Computer build advice

Posted by Hologide 
Re: Computer build advice
Date: February 10, 2009 11:30PM
Posted by: Hologide
I guess this is something which is impossible to diagnose online. I'll have a word with my local computer repair store tomorrow and hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on it. I just hope nothing's wrong with the CPU. The heat sink/fan was really horrid to get on, i've got a seriously bad feeling. I didn't hear anything crack or break though, so... hmm, i'll see.

Thanks for your help people I appreciate it!
Date: February 11, 2009 02:16AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Check the RAM is in properly; it should seat correctly in the slots and you just need to push it down to clip it into place. The CPU should be even easier to insert: ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) mean you just need to place it on the socket and it drops into place; if it doesn't check it's the right way round. The CPU heatsinks these days are right b****rds from AMD and Intel, but all things being equal, it should slot in without much effort.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 11, 2009 10:23AM
Posted by: gav
Nothing immediately springs to mind as to what could be wrong - the only thing I can think of is a BIOS incompatibility which isn't letting the system see the CPU sufficiently to boot, but that's rare on modern systems. Though the CPU isn't listed on the supported list on the ASUS site (something you were asked to check before ordering ;-)).

I wrote a guide for Bigears here, and while most of it applies to an Intel-based system, the vast majority will be the same.

If you arrange carriage I don't mind building it myself if you want. I've got spares of everything so I can try different combinations and see which part is causing the problem or what's set up wrong, if you like. Obviously not knowing me, that's a gamble on your part, but the offer is there if you want it. :)
Date: February 11, 2009 03:14PM
Yeah I noticed that the CPUs weren't on the respective websites. But the socket types were the same and I was elsewhere informed that this meant they should work.

Gah I dont know what to do now. The guys at the repair store think there's a fault but they couldn't pin it down to the processor nor the motherboard. I can't really request a refund on both, can I?

I suppose I could order another processor, one off of the AMD 'compatibility list' and see if that works. If not I know its the processor. So much for trying to save money by building it myself!
Date: February 11, 2009 03:42PM
Sorry to double post - apparently the mobo is compatible with the processor, but only after downloading a bios update. I guess this means I need to get hold of another processor - get the motherboard up and running so I can download a new BIOS then re-install the Phenom II?
Date: February 11, 2009 06:10PM
Posted by: gav
LOL, different ASUS sites have different support lists. You're right, with the 0801 BIOS Phenom II support is added.

Won't the repair shop have an old AM2 CPU to try?
Date: February 11, 2009 06:12PM
Posted by: mika19b
Hologide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to double post - apparently the mobo is
> compatible with the processor, but only after
> downloading a bios update. I guess this means I
> need to get hold of another processor - get the
> motherboard up and running so I can download a new
> BIOS then re-install the Phenom II?

Sound's like it :(

Best thing to do is buy a really cheapy single core just to update the bios.
Date: February 11, 2009 06:18PM
No! They didn't have an AM2 processor to try out! i found that hard to believe. He wanted me to strip out the motherboard and take it in for them to have a look at it. Sounds like he was maybe trying to convince me to pay for a repair/replacement.

Gonna order the cheapest AM2 model I can find that's on the list for the default BIOS and see how that goes. And if that fails too I know I've got a serious hardware issue. Kills two birds with one stone I suppose!!

EDIT - Well that's done. Single Core AMD AM2 processor arriving on Friday. With any luck this will be my final post in this thread! Once again, thanks for your assistance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 06:33PM by Hologide.
Date: February 11, 2009 08:57PM
Let us know how it go's :)
Date: February 13, 2009 01:01PM
*phew*

new processor arrived this morning - so i stripped the pc, installed the new cpu, put the mobo back into the case and linked it all up. it all worked - i installed the new bios which went fine. Then stripped it all back out again, put the Phenom II back in, got it back into the case again, and its booted successfully this time! :D

With any luck, installing the OS, drives and graphics card should be a piece of cake compared to getting the CPU going.

I do believe this calls for a sausage sarnie :) thanks for the support along the way guys, I honestly dont think i would have got this far without you!
Date: February 13, 2009 02:16PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That's good to know. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 13, 2009 03:36PM
Good work! :)

Installing the OS and the driver's should be a peice of cake, it just take's a little bit of time getting everything set up to your style.
Date: February 13, 2009 06:42PM
Yep, all sorted now! Cheers lads!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy