts...

Now, I was extracting textures from 3dsimed, and i got realy disapointed. Car tex resolution on 2048 (single tex), helmet one 512 (horrible mapping), driver suits weren´t much worked excepting gloves (those are really cool). Tracks tex are almost all 512 or 256.

Could be better, huh?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GP4 Projects: - Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen and Ricciardo F1 2012 Helmets Released -
My GP4 Workthread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 01:36AM by Thunderknight.
Date: September 25, 2010 01:43AM
Posted by: IWE
Also seen helmet texture and lol I couldn't imagine much more worse mapping on it. They really have tried everything possible to make people to stay away from modifying this game? :D

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: September 25, 2010 01:52AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i have the game on PC. and everytime i go to a practise session during my carrer modeor time trial the following 2 things happens :

1) i am in the pit and the driver moves his hands and i can see them from the IN COCKPIT camera. BUT once i tell my engineer i am going out and the car leaves the garage there are no more hands to see on the steering wheel. does anyone know if this is because all my graphic settings are on LOWEST or because of something else.
IT IS REALLLY REALLY FRUSTRATING so please help me if you can.

2) while i drive i can look at my mirrors but they have no reflections and i cant see what happens behind me. the mirrors are just grey and you dont see anything in them.
AGAIN --> is it because of the lower graphic settings ??

3) what is "OSD" ?? thank you :)
Date: September 25, 2010 01:56AM
Posted by: Traction
What keyboard controls are people using on the PC version?

I started with the defaults but now I'm trying the GP4 style keys.

I really wish you could stop the brake key also do reverse.
It's really counter intuitive when you are reversing and you have to press the accelerate key to brake.
You should have to shift down a gear in order to reverse and up a gear to get out of reverse
Date: September 25, 2010 02:20AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> i have the game on PC. and everytime i go to a
> practise session during my carrer modeor time
> trial the following 2 things happens :
>
> 1) i am in the pit and the driver moves his hands
> and i can see them from the IN COCKPIT camera.
> BUT once i tell my engineer i am going out and the
> car leaves the garage there are no more hands to
> see on the steering wheel. does anyone know if
> this is because all my graphic settings are on
> LOWEST or because of something else.
> IT IS REALLLY REALLY FRUSTRATING so please help me
> if you can.
>
> 2) while i drive i can look at my mirrors but
> they have no reflections and i cant see what
> happens behind me. the mirrors are just grey and
> you dont see anything in them.
> AGAIN --> is it because of the lower graphic
> settings ??
>
> 3) what is "OSD" ?? thank you :)

Not sure about 1 and 2, but OSD means 'on screen display' :)
Date: September 25, 2010 03:01AM
Posted by: Vandusk
mitadumapaga schrieb:
> i have the game on PC. and everytime i go to a
> practise session during my carrer modeor time
> trial the following 2 things happens :
>
> 1) i am in the pit and the driver moves his hands
> and i can see them from the IN COCKPIT camera.
> BUT once i tell my engineer i am going out and the
> car leaves the garage there are no more hands to
> see on the steering wheel. does anyone know if
> this is because all my graphic settings are on
> LOWEST or because of something else.

> IT IS REALLLY REALLY FRUSTRATING so please help me
> if you can.
>
> 2) while i drive i can look at my mirrors but
> they have no reflections and i cant see what
> happens behind me. the mirrors are just grey and
> you dont see anything in them.
> AGAIN --> is it because of the lower graphic
> settings ??

>
> 3) what is "OSD" ?? thank you :)

1) yes.

2) again, yes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy