Random photoness... (56k Warning & OWN PHOTOS ONLY)

Posted by gav 
Re: Random photoness... (56k Warning)
Date: August 31, 2008 10:31PM
Posted by: Guimengo
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sasjag Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > they do indeed, mine was about 1.5inches when i
> > got him, hes about 6inches now
>
>
> average then

you would know, wouldn't you Chetson Button
Date: August 31, 2008 10:33PM
Posted by: chet
It's what im all about.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 31, 2008 11:06PM
Posted by: Guimengo
You should have been supporting the Stop The Cock campaign!
Date: September 01, 2008 01:22AM
Posted by: Monza972
haha!

It had to be chet ;)
Date: September 24, 2008 01:29AM
Posted by: mortal
Some of my bonsai.

Gusto

Spotted in the junk pile.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 24, 2008 12:17PM
Posted by: red 5
Marijuana, police dog and a serpent. Deadly combo.

Date: December 31, 2008 09:52PM
Posted by: gav
Wow, up tp 25 pages...!

I thought I'd try something different today. Macro with a (relatively popular sort of) difference - idea blatently stolen from another post I saw today.

All shots with a Nikon D40x, Sigma 150mm F2.8 lens, 2 flash guns (SB800 main and SB600 support, led off a control lead). An old vase, and box with a (apparently dusty, despite being 'clean';) tshirt over it. In retrospect I should have moved it back a bit, but to @#$%& if I'm going over this again. I filled up a 2gb card doing this as it is! A dodgy pic off the phone of the setup used: IMAG0006b.jpg

What else is New Year's Eve meant for?

As ever, clickeh for the biggeh.

Date: December 31, 2008 10:58PM
Posted by: mortal
Wow, that's different, tech details?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 31, 2008 11:13PM
Scroll up a bit. ;)

To add to that, they were taken at 1/200 sec, F22, ISO100 at 150mm (prime lens).

The main flash (on the right of the set up pic from the phone) of the flashes was connected via a Nikon SC-29 remote cord. This controlled the flash on the left wirelessly. When you press the shutter release, the main flash fires 3 sync flashes before the actual shot is taken. You have to time that shot and release the coin at exactly the right moment. Like I said, I went through a 2gb card doing this (226 photos in RAW format at around 7.8mb each).

The biggest challenge came in actually getting the focus right, as I started at F2.8 (which blurred the backdrop beautifully), so I used a perfectly tall little basting brush from the kitchen to help me focus. I had to push up from F2.8 to F22 in the end, as the flashes were illuminating the water too much, and everything was too washed out. Unfortunately, the side effect is that you can see the pattern on the tshirt background and it highlights some of the dust specs on it (keep in mind this is a clean tshirt, and that dust couldn't be seen prior to the shoot! That's how close a macro this is) as a result, as pretty much everything in shot is in focus.

The end of the lens was probably around 2 foot (60cm) from the vase I was using.
Date: January 12, 2009 08:04PM
Posted by: villej
A few shots which I have uploaded to my DA gallery some time ago:

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: January 12, 2009 09:06PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Rubbish mate. Absolute crap. ;-)
Date: January 12, 2009 10:07PM
Posted by: Nickv
Stunning pics tehre, Ville. I still love that train shot :D
Date: January 12, 2009 10:57PM
Appreciating the others myself. I particularly like 4 & 5.

It's similar to what I attempted last winter (page 17) - interesting focal point with a stunning backdrop. You've used more of the backdrop and sky than me. They work much better too.

Need to get outside with mine again sometime with these nice wintry skies. I'm considering a D300 at the moment, which will open up a lot of possibilities with light (or lack of). Price between it and the D90 aren't as much as I thought, but it beats it into a cocked hat. For just the body the D90 is £640 and the D300 is £900 (both with VAT, but I can get that off through work), and it's certainly worth the £260 premium.
Date: January 12, 2009 11:40PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I like all those shots Ville, but that station shot reminds me of Marylebone in London for some reason, even though it looks more like St Pancras (yes I know it's not either). I wish I had the money and steady hand necessary for these, but the only camera I have is the one on my phone that needs rock steady-ness for 5 seconds when you hit "take the damn picture". What I wouldn't give for a basic DSLR.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 13, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: Zcott
Some great photos there. Is that Helsinki station? Railway stations always work well in sepia, and that one is particularly good with the vanishing point (almost!) from the roof with the symmetry of the trains and the clocks.

The rest are fantastic, too, particularly the second one. There's nothing about that photo I don't like.

Date: January 13, 2009 03:17PM
Posted by: chet
That station shot is awesome. Could I be so cheeky to ask if you have a wallpaper sized version?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 13, 2009 05:03PM
Posted by: villej
Thank you guys, I think I'm slowly developing from rubbish photographer to about avarage. :D

<i>gav Wrote:
> Need to get outside with mine again sometime with
> these nice wintry skies. I'm considering a D300 at
> the moment, which will open up a lot of
> possibilities with light (or lack of). Price
> between it and the D90 aren't as much as I
> thought, but it beats it into a cocked hat. For
> just the body the D90 is £640 and the D300 is
> £900 (both with VAT, but I can get that off
> through work), and it's certainly worth the £260
> premium.</i>

That D300 does really sound like a great deal compared to D90. I would imagine it should perform quite much better in low light than the D90.
I'm stuck with my 400D for time being, as having to started studying again I don't really have money to buy expensive cameras. It has been quite a good piece of kit anyway, only thing that I would really like to be better, is it's performance in low light, but it'll do.

<i>Zcott Wrote:
> Some great photos there. Is that Helsinki station?
> Railway stations always work well in sepia, and that
> one is particularly good with the vanishing point
> (almost!) from the roof with the symmetry of the
> trains and the clocks. </i>

Yeah, Helsinki railway station it is.

<i>chet Wrote:
> That station shot is awesome. Could I be so cheeky
> to ask if you have a wallpaper sized version? </i>

Not at all, glad that you like it. You can get the full sized version from [viltzu86.deviantart.com]. Just click download on the left side.

And incase anyone is intrested, all of those shot except the station one are taken with Sigma 10-20mm lens, most at 10mm. The station one is taken with the cheap 18-55mm kit lens.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 05:06PM by villej.
Date: January 14, 2009 02:58PM
Posted by: Nickv
villej schreef:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That station shot is awesome. Could I be so
> cheeky
> > to ask if you have a wallpaper sized version?
>
> Not at all, glad that you like it. You can get the
> full sized version from
> [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
> 10. Just click download on the left side.
>
> And incase anyone is intrested, all of those shot
> except the station one are taken with Sigma
> 10-20mm lens, most at 10mm. The station one is
> taken with the cheap 18-55mm kit lens.

I've got a new wall paper :D
Date: January 14, 2009 04:42PM
Posted by: MattB
Just thought id share some pics from my activity over the winter.

All taken with Nikon D70s and 18-80mm Lens

Date: August 13, 2009 11:36AM
We need more photos!

Had a relatively clear sky last night, so stayed up until around 2am to try and finally get a shot of a Perseid meteor (having failed miserably 2 year back when I went up into the hills). I still failed last night, but I did actually get one.

Tripod, remote release and 17-70mm on a D300.

Also a 30 minute exposure yielded a star trail. Never tried one before, but what the heck. Only real problems were the lack of a subject (was in the back garden, so it had to be trees), a touch of flare, presumably off the half moon, and the light which leaked from that moon (it was to the cameras right).

While waiting for the meteors to start again, I got out the 150mm prime and tried some shots of the moon. Wondered what a longish exposure (8 seconds) would look like... funky as it turned out. Aided by some nice lens flare creating a 2nd, desaturated, moon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy