GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: November 19, 2005 05:24PM
Posted by: b-tone
what is the pit lane sector limit? i get a pop up at about 300, saying i've 'exceeded the pitlane limit (1500)'
the track limit is 1500 isnt it?

will exceding the limit cause my freeze/ctd after hitting DRIVE?
all the flags seem to be ok.

@Lo2k - is there anything in this that can point to problems? i think sutt1e quoted it once.

Stack trace:
0040D2B7: Program Files\Grand Prix 4\gpxpatch.exe! <no symbol>
Registers:
EAX=014D8000 ECX=FFFD0C50 ESI=008DCC20
EBX=008E2420 EDX=00000025 EDI=008E2420
CS:EIP=001B:0040D2B7
SS:ESP=0023:0012FA48 EBP=00000001
DS=0023 ES=0023 FS=003B GS=0000
Flags=00000A17
Stack dump:

____
Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 05:26PM by b-tone.
Date: November 19, 2005 05:31PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, I maybe made a bad copy/paste in my code but yes, pitlane limit is around 300 sectors (as written in the guide).

ANyhow, Sdi told me that it wasn't so simple and that in fact the limitation of sector in GP4 concern the overall amount of sectors (track+pitlane).

I badly can't get my hand on sdi evaluation of max sector limit but I believe that if your track is below 1500, you can add more pitlane sector without too much troubles (it has to be tested anyway).

Date: November 19, 2005 06:45PM
Well, following SDI notes, it could mean there's something wrong around sector 907 but this method failed several times in my tests.

Date: November 19, 2005 07:27PM
Posted by: patrickc
@b-tone: could you send me your .dat file? I can check where gp4 crashes.

edit: Well, i know where it crashes, but i don't know why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 07:30PM by patrickc.
Date: November 19, 2005 07:30PM
i've figured it out now actually.
i think it was too long, so i shortened it but forgot to move the connect pit lane start flags. so it works now :)

____
Tony

Date: November 19, 2005 08:03PM
Posted by: Tumke
zeppelin101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> delete the sectors you added and do the corner
> again while selecting not to keep the original
> track sectors
>
>
> OH MY GOD! England have won something! It won't
> last, quick, get wasted!!!!
> (\__/) Beware the evil bunny|
> (='.'=) <|
> (";)_(";)
> ROCK GOD

yea i know what you mean, when you ad new multiple sectors don't select "keep current track sectors". But i did "add sector". If i try to add 10 multiple sectors with -80 curve, my track is wasted. So in that way i really dont know what you mean..

Is is possible to refine this corner without making a compleet new track layout?

And i also got another problem. My pitlane is over some grass ereas and somethimes i see the grass texture true the tarmac of the pitlane..When i give the tarmac from the pits a higher Z position, the problem is solved but the track is much higher than the gras area...is there somekind of default Z level for such problems?

Date: November 19, 2005 08:11PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
No you have to find a "middle ground" where the pitlane isn't too high, and where the grass doesn't show through, so you need to experiment...

About the corner, try deleting all the sectors inside the corner (make sure you use exactly the right number of sectors / exact curve angle) and then make the corner again...
Date: November 20, 2005 07:13PM
patrick, i'll try one of my old dats with a too long pitlane and send it to you if you want.
also on a track with overlapping last/first sectors i get a crash with normal bin, and no crash when i delete the last sector before making bin. so i guess the bin cant overlap.

@lo2k. would it be possible to turn on/off the display of verges, banks, track, etc.

and finally i'm having some flickering problems. i've merged all the track fences into one object, but at certain parts of the track the left side fence is not visible. also the verges, banks are in one object too and they suffer the same invisibilt at that part of the track.
i've tried a few differeent values, but that part of the track wont show anthing - although it does show in trackside cams.

____
Tony

Date: November 20, 2005 07:17PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
You could try inverting faces creation of the fences / banks. If that doesn't work, then you should try and use the former banks / fences and then change it slowly to find exactly where the problem is
Date: November 20, 2005 08:00PM
@b-tone: ok, i shall have a look at your .dat files. Maybe i can find something interesting about then last sector .bin problem and pitlane/track sectors.
Date: November 21, 2005 12:42AM
@B-tone: F10 is here to hide .dat/.gp4 when both are loaded.
ANyhow, it's not a good idea to merge fences because it could cause visibility effects as noticed by maybe users before who asked me rather an automatic procedure to slice fences as track is sliced...

Date: November 21, 2005 11:24AM
Posted by: Auradrummer
Tumke:
This problem with pitlane is current here too. I discovered an way to solve this. All the pitlane parts I set to bridge. You'll lost the lighting and rain effects, but the pitlane will be shown properly.

Hello All,

I'm with a little problem, the last on my track. I have the pitlane entrance placed on a hill. So, to follow the track elevation the pitlane have to be slightly banked. I placed it carefully, approaching the camera nearest I can and banking/ elevating the pitlane, till I see the sectors at same level (merged the highlighted pitlane with the track tarmac). But still this way, the car seems to be running over gravels when I cross the pit entrance. How can I solve this?

I have a theory that the pitlane.bin or the .col aren't taking in account the trackbank of the pitlanes.
Date: November 21, 2005 11:34AM
@lo2k - it is the same effect with unmerged objects. i'll try dispacing the dat and see if it helps. with brno i done that and it stopped the cars all disappearing for a second at one corner.
i know you can hide dat/gp4, but i'd like to just hide the non track things (bank, verge...)
i have a track map under neatch, and with wireframe its a bit hard to see which wire is the edge of the track and which is the bank/verge/etc.
not a big problem, but could be nice :)

@patrick. i'll see if i still have a suitable one.

@auradrummer - i think doing it visually like that could never be 100% perfect. i have a similar thing.

does the pitlane have to begin/end on the track or is it ok to begin/end on the verge? i have it on the verge now and have no troubles, but the cc cars struggle to get in/out cleanly. i havent worked alot on it yet, but wonder if thats the problem?

____
Tony

Date: November 21, 2005 01:14PM
@B-tone: sounds better if they also disappear alone.
Then it's only a matter of class or of visibity settings. As told above, set all flag/unk to 0 and it should be fixed.

Date: November 21, 2005 08:43PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover

I got a small problem with the fence at start/finish, as you can see the first sector of the fence is a little bit diagonal, i can't get it right, the values for the fence are right, i guess.

Last thing, i want to create a fence on the left side of the pits, but there is no fence showing up, can somebody do it for me? This is the link to the dat file: [rapidshare.de]

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: November 21, 2005 08:46PM
play with the 'intiial bank section' or something. F4 it is.
thats for the first problem :)

____
Tony

Date: November 21, 2005 09:10PM
Thanks Tony, i've solved it, the first problem, hehe. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: November 21, 2005 10:24PM
After i added some textures to my track, this strange 'bug' appears:

(Look to the left and right fences :) )

Ho can i solve it?

Thanks in advance.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: November 21, 2005 10:54PM
Maybe the left and right fence gate boxes are checked at one of your last sectors?
Date: November 21, 2005 10:59PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
patrickc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe the left and right fence gate boxes are
> checked at one of your last sectors?

in the template 2 dat file they look ok..it looks like the textures are not being displayed correctly..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy