> LOL Muks, I'm not meaning to come across as
> creepy, but just last night I was thinking it's
> been ages since you'd been active on here. Less
> than 24 hours later you've posted again. That's
> the 2nd time in less than 6 months that that's
> happened. LOL. Welcome back again! :)
>
> Rival Sons look really good. I'll need to hit them
> up on Spotify/Last FM and have a thorough listen.
>
> The band I've gotten into recently(and purely
> through listening on Last FM - a first for me) are
> Royal Blood. Relatively new band formed in 2013.
> Only one self-titled album so far, but I love more
> or less every track on it. Ten Tonne Skeleton is
> the best track IMO, but it's the kind of album
> that plays like a Greatest Hits - wall to wall
> goodness. It's been a few years since a new rock
> band came along that had this rawness and energy
> about them, it's great to hear.

haha nice to be thought of around here (Y) i guess as we've all got older and had more responsibilities in life we're not able to hang out here as often as we used to. like you say i still drop in when i've got a new car model.

yeah Royal Blood were massive last year, did you see their awesome Glastonbury 2014 performance? >>>

i'd have to say the only songs i like are the 4 singles they've released so far, Out of the Black, Come on Over, and my 2 faves, Little Monster and Figure It out (i think their best song). the rest of the album doesn't have the killer hooks or riffs like these 4 i've mentioned. looking forward to their next effort though. it's impressive to see that they make all that noise and depth of sound with just 2 guys (drummer and bass player/singer) and the way he plays the bass as a normal guitar is awesome, literally driving the song as well as adding the melodic flare too.

Muse at Glasto 2010 were amazing, EVERYONE PLEASE watch if you've not seen it before:

INCREDIBLE! love how they close with Cydonia and especially the Man With The Harmonica intro, superb! (around 1hr 32mins)

oh and i love Space Dementia and Unintended is so beautiful. Sunburn another great song. Uno's not bad. In Your World from Origin is epic, I also love Micro Cuts, sounds like it should have been on the soundtrack to Batman Begins or something when he's running through Arkham Asylum.

the 2 albums i connected with most were Absolution and Black Holes...i would listen to them from start to finish during my college and uni days, no skip tracks.

too many good songs by them!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 09:44PM by Muks_C.
Re: Muse?
Date: August 02, 2015 12:04PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Royal Blood use the bass guitar for both bass AND lead by plugging it into two amps and making one of them an octave higher.

Lately, I've discovered Everything Everything who are sort of an experimental art-rock band. They're great.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: August 02, 2015 12:12PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah i read about the amp setup recently, the singer was saying other musicians were puzzled how he did this and he wouldn't tell them his settings or something.

Jimmy Page is a fan of theirs too.

I only know 1 Everything Everything song, the one that was on the radio a short while a go, Distant Past, and i like it:

(can anyone advise how to embed videos? i've forgotten ;-(tried [youtube] and also [video] tags but they're not correct, cheers)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 09:45PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 02, 2015 05:55PM
Posted by: kedy89
put the link, remove the s from https, then it works ;-). No tags necessary.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 05:56PM by kedy89.
Date: August 02, 2015 11:41PM
Posted by: EC83
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > LOL Muks, I'm not meaning to come across as
> > creepy, but just last night I was thinking it's
> > been ages since you'd been active on here. Less
> > than 24 hours later you've posted again. That's
> > the 2nd time in less than 6 months that that's
> > happened. LOL. Welcome back again! :)
> >
> > Rival Sons look really good. I'll need to hit
> them
> > up on Spotify/Last FM and have a thorough
> listen.
> >
> > The band I've gotten into recently(and purely
> > through listening on Last FM - a first for me)
> are
> > Royal Blood. Relatively new band formed in
> 2013.
> > Only one self-titled album so far, but I love
> more
> > or less every track on it. Ten Tonne Skeleton
> is
> > the best track IMO, but it's the kind of album
> > that plays like a Greatest Hits - wall to wall
> > goodness. It's been a few years since a new
> rock
> > band came along that had this rawness and
> energy
> > about them, it's great to hear.
>
>
> haha nice to be thought of around here (Y) i guess
> as we've all got older and had more
> responsibilities in life we're not able to hang
> out here as often as we used to. like you say i
> still drop in when i've got a new car model.
>
> yeah Royal Blood were massive last year, did you
> see their awesome Glastonbury 2014 performance?
> >>> [www.youtube.com]
>
> i'd have to say the only songs i like are the 4
> singles they've released so far, Out of the Black,
> Come on Over, and my 2 faves, Little Monster and
> Figure It out (i think their best song). the rest
> of the album doesn't have the killer hooks or
> riffs like these 4 i've mentioned. looking forward
> to their next effort though. it's impressive to
> see that they make all that noise and depth of
> sound with just 2 guys (drummer and bass
> player/singer) and the way he plays the bass as a
> normal guitar is awesome, literally driving the
> song as well as adding the melodic flare too.
>
> Muse at Glasto 2010 were amazing, EVERYONE PLEASE
> watch if you've not seen it before:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> INCREDIBLE! love how they close with Cydonia and
> especially the Man With The Harmonica intro,
> superb! (around 1hr 32mins)
>
> oh and i love Space Dementia and Unintended is so
> beautiful. Sunburn another great song. Uno's not
> bad. In Your World from Origin is epic, I also
> love Micro Cuts, sounds like it should have been
> on the soundtrack to Batman Begins or something
> when he's running through Arkham Asylum.
>
> the 2 albums i connected with most were Absolution
> and Black Holes...i would listen to them from
> start to finish during my college and uni days, no
> skip tracks.
>
> too many good songs by them!

Since I'm on a roll here, I love your new avatar as well. Just noticed that, it's a corker! I take it you're still just as into Batman then :)

Yeah, it seems I've been slow to get into Royal Blood, I'd never heard any of their music till I first listened the Muse Last FM playlist in April this year(probably because I've not been listening to Radio 1 lately), but I liked them straight away.

A good way of making yourself listen to entire albums without skipping tracks is to make a cassette tape of them, IMO. I made a tape of Black Holes & Revelations when it came out and chose to listen to that instead of the CD(which I'd actually taped it from), because then I knew I'd listen the whole instead of just looping Starlight and Knights Of Cydonia. :P
I miss the tapes, hope they come back into style again like vinyl has. Fortunately I still have one radio/cassette player which made the move with me into my current flat.

I'll definitely watch the Muse Glasto vid when I get a chance, I've never seen it yet for whatever reason, will need to put that right.

BBC4 showed a TOTP performance by Muse last night, performing Feeling Good. It was quite dynamic, even though it's not one of my favourite songs by them. I liked Matt singing into the mic through a megaphone.

Lately I've been appreciating Map Of Your Head too. Touchingly melodic, and shows a different side of them musically.

n00binio Wrote:
> Good point on the mainstream radio stations. Would
> be cool if they would just promote the odd
> non-mainstream artist from time to time. Currently
> they seem to have a couple of favourite artists
> who get played tons of time but not much beyond
> that.
>
> EC83 schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's interesting that you mention Tarja - when
> I
> > saw your profile earlier on I took an interest,
> > because she looks hot. :P But I'll definitely
> > check her music out too, I like that kind of
> > sound.
>
> LOL, her voice adds to the hotness so you won't
> regret it :-) Her cover of "The Phantom of the
> Opera" (a live version ideally) should be a good
> start.
>
> > I want to check out as many different sounds as
> > possible on Last FM, because I actually love
> music
> > from an insane number of different genres.
>
> When I looked at your profile for the first time I
> was surprised to see that our agreement was shown
> to be very high. But I guess this will be the case
> with any other last.fm profile as there's indeed
> music from every single genre on your profile ;)

That's cool of you to say. Well appreciated, as that's exactly what I'm aiming for! :) I'm still going to keep pushing hard with it, as there's still loads of artists and sounds that I want to add to it - once I've got more than 3000 plays of Muse, which is my next target. Once I've got all the classic sounds on it, I'll start Spotifying the latest stuff onto it :)

One thing I've noticed is that new music seems to take a while to make its way onto Last FM. For example, in the Muse playlist, no tracks from Drones get played at all - the most recent album on it is The 2nd Law, and the most recent single is Panic Station. I have scrobbled Drones onto my Last FM profile, but I had to go on Spotify to do it. New material seems to take a few months at least to get onto Last FM playlists.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 12:02AM by EC83.
Date: August 03, 2015 09:31PM
Yeah thought i'd do some housekeeping with my sig and avatar while I was on here the other day. Yes I'm excited for batman v superman. I don't understand all the flack Ben affleck's getting for playing batman. I think he fits the character well based on the photos and trailers so far.

Never heard map of your head, will have to check it out. I have the hullabaloo live DVD from their concert in Paris in 2001, he does feeling good with the megaphone and it's great.

Date: August 04, 2015 12:15AM
Yeah, that sig tribute is nice(although I liked the Bruno Mars lyric you had there before it too) and I've always liked that mashup of pics of MS in 93(I think) and 97. I remember you putting that in your sig when his comeback with Mercedes was first announced, LOL.
The 93 pic is amusing - I've been watching a lot of GPs from that time over the last couple of years, including the press conferences, and he seemed to be much more animated and extrovert in his early Benetton years than he was later in his career.

Yeah, Ben Affleck seems like a decent enough actor - definitely underrated compared to some. I'm looking forward to the movie, although I wonder sometimes if crossover movies are a good idea, because I see each superhero character as a unique entity and I fear crossover movies blur the boundaries between them too much. I love Batman and I love Superman, but might bringing them together be an overload?
Meh, maybe I'm reading too much into it. The concept is a cool one on paper though, so maybe best to wait and see.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 12:33AM by EC83.
Date: August 10, 2015 10:15PM
yeah i saw a bit of footage from '92 and '93 recently and MS seemed more jokey and like he was mucking around with the mechanics. i suppose he was young and had nothing to lose or fight for so it wasn't as serious as in his later successful years.

Affleck has done some stinker movies in his time but he's become a really credible actor and director i think. i've always been against mashup movies too especially for Batman and Superman, but i think it might just work with the "realism" established in Man Of Steel. and with Batman now a serious character again after Chris Nolan's trilogy, i think we're going to get something very good from this movie and the proceeding DC movies.

I saw Avengers 2 this year and i have to say it's one of the worst movies i've ever seen. tonnes of CGI, mindless action and bad jokes/lines that just weren't funny, they were trying to lift the mood and make it jokey at every opportunity, so it took away any depth to the movie and you end up not caring about any of the characters. DC seems to be making this movie for adults, whereas all of Marvel's efforts seem aimed squarely at the under 10s who just go nuts for flashing lights and colours, which is not fulfilling or satisfying for someone in his 30s (me).

Date: August 27, 2015 02:00PM
Posted by: mortal
Man at Muse gig realises he's made a horrible mistake.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 27, 2015 06:56PM
hahahaha. i love The Poke.

Date: September 18, 2015 06:34PM
Muse tickets went on sale at 9am today for their Manchester gig next April 8th as part of their Drones tour, sold out within a couple of minutes and were appearing on reseller websites for hundreds of ££ immediately after, couldnt get any :(

found out an hour later that they announced another gig for the day after at the same venue and managed to get 2 tickets, only at the top tier at the back, but they're tickets nonetheless :)

just under 7 months to wait... (H)

Date: December 16, 2015 08:16PM
Posted by: Monza972
EC83 Wrote:
> Yeah, this thread is kind of a time capsule, ha. I
> remember posting on the first page of it in the
> original discussion too. My posts back then make
> me cringe, partly because my posting style has
> matured since then(when I want it to... LOL) and
> partly because I was in a bad place back in those
> times. I think it was a great bit of timing that
> Mortal started this thread just as they were about
> to release The Resistance.
>
> If anything I've gotten more into Muse since back
> then. I think the release of Drones has
> invigorated my interest even more, along with the
> normal surge of interest when one of your
> favourite bands releases a new album.
>
> Wonder if Monil is still so into them now.

Hello! Yep, still into them but the last two albums have disappointed me somewhat. The 2nd Law & Drones both went to OTT with the whole government conspiracy viewpoints. Whilst it's interesting they're looking at new ways to improve their sound, it just feels a little eh.
Date: April 12, 2016 09:28PM
the gig i mentioned back in September a couple of posts up happened this saturday and IT WAS AMAZING!!! am sooooo happy to have eventually seen them after many years of loving them. The visuals were awesome and the playing/singing were flawless, Matt Bellamy proved again he is a musical genius and an awesome frontman and entertainer/showman, he really knows how to play to the audience and involve them. they surely have to be contenders for best live band in the world.

The setlist was mostly off Drones understandably, but they included the classics/favourites such as Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased, Starlight, Stockholm Syndrome, Uprising, and many more, and ended with the epic Knights of Cydonia as has become customary at any of their live performances, which blew the roof off the arena. Sadly in the saturday gig i went to they didn't play Hysteria or Feeling Good, which they did on the friday night show, but you can't have it all.

The stage was circular in the middle of the arena with 2 arms coming off it, and the centre circle revolved so everyone could see the band from all angles. Screens came down with projected images, and also at one point puppeteer hands were on them, with strings seemingly connected to Matt and Chris and tracked with them as they moved around the stage during The Handler, very nicely done. There were 12 "drones"/spheres that came down and flew about in formation then went back up to their docking stations in the ceiling rigging.

I very highly recommend seeing them live, especially on an arena tour like this where they can go crazy with the props and visuals. i wish i could see them again!

few of my photos:

found this full gig footage from December 2015 in Arizona, pretty much the same with a few setlist differences to the show i saw, watch if you can:

and btw, i thought Batman V Superman was terrible, it's so disappointing that hundreds of millions of dollars and years of work ended up in a boring, joyless, emotionally void crapfest. Ben Affleck was good i thought, the only positive beacon to shine from this mess. i hope his solo Batman movie repairs the damage. BvS crapped all over the goodwill Chris Nolan brought to the character with his trilogy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 09:33PM by Muks_C.
Date: April 17, 2016 06:38PM
Posted by: Monza972
Muks_C
and btw, i thought Batman V Superman was terrible, it's so disappointing that hundreds of millions of dollars and years of work ended up in a boring, joyless, emotionally void crapfest. Ben Affleck was good i thought, the only positive beacon to shine from this mess. i hope his solo Batman movie repairs the damage. BvS crapped all over the goodwill Chris Nolan brought to the character with his trilogy.

Agreed. While the fight visuals were great to look at, story wise it left me wanting more. Wonder Woman decided to pop up out of nowhere (Her solo movie should've been before BvS) and the reason to help Superman purely on "Martha" was the bit that killed it for me. The last 30mins or so were alright.
Date: April 23, 2016 02:00PM
I hated the whole Doomsday section of the movie, he was basically a grey Hulk. It all then became a big CGI fight and i couldn't even tell what was going on in some of it. I tend to tune out when it goes like that, the same reason i don't like the Avengers movies and Hulk in particular. so many plotholes and loose ends in this movie, it's ridiculous:

how can Clark never have heard of Bruce Wayne or Batman, considering Batman has been active for about 20 years? How has Superman never investigated this murderous vigilante character when Gotham and Metropolis are "just across the bay" to each other? (not that distance should matter anyway because he can travel to any part of the world in a second). Lex wanted to kill Superman, then later his motivation changed and he wanted to kill Batman. Why? Superman was the threat to all humankind that needed stopping, Batman wasn't.
When Superman shows up to the main battle under Lex's orders, why didn't he just talk to him and say "Lex sent me to kill you, otherwise he'll kill my mother"? then they wouldn't have had to have the fight and could have just worked together from then.

the "Martha" thing can be interpreted in 2 ways. We're all taking the literal reason that he didn't kill Superman because both their mothers have the same name, and we're all criticising the script for that. The other is that for the first time Bruce sees Superman as an emotional being with loved ones he cares about, and then relates that back to his own grief, he humanises him in his own mind and so empathises and doesn't kill him.

which ever it was meant to be, i and probably all other Batman fans wanted him to kill him, or at least attempt it, because same-name mothers or not, Bruce's whole motivation for going after Superman was to avenge the deaths of his employees in his Metropolis building, and that shouldn't have been overridden just because of "Martha", or Bruce's empathy.

I can understand what Jesse was going for with his portrayal of Lex, but he every second he was on-screen was cringeworthy and awkward.

I just hope the solo Batman movie is allowed to focus on him alone and lets Ben continue his good start with the character.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 02:10PM by Muks_C.
Date: June 25, 2016 03:05AM
Just saw their Glastonbury headlining gig on TV earlier tonight... Really good! Think their lighting at gigs has improved even more over the last few years. There were a few standout moments for me, with Starlight(the whole song) and the intro to Supermassive Black Hole being my favourites.
Impressive, too, that they've now done the "Glasto hat trick" of headlining all three nights on different years. :)

Date: June 25, 2016 10:25PM
Posted by: Excalibur
I am going to see them to Nîmes in July, 18th :-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 10:26PM by Excalibur.
Date: June 25, 2016 10:38PM
Their Glastonbury set from last night:

[youtu.be]

Date: June 26, 2016 12:59PM
Posted by: mortal
Damn, vid blocked already.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy