Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: March 27, 2007 10:38PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
HDMI port you say.

That would go nicely on my telly.

Date: March 27, 2007 11:16PM
Posted by: madotteя
So far all this PS3 stuff has been so wrong! I have both 360 and PS3 and I have to say that PS3 leaves it standing. By no means am I a sony fanboy, tbh I hate Sony. The games are so much better looking in my opinion and whoever said the framerate is choppy has no idea what they are on about, its as smooth as 360 if not better. From what I have seen the worst of the games (when I say worst, I mean lower graphics) are as good as 360, and give it 14months like the 360 has had and games will be ever better. Comparing it now is silly, look at the first PS2 games compared to the latest ones. I have a new 42" 1024 x 1080 plasma and it looks so much better than 360 does. On the price side of it there's two things you need to look at: 1)Blu Ray players are £1299 (for a decent one) and 2) Take a 360, add on the wireless adapter (which ps3 has built in) and a HD DVD drive and you have spent £474.97. Fair enough if you don't want wireless or the HD DVD drive but if you do (which I do, I have bt wireless home hub and who doesnt want high def dvds/br if you dont have a HDMI tv!?) but in reality, for what you get it's actually cheaper (and much better tbh)
Date: March 27, 2007 11:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
and whoever said the framerate is choppy has no idea what they are on about,

Yeah games reviewers and players dont know @#$%&, sorry. I'll go tell them theya re all uninformed fools. Good to see you ignored that it was posted on selected titles, not even game ever, and since you dont own every PS3 game, i somehow doubt you can actually back up your comment.

Blu Ray players are £1299

Bollllllllocks. Amazong has one for the equivelent of £300 which is good quality. You work for game dont you? Game were saying that for PS3 graphics you need a £2000 PC, and for Blu Ray you need a £1200 Blu-Ray Player. No surprise you've told the same lies as them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 27, 2007 11:41PM
And just for backup

Blu-Ray Player that isnt £1200

[www.amazon.com]

Lair on PS3 almost unplayable

[kotaku.com]

Read several blogs by Sony fanboys who complained thw graphics were beaten by PGR and Gears Of War. I'd search for them, but im a lazy bastard.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 11:42PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 27, 2007 11:44PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and whoever said the framerate is choppy has no
> idea what they are on about,
>
> Yeah games reviewers and players dont know @#$%&,
> sorry. I'll go tell them theya re all uninformed
> fools. Good to see you ignored that it was posted
> on selected titles, not even game ever, and since
> you dont own every PS3 game, i somehow doubt you
> can actually back up your comment.
>
> Blu Ray players are £1299
>
> Bollllllllocks. Amazong has one for the equivelent
> of £300 which is good quality. You work for game
> dont you? Game were saying that for PS3 graphics
> you need a £2000 PC, and for Blu Ray you need a
> £1200 Blu-Ray Player. No surprise you've told the
> same lies as them.

OK, fair enough on the BR player! But tbh I can't say you're (or whever these reviewers are) correct on the games side, working at Game as you correctly said gave me plenty of time time to play the games, we had them in stock a while before release. Sure I didnt play EVERY game but I played 90% of them and I found no frame rate issues or quality problems...
Date: March 27, 2007 11:51PM
Really? No issues? So Konami had so little issues that they suspended development for the PS3 games for 6 months because there was no issues? Theres a tonne of performance issues that shouldnt be there that you have to work around to have a useable game. Its once again stupidly difficult to produce games for, even worse so than the PS2 was.

The developer kit, in the words of a PSX/PS2/Xbox developer is "useless".

Konami still hasnt resumed work on all games they suspended development for for the PS3.

Edit: Gradius, a Konami game is apparently avalible in the PS3 store. Not that most of the world can get that anyway, since Sony didnt bother telling most of Europe that they cant actually acess the store, and then refused to give a reason why stating "there is too many reasons".

Sony PR is a fantastic example on how not to do it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 11:55PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 28, 2007 12:25AM
Look mate, let's not make such a big deal of this. You act like you're working for micro$oft! I can't really say that PS3 has no issues, all I can say is that the games I played (not the full way through obviously) didn't appear to have any issues that jumped out at me. At the end of the day, the games I own are fine and as of yet I have had no problems which is more than I can say for 360 games. Let's just leave it at that.

EDIT//What is up with the store? I have downloaded demos, videos and bought a game off it with no problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 12:27AM by madotteя.
Date: March 28, 2007 12:27AM
Posted by: keiran
DaveEllis Wrote:
> And just for backup
>
> Blu-Ray Player that isnt £1200
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> uraycom0b-20

Why have you linked to Amazon US? A pound is worth $1.9 so of course the price is going to be cheaper. Just like buying your PS3 from the USA would also bring it down in cost until you get stung by Customs.

On Amazon UK that Blu-ray player is £537.99, not the £300 you quoted so the PS3 is still cheaper and does more.

My brother has a 360 and having played that and played a PS3 I personally don't notice much difference quality wise. Everything worked fine with me on the PS3, to me it seems more a personal preference on which to pick. Most games seem to be multi-platform, if I was to buy a console (which is very unlikely) I'd probably go for the PS3 solely because of Metal Gear and its blu-ray DVD player.

Price wise it doesn't seem bad to me, my brother had to spend £60 for a wireless adapter for his 360! Day light robbery. So technically his actual 360 has cost him about £340 so far, no doubt he'll end up buying the HD DVD drive.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: March 28, 2007 12:28AM
Why have you linked to Amazon US? A pound is worth $1.9 so of course the price is going to be cheaper. Just like buying your PS3 from the USA would also bring it down in cost until you get stung by Customs.

On Amazon UK that Blu-ray player is £537.99, not the £300 you quoted so the PS3 is still cheaper and does more.

Price wise it doesn't seem bad to me, my brother had to spend £60 for a wireless adapter for his 360! Day light robbery. So technically his actual 360 has cost him about £340 so far, no doubt he'll end up buying the HD DVD drive.

Exactly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 12:30AM by madotteя.
Date: March 28, 2007 01:11AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Even tough you say the 360 costs just as much as the PS3, problem is you leave out the fact that in most places you can get a deal with extra games for free for £279.99 (Basic 360 Premium Price), hell my local HMV gives you Gears Of War for free with it. £425 gives you a PS3 alone, no games, no Remote (That you get free with a HD-DVD drive with 360) No HDMI Cable just standard def cable (360 comes with Component cable). Take them into account and the PS3 becomes more expensive again. If you want we can take an example here off Game's own website -

360 Budled with Tomb Raider, PGR3 and Wireless Controller, £299.99
No 60GB Hard Drive currently so 20GB is the only option.
HD-DVD Drive + Free Remote £134.99
Wireless Adapter £59.99
Xbox Live 12 Month Gold £39.99

bout it there for the 360, so the total is £534.96

Now the cheapest PS3 bundle I could find which came close is £484.99 with 2 games only so..
PS3 Controller £32.99
Bluetooth Remote £17.99
HDMI Cable £12.99 (GAMEware one)
Free Online play so no charge there.
No Headset Avalible so can't quote for that.

Total? £548.96, Granted this difference is a bit petty, but like Iain has just said the HD-DVD and Wireless are extras, some people want them and it'll come close to the price of the PS3, but some people just want a games console to play on, not a HD-DVD player, some people don't need Wireless, fact is theres a choice there with the 360 to cater for the customer and make it a bit cheaper for them, PS3 has no choice whatsoever, if Sony released the 20GB over here then there'd be more of a choice, but Sony haven't.

Also with the wireless adapter, you don't have to get the Microsoft one, any Wireless adapter using an Ethernet cable will work, for instance this - [cgi.ebay.co.uk] there are alternatives around :) Just like no one would bother getting a Official Sony HDMI cable for £17.99 when you could get an unbranded one for about £12.99(Like the GAMEWare one or the Gameplay one, etc etc)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 01:51AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 28, 2007 02:21AM
Posted by: ralv585
i'm starting to give in guy's, i want a PS3 :(

i've done the math's, i get 12.5% discount in johnlewis, they are selling it for £424.95, the discount brings it down to £371.83, and i've got £20 gift voucher too, that brings it down to £351.83, and if i go halve's with my girlfriend, it will be £175.92, if she say's no, which she will :(, my sister still owes me some money, don't know if it's in that region, but i can extract that amount out of her easily ;)

it's so shiny and black, i want it...:(

Date: March 28, 2007 04:11AM
Ian, would you believe that we have sold out of Sony HDMI cables!! We have about 20 Gameware left, even though we tell people they are exactly the same they still want Sony. We now have a list of people waiting for when we get more Sony HDMIs in... stupid. The Gameware version works best for everyone, firstly the customer gets the same cable for less and secondly, we make massive margins on it ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 04:11AM by madotteя.
Date: March 28, 2007 08:17AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
i just laid a cat5 cable from my router to my room. no wireless adapter for my 360. saved me a bundle.

Date: March 28, 2007 11:06AM
madotteя Wrote:
> Ian, would you believe that we have sold out of
> Sony HDMI cables!! We have about 20 Gameware left,
> even though we tell people they are exactly the
> same they still want Sony. We now have a list of
> people waiting for when we get more Sony HDMIs
> in... stupid. The Gameware version works best for
> everyone, firstly the customer gets the same cable
> for less and secondly, we make massive margins on
> it ;)

lol! Some people are so dumb these days :D HDMI cables are just digital cables, theres no difference whatsoever unlike Analog cables, so all the gold plated extra shielding is completly useless on them! ;)

I did the same Neil, got a cable running from my 360 into the Router, does the trick nicely ;)

Date: March 28, 2007 05:28PM

Read the thread, dont just post rubbish. The price of the PS3 was not what was stated. ModOtter stated it was £1200, and despite you attempt to prove me wrong, all you do is back me up by checking Amazong UK for me :rolleyes:

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 29, 2007 01:59AM
I think he was pointing out that the comment "Amazong has one for the equivelent of £300 which is good quality." is "Bollllllllocks", and besides all that proves is the the PS3 is good value as it's £113 cheaper than a stand alone player and has games and multimedia capabilities. Case closed on that subject!
Date: March 29, 2007 02:20AM
Well I managed to pick up a PS3 off some chump off ebay for £250 :D with a Bluetooth Remote, Motorstorm, F1 CE, COD3 and 2x Blu-Ray Movies. Cheaper than I originally got the 360 for! :o Anyway so heres my opinion on it -

Intital Setup

Everything plugged in simply enough, got the unbranded HDMI cable from gameplay, plugged it in and selected 720p.. problem was when I tried to use it, it didn't seem anywhere as clear as the 360 even around the menu system. Got very confused with it, so clicked on auto instead and it detected 1080i! now seen as my TV dosn't support over 1280x720 it shouldn't work at all, but it does work fine :/ and it was all perfectly clear, makes absolutly no sense at all, but it worked :S After that was done, I had to update the console... which ended up taking an hour to download for some reason, but got there in the end. After all that, everything else went swimmingly! Controllers connected ok, signed up to the network without a problem and started downloading GT HD :)

The unit itself

Some things I did notice whist I was messing about with the PS3, its is very very quiet! quieter even than the Wii which surprised me alot! The only thing I can hear from it is the odd read from the Blu-Ray drive now and then. Even though its only slightly bigger than the 360 it looks alot bigger for some reason! Also it does feel like its getting quite warm, but no difference from the heat out of the 360 imo (Don't have a temp sensor so can't say for certain :) ) Oh and bare in mind my 360 is a launch unit, so thats probably quietened down ALOT nowadays...

Gaming

Started off my gaming! Usually I like to put on some of my own music whilst I play games, but for some reason unlike the Wii and 360, the PS3 won't let me play my own music ingame, which is really confusing as it isn't that hard to do, probably be sorted with a patch but still. Anyway, I started over with MotorStorm, Instantly I noticed that the unit took a while loading everything, not a surprise seen as Blu-Ray reads slower than a 16x DVD drive, but I've gotta say MotorStorm is one of the most fun off road games I've played! :D By far my favourite game on the PS3 atm, Graphics are really up there, probably not quite as good as Gears Of War but there is a hell of alot more going on in this, about 15 cars/bikes/rigs/buggies/quads racing against each other, very good surrounding GFX, wet mud tyre track effects that are created as the cars go round build up, decreasing on the grip, and the physics don't feel half arsed on any of them even though each car has its own style, this game is basically what I wanted Flat Out to originally be like, and more! But a major letdown with this game is no Split-Screen action, thats a massive oversight imo.

However it went downhill (actually more like off a cliff) when I got to F1 Championship Edition. Its ok I suppose but it gets boring very quickly, it does look nice on most of the cams when driving, but when the Trackside camera comes on it really just completly goes down the s**tter, it looks completly wrong. Physics are very arcadey but I didn't expect any better, it handles imo quite alot like F1 97 did, but just not as fun for some reason :/ the AI are really really dumb, just plow into you from miles back for no reason whatsoever when they attempt to overtake. But the killing factor, James Allen commentating and not enough Martin Brundle at all.... The only saving factor for this game would be Split-Screen so you can muck about with mates when they come round, but again, no Split-Screen! Even F1 97 had Split-Screen :/

By this time GT HD had finished downloading, so I had a quick go on that, its basically GT4 in High Def, so lack of a sense of speed and boring physics are still there, does look nice though :) and it is a free download so can't really complain!

Went onto COD3 after that, the only game I have which I can directly compare to my 360, and to be honest, it looks identical, no difference at all but the controls felt weird, it seemed like a poor port imo. Didn't really play this game for long as I've already completed it on the 360, probably trade it in.

I can also say the Motion stuff sucks ass :P I tried it for about 5 minutes in MotorStorm and got bored of it straight away, it did work but was just way too sensitive and felt completly wrong. It does seem to work in COD3 quite well though, but its only used as pistol whip. So I'm not surprised in the slightest that Sony are binning it.

Blu-Ray Movies

Decided to take a look at the Blu-Ray stuff after that, World Trade Center (Which I already have on HD-DVD) and Superman Returns came with it. So seen as I've already seen WTC on my 360 I took a look at it on Blu-Ray, quality has no difference at all, the picture quality is identical. The Java menu system seems to work the same as before too, to be honest I couldn't see any difference between the two, both worked quite nicely. I didn't experience any crashes however or Audio Problems which I had heard about with Blu-Ray, but that could have been a problem with the Samsung BD-1000 as that was a very dodgy unit apparantly. I do like the Bluetooth remote though! Don't have to point it directly at the unit, can just use it anywhere without having to mess with the IR :) That imo is a good use for Bluetooth in the future! Should have them on TV's!
Also another bonus is the fact that the PS3 outputs DTS 5.1, the 360 will only out put Dolby Digital 5.1 and imo DTS does sound better to me.

Conclusion

In my opinion the PS3 does have alot of potential there, some of my problems with it could easily be fixed with patches (no in-game music etc) but there is other problems there which can't really be fixed like that, no streaming media for starters, as with the 360 you can stream pics, music and vids to your console. Playing Music won't let you go anywhere else other than the music area, so no going on the net and listening to some music. The online friends system isn't as easy, the only way you can chat over it is with a Bluetooth headset which are usually useless (I found this out in Ventrilo with VTR) and cost you an extra £40 for the cheapo ones. Not many good games around for it, only really Resistance: Fall Of Man (Which I'll probably pick up when I trade in COD3) and Motorstorm. 360 did suffer from this originally but PS3 are a year behind and can't afford to be in the position that the 360 was in for long. However some of the problems I heard about, Controller lag for starters which I half expected to see due to the Bluetooth controllers, isn't there, they seem fine. No Framerate issues, seems to be nice and smooth all the time, even with Heavy Rain on F1 CE. Surprisingly the controller didn't give me cramp in my hands like the old PS2 ones did! Even though they look identical... So to sum up -

Pro's:

- Free online system, which does seem very good for once!
- Very nice graphics with no Framerate problems
- Very quiet unit
- Easy setup, dosn't take a genius to figure it out, yet has plenty of customisable properties
- Upgradeable hard drive, just take out the old one and shove in a new Laptop HDD
- DTS 5.1 Support

Con's:

- Music playback severly flawed
- No Streaming media
- Extremely limited selection of decent Games
- High Price/No Choice
- No DVD Upscaling

So the final question, is it worth it? £250? yes I believe it is but £425? not a chance in hell, even though this unit does beat the 360 in places, it lacks behind the 360 in the more critical areas. Do I think the unit will survive? Difficult to say, if Sony fix these problems very quickly and manage to keep some of its exlusive titles then yes maybe so, but in my opinion I don't think it honestly has what it takes to beat the 360 at the moment. Its behind by a year and Microsoft arn't going to sit around and wait for them to catch up, in a years time they still will be a year behind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 02:21AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 29, 2007 10:43AM
Posted by: TC
If you think it has no framerate issues then play Tony Hawk's skater whatever its called now thingy, they are alot worse than the 360 version. Also the free online play is already being let down, games are starting to leave online out of PS3 versions and only having them on the 360.

Still... I will probably end up buying one when they drop the price at christmas.

Date: March 29, 2007 02:47PM
Framerate does seem fine on the games I've had, but the reason I didn't bother with THP8 was because it looked like a dodgy port, so not really surprised about that... The online system seems good to me! Lobby's a bit iffy on Motorstorm but other than that.

Date: March 29, 2007 03:20PM
Posted by: marcl
The streaming part is easy to get round install linux :).

The 360 is designed to work with windows thats why u can stream pics and music.

If u install linux u can run a windows emulator and run itunes, media player word etc.

People at work have both and some have said the 360 is better some have said the ps3 is better.

The ps3 will over take the 360 in the next year when they make games that use the cell 100%. The 360 in a lot of games is already running at max they recon so far games have only used the cell in the ps3 50%.

The 360 was already out of date the day it got released i.e no HD drive. They rushed it out just to beat sony.

Also my ps3 has not crashed once i have heard the 360 crashes alot.

The one thing i dont like is some ps2 games i have the sound is all wrong but people have said that happens with old xbox games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy