GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: January 07, 2012 12:22AM
Posted by: auscain
@Atticus
It could be a few different things causing the problem. You didn't say exactly when it crashed. Try replacing the animation .WAD with one you saved from original install. If you are using CSM, you can go to Zaz Tools and Patchdownloader and re-install the patch. You may not get the error message immediately from Zaz Tools to tell you to do this.
It could also be the CC Line; have a look at it in the Builder. You will have to click on CC Line in the Builder to display it. If it is all over the place, you are going to have to re-build the CC Line. If the CC Line is not perfect in some way, you will have to re-build it.

Please search Google for the same problems. Eventually, you will find the exact answer for when and how yours is crashing.

I hope this helps:-)
Date: January 07, 2012 12:46AM
Posted by: Atticus.
Hmm, maybe I should have been more specific.

It crashes while it loads in. The .dat file altogether has no problems, if I run it with the original .wad, it's completely fine. I did the pit lane and the CC-line, everything works fine... until I convert .dat to .wad.

I deleted the other scenes, although I tried once to keep them to see if they are the original scenes which gets corrupted, or the new one created from .dat. It's definitely the new one.

My stack file in GPxPatch log looks almost exactly like this guy's:

[www.grandprixgames.org]

I tried the mentioned things. Making it into scene 2, scene 3, even converting kerbs to a new scene as they are crash-suspicious anyway...

I literally tried everything.

And I don't use CSM, just GPxPatch and Track Installer to swap tracks quickly. But it isn't the problem either: I made other tracks this way, and it worked well, and still works, if I swap them in.

It's not like the previous two easy problems....

But thanks for the reply anyway. You were the only one since 24 hours....
Date: January 07, 2012 03:47AM
Posted by: auscain
My original thought is it's probably not from the Builder. Try from a clean Grand Prix 4 install. If you still have no luck and do you care to send me a link to what you are trying to load, I will have a look at it and try to help you find the problem.
Date: January 07, 2012 09:34AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, there's no .dat to .wad conversion but I think I get the point. Could you share or send me (link here) your .gp4+.dat in order I could check if I can find anything ?

Date: January 07, 2012 02:02PM
OK, I got your files and they are working on my computer.
All I did was replacing my original .dat file with yours and updating my original suzuka wad with your .gp4 file (using update wad button from WadUpdater).
And it works.
So I rather believe it comes from something else you maybe changed in the suzuka wad or elsewhere in your GP4 installation.

Date: January 07, 2012 04:03PM
Hmm, strange.

It works for me as well this way, but not by the other method, i. e. replacing the necessary files in the extracted suzuka2001 folder and recreating the .wad via WadUpdater - which I tend to use in general. And all this after a clean install.

Anyway, it works now, so thanks both of you for your help and advices. I really appreciate it. :)
Date: January 07, 2012 07:54PM
There's indeed something wrong with the .wad if you use Recreate Wad button as track loading also crashes for me this way.
.wad updated and recreated have a slghtly different size while they store the exact same files and would be exactly the same size.
It's under investigation...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 07:55PM by Lo2k.
Date: January 08, 2012 12:47AM
Posted by: gildoorf
@Laurent, sorry for this:

What are Best LOD values for a regular skydome? I can´t make it properly seen ingame... I´m using Best LOD ID -1 Distance 1000 LOD ID -1 all flags set to 0...

FIXED: don´t worry, I spoke to Paulo, he gave me this tip:

"set ;SkydomeDomeHeight v2 line to -1000.000 value at weather.wdt file found within wad. Use notepad for editing."

Once done, once fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 01:04AM by gildoorf.
Date: January 08, 2012 12:05PM
@Atticus : I found the "bug" that was crashing loading when recreating .wad and not when updating .wad. So next version will be fixed (no date yet).

@Gildoorf : I didn't know the answer myself so thanks for the report.

Date: January 08, 2012 04:56PM
Okay, thank you. I'm glad my problem turned out to be of help to the program and the community.
Date: January 16, 2012 03:44PM
Okay, here's my newest question:

Track created, turns out it crashes while loading in because of CC-line (it loads in without it).

I traced the problem back to the initial sector. I did just the S/F straight and the first corner to see what's going on. Turned out that my car didn't go where the CC-line pointed. It did follow it in some twisted way, but it was like the initial angle was different to what I saw in GP4 Builder.

I started to tweak the Angle in the CC-line Initial sector (with the ';(unused ?)' comment on it) and it did helped, changed the trajectory of the car, the problem is I can't be sure if it's exactly like it should be, because I have no reference point.

I guess the track crashed before because the actual in-game CC-line (which was then different to what I saw in GP4 Builder) crossed the walls and went zig-zag.

I have to notice, that I moved the Initial sector of the track, it is absolutely sure it's because of that. But I had to do it.

Sooo... My question is the following:

Do we know what this ';(unused ?)' Angle stands for? Or can we measure it's changes? - as in the end this is what I need to correct the CC-line.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Or - on a sidenote - can I use the ShiftAngle instead? As it shows exact degrees at least. If so, how to use it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 03:49PM by Atticus..
Date: February 18, 2012 06:29PM
Posted by: kedy89
my first attempt in making a track

cc-line needs some tweaking, but it already works in game :)

Some F1 CSM mods
1996 | 2000 | 2002 | 2007 | 2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2018
Date: February 24, 2012 08:22PM
Posted by: truecrysis
I have a couple of questions for GP4 Builder

1. The track tends to disappear when i try and get too close to the sectors. I think its possibly because the height values of the track are over 700m, as if its set to 0m i can zoom in perfectly fine. At the moment i have to be really far away from the track itself in order for it to appear. EDIT: Just released this is a bad question, as i could just take 700m from all the heights, but out of interest the question still stands ;-)

2. Is there anyway of flattening between two sectors in V1.705 like you could in V1.540. At the moment i can only seem to flatten the individual sector that i have selected in the track profiler, but i would like to flatten between two? Am i missing something?

Thanks for the help.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 08:27PM by truecrysis.
Date: February 24, 2012 10:30PM
Posted by: javifast
Is possible to delete the lods in imola2001.wad???
There are a lot of files with low lods....I've tried to delete them...but no way. Always crashed to desktop. I've tried with best lod id -1....lod id -1....flag 0 in all files....but always the same result...crash.
Is there any solution for this track? A lot of files duplicated.
Date: February 24, 2012 10:39PM
@TrueCrysis :
1- If tarmac is disappearing, be sure to recreate .bin files from your .dat in order .bin files match the .dat perfectly (.col and .gp4 must match too !)
2- Yep, flattening and randomizing are now applied to the Influency area range of sectors. So set it to half your whole range and select the middle sector. All the sectors in red will be flattened.

@Javifast :
Menu Tools\Convert lods to objects feature has been created only for this task and this track. Click this once and track will load in game again (this makes all lods objects appearing at the same time but it allows to delete lods objects). All useless lods have to be deleted manualy anyway.

Date: February 24, 2012 10:58PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @TrueCrysis :
> 1- If tarmac is disappearing, be sure to recreate
> .bin files from your .dat in order .bin files
> match the .dat perfectly (.col and .gp4 must match
> too !)
> 2- Yep, flattening and randomizing are now applied
> to the Influency area range of sectors. So set it
> to half your whole range and select the middle
> sector. All the sectors in red will be flattened.
>
> @Javifast :
> Menu Tools\Convert lods to objects feature has
> been created only for this task and this track.
> Click this once and track will load in game again
> (this makes all lods objects appearing at the same
> time but it allows to delete lods objects). All
> useless lods have to be deleted manualy anyway.

Ah right thanks for the reply. What i meant was that when i view the dat in gp4 builder, if i try and zoom in on the track sectors, they disappear, so i cant go close up and check things such as cc line and kerbs.
On my 2nd point, thanks very much, forgot about influency area, cheers :)

Date: February 24, 2012 11:27PM
Posted by: javifast
Thank you very much. Now it works. This track was a nigntmare for me. Thank you, you are the best. Your work is amazing.
Date: February 25, 2012 10:25AM
@TrueCrysis: Oh...well, yep, the 700m offset is a bit out of my bounds and thus dynamic clipping doesn't act well... what's the reason for such an altitude to the whole track ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 07:38PM by Lo2k.
Date: February 25, 2012 12:31PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @TrueCrysis: Oh...well, yep, the 700m offset is a
> bit of my bounds and thus dynamic clipping doesn't
> act well... what's the reason for such an altitude
> to the whole track ?

It was an attempt to get an accurate height profile by me, so i was using the height values as i had them in front of me. It was also a bit of a dumb moment, i completely forgot i could take 700 from all the values i had and it would still be accurate...

Cheers anyway :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 12:32PM by truecrysis.
Date: February 25, 2012 12:57PM
Posted by: xandy
thanks for the Imola info - works like a charm ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy