Death on Rally GB

Posted by anze89 
Re: Death on Rally GB
Date: September 18, 2005 04:41PM
Posted by: skel
Yeah, its gotta be hardest on Markko. As a racing driver you take your life in your hands, but for a rally driver you also take that of your co-driver. Of course the co-driver knows this danger. I really hope this doesn't have a negative effect on rallying, but I fear it might if the damn lawyers get involved.

-------------------------------------------------------
SKEL

You can accuse a person of just about anything and get away with it, as long as you don't call them a lousy lover or bad driver. -Jackie Stewart
Date: September 18, 2005 04:44PM
Posted by: chet
:(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 18, 2005 04:49PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Yes, you worry about Motorsport nowerdays. It's actually relatively safe, but you obviously get tragically freak accidents like this (when was the last time someone died in WRC?) and the whole sport can be brought down.

Hopefully not though. I doubt Parks would want that!

I doubt Martin will race again, not in WRC anyway. That's a terrible burden to have, even if he didn't make a mistake.

Date: September 18, 2005 05:34PM
Posted by: gary42
[www.wrc.com]

Seba Loeb has delibarately incurred a penalty to avoid winning the title in such tragic circumstances. A true gentleman, showing a humanity rarely seen in sport. Well done him

Date: September 18, 2005 06:13PM
Posted by: Sniper
yup, very friendly from Loeb. Even Sollberg took penalty time and finished just ahead of Duval. This is very bad, I really think WRC is a bit to dangerous!

Check out our website: www.heikkikovalainen.net
Date: September 18, 2005 06:15PM
Posted by: gary42
Too dangerous? This is the first competitor death since 95 (Possum Bourne's co-driver). That's as safe as any other motorsport, and safer than MotoGP, IRL, CART, NASCAR etc.

Date: September 18, 2005 06:21PM
Posted by: Muks_C
man, that is really bad news.

I just watched the last 10 minutes of the rally coverage on ITV, and was thinking to myself how dangerous it was for the fans when the Ford Focus slid backwards and into the tree, nearrowly missing the cameraman, and some fans.

but I thought to myself I can't remember anyone dying in the sport.

then i come on here and read about this, very sad.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 18, 2005 06:25PM
Posted by: Pooky
terrible. really terrible but motorsport is dangerous unfortunately
Date: September 18, 2005 06:40PM
Posted by: bestobritish
matthewp Wrote:
> I was actually on the stage where it happened, we
> saw four cars go through then a very long gap, the
> stewards didnt know what was going on and all they
> said on the radio at the time was that Martin had
> crashed, I had a bit of a bad feeling at the time
> because they seemed reluctant to give away any
> information on the radio. A bit later Duval and
> Rovanpera came through together going slowly
> (assume they stopped at the incident to help) Then
> a bit later I heard the official statement saying
> he had died on my radio, we then told the stewards
> who hadnt even heard the stage was cancelled :|
> Very sad day, RIP
>
>
>

i was on the stage too, up the top in the forest. we only saw 3 cars at full pace then two slowly before there was a long pause. i then over heard on the radios from Martins team (they were relaying the split times) that the stage had been stopped.

It was the worst feeling ive had in ages when i heard on the rally radio station, i barely talked all the way home. Sometimes i hate motorsport

RIP "beefy" you will be sorely missed
Date: September 18, 2005 07:05PM
Posted by: Gazork0
This is terrible, I really don't know what else to say :(

RIP Beefy

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Date: September 18, 2005 07:26PM
Posted by: anze89
here are links to a few pictures:

edit: links were removed. If you want to see pictures look on this site:
[tbk.fameflame.dk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2005 03:30PM by anze89.
Date: September 18, 2005 07:39PM
Posted by: ralphi
hmm.. i understood it as beeing a head on collision.. neverthe less it's horrible... once again RIP...

Date: September 18, 2005 08:02PM
Explains why Martin wasn't hurt then.

I didn't understand why there was the fuss about the results. ITV said something about the FIA being 'inflexible and insensitive' - but I never heard what they actually did.

I think that they should try to improve the side impact strength of those cars. You often see horrible deformation on the side with impacts like that. Not too sure what you can do though about it when you're talking about hitting solid objects at that kind of speed though - but surely something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2005 08:04PM by Go Alesi.
Date: September 18, 2005 08:07PM
Posted by: andrew_S
very sad

I wouldnt blame the marshalls for not knowing though, they do a cracking job especially with the behavior (of some) and amount of spectators

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: September 18, 2005 08:09PM
Posted by: matthewp
Its not their fault they didnt know it was stopped I didnt say that, just have to wonder why they werent told as they all had radios.

Date: September 18, 2005 09:32PM
Posted by: keiran
Go Alesi Wrote:
> I think that they should try to improve the side
> impact strength of those cars. You often see
> horrible deformation on the side with impacts like
> that. Not too sure what you can do though about it
> when you're talking about hitting solid objects at
> that kind of speed though - but surely something.

I doubt they could really do much about impacts like that. The problem is the human not the strength of the car, we can't survive the large forces placed on our bodys when the car hits something that sturdy. The car needs to deform to try absorb some of this energy.

A death is always sad news but when you think about it when was the last death ?? I've seen spectacular crashes where the driver and co-driver come out fine.

I feel sorry for Park's family and also for Markko who has to live with this for the rest of his life :( One of the downsides of Rallying is the driver isn't only taking the risk with his life but also his co-drivers.

Today is a sad day

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: September 18, 2005 09:53PM
Well, we can survive - Ralf Schumacher did twice! But you're right - it's how the force is dissapated as well.

Date: September 18, 2005 10:05PM
Posted by: gav
Ralf survived but very nearly never walked again.

With Michael's crash it wasn't so much the sudden forces that Ralf had to endure, I believe it was more of the side collapsing. I've seen the pic (think it's been posted here, wrongly, as hotlinking to TBK is strictly fordbidden) where you can see how much the roof of the car has arched upwards, which indicates just how much the side must have deformed. He never stood a chance.

No car could cope with that impact of a 8-12inch solid object being subjected at massive speed. I doubt even an F1 chassis would remain intact in such a instance.

I feel for Markko. He must be absolutely inconsolable, but I believe he will race again, probably because Michaels family will want him to. Whether that's rallying or whatever, I don't know, and it probably won't be at the top level.

I don't believe I've said it in this forum, so RIP Michael. :(
Date: September 18, 2005 11:57PM
Posted by: FRESCO
R.I.P :(

Date: September 19, 2005 01:03AM
Posted by: F1Crazy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy