Some questions keep running in my head

Posted by Bruno 
Some questions keep running in my head
Date: July 05, 2005 10:50PM
Posted by: Bruno
I am not exactly a newbie, as I used to install every single download grandprixgames.org offered for testing purposes when I used to work for this site's download section.

After a year of busy real life, I came back to GP4 and tried to insert some 2005 cars into the game. I have invested 3 hours so far and I think I am going to quit. Some questions keep running in my head:

Why does nobody of the authors state which car slot his package will use?
Why doesn't anybody inform downloaders about steering wheel, etc. coordinates?
Why does Team Patcher open when installing Enzojz cars at the end of the installment with no result. Instead, cockpits/ steering wheels don't fit.
Why can't I drive faster than 50 km/h with "Tony & many others'" 2005 Australian set and why does the game frequently crash to deskop when using this set.
Don't some authors really test their stuff before publishing it (Red Bull- no readme at all in the zip- car texture mapping doesn't work).
Re: Some questions keep running in my head
Date: July 05, 2005 10:55PM
Posted by: chet
to answer the 50km/h one...

pit limiter ;)..

press scroll lock i think. :)

sorry to hear your probs :(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 05, 2005 10:55PM
Posted by: stifflers mum
Why doesn't anybody inform downloaders about steering wheel, etc. coordinates?

i did! ;)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:07PM
Hello stifflers mum! I am glad you are still active, one of great authors I recall from way back then. I am also glad that
Date: July 05, 2005 11:08PM
Posted by: strongbow

> Why does nobody of the authors state which car
> slot his package will use?

check the filenames and you'll see which slot it uses. people have different slots assigned to different shape names, so it varies. check the name of the car: car_williams_lod for example, then it will install into williams slot - if you open up teameditor, there's the last tab which tells you which slots uses which shape.

> Why doesn't anybody inform downloaders about
> steering wheel, etc. coordinates?

most do, enzojz, bojan, etc. use teampatcher to patch those coordinates, others have them in the readme. some don't, but i don't use their cars. :)

> Why does Team Patcher open when installing Enzojz
> cars at the end of the installment with no result.

because of an installer error, it deletes the files before teampatcher has access to them, just use winrar to unpack the exe and wadinstaller+teampatcher.

> Instead, cockpits/ steering wheels don't fit.

they should, if not, import the .car file into teameditor yourself and check this.

> Why can't I drive faster than 50 km/h with "Tony
> & many others'" 2005 Australian set and why
> does the game frequently crash to deskop when
> using this set.

press scroll lock in game = speed limiter.

uncheck quickstart when running the mod (in csm) and select use CPU to 0 - this should cure the crashes...

> Don't some authors really test their stuff before
> publishing it (Red Bull- no readme at all in the
> zip- car texture mapping doesn't work).

uhmm... works here. :) maybe you got a corrupt download?

hope i helped just a bit.
cheers ;-)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:12PM
> @chat: Did GP4 have a limiter? Do I have alzheimer
> already? I don't recall ever pressing "scroll
> lock" in GP4.

it's a GP4 tweaker feature. not too fond of it either. ;-)

> I have tried it again, but this time CSM claims to
> be "out of memory" when starting. 1 GB ain't
> enough, I gues! Now CSM refuses to start and I
> can't reboot now (for other reasons).

no idea, try to pm zaz.

btw, you do seem a bit lost. hope you manage to sort things out. just give a shout... :)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:29PM
Thank you, strongbow and all others, for your help. I'll give it another try.

But I must say that I fear GP4 editing/ updating has taken a strange way. If I get into massive problems how can a newbie cope with all this? It seems impossible to updade without forum advice - and I think many race fans will rather try another game than spending much effort on GP4. It used to be better in "the good old days" (Hey, I am almost 40, we older people say that)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:41PM
well, gp4 is just hard to mod and update, that's geoff's fault. people here on the forums are however doing their best to make it easy, especially zaz with his CSM. but you can always ask and people here will help, apart from some search button maniacs. ;-)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:55PM
Posted by: _Erix_
I'm sad to hear you're having trouble installing stuff. Updating gp4 isn't the same as it was over a year ago. There are a lot of tools that have improved dramatically (gp4tweaker/teameditor/csm). And of course there still authors too lazy to write decent readme's.
Maybe you should approach the game like a newbie, since you've been away for a year. Oh and I'm almost 35 but there never were 'good old days' ;)
Good luck on updating your gp4!

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
Date: July 06, 2005 12:39AM
Posted by: Lo2k
well, gp4 is just hard to mod and update, that's geoff's fault.
Well, I can't agree here.
Geoff did his game like he wished and that's all.

Tools are existing and are effective to install about every needing thing (shapes, textures, coords and more) but each single modder is using his way to create a mod and install it. And I don't speak about gp4form/readme file, it's relative to each modder too.
Enzojz did his Wadinstaller to be able to create effective complex shapes and textures installation.
On my side I built TeamPatcher to provide modders with a tool able to wadupdate any file, to update gp4 with all settings TeamEditor could tweak and furthermore to display an image preview and text descriptions for every single mods you provide with it...

I know either Wadinstaller and Teampatcher are more complex tools than others and need some time to be mastered but you can't blame Geoff for that, and with all the respect I have for every modders around, it's modders' fault here.

Date: July 06, 2005 06:05AM
Posted by: b-tone
Why can't I drive faster than 50 km/h with "Tony & many others'" 2005 Australian set and why does the game frequently crash to deskop when using this set.

i'm glad you got it working atleast.
the readmes in the set are a bit weak, but i do plan a big guide for it.
pit limiter is part of gp4tweakers tricks, and i didnt realise it was there till after.
and sadly, i ddont get much time to test things :(

i'd recomend you get all the other updates installed too. although dont insall the nurburgring one yet - some people have problemms with it, although theres only one semi-serious bug in it.

for now have a look here: [www.grandprixgames.org]

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy