GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: February 28, 2006 11:31PM
Posted by: Tumke
Hello, a small question

When i make fences at the left of my circuit were also my pit is. I can't see the wall at the right side when i driving trough my pitlane... I tried to made a more concrete wall. So i added a second fence instead of the orginal fence from the .dat file..and i also made a fence at the top of these 2 fences, than you got this box effect.. i hope you know what i mean..
But why is it that i can't see the whole wall when i drive through the pit lane? the complete wall just dissapearse...
Date: February 28, 2006 11:47PM
Posted by: Lo2k
if you used the fence builder for all your wall parts, it's kinda normal.
I don't know for the top part (it should be visible I think) but both vertical parts are facing the road and thus are only visible from the road.

So you have two solution : if you want that a thin wall was visible from both sides, you have to assign this object a material having the two-sided option checked (but two-sided materials are using more CPU resources).
if your wall is "closed" and thus you can live with 1-side faces, then you just have to revert normals for the fence you want to make visible from pitlane as normals are telling the game which side is visible and which one is not.

There's a possibility that inverting normals do not works in game with some objects. In that case, invert face creation (order) and it should be visible at last :)

Date: March 02, 2006 01:57PM
Posted by: erwin_78
@laurent

i noticed that in the pitlane the fence (towards trackside) isn't being diplayed in 3de, is that what it suppost to be?

I also added a verge on the track to move the pitwall more the the pits and also a verge in the pitlane (towards trackside) to decrease the pitwall width, but i found out that gp4 is ignoring my fence. I can drive right through the pitwall into the pits.
I know it's maybe the first track which has a verge between the track and the pitwall, but do you think this new verge is causing this problem?
Date: March 02, 2006 08:46PM
@Erwin:
Well, no it's not normal. I just opened an original track and they are displayed (we are speaking about .dat file, right ?).

B-tone or Jimbob told me about the fact one width has priority on the other, i don't remind if it's verge or bank, so it could be a reason.
Else I assume you didn't set a gate at this sector.
Last thing, in some tracks, like Monaco, you have to set the Coonect pit lane start sooner than usual to avoid any trouble with car entering pits even after the rails are separating track and pitlane.
That's all I see yet, else you can send me your file and I will try to have a sight on it :)

Date: March 03, 2006 11:23PM
right...

Maybe all things are going wrong... I know added the pitwall and tested it in gp4, strangle enough it runs like hell (big hit on PO) when it shows the mirrors as well. I deleted the new objects one by one to see which object was causing it. I deleted all new objects, but still no change in PO until i loaded the gp4 file which hadn't loaded the objects yet.
weird...
big PO hit, gp4 crashes and a fake pitwall which you can drive right through...i think i'm heading for a doomed scenario. any ideas? i'm clueless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2006 11:23PM by erwin_78.
Date: March 04, 2006 12:58AM
Badly no :(
I have very few details on what can slow down tracks that much but one thing I discovered very lastly with tarmacmap.tex texture size.
Increasing this texture size will drastically slow down the game, I assume it's due to the fact this texture is applied on the .bin mesh instead of usual textures applied on .gp4 mesh...
excluded that case, I have no more informations...

Date: March 04, 2006 01:01PM
Posted by: Tumke
hy,

i few questions

1. Can you change the distance between the cars when they standing in the pitbox? because my pitboxes are smaller than de regualery ones..

2. what can i do with normals? i made a pitbox and now some parts are darker than others. but i give all the parts the same normals (5.000) every part has the same "color" right now...But if i play the game i don't see textures...:( has it something to do with that i imported the pitbox as a 3ds file?

3. I noticed that my cpu is only very high if i drive with th T cam...why is this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2006 01:02PM by Tumke.
Date: March 04, 2006 02:31PM
Posted by: TTM
Answer to your second question:

When you import 3ds-object you have to use Action/Invert/Face creation tool and then compute normals.
Date: March 04, 2006 03:41PM
answer to 1: No, AFAIK you can't change it.
answer to 3: PO is different depending on the cam you use (about 10% between cockpit and T-cam)

Date: March 05, 2006 02:27PM
adding some info on my problem above

my problem seems more complex then i mentioned earlier.
I thought it happend when adding the new pitwall, but i was wrong. It happend when deleting the guardrail (in the pits) when adding my new pitwall.
I found out that when i only delete the guardrail in the pits the PO increases a lot (from 20/30% to 150%)

When only adding the objects and leaving the old pit guardrail it's fine.

> are you using original tex files?
there are no original tex files

> are you applying textures to 3d objects then running track?
of course, all my textures are quite small as well and using a lot of 3d shapes. I believe that is how i achieve a very low PO.

> think along these lines.......are the 3d objects self made or standard gp4./???
yes, i'm building bahrain. Almost everything is new.
Date: March 10, 2006 07:43PM
Posted by: b-tone
i'm getting a few error messages using the track profiler. i think i know how, but is anyone else having problems with it?
also if i have 3de open it runs fine, then i load and quit gp4, and bring 3de back up its very slow. is that something to do with my system maybe?

@Lo2k - i have rebuilt that pitlane alomst as it should be and its working fine. it'll be online soon if theres a chance it shows something about the crash :)

____
Tony

Date: March 10, 2006 07:48PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I have had an error messages in track profiler...i think it may happen ( in my case) when you input a number higher than the number of sectors actually there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2006 07:49PM by jimbob1.
Date: March 10, 2006 08:28PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Why would you do that anyway?
Date: March 10, 2006 08:42PM
as i said in my case....when i'm zombie like checking thru lot's of sectors ...track profiler has thrown out some error messages at other times though which kept repeating till i close & re-open 3d editor.....
Date: March 10, 2006 08:45PM
Posted by: b-tone
i'll try to keep a closer eye, but i think it happens if i use the up down arrows in the 'number of sectors' box.
and, like jim says, the error keeps coming till i close and re open 3D Editor.

____
Tony

Date: March 10, 2006 11:32PM
Posted by: uskoff
, look, my first work!!!

Thank Maverick for detailed tutorial:D
Only at me a problem, that he gives out:

Prompt please, what to me to do?
Thank:D
Date: March 11, 2006 12:07AM
uskoff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> , look, my first work!!!
>
>
> Thank Maverick for detailed tutorial:D
> Only at me a problem, that he gives out:
>
> Prompt please, what to me to do?
> Thank:D

what is displayed in red are missing flag(commands)

for 86 & 87

Double click on the (track) sectors...scroll to where the pitlane joins the track & double click on that sector & select the add tab then choose connect pitlane start flag (command).......then scroll to were the pitlane end joins the track & add the connect pitlane end flag command......

for 9b 9e

Double click on the (pitlane) sectors...in the first pitlane sector add the flag pitlane start
on the last pitlane sector add the pitlane ends flag....

for misplaced.

3d editor tells you you have placed the pits end flag in the wrong sector...scroll thru the pitlane sectors & see where you placed this command then delete.....add the pits end flag as stated in pitlane sector 55... sector

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2006 12:09AM by jimbob1.
Date: March 11, 2006 12:09AM
What's up with that last sector? It's huge!
Date: March 11, 2006 11:38AM
@B-tone: good news :)
About track profiler, I never heard about such trouble before yet. I will try to reproduce this error to try to fix it.

Date: March 11, 2006 11:58AM
A little preview of the soon-to-be-released foetus (hopefully)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy