Death on Rally GB

Posted by anze89 
Death on Rally GB
Date: September 18, 2005 12:26PM
Posted by: anze89

British co-driver Michael Park has been killed in a crash on the final day of the Rally of Britain on Sunday, organisers said in a statement. Park, 39, was partnering Peugeot's Markko Martin. The Estonian was unhurt in the accident on stage 15 of the rally in South Wales.

RIP :(
Re: Death on Rally GB
Date: September 18, 2005 12:34PM
Posted by: ralphi
Date: September 18, 2005 12:38PM
Posted by: JPM
RIP

www.zach-griffin.cjb.net

"Nobody has ever completed the perfect lap" -Juan Manuel Fangio
Date: September 18, 2005 12:47PM
Posted by: IWE
RIP

That accident was first thing what I did hear this morning..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: September 18, 2005 12:52PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
That's terrible. Apparently they went into a tree at high speed. Hard to imagine though how Park can be killed and Martin unhurt. Very unlucky :(

Are they going to cancel the rest of the rally or just that stage and the second run through?

Date: September 18, 2005 12:54PM
Posted by: anze89
the car hit the tree on co-driver side at high speed

The Rally of Great Britain was permanently stopped on Stage 15 of 17 on Sunday following the death of Michael Park - co-driver to Peugeot's Markko Martin. The Welshman succumb to injuries sustained in a high-speed impact with a tree on the 27.42km Margam Stage. The Estonian driver escaped unhurt.

Nicknamed 'Beef', the 39-year old was renowned as one of Britain's leading co-driver having worked with world champion Richard Burns and Colin McRae on their gravel notes, while also co-driving for multiple British Rally champion Mark Higgins.

He joined forces with Estonian Markko Martin in 2000 in a privateer Toyota Corolla before being picked up by Subaru for a works seat in 2001. Ford boss Malcolm Wilson took the duo on board from 2002 to 2004 before switching to Peugeot for the 2005 season.

Together they won five world championship rallies.

Park leaves behind a wife and two children. Eurosport sends its condolences to Park's family and friends.

Date: September 18, 2005 01:07PM
Posted by: Sniper
Just read that too. And I hate the word 'rip'. It sounds quite 'strange' for me. It's a shame for the motorsport that it's so dangerous. Park was a very friendly guy and it's very very very bad that this had to happen :-s

I hope it wasn't Martin's fault :-s

Check out our website: www.heikkikovalainen.net
Date: September 18, 2005 01:17PM
Posted by: -Mikey-
I just went to bbc sport now and that was the main headline. RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2005 01:18PM by -Mikey-.
Date: September 18, 2005 01:25PM
Posted by: Wirah
Date: September 18, 2005 01:57PM
Posted by: markko
Terrible terrible news, I must feel for the families involved, and for Markko who has to live with this for the rest of his life.
Date: September 18, 2005 02:16PM
Posted by: gary42
RIP Beef

Date: September 18, 2005 02:24PM
Posted by: danm
how tragic :( he was actually the last driver partner i saw before turning my tv off on rally last night.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 18, 2005 02:33PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
ohh...thats awful news...:(

i feel sorry for his family and markko...
Date: September 18, 2005 02:57PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
:( I bet markko feels awful now and really guilty too since he was driving and he got away unhurt :(

H E L L O
Date: September 18, 2005 03:06PM
Posted by: iceman kimi
S**T ME! Oh my god!

RIP!

I met the guy a few years ago. This is terrible

Date: September 18, 2005 03:25PM
Posted by: matt3454
Rally of GB cancelled, RIP Park
Date: September 18, 2005 03:32PM
Posted by: matthewp
I was actually on the stage where it happened, we saw four cars go through then a very long gap, the stewards didnt know what was going on and all they said on the radio at the time was that Martin had crashed, I had a bit of a bad feeling at the time because they seemed reluctant to give away any information on the radio. A bit later Duval and Rovanpera came through together going slowly (assume they stopped at the incident to help) Then a bit later I heard the official statement saying he had died on my radio, we then told the stewards who hadnt even heard the stage was cancelled :|
Very sad day, RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2005 03:33PM by matthewp.
Date: September 18, 2005 03:39PM
Posted by: mart
Another sad day in the world of motorsport. RIP.
Date: September 18, 2005 04:04PM
Posted by: villej
That's sad. :( Heard it just from my brother, as I have been away whole weekend. Not the most wanted think to hear when you came home...

Peugeot made a right decision when they told to their other car to retire too.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: September 18, 2005 04:37PM
Posted by: Marclaren
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy