eBay Trouble

Posted by MarcA 
eBay Trouble
Date: April 16, 2007 08:36PM
Posted by: MarcA
This is my first time selling an item on eBay and so far it's not been a great experience.

I put my PSP up yesterday, and today had an email telling me it had been purchased by 'buy it now'. Shortly afterwards I recieved the following email:

'Dear Seller
This is to let you know that I have commit your item and I really want to make immediately payment for it ,I want to let you know that am sending this item to my church pastor that just went to Nigeria for pastor meeting so I will like to know the amount that is going to cost me to send the item to my church pastor in Lagos Nigeria and i want the shipment by any express post, so kindly get back with the total shipment cost and your full bank details cause I will be paying via Postal order so kindly let me know how much is going to cost me and get back with the total shipment cost and your full bank details and name so immediately I get that I will commit the payment fast cause i want the item send to Nigeria fast so hear is the shipment address below i mean my pastor name and address to send the item to
Name: Mr David Folarin
Address: 15 Olufemi Street off Nathan Ojuelegba
City:surulere
State:Lagos
Zipcode: 23401

so that is the name and address to send the item to , so please try and
help
me out with this cause I want this to be done fast cause i have promise my
pastor that next week is going to get the item so any question ask me ok I
will wait to hear from you

Thank God Bless.'

On my item description I made sure it said it would only be shipped to the UK. The buyer has bought the item but not paid, and personally I would rather not ship to Nigeria. I tried to file an 'unpaid item dispute' through eBay, using the 'buyer has requested the item be dispatched to an unconfirmed location' option. However, it is not letting me do this until the 23rd, which, to be fair, is complete crap.

I have now sent the buyer an email asking if she is prepared to agree to cancelling the transaction.

Re: eBay Trouble
Date: April 16, 2007 08:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
hmm, one of those dodgy Nigerian-based people.

it's too late now, but when you listed the item, you should have been able to set some criteria for who could bid or buy your items, such as no people with less than 5 ratings, no-one with unpaid item reports, and no people from outside the countries you will post to.

and there is no reason whatsoever a seller needs to give the buyer his bank account details, unless doing a direct bank transfer, and i doubt you'd have given that as an option, and he already said he'd send a postal order.

and yes yo have to wait a week until you end the transaction because it gives time for both parties to discuss the situation.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 17, 2007 03:08AM
Posted by: Guimengo
To be honest e-bay has given me a fair enough share of annoyances more often than pleasantries... they really need some people there instead of having it all automated.
Date: April 17, 2007 01:37PM
Posted by: mortal
Do not give your bank details, remind them that the sale stated that shipping was to the UK only so all bets are off.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 17, 2007 03:50PM
just so you know for next time, on the penultimate screen of setting up your listing, you can set your preferences, you can see the ones i have in place:

if you click on "edit preferences", you get this screen so you can set it up how you want:

[img.photobucket.com]

Date: April 18, 2007 04:52PM
Posted by: mschumi
Hmm, not really now if this belongs here, but here's the ebay video

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: April 18, 2007 05:28PM
Posted by: Covfan
He sounds like a decent chap, not dodgy at all, I'd give him your bank details pronto.
Date: April 18, 2007 05:52PM
Posted by: danm
He does write an awful lot in explaining himself, did you really need to know that church crap?

He is dodgy as pie. Avoid at all costs.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: April 18, 2007 06:12PM
Posted by: mschumi
Btw, the one singing that song is Weird Al Yankovick..

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: April 18, 2007 06:52PM
Posted by: keiran
Slightly OT but still a scam.

I was in the post office sending stuff today and this old guy was at the checkout next to me getting a postal order for £60 because he had `won` millions of £s from some competition in Australia. By the sounds of it he hadn't even been to or entered any competition in Australia.

The woman at the post office was telling him it was a scam but he insisted it wasn't and how the letter says all he has to do is send £60 and how his friend has also won. She gave up and just gave him a postal order. I honestly felt like turning around to the guy and saying, "Look, if you've just won so many million why the hell don't they take the money you `owe` them out your winnings?".

Can't believe the stupity of some to fall for such scams. On the other hand can't help but feel sorry for the old pensioner as £60 (£65 something actually, postal orders cost more than there worth) isn't exactly a small amount of money if they are living off a pension...

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: April 18, 2007 07:59PM
was in Blackpool today (random), and saw a shop called "We Bay 4 U", a pun on Ebay presumably as their logo was in the same colours as the ebay logo. it said something about internet shopping made easy under the logo. i guess you go in there and tell them what you want, then they do all the ebay stuff for you, if you don't know how to do it, or they might simply be teaching people how to use ebay.

@ keiran, yep these lottery scams unfortunately are targetted at vulnerable people such as the elderly. there was whole Trevor McDonald show about it about a year ago. the biggest ones originate from Canada and Europe, and are mostly run by Nigerians.

they told the story of an 80-odd year old victim. when she died, they went into her spare bedroom, and found boxes and boxes full of letters from these bogus lottery companies, and loads of receipts showing all the payments they had made to them, believing one day she will receive the "prize money" (of course she never entered any lotteries or competitions, they didn't exist). she had paid them something like £50,000, her life savings.

another story was about a younger woman, but she was very depressed at a point in her life, and when she "won" millions on some Spanish lottery (i've had these letters also, despite never entering any lottery when i've been in Spain), she paid the £5,000 they asked for. they kept asking for money, and she kept paying, again wrongly believing she'd receive her millions one day.

so the Tonight with Trev McD crew took her to Spain to try to claim the money. they tracked down the apartment the dodgy Nigerians were running it from. she rang them and told them she had the next installment of £5,000, and that she wanted to meet them in public where she could pay them, and where they could hand over the "prize money". she tried to arrange a public meeting in a park or cafe, but they insisted she booked a hotel room and was there alone (doesn't sound dodgy at all, does it!?). eventually they didn't show up, but she had already paid them about £25,000 in total.

when the interviewer asked her why she fell for it, and why she believed she had won a lottery she didn't even enter, she gave some weedy answer, such as she was very depressed at the time she was informed she had "won", so didn't question it. it was her beacon of light in dark times in her life.

depressed or not, you know if you've entered a competition or not, people don't give you anything for free, and if it looks too good to be true, then it must be a scam.

Date: April 18, 2007 08:21PM
Posted by: danm
I know what you mean Muks, I was in Tescos earlier doing my shopping. Full of old people, and to think they fall for these scams constantly, bless them.

One guy was chatting to me about all the stuff in the aisle, all the tins and stuff. Told me how good times had changed since the war and the 50s, picked up this blue and yellow box from the shelf and grinned in amazement. I was right confused, then he went up to my face and told me knew it was too good to be true. I had no idea what he was on about, mind. Turned out it was Spam.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 08:21PM by danm.
Date: April 18, 2007 08:50PM
Posted by: MarcLister
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had no idea what he was on
> about, mind. Turned out it was Spam.

Don't we have rules against spam? ;-)

My boss (hotel/pub) received a booking from someone in South Africa. A cheque from an Irish bank but posted in Norway turned up a few days after the booking. However the cheque was for more than the booking would have cost. Boss got an email saying if they could have the difference between the cheque value and the booking cost sent to this guy's secretary in Nigeria.

I mean Ireland/South Africa/Norway AND Nigeria? Must have been some travel correspondent, either that or that Laurence Llewellyn Bowen was bored on Holiday and decided to have a laugh?
Date: April 18, 2007 09:26PM
Posted by: NickKK
Yeah according to the e-mails I recieved I should be richer than Bill Gates by now all thanks to dead Nigerians with no next of kin ;)

Date: April 18, 2007 10:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
that line "Nigerians with no next of kin" is so funny and hard to believe ;)
Date: April 20, 2007 03:52AM
Posted by: Ruckus
Its a scam like those Nigerian email telling you that you inherited millions report this to ebay get his account close
Date: April 20, 2007 12:50PM
nah, you should definitely take CovFan's advice...

Date: April 22, 2007 07:24PM
Posted by: MarcA
Date: April 22, 2007 08:09PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
:D im ur new best mate marc :D
Date: April 22, 2007 08:32PM
wtf happened there? did you spoil it yourself to get round the Nigerian problem? or has someone else done this?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy