Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: December 01, 2005 07:28PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
As for Preorders, theres alot of people who pre-ordered from Argos who are confident of getting theres tomorrow. I'll tell you right now, 99% of them wont be. Consoles were recalled just this week and new ones dispatched, and even the new ones arent free of all the documented problems

well mine has a tracking number with DHL, so unless its an empty box.. :)

yeah chet the prices of them are just stupid atm, and its gonna get worse if microsoft don't sort it out, prices should stabilize around Jan/Feb time when the christmas rush is over and plenty of units are shipped over :)

Its the PS2 mad rush all over again!

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: December 01, 2005 07:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
well mine has a tracking number with DHL, so unless its an empty box..

Put it this way, most agros stores have 1/10 of the stock there meant to have of them because of Microsofts screw ups. Your lucky if you get one :P Other stores have the same problem

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 01, 2005 08:10PM
whey! bring on ebay ;)

Date: December 01, 2005 11:04PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I'm sorry, but there's NO argument for PC gaming being more cost effective than console gaming.

Right off the bat, to get 90% of the xbox360's GFX power, you'll need a 7800GTX or X1800XT graphicas card. Google the prices. Under 290? Maybe. But then you'll need a new CPU (imo, we're talking a64 FX or x2 teritory to be similar in GAMING performance) - another 300 or so.

The 330 quid is inflated due t demand, leave it a couple months for supply chains to sort themselves out, pre orders to clear and manufacturing proccesses to mature, and the prices will be normal, maybe lower.

Matt, I don't know what type of audio output ports the xbox uses - optical? If you find that out, I've always been impressed with Creative's speakers, very good for the money. Logitech are better mind, but pricier too.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2005 12:52AM
Right off the bat, to get 90% of the xbox360's GFX power, you'll need a 7800GTX or X1800XT graphicas card.

I hate that term. Graphics "power". Doesnt mean @#$%& really. The PS2 had alot more "power" than most games used. But the graphics still look bollocks on 90% of games. Only the GT series really stood out. The gMotor2 engine is a match for any console engine ever made, and is alot more adaptable so it looks great even on older PCs. Then you take into account the game costs and game quality etc etc etc.

If you really want to get into yet another console vs PC argument we can but it'll be spouting the same stuff again and tbh, i really cant be arsed because it'll bring out the usuall spec lists for a console, which never ever mean anything and never ever have.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 02, 2005 02:22AM
Matt, I don't know what type of audio output ports the xbox uses - optical? If you find that out, I've always been impressed with Creative's speakers, very good for the money. Logitech are better mind, but pricier too.

It probably will use Optical for surround and standard Phonos, maybe spdif but I doubt it...

Date: December 02, 2005 05:45AM
Posted by: Covfan
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> matthewp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Im not gonna pay £500-700 to get an xbox..
> when i
> > get my PC to look better for half the price.
> >
> >
> > WTF are you on about? its £290 for an xbox
> 360,
> > i'd like to see you find a PC of similar
> power for
> > that price. For the hardware you get, its
> amazing
> > value especially when you consider you'll be
> using
> > it for the latest games in 4 years (and the
> > graphics will be getting better all the
> time,
> > compare halo to halo 2)
> > I love PC gaming, more so than consoles but
> the
> > amount of money you have to spend to
> continue
> > playing the latest games is rediculous.
> >
> >
> >
>
> went into game today and they sed the cheapest was
> £330 with just the xbox with apparently no
> hard-drive and 1 controler :\
>
> i didnt think it was rite.. but.. i guess they no
> more than me.
>

That'll be some of the spare Core machines that some shops have got, these are machines that aren't pre-ordered and that shops are selling on a first come first served basis, therefore they're pushing the price up a lot.
Date: December 02, 2005 08:54AM
What?! Dave Ellis shying away from an argument? Not wanting to bring up the same old arguments?! Do my eyes deceive me :o

Thing is (and you might not know this) the 360 GFX is essentially ATI's next generation PC part, with some added tweaks. There isn't anything in the pc market that can match it. That's fact, not bullshit mate.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2005 03:00PM
yayayayayyayayayayaya!

Its here wooooo, time to go play :D

Date: December 02, 2005 03:02PM
Posted by: six degrees
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> yayayayayyayayayayaya!
>
> Its here wooooo, time to go play :D
>
>
>
>

then go sell it, right? tidy profit? :P
Date: December 02, 2005 03:05PM
yep, next week I'll sell it just in time for christmas post :D

Date: December 02, 2005 03:07PM
you got COD2?

Wooo! :D

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2005 03:33PM
no didn't get COD2 for this, only got it on the pc :)

only got PGR3 atm, waiting for my other stuff too arrive from gameplay, dunno when that'll come :-o

But its seeming damn good atm :D

Date: December 02, 2005 03:48PM
Thing is (and you might not know this) the 360 GFX is essentially ATI's next generation PC part, with some added tweaks. There isn't anything in the pc market that can match it. That's fact, not bullshit mate.

Yes so after all your bitching about how Doom3 was a graphics engine and not a game, you measure consoles only by there grapics capeability when you yourself have said that there is far far more to a game than a pretty engine.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 02, 2005 04:19PM
PGR3 rules, but I think Ellis can hear my 360 from his house, it sounds like a small jet taking off.
Date: December 02, 2005 04:22PM
As i told mark we had one returned today already, but im not sure there was actually anything wrong with it. Customer simply said "it doesnt work". hmm

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 02, 2005 04:32PM
Dave, I'm not "only measuring cojnjsoles by their graphics capability" as you put it. My point stemmed from the original argument that 290 quid would buy you a comparable pc upgrade. GFX cards are expensive. That's why I mentioned the gfx power, to deonstrate how much you'ds need to spend on just 1 compnent to get near just one aspect of these consoles.

I never said graphics are all that matter, since as you rightly remember, I hated D3 cos it was just that.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2005 04:37PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> As i told mark we had one returned today already,
> but im not sure there was actually anything wrong
> with it. Customer simply said "it doesnt work".
> hmm
>
>

He probably thought "the Brick" was the console
Date: December 02, 2005 04:50PM
My point stemmed from the original argument that 290 quid would buy you a comparable pc upgrade.

You measured the power output not actually comparing how the games look. Power means nothing. Its a bunch of numbers. When its actually turned into a product that we can look at, then it cant be compared. Perfect example is GT series. Its being run on a system less powerfull than the others, but yet looks as good as you can possibly imagine. As i said, gMotor2 curently looks just as good as any console.

Dont fire numbers in, there useless. Console figures have always been useless.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 02, 2005 05:01PM
I appreciate that *insert game engine* looks good, really good I'm sure. Even on older PCs. I don't deny that. You can deny numbers all you like, but what you need to appreciate is that these products are designed with a 5 year life cycle. Rifght now a PC may look better, but in 1 year the consoles are going to look so much better. Look at early PS2 titles, awful games.

Aside from how games look, its about having a garanteed 60fps, full screen AA and AF (maxed out) ALL the time. Not having to tweak or download new drivers, chipset updates, all the usual caveats of PC gaming. Besides, I'd wager that in 1 year, you WILL see the difference, between your PC, and the consoles.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy