Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: March 25, 2007 01:09PM
Posted by: MarcA
Well, I made the stupid decision to get a PSP for christmas, and i never play on it. My birthday is coming up in May, and looking at the prices of used PSPs on ebay, i think i would have enough for a core 360 if i put it with my birthday money.

Date: March 25, 2007 02:01PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I used to have a PSP, never played it either so I sold it on ebay for £200 and bought a DS for £90, had money left over too :)

But yeah I'd recommend a Xbox 360, wouldn't recommend mine as its a noisy git ;) But the newer ones have been quietened down alot now... Waiting till May is a very good idea however, With the new Black Xbox 360 Elite been released soon, they'll most likley get rid of the Core Console and the Premium Console will go down to the Core's price. Unless you want a 120GB hard drive and a HDMI port theres not much need to go for the Elite 360 :) Only reason I'm getting it is becuase my 360 was a release date one so its a noisy git, wanna have a quieter xbox with HDMI.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 02:06PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 25, 2007 02:22PM
That sounds good, I like the idea of the premium but it's too much currently.

Date: March 25, 2007 04:46PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
premium is the only way to go tbh mate.

all the extra's you get are well worth it.

the HDD alone is the cost difference of the core -> premium.

Date: March 25, 2007 04:51PM
Posted by: matthewp
my mate walked into a hmv in london and picked up a ps3 2 hours after launch no problem, you couldnt get hold of a 360 for weeks after for retail price and even longer if you wanted to walk into a shop and pick one up. Same with the Wii, wonder if sony will get the message that people just arent gonna pay that much for something that is not clearly superior to a console thats been out for 16 months.

Date: March 25, 2007 04:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
PS3 is a complete joke and utter failure on almost every level. The 360 and the Wii together have the console market completly sewn up, and the PS3 will be lucky to get some Sony fanboys to buy it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 04:55PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 25, 2007 05:12PM
The PS3 itself is a very good unit, Theres nothing wrong with it! Fact is the PS3 is the same as the 360 quality wise, maybe a tad better but really nothing noticeable when your playing, only in screenshots. The problem lies with Sony themselfs, they get stung badly with the UMD saga, but they don't learn from it and use Blu-Ray in the console, which results in a stupidly high price, along with a experimental Core processor which took way too much money to develop when they could have just as easily say gone to Intel and got a tried and tested processor and saved alot of money.

So the PS3 itself is fun to play and a great unit, problem is theres been plenty of great units in the past which are let down by the stupidly high price, it just isn't worth the extra £149 you have to pay compared to a Xbox 360. Hence why I'm still looking round eBay for a cheap PS3 (Loads at the moment at £310!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 05:20PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 25, 2007 05:38PM
Thats not what I've been reading so far. The processor is running a bit too hot, the graphics arent as good as the 360 is getting, the controller buttons feel soft like a "cake" (lol!), the motion sensing just doesnt work anywhere near as good as the Wii and the lack of rumble makes it feel dead.

The online stuff isnt anywhere near as good as the Wii/360, the firmware wont be updated for Europe, leaving a partially working, partially broken backwards compatibility (which has major AA problems even after the latest firmware update), and if your not online, and in the US, your stuck with firmware which makes PS2 games look like PSX games.

Add to that its probably the ugliest of the 3, its the largest of the 3, and sounds like 747 taxiing at Heathrow, I'd say theres very little good about the PS3 when you look at it on its own. Then compare that to the 2 consoles that are already out there, its easily last of all 3.

Oh, and it costs more than a Wii and 360 combined...unless you get it off of ebay where they are going for half price at the moment.

It isnt the best at anything in any of the areas that it needs to be. And in some places, it last of the 3 by quite a long way.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 05:39PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 25, 2007 06:12PM
You've made up my mind for me. 360.

Date: March 25, 2007 06:33PM
Problem with reviews these days are that most of them are very biased :( So I usually trust my own eyes when dealing with things like this. No idea how hot the processor runs, but I do remember crashing with the earlier units, I presume seen as they've delayed it, it'll be fixed now.... But this is Sony we are talking about here ;) I've never liked the PS2 controller, gave me thumb cramp :P I had a go on Motorstorm whilst I was waiting for all the n00bs buying a PS3 at full price, motin sensor seemed okay, but like you say no where near as good as the Wii, not surprised as that was put in at the very last minute copying off Wii :-o

Online stuff was awful on the PS2, no idea what the PS3 was like as I couldn't get to that, but I don't hope for much as its free. Backward compatibility, not many uses in on the 360 and not many will probably use it on the PS3, only problem with that was Sony's own stubborness saying 100% backward compatibility lar de dar.

Now this is where we differ Dave ;) from what I've heard at alot of places the PS3 is a hell of alot quieter than the 360, I mean really quiet, if you look inside the PS3 (Probably find some shots in google somewhere) the CPU fan is damn huge! no idea how loud the Blu-Ray drive itself is, but thats what I've been hearing from all reviews, including the 360 biased ones :-o

I always though this review here - [www.neowin.net] was a good review, made by a member at Neowin but its a nice unbiased review which favours the 360 :)

Date: March 26, 2007 02:00AM
Damn! Very nearly got a PS3 + 4 Games + Extra Controller + HDMI cable for £275, but some little git outbidded me with 4 seconds to go >_<

Date: March 26, 2007 11:43AM
Posted by: Pluis
DaveEllis schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats not what I've been reading so far. The
> processor is running a bit too hot, the graphics
> arent as good as the 360 is getting, the
> controller buttons feel soft like a "cake" (lol!),
> the motion sensing just doesnt work anywhere near
> as good as the Wii and the lack of rumble makes it
> feel dead.
>
> The online stuff isnt anywhere near as good as the
> Wii/360, the firmware wont be updated for Europe,
> leaving a partially working, partially broken
> backwards compatibility (which has major AA
> problems even after the latest firmware update),
> and if your not online, and in the US, your stuck
> with firmware which makes PS2 games look like PSX
> games.
>
> Add to that its probably the ugliest of the 3, its
> the largest of the 3, and sounds like 747 taxiing
> at Heathrow, I'd say theres very little good about
> the PS3 when you look at it on its own. Then
> compare that to the 2 consoles that are already
> out there, its easily last of all 3.
>
> Oh, and it costs more than a Wii and 360
> combined...unless you get it off of ebay where
> they are going for half price at the moment.
>
> It isnt the best at anything in any of the areas
> that it needs to be. And in some places, it last
> of the 3 by quite a long way.

Don't forget the framerate is terrible from the ps3
Date: March 26, 2007 11:55AM
it is? :\ I thought it was the same as the 360, bog standard 60FPS

Date: March 26, 2007 04:09PM
I'm saying it wrong, the PS3 has framerate problems, like lag so you get choppy gameplay
Date: March 26, 2007 04:49PM
Several game reviews said that PS3 games had coppy frame rates and controller lag in high load situations.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 26, 2007 05:09PM
Thats a good start for supposidly the most powerful of the 3 then ;)

Date: March 26, 2007 10:48PM
Still, the online thingy is pretty good, although it's a little bit like the 360, but hey if it works why wouldn't you copy it, plus you can play with more players online then the 360

I would buy one but the price is a pain in the ass, also the choppy graphics and the launch titles aren't that special
Date: March 27, 2007 11:49AM
Posted by: chet
That F1game just gets worse and worse =/

anyway, I am looking to buy my first ps2 game in probably moer than a year.. 'God of War 2' looks really good.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 27, 2007 03:37PM
Posted by: marcl
Well the new 360 will be out soon, or should i say the compete version before they rushed it out just to beat the sony.

The new one will be black and have the hd drive built in.

Reviews i have read and game play i have seen the ps3 is better
Date: March 27, 2007 06:16PM
Actually it won't have the HD Drive built in, Microsoft have said repeatidly they arn't having any games out on HD-DVD, so theres no need for one, they are buying their time waiting to see if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray are going to win. Only differences the Elite will be is it'll be black, have a 120GB hard drive and have a HDMI port.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy