quick grammatical q.

Posted by G_Crawford 
quick grammatical q.
Date: September 21, 2005 03:48PM
Posted by: G_Crawford
Cheney’s remarks were decried by the opposition as scare-tactics, which (for good or bad) is precisely what they were.

Should I have brackets, or dashes?

"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding."

Xi Zhi - 1130-1200
Re: quick grammatical q.
Date: September 21, 2005 03:54PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
brackets

Cheney’s...???

Cheneys' ?
Date: September 21, 2005 04:05PM
dbl post.

"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding."

Xi Zhi - 1130-1200

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 04:12PM by G_Crawford.
Date: September 21, 2005 04:05PM
Yeah I posted from Word, it goes screwy. Cheers Mate :-)

It Cheney's. because the remarks belong to Cheney, not Cheneys. That word has lost all meaning. Cheney. Cheney. Nope, nothing.

Xi Zhi - 1130-1200
Date: September 21, 2005 04:42PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Keeping your format, I would go -

Cheney's remarks were decried by the opposition as scare-tactics, which, for good or bad, is precisely what they were.

Date: September 21, 2005 04:43PM
That's what I did at first, but lately I've been really concious of using too many commas. Hmmmm.

Xi Zhi - 1130-1200
Date: September 21, 2005 04:54PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
no, too many comma's

u sure its cheney's? i thought the 's was short for is. therefore "cheney's" becomes "cheney is"...

actually, if you are going to use commas, then drop the , after "which"

(wow....i sound as bad as my english teacher...sorry :p)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2005 05:02PM by Red_Bull.
Date: September 21, 2005 05:06PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
No Cheyney's is correct because the remarks were made by Cheyney, and therefore 'belonging to' cheyney, and that apostrophe is correct.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: September 21, 2005 05:29PM
Posted by: b-tone
i'd go with mika's commas

____
Tony

Date: September 21, 2005 05:48PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Brackets is better, else it seems too fragmented. There's nothing really technically wrong with the commas (no apostrophe) though.

Date: September 21, 2005 06:56PM
Posted by: Zcott
Mike's commas are great, but if you really want, you can - for good or bad - use hyphens.

Date: September 21, 2005 07:02PM
Posted by: Vader
It's Cheney's. The "apostroph s" in this case is the so called "genitive s", indicating possession. The house of my father - my father's house".

Wether you use brackets, dashes or commas depends on how important you think the extra information is.

Use brackets if you think it's not that important, commas if you think it's fairly important and dashes to emphasise your point.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 21, 2005 08:00PM
cheers all, i have been up all night (it's just going 6am) and I am finishing my Political Science paper. It's due at 5pm, but if I go to sleep I might not wake up in time! Must finish...then sleeeeeep. I've had 7 hours sleep in three nights. I'm a lil wired...

Xi Zhi - 1130-1200
Date: September 22, 2005 06:10AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
yikes man good effort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy