GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: November 01, 2009 04:00PM
Posted by: spoodge
Thx guys ..if someone want's to me me an accurate dat I'll open a [WIP] thread ;)
Date: November 01, 2009 04:58PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, great modeling for sure but using only 2 triangles per square as in the ingame screen will save some PO for no real quality loss (using a good texture).

Concerning nodes, having them would be nice but a box per noodle is surely too much too (12 tris). Just 2 faces and a good texture or even a tetraedre (without base = 6 tris) would cut down polycount again for the same final quality ingame.

BTW : to get both side visibles, just choose a material for this object having the 2 sided property on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 06:34PM by Lo2k.
Date: November 01, 2009 05:19PM
some good tips thanks, I'm also working on a very low poly version using alpha maps to control the structure, very early days but the whole thing is less than 2000 polys.
I'll definitely apply some of your advice to the hi-poly version.

I'm experimenting with the noddles (not sure what the correct term is) as they are where the coloured light emits from, I think I've found a way to mimic the lights changing, but still many tests to do.
It's pretty interesting to approach modeling from a lo-poly angle...gotta think outside the box all the time ;)

thx
Date: November 01, 2009 06:40PM
Well, you can apply some changing texture to noodles (whether via FLAG or SCREEN object classes) with some good mapping tools (wrap/unwrap) that would map the rectangular texture over all the hotel nodes.

Date: November 01, 2009 06:40PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
hi
where can i find a tutorial about the gp4 track editing / gp4 builder?
i tried some links from the FAQ but are all dead because too old.

-------------------------------
Date: November 01, 2009 06:45PM
There are two guides on RealGPx and a lot of other ones here and there. Which ones did you try to open in the FAQ ?

Date: November 01, 2009 06:50PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
i tried to open the how to make a track in 60mns but seems dead. also there was a sort of template with workin pitlane and basic track but was dead too

i'm studying the gp4 builder. i think i understood some thing but don't get how to moder a new layout or at least i cant locate the slot where to change the radius of the sector

-------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 06:58PM by R_Scandura.
Date: November 01, 2009 07:10PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, you can apply some changing texture to
> noodles (whether via FLAG or SCREEN object
> classes) with some good mapping tools
> (wrap/unwrap) that would map the rectangular
> texture over all the hotel nodes.

I was experimenting with the SCREEN option the other day, but couldn't get more than one tvanim.tex to work. I assumed there could only be one tvanim.tex so I gave up.
...but FLAG...that could be the answer I don't have time to test it right now but will experiment later...there are unlimited FLAG options ?

What I ended up doing was replacing a textures mipmaps, using texresizer.

LOD 0 is blue. LOD 1 is Red, LOD 2 is Green, LOD 3 is yellow...when you drive towards the building you get a wave transition of the colours, I'm not sure how this affects PO or stability , and it did seem a bit quirky, and not very predictable. I haven't had time to push this idea further....to busy modelling ;)

thx
Date: November 01, 2009 09:32PM
@R Scandura : I don't know for the template one but I have the 60 minutes tutorial so I just uploaded it again on GPgames (but it doesn't work for me yet) and on my site (temporary).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 09:33PM by Lo2k.
Date: November 02, 2009 10:01PM
Posted by: Gigi4
I'm reworking on singapore, so i took an old dat i found as backup and updated it a bit. When i put it ingame, using default track.wad, it works. As soon as i modify .bin files, .col file or .gp4 scene it CTD. What i noticed is it only crash at final stage of loading so i don't really think is .dat problem.

Date: November 02, 2009 10:34PM
Posted by: Prblanco
At final stage of loading, the problem PROBABLY is something inside the .gp4 file.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: November 03, 2009 07:04AM
Well, i used the create track from dat function and it always worked.

Date: November 03, 2009 06:12PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Open the gp4 file and save it without any changes, does that work?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: November 03, 2009 06:47PM
Be sure to remove all the old TRACK and PITLANE class objects, be also sure to have kept all REQUIRED class objects

Date: November 03, 2009 08:23PM
It could be that i forgot REQUIRED objects, but why if i use a preesisent .gp4 scene and substitute .bin files it crashes anyway?

EDIT: I just discovered I get error when trying to add fences. Now i really hope i haven't to remake the whole dat...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 08:29PM by Gigi4.
Date: November 04, 2009 04:03AM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW : to get both side visibles, just choose a
> material for this object having the 2 sided
> property on.

I have 2-sided material in max and it displays fine, I export to 3ds and import to GP4 builder but the 2-sided option is greyed out. In game it displays as a one sided material, how can I fix this ?

thx
Date: November 04, 2009 05:49PM
select another material (one having 2-sides option on) for each part of this object.

Date: November 04, 2009 06:21PM
Similar to 3ds max mat editor, just select 2 sided ...doh! , for a second i thought I had to do this with each face ;)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:13PM
What could be the reason why the dat and gp4 "don't" open together ?
I can't do the "Track from Dat" in GP4Builder.

I'm folowing the Ultimate Guide on RealGPX, I put the dat and gp4 file in the same folder but they don't open together. It did once but now refuses to.

thx
Date: November 06, 2009 09:43PM
Posted by: n00binio
you have to load the .gp4 , if the corresponding dat is in the same folder it will also open. opening the .dat with the .gp4 in the same folder will only open the .dat

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy