McAfee? Norton? Help!

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
McAfee? Norton? Help!
Date: April 10, 2007 11:41AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
I've been using the internet without any kind of virus protection or internet security suite for about a year now, after i uninstalled norton internet security 2004 for being shite quite frankly.

but now i'm looking to get a new one, anyone have any thoughts as to which is the best?

i hear McAfee is meant to be the best or summit...

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Re: McAfee? Norton? Help!
Date: April 10, 2007 12:00PM
Posted by: NickKK
Anything with Norton written on it tends to be quite poor. Personally I've had a really good experience with AVG's free program for quite a few years and haven't had any problems, always been alerted in time and dealt with viruses properly.

Date: April 10, 2007 12:26PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
hahaha virus finding time hey

Date: April 10, 2007 12:32PM
Posted by: harjinator
AVG is pretty good, only problem i've had with it is its refusal to download updates via my uni's proxy

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: April 10, 2007 01:11PM
i'm now rnning the free trial of mcafee 2007, which seems to be pretty good to me already.

just running a virus scan, nearly done i believe and absolutly nothing dodgy found, how much do i really need this stuff then lol!? if i can run my comp for a year on the internet with no security or protection and not catch one single virus of any kind, not really much points in getting software to help.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2007 02:19PM
Posted by: gav
The best that I've used (in terms of lowest memory footprint, intrusion etc) is NOD32. It's not free, but I'm more than happy to pay for it.

For free you're restricted to AVG, Avast or Comodo. Avast seems to be the most popular, but frankly, they'll all vary from month to month over which is most efficient. Obviously they're not as good as the (real) proper products, namely Kaspersky and NOD32. Apparently the free AOL one (OHNOES!!) is based by Kaspersky, so could be quite good if it's not been filled up with AOL bloat.

Norton is absolutely shocking in every conceivable way. It currently has quite a good detection rate, but frankly the way it kills virii is by slowing the PC down to such a crawl that the virii die before doing what they're supposed to. McAfee is better, but still in the same boat. Their enterprise scanners are much better mind, Symantec's (Norton) inparticular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 02:20PM by gav.
Date: April 10, 2007 02:23PM
Posted by: ralv585
yeah, i've got NOD32, doesn't take up as much memory, and gets everything.

stay away from norton, mcafee was good until i got my homepage hikjacked, so dont use either, but if you had to choose, mcafee.

NOD32 FTW!!!

Date: April 10, 2007 03:24PM
hhmm mcafee is putting my CPU usage through the roof, never lower than 85%, and all i'm doing it listening to WMP and typing on here. never lower than 90% now wtf i aint doing nuffin!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2007 03:27PM
good god it was WMP, closed that and CPU usage is down to 10-20%

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2007 03:27PM
Posted by: gav
It's probably conducting a scan while your CPU is otherwise idling. 85% is quite high though. *shrugs*
Date: April 10, 2007 03:52PM
mm not impressed by this mcafee thing, slowing my computer down something aweful. but then im boosting my comp from 768mb to 1536mb on friday so maybe it'll work better then?! ive never really been a fan of these security things and my oppinion still hasnt changed. as long as you're aware of what to look out for, and you're careful with what websites you visit and what you download you should be fine.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2007 04:01PM
edit: on second ganceit's slow starting up when xp starts, but after about 10 mins of doing various thing it seems to run resonably unnoticable in the background.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2007 04:23PM
Posted by: Nickv
I have McAfee. Though it does protect well, I am not really satisfied with the userfriendlyness. The control center is a complete mess.
Date: April 10, 2007 05:12PM
lol yeh init

is there any way to get rid of the system tray icon? i couldn't find the option to turn it off anywhere :S

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 05:12PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: April 10, 2007 05:40PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I use NOD32, very good peice of software, constantly get up to date programs instead of updating 2006, 2007, 2008 etc... :)

I've also use Kaspersky on my other computers which is very good too ;)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: April 10, 2007 07:06PM
Posted by: dada
+1 for Nod32 ... easy ....not heavy ........

Date: April 10, 2007 11:14PM
wow NOD32 looks highly promising!! doesnt slow down my pc at all, it runs so quick and doesnt interrupt with anything.

might be onto a winnder here!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 11, 2007 11:59AM
so this NOD32 thing just to get it straight in my mind, protects againts hackers, viruses, spyware and other nasties?!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 11, 2007 12:42PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
TBH. the best defence against interweb nasties is common sense.

Don't use IE
Don't open emails from people you don't know
Don't visit sites with names like www.hardcoreteenxxxnakedgirls.com

Do that, combined with the occaisional scan with a free virus scanner (as mentioned earlier by Gav) and you should be fine really.
Date: April 11, 2007 12:58PM
i think i'm gonna stick with NOD32, as it doesnt do ANYTHING to my computer performance-wise, if anything i swear my computer has speeded up since i installed it! :S :-o and it's obviously doing it's job and it gets raving reviews just about everywhere on google so i think i'll stick with this :)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy