breaking news: Gunman kills 30 at US university
Date: April 16, 2007 10:06PM
Posted by: ralv585
this is crazy :(

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: breaking news: Gunman kills 30 at US university
Date: April 16, 2007 10:16PM
Posted by: kaid
yeah read it today :S. The count is at 32 now and 21 are wounded.

Date: April 16, 2007 11:19PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Its really, really shocking.

At some stage surely they must realise they have to review their gun ownership policy :(

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: April 17, 2007 12:04AM
Posted by: gary42
Very sad news :(

There was some guy on BBC Radio just now arguing that if you allowed full gun ownership with no restrictions, then these incidents wouldn't happen. When the presenter pointed out that Britain (and much of Western Europe) had far tighter gun restrictions, and these things rarely happen here, he claimed that the Holocaust would not have happened had there been no gun ownership rules in Western Europe at the time, and that the small number of deaths that would occur in schools or on the streets would outweigh that.

Unfortunately whilst these idiots are involved at high levels in both the Democrat and Republican party there will be no change, and innocent people will continue to die because of there insistence on carrying guns.

Date: April 17, 2007 03:09AM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's horrible news, I really wonder what the heck the motive was for such terrible action
Date: April 17, 2007 03:10AM
Posted by: bones1834
Well, we have pretty strict gun rules, but lets face it it only takes one nut carrying anyone's gun to do something like this. Gun laws here are not the tragedy in this case. The real tragedy is that he killed two people in a dorm room at 7:15am. Knowing this, authorities still allowed classes to continue while this man still was on the loose. That's when the real slaughter begin two hours later at 915am in an engineering class room on the same campus. I know the school is huge, about 27,000 students, but they should have been sent home after the first incident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2007 03:12AM by bones1834.
Date: April 17, 2007 10:13AM
Posted by: mschumi
Sad news indeed...but let's face it, in america you can get a gun very easy...i remember sawing at the news, about one kid, that after he play gta or hitman, took a shotgun and killed a woman and wounded 2 persons, all this from a 12 year old kid. :(

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: April 17, 2007 03:53PM
Posted by: Muks_C
but please let's not blame computer games. as a 12 year old, he shouldn't have been playing the game in the first place. and his parents probably bought it for him and ignored the 18 warning notice, or didn't realise it was a violent game...

shame about this new tragedy, heard today that he was a student there.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 17, 2007 07:04PM
Posted by: mschumi
Yeah, i remember that the mother of the kid didn't blamed the gun shop, from where he got the gun, she blamed the game company. If i remember, before the launch of hitman bloodmoney, there were discussions about how violent the game will be, but the company said there will be a T or 18 rating. But still, pretty amazing how easly someone can get a gun in the US.

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: April 17, 2007 07:12PM
the mother is stupid to blame the game company. if they put an 18 rating on the game's box, and she still bought the game for her 12 year old son, then why is it the game company's fault? it's her fault or the shop who sold the game to the boy (if he bought it himself without her knowledge).

and it's been said a million times, games don't turn a person into a psychotic killer, their mind is already warped, and games might just tip them over the edge.

i enjoy playing GTA games, i enjoy racing games, but i don't get a gun and kill people, and i don't drive at 150mph on the roads, because i'm not already mentally unstable.

Date: April 17, 2007 08:20PM
Posted by: Nickv
Very true there Muks.

It's horrible that such things actually happen :(

And about the gun laws in the USA. I read that when the first people came to America, they wrote in the constitution that every American should be able to carry a gun, to protect himself from bears and such. But those first people also wrote in the constitution that the constitution can't be changed, so America will practically never get out of this.
Date: April 17, 2007 08:57PM
yeah hearing pro-gun American's comments on the radio, some say if there were no restrictions, then it would have been better for this situation, as all the victims would have been able to defend themselves.

but my counter-argument for that crazy opinion, is that this kind of thing would happen far more frequently if everyone openly possessed a gun. any little problem at university would result in someone getting wounded or killed, but instead of a one-off mass rampage with lots of victims, we'd see hundreds or thousands of single-person shootings. currently this kind of thing only happens every few years, so a restriction is obviously still more effective than if there were no restrictions (of course it depends on which state is being discussed).

Date: April 18, 2007 02:12AM
Posted by: bones1834
Good point Muks. Imagine if everyone in that class had a gun.
Date: April 19, 2007 12:56AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
To be honest, the only postive this serves is to make everone realise in the USA that having guns carries inherrent risks. If this encourages serious political debate and policy change then there is a positive from this tragedy.

Anything else is a filler

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: April 19, 2007 12:25PM
but that's the thing, from what i heard on the radio news yesterday, it's not sparking any political debate about gun laws, it's not even under consideration.

it's like the powers that be are resigned to accepting something like this will happen every few years, and don't want to change their stuck-in-their-ways attitudes.

the NRA will be in that town with a parade about how good guns are.

when the Currambine shootings happend, that happend.

Date: April 19, 2007 12:54PM
Columbine?

I still haven't seen Bowling For Columbine...

thast it... there is a suburb here in perth called currambine haha.

Date: April 19, 2007 02:39PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
stupid yanks cant trust any of them with a gun
Date: April 19, 2007 03:25PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Sheepy, stfu.

Warrant Reveals No Games In Cho Seung Hui's Posession

Cho Seung Hui, the troubled young man whose nightmarish assault on his fellow students will most likely be studied for years to come, doesn't seem to have been someone who had any involvement with video games in his recent history. Despite certain idiotic claims by both the man who needs to stop using my surname and Dr. Phil, it seems that he actually didn't own any video games... violent or otherwise. According to the search warrant, Cho's dorm room revealed the following items to authorities:

• Chain from top left closet shelf
• Folding knife & combination padlock
• Compaq computer from desktop
• Assorted documents, notepads, writings from desktop
• Combination lock
• Dremel tool and case
• Nine books, two notebooks, envelopes, from top shelf
• Assorted books & pads from lower shelf
• Compact discs from desktops
• Items from desktop & drawers: winchester multi tool, 3 notebooks, mail, checks, credit card
• Items from 2nd door: Kodak digital camera, Citibank statement
• Two cases of compact discs from dresser top
• Drive: Seagate: 80 Gb
• Six sheets of green computer paper
• Mirror with blue plastic housing
• Dremel tool box with receipt
• Dell Latitude service tag

So there you have it: at the moment, there is no evidence whatsoever supporting the theory that violent video games played a part in this horrific tragedy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy