Muse?

Posted by mortal 
Re: Muse?
Date: September 14, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: harjinator
yeah, have to admit i preferred the resistance tour 'entrance'. Was spine tingling

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 14, 2010 11:36PM
Posted by: LS.
Agreed, but how were they gonna top that!!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 27, 2015 10:43PM
Posted by: EC83
Muse are the first artist to get more than 2000 plays on my Last FM page. (2041 plays so far to be exact, but I'll be adding more to that tonight.)

Drones is a pretty good album by the way, and I think Muse deserve kudos for continuing to experiment with different sounds this far into their career, which is a great sign.

My most recent favourite Muse track is actually off a previous album though - Big Freeze, off of The 2nd Law. Beautiful, beautiful track.

Date: July 27, 2015 11:50PM
Posted by: n00binio
How many plays do you have in total?

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 28, 2015 12:58AM
As of this moment, 27971. Currently listening, though, so that'll be old info pretty quickly. :P

I signed up on it back in September 2011, and occasionally listened to the odd track or two till Oct 2012, then kinda forgot about it till April this year, when I managed to remember my password and got back in.
I only had 440 plays at that point, so I decided it needed to look more respectable :P I've been hammering it these last few months, LOL.

Date: July 28, 2015 01:21AM
Uprising has just become the first track to get its 100th play on my page. Get in! :P

That means getting on for 100 recent views of the video. I love it, think it's very well put together. Those teddy bears are creepy as @#$%& though. Love the scene where Matt smashes the shop window with his guitar and takes the TVs out. :P

Date: July 28, 2015 02:17PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Haha, just flicked back to the first page and stumbled across 18-year-old me.

I've actually really gone off Muse, to the extent that I've not picked up any album after The Resistance.

I stand by my point from page 1, Absolution and Origins of Symmetry are their best two albums.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: July 28, 2015 05:06PM
Yeah, this thread is kind of a time capsule, ha. I remember posting on the first page of it in the original discussion too. My posts back then make me cringe, partly because my posting style has matured since then(when I want it to... LOL) and partly because I was in a bad place back in those times. I think it was a great bit of timing that Mortal started this thread just as they were about to release The Resistance.

If anything I've gotten more into Muse since back then. I think the release of Drones has invigorated my interest even more, along with the normal surge of interest when one of your favourite bands releases a new album.

Wonder if Monil is still so into them now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 05:06PM by EC83.
Date: July 28, 2015 10:56PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Yeah, this thread is kind of a time capsule, ha. I remember posting on the first page of it in the original discussion too. My posts back then make me cringe, partly because my posting style has matured since then(when I want it to... LOL) and partly because I was in a bad place back in those times. I think it was a great bit of timing that Mortal started this thread just as they were about to release The Resistance.

Meh, in 2009 I was 29 and still a kid most of the time. And still not much has changed since. ;)

Including still no Muse. ;)
Date: July 29, 2015 12:05PM
Damn, interest in Muse really seems to have declined now. :-/ ( Not aimed at Gav, since like you say, you weren't a huge fan before. :P )

It's an interesting point about the maturity thing. I too feel like acting like a kid most of the time on here, and it's not a reflection on actual maturity as a person, but borne out of a desire for light-heartedness and fun(And a tiny bit of sarcasm... OK, a lot!). It seems that society judges us unfairly and tends to label hilarity as immature, when in fact it shows innate goodness.

Date: July 29, 2015 11:16PM
EC83 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As of this moment, 27971. Currently listening,
> though, so that'll be old info pretty quickly. :P
>
> I signed up on it back in September 2011, and
> occasionally listened to the odd track or two till
> Oct 2012, then kinda forgot about it till April
> this year, when I managed to remember my password
> and got back in.
> I only had 440 plays at that point, so I decided
> it needed to look more respectable :P I've been
> hammering it these last few months, LOL.

Wow, impressive. I started approximately at the same time and managed 12646 plays.

Date: July 30, 2015 02:57AM
Haha, cheers. I'm pushing hard to make it look more respectable in lots of ways. I like how in various ways(Total plays, artist plays, total artists, loved tracks etc) you can actually express your taste in music pretty nicely.
My targets I set myself for July were over 1000 loved tracks, over 1000 artists listened to, one artist(Muse!) played over 2000 times, two artists with over 1000 plays(Queen is the other one) and one track played over 100 times - all boxes now ticked, which I'm happy about.
By setting myself these targets for each month, I find it easier to push myself to listen more(Although I don't need much of a push, as I've always loved listening to music).

I personally won't be happy with it till I've got over 100,000 plays(which sounds like a lot, but I've come across users on there with even higher numbers of plays than that). But I'll keep pushing on with it after that too, assuming I get there. At the rate I've been logging tracks(28000 now since early April), it shouldn't take too many months.
(Actually, as it turns out, I recently learned that plays on an account are limited to 1,000,000. After the counter reaches that number it freezes, and you need to start a new account. For a useless bit of info!)

I've got to say, the more I get into Last FM, the more I really enjoy it. I like how it responds to preferences you've shown previously too. And I like how it doesn't need to be actively "worked on" - in terms of you can have it playing in the background while you do other stuff, like I'm doing right now, ha.
I tend to leave it playing while I sleep too, that's great for improving numbers of plays.

I'm interested in having a career as a radio DJ, and I'm hoping my Last FM page can act as a musical CV. It would be a nice thought anyway, the amount of time and effort I've been putting into it, LOL.

Edit: Removed accidental bipolar smiley.

Date: July 30, 2015 11:35PM
EC83 schrieb:
> I'm interested in having a career as a radio DJ,
> and I'm hoping my Last FM page can act as a
> musical CV. It would be a nice thought anyway, the
> amount of time and effort I've been putting into
> it, LOL.

Ah, makes sense, nice idea :)

Looking at my stats it's quite funny to see that I have more than 20 songs with 100+ plays (favourite one at 400+) and 3 artists with more than 1000 plays despite having a lot less total plays. Seems you're way more open minded when it comes to music than I am :P

Date: July 31, 2015 05:16PM
Posted by: Muks_C
haha, this is great. i posted on page 2 of the thread saying they were brilliant.

i still love their old stuff (Absolution, Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes...) are amazing albums, but i was disappointed with The Resistance, more disappointed with The 2nd Law, and kind of meh with Drones, bar a couple of decent tracks.

A band i've really got into in a massive way over the past couple of years are Rival Sons, albums Pressure and Time, and Head Down are awesome, just pure down n dirty rock n' roll with not too much overproduction, and their last album Great Western Valkyrie is pretty good too. They have a 6-song EP called Prime Cuts which is also excellent. I've seen them twice since discovering them and i think they are absolutely fantastic live, from the singing to the guitar playing. they are so talented that they can pull off flawless performances and you're wanting to see them more.

and their logo is pretty cool too:

they are now my favourite current band, although i do still love Muse's back catalogue.

i urge you all to check them out. they can do the rock stuff really well but also the slower more emotional songs that you can actually connect to, rather than slow songs just being filler tracks on the albums.

one of their best songs, Young Love:

[www.youtube.com]

Electric Man opens their latest album: [www.youtube.com]

Get What's Coming: [www.youtube.com] (the riff's reminiscent of Deep Purple's Black Night)

the softer Face Of Light: [www.youtube.com]

up tempo All Over The Road: [www.youtube.com]

i absolutely love 'em :)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 05:18PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 31, 2015 08:25PM
LOL Muks, I'm not meaning to come across as creepy, but just last night I was thinking it's been ages since you'd been active on here. Less than 24 hours later you've posted again. That's the 2nd time in less than 6 months that that's happened. LOL. Welcome back again! :)

Rival Sons look really good. I'll need to hit them up on Spotify/Last FM and have a thorough listen.

The band I've gotten into recently(and purely through listening on Last FM - a first for me) are Royal Blood. Relatively new band formed in 2013. Only one self-titled album so far, but I love more or less every track on it. Ten Tonne Skeleton is the best track IMO, but it's the kind of album that plays like a Greatest Hits - wall to wall goodness. It's been a few years since a new rock band came along that had this rawness and energy about them, it's great to hear.

RE Muse's back catalogue, through Last FM(again) I've finally had a thorough listen to both Showbiz and Origins Of Symmetry. Muscle Museum and The Unintended off of Showbiz are excellent.
The standout track off Origins Of Symmetry(apart from Plug In Baby) is Space Dementia. Its tortured fantasizing is brilliant to listen to. Whenever there's finally a manned mission to Mars, it should be piped to the spacecraft on loop.

n00binio Wrote:
> EC83 schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm interested in having a career as a radio
> DJ,
> > and I'm hoping my Last FM page can act as a
> > musical CV. It would be a nice thought anyway,
> the
> > amount of time and effort I've been putting
> into
> > it, LOL.
>
> Ah, makes sense, nice idea :)
>
> Looking at my stats it's quite funny to see that I
> have more than 20 songs with 100+ plays (favourite
> one at 400+) and 3 artists with more than 1000
> plays despite having a lot less total plays. Seems
> you're way more open minded when it comes to music
> than I am :P

Nah, I dunno about that, it could just indicate that you're more passionate about music and have a better idea of what you want to listen to, LOL.

I'm still pushing hard on it and want to keep on at this intensity for a while yet, because of the public options on the profile to view plays from the last week, last month, last 3 months, last 6 months, last year etc. At the moment it might look OK on the surface, but if someone looks even as far back as a few months, they'll see basically exactly the same stuff and be like "Oh... :-/" and I ideally want to prevent that, which will mean consistently pounding the profile with plays till at least after April next year, in order to give it real depth. It's a challenge I'm well up for though.

Do you have the same username on Last FM? I should hit you up on there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 08:46PM by EC83.
Date: July 31, 2015 10:52PM
Nope, different username. You got a pm. Also: try not to laugh ;)

Date: August 01, 2015 12:12AM
Gotcha. LOL.

I love Evanescence too, although I've not heard much of their material apart from the self-titled album.
Good shout on Lacuna Coil. I've seen them play once, and partly because I was the photographer at the gig venue, I got to meet Cristina Scabbia afterwards. Was a good night!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 12:12AM by EC83.
Date: August 01, 2015 01:04AM
Ah, you lucky guy! I'm a bit jealous (Y)

Regarding Ev, I think "The open door" is their strongest effort so far, much better than the self-titled.
Check out Tarja at some point, it's worth it plus it can't hurt to have a bit of a classical influence on your profile :-)

Date: August 01, 2015 02:37AM
Yeah, it was pretty cool they played in a relatively obscure place like Dundee, nevermind one of the smaller venues there. I still have the selfie I took of me and Cristina, in fact I just put it up on my Google+ page the other day - which is probably why it's in my consciousness now, LOL.

Yeah, RE Ev(and I call them that too) I went by what bands were getting played on Radio 1 and other mainstream stations at the time, and if a band released a new album but it didn't get promoted or airplayed it was like it didn't exist at all somehow. I've only changed that attitude and started actively looking "under the radar" for good music in the last year or two. Last FM has helped a lot there I think, with the various stations for artists, which play the artist you chose and ones similar to them - I've come across a lot of great music that way, and reconnected with other music I hadn't heard for ages too. It's been brilliant.
One of the artists I've reconnected with has been Ev, and although I've not heard the entire album yet, the tracks I've heard off The Open Door have been really good.

It's interesting that you mention Tarja - when I saw your profile earlier on I took an interest, because she looks hot. :P But I'll definitely check her music out too, I like that kind of sound.

I want to check out as many different sounds as possible on Last FM, because I actually love music from an insane number of different genres. For example, BBC4 have been showing a documentary on synthpop, and I love more or less every song featured on it. Especially Together In Electric Dreams, which the credits were played over.

Opera metal and classical goodness looks well worth checking out. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 03:03AM by EC83.
Date: August 01, 2015 11:58PM
Good point on the mainstream radio stations. Would be cool if they would just promote the odd non-mainstream artist from time to time. Currently they seem to have a couple of favourite artists who get played tons of time but not much beyond that.

EC83 schrieb:
> It's interesting that you mention Tarja - when I
> saw your profile earlier on I took an interest,
> because she looks hot. :P But I'll definitely
> check her music out too, I like that kind of
> sound.

LOL, her voice adds to the hotness so you won't regret it :-) Her cover of "The Phantom of the Opera" (a live version ideally) should be a good start.

> I want to check out as many different sounds as
> possible on Last FM, because I actually love music
> from an insane number of different genres.

When I looked at your profile for the first time I was surprised to see that our agreement was shown to be very high. But I guess this will be the case with any other last.fm profile as there's indeed music from every single genre on your profile ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy