Re: My Own Euro Trip
Date: November 06, 2006 03:30PM
Posted by: anze89
gareth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gareth Top 10 Euro Trip Tips:
> 6. Poms, Italians, Croats and Greeks are insane
> drivers. Fat big old Italian mamas don't like to
> queue and are very short on manners. Beware!

where have you read that people in croatia are crazy drivers? They don't seem any special to me at all, they drive more or less normally, of course with some crazy exceptions (like in every country).

gareth Wrote:
> 10. It's ok to drink Fosters overseas

I would recommend you some other beer, I tried Fosters once and it was very expensive and was nothing special. I prefer Heineken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 03:33PM by anze89.
Date: November 06, 2006 03:47PM
Posted by: kaid
slovenians are wooh drivers. (srry anze :P)
especially on normal roads (not highways), they overtake like crazy. On their roads you really need to keep your eyes open.

Date: November 06, 2006 11:57PM
Posted by: gareth
ralphi & anze- relax! Don't take it personally! I had a very crazy driver driving the bus I was on from Dubrovnik to Split who it seemed liked to accelerate into blind corners!!! He's clouded my memories of Croation drivers. It was good fun though!

And anze, Fosters is an Australian beer that no one in Australia actually drinks- in fact, it's almost socially unacceptable to drink Fosters here. Hence, it being ok to drink it overseas. And don't worry, I tried lots and lots of other beers when I was over there too :)
Date: November 07, 2006 10:39AM
Posted by: torana_05
well yer i think i mite do one of the contiki tours because they do that @#$%& all the time so they know more than i do, wots the price of fuel ova there cause if its some totally @#$%& off price them im not driving, but yer a 10 day tour then 3-4 days of doin wot i want for i want then i mite do drivin but yer ill have to save some bob to get there first considering that i prolly will want to get pretty drunk nearly everynite. drivin would be a challenge cause they drive on the wrong side of the roads but then again they cant be as bad a sufers paradise drivers, thanks for ideas keep em flowin cause if i do drive i will want me this planned so i dont waste days
cheers

Date: November 07, 2006 11:32AM
Posted by: LS.
anze89 Wrote:

>
> I would recommend you some other beer, I tried
> Fosters once and it was very expensive and was
> nothing special. I prefer Heineken.

try Carlsberg mate, at a whopping 9% proof it'll make even the sanest of drivers crazy on the roads!!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 07, 2006 11:36AM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Screw that, get some strong english cider from the countryside, anything up to 20 odd% last I checked ;)
Date: November 07, 2006 11:49AM
Posted by: mortal
My plan for next year, Backpacking, about 2 months hopefully
Melb to Bangkok, stay a few days :-)
Bangkok to Rome,
Rome to Switzerland via the Alps, see Modena etc. and some cool places up the coast.
Switz to Germany, visit Munich again, then see Vader :-) see german GP, and see Berlin.
Then to Amsterdam, then ferry to Harwich UK
Fly home from Gatwick
Been to Paris, it sucked, couldn't leave fast enough, never met so many rude and arrogant people, the best were the Germans, really friendly people. Get a Eurail pass as well. Ride one of those fancy high speed trains.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 07, 2006 11:58AM
Anyone planning to visit the UK on this gap year thing or road trips must consider visiting Donington's Grand Prix Collection.

Its an absolute must for the F1 fan. [www.doningtoncollection.com]

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 11:59AM by LS..
Date: November 07, 2006 08:30PM
Posted by: gary42
And Donington is one of the best circuits to watch at in the UK... either there or Brands

Date: November 07, 2006 11:13PM
Posted by: gav
gary42 Wrote:
> And Donington is one of the best circuits to watch
> at in the UK... either there or Brands

Can't comment on Brands, but Donny is absolute pish for trackside spectating. It's hard to get into a place to see more than 1 of the even average action points, and at all points you're miles away from the cars - except perhaps the exit of the Melbourne Hairpin.

Knockhill's many immeasurably better than Donny.
Date: November 07, 2006 11:52PM
gav, i usually stand at the exit from Melbourne, or there's the mound of graveely @#$%& in the infield. You can usually see most of the track from there. Fine, it's a bit further from the track than perfect, but compare that with any of the airfield circuits (Silverstone, Croft, Snetterton etc...). Never actually made it up to Knockhill though, I've heard it's good but I wasn't gonna put it down without having seen it

Date: November 08, 2006 12:56AM
Stood on the top of Starkeys bridge, you get to see quite a substantial amount of the overall circuit with the elevated view

LS's Tip of the week
Date: November 08, 2006 09:46AM
Posted by: gav
You guys don't know what you're missing ;)

Been to Donny for a good few weekends now, stood on every bit of grass just about, and the best spectating point is the pub :P On to the mound above the bridge is probably the best place, I agree, but you still see comparitively little, and very next to none of the key action areas. Plus it's usually over-run with people all knowing that it's the best point to stand. When they're using the GP cicuit, you see even less.

At Knockhill, where-ever you stand, you can see about 80% of the track, the only exception being Taylors Hairpin, sitting in down the hill. That would be an issue on a more normal track, but most of the action's happening in turn 3 and the chicane anyway :D

Anyway, we've drifted somewhat... carry on
Date: November 08, 2006 05:03PM
but Knockhill's soooo far away :(.

Anyway.... back on track, you've gotta get over to Ireland if possible

Date: April 01, 2012 11:32AM
Alright after 6 years, a stable relationship of nearly 5 yrs and a breakup, 2 trips to New Zealand, 3 Melbourne GPs, working my ass off out of town in the country painting many of walls, countless laps on gp2, gp4 and rfactor and some experiences I’m not gonna mention on a g rated forum ;) I’m off to Europe in august of this year for 3 months. I have been talking to a travel person who I know and are putting the final touches on my trip. The trip includes a Russian Scandinavia tour and the final week of Oktoberfest and the rest is backpacking that I have planned. Included are Auschwitz, Warsaw, Krakow, Prague, Milan, Italian Grand Prix, Bologna, Imola, Rome, Nice, Monaco, Geneva, Paris, Cologne, Nurburgring, London, Bath and finally to see my brother who has been living in Europe for about 5 years on and off in Dublin. Just wanting know some info and some knowledge about towns I’m going to see what to see, obviously when I’m in Paris see the Eiffel tower etc. but I’m looking for things off the beaten track around them. Also any tips on good advantage points at Monza and watch the race from and actually can u get on the banking at the gp weekend? I am super excited cannot wait but at the moment I have to work nearly 7 days a week to get extra money to go as I want at least 10k spending money when I go, and if any of u guys wanna meet up for a pint or two im up for it as im going by myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 11:54AM by torana_05.
Date: April 01, 2012 08:05PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Yeah, I'll come for a pint or two in Bath mate :)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 02, 2012 12:22AM
If you fly to Bangkok, go one way, from there purchase your one way ticket to Rome, and also your one way ticket from Heathrow home (same airline, I got a great deal online in Bangkok with Thai Airways). Way cheaper than buying a ticket here. In Bangkok, just bargain for a tuk tuk from the airport to Khaosan Rd, once there just check out the backpackers for the cheap rates, around 20 bucks a night and some cheaper. Do not allow the drivers to take you shopping, just walk off. I can recommend the Tiger Temple and Bridge on the River Kwai tour. Also see Standing Buddha in Bangkok. Leave Aus with minimium clothing, buy cheap in Bangkok, bargain for everything, it is expected. Look up Thai culture for travelers.
Once you've seen the Pope in Rome and fought off the gladiators at the Colosseum , head north to Cinque Terra, then cut across to see the GP. Don't bother with Pisa, it's overrated, although Florence is a must see. Then north through the Italian Alps to Como, then via Dormodossola to Switzerland through the Simplon Tunnel. Alpine Rail to Brig, and then on to Munich in Germany. Epic train trip. Don't bother with a rail pass, it can tie you to a schedule. Just buy tickets on spec, all timetables are online. From there to Prague, cutting through Austria. From Prague to the Eastern Bloc area you want to see.
Then back to Berlin, a must see. Across to Hanover and then to Hamelin, see Vader. :-) North to Amsterdam from Hanover. Then Ryan Air to Gatwick, book online, about sixty quid. All your hostel stays can be booked in advance on www.hostelworld.com. Travel insurance? Google for Nomads Travel Insurance.
Put your wallet on a chain attached to your belt. Get a Visa Travel Card. Make copies of important documents and carry on a USB stick and also store those copies online. Put a small furry marsupial on your backpack and on your day-pack, you will instantly be recognised as an Aussie. It helps, they love Aussies in Europe. :-)
Do not stand around in a crowd with your backpack on your back, unless you want it slit open. :-) Use hostel safes! Station lockers are usually secure as well. Be aware of your personal security at all times.
Epic trip, epic fun. A$10k will give you more fun than you can poke a stick at, and you will be able to eat well. Take lots of pictures, lots lots lots.
and upload from net cafes to a dropbox account. Please do a live travel thread on here so we can keep up with your antics lol. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 02, 2012 01:20PM
Bloody Hell mortal sounds like you have done this before. Here is a very rough mud map of where I’m going and what dates.

I have to do a tour for Russia as you have to do a tour or be invited to get in and apparently it can take ages to get through immigration, So it is a package of Scandinavia and some Eastern Block Countries. Also in Munich I only doing a tour for Oktoberfest for the accommodation cause my brother went a couple of years ago and said it was hectic as trying to find a place to stay and for a reasonable price, but the rest of the travel is by via train or plane, or other. My mate who’s helping me said to do Florence (Pisa included, I know you said it was overrated but I still want to see it),bologna (Ducati Factory), san Marino(imola) and Modena(Ferrari factory) is to get a hire car and see them as it would be easier to see the places I want to see. Obviously it’s not all set in concrete as it depends on time and as I said I want to see of the beaten track instead as I have in my itinerary city to city. I think Berne is going to be off it, but people have said to me you got to get to Switzerland. Also I’m not sure about nurburgring as I want to do the taxi but last I heard it went broke and are not running anymore so that clears up more days for England which I include Bath in. As I said it is a ROUGH mud map. I will definitely keep your ideas in mind as you sounded like you had a ball seeing them and highly recommended them as I want to get the most out of my trip. I have heard that Italy is very bad for people trying to steal @#$%& off you so keep everything real close to yourself at all times; I think I’ll wear my daypack on the front of me or something. I’ll ask my travel dude about the rail pass, you said not to get and see what he says. Good idea about the koala I was just going to walk up to people and say "G'day how ya goin" I thought that was aussie enough, esp. with a slow strong Queenslander way (I’m sure you know what I mean u being a nsw waratah man) and also with the usb stick and scanning them online too. Already started checking out hostelworld.com for accom as well. Also wouldn't mind seeing a "Football" game to find out why they are so nutty about it. Let us know what you think guys am I doing it right or am I skimming over too much and missing a lot of @#$%& out?

Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Yeah, I'll come for a pint or two in Bath mate :)

Looking forward to it

Date: April 02, 2012 02:35PM
Switzerland is a must see, and if you can take the train through the Simplon Pass Tunnel it is epic. Brig is a beautiful city high in the Alps, and there is a great pub in the centre of town overlooking the canal. Zermatt is spectacular, the Matterhorn overlooks the village. Makes for an awesome day trip, especially if you take the ski lift up the mountain and have a drink, the view is breathtaking. It is the hangout of the rich and famous.
Prague was a highlight, the women were beautiful, wink wink nudge nudge. :-)
Zurich is a busy place, and crowded, I was in and out in a day. Germany and it's people is my favourite. Not far from Munich is Neuchswantein - Bavaria, a must see for the fairy tale castle. Tours from Munich.
The Hofbrauhaus in Munich is a must do, Hitler gave a speech there and I think there was also a failed assassination attempt . The beer, yes, those awesome jugs of beer, not to mention the other awesome jugs aplenty. :-)
Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial, The Potzdamerplatz, and naked German girls in the Englisher Garden if it's a hot day lol! All a must see.
Hamelin is where Vader is, the town is spectacular. I loved it, and Vader's hospitality was the icing on the cake. :-)
Italy can be tricky as not everyone speaks English, I speak some Italian and didn't have any problems. In Rome, don't take a seat for your morning expresso, stand at the bar and eat that sammich and coffee, it's way cheaper. The pizza is nothing like what you're used to, I gave up trying to eat it.
Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain for me, they say you'll come back if you do. The Spanish Steps is a great place to hang out and watch the 'bella signorinas'. :-) Just watch your possessions, especially in Naples if you're going there.
As for Bangkok, "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble". :-) Fantastic city, friendly people. Beats the crap out of Bali.
The best part......will be when you step off that plane in Brisbane, and you realise what a great country you live in, and what a beautiful world it is out there. Travel well. :-)

Date: April 02, 2012 04:05PM
Posted by: danm
I accidently urinated at the top of the spanish steps on a pub nightcrawl walk home. The thing was boarded up like a construction site - and, absolutely bursting and copping off with the group of american girls we met, I dare not get lost in another bar - had no idea what I was doing. I am for sure going to hell, lol.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy