*****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****

Posted by Forgotten-Boy 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****
Date: August 16, 2005 02:44PM
Posted by: Lo2k
So what was the exact cause finaly, Willb ?

Date: August 16, 2005 06:38PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Hi everybody,

I'm currently making a fictional track, but I'm having some problems with the .gp4 and Zmodeler. When I create an object in ZM and then import it into the .gp4, the textures don't function properly. I posted Lo2K on his site about this, and what he suggested didn't work. Here's a screenie to show you what I mean.
Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2005 07:39PM by zeppelin101.
Date: August 16, 2005 08:05PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi,

Sorry that I can't help you Led :S

@ Lo2k, I unchecked "two-sided" and checked transparancy for that material.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 16, 2005 08:22PM
I'm sure someone can; anyway, that track is available on racesimulations.com as a beta and I want to get this one out of the way so I can start on a more challenging one with the knowledge I've gained over making this track
Date: August 16, 2005 09:32PM
@Willb: well, two-sided has some effect but I never saw any effect checking or unchecking the transparency one in my past tests...

Date: August 17, 2005 12:39PM
Posted by: Auradrummer
-->Zeppelin: This is a very generic problem. There is too many problems that can cause such effect. Generally, the problem is at your textures definition. Ensure that your tga that is used to make the object texture is at right place. Second, go to the infos->missing list. If you texture is there, be sure that your object must be ok, you only don't associated the tga to the texture. Try to make some tests and restrict the problem.
Date: August 17, 2005 01:19PM
@Auradrummer No, all the textures are in place and I was trying to give it the sand texture that you can see on the banks around the track. I thought it might have something to do with material properties in ZM but my knowledge of what to do here is extremely limited
Date: August 17, 2005 01:21PM
After reading about people making new tracks from scratch i feel a bit stupid just glorifing the old ones :S

Date: August 17, 2005 01:24PM
You shouldn't Willb, because some of the old ones have places they can be improved. Silverstone is a good example because it's seems to me that there are a lot of things missing on the gp4 track that are there on the 2005 version graphically. It's good to have updated tracks :D
Date: August 17, 2005 02:01PM
Posted by: Auradrummer
I'll ask you, and everybody that is making those "little wonders". Beware of the size of the tga's. Tracks is hundred times more responsible for PO than the cars.
Date: August 17, 2005 03:10PM
"I'll ask you, and everybody that is making those "little wonders". Beware of the size of the tga's. Tracks is hundred times more responsible for PO than the cars."

Not nessacerilly, Some cases, yes, but its more of a combination of the both that makes issues arise.

Date: August 17, 2005 03:25PM
Good thing my track won't have too many objects and large textures then isn't it? I had a look at the PO on the beta which doesn't have too many objects (there is still a lot to do) and it was very good (as you would expect), but now I've changed the pits and am adding more buildings around the track. When the ZM problem I'm having is fixed also, there is a lot of land to put in, but the PO still shouldn't be too bad methinks
Date: August 21, 2005 05:47AM
Posted by: Prblanco
Hi there! If anyone is interested (and if nobody else is making this -- sorry, had no patience to read the whole thread) I've just made my Jerez track "work". It's still newborn, so there are a lot of things that must be done -- especially CC line. (the cars that run the most crashed at the chicane) From the picture below you can see what's been done so far.

My track is 21 meters longer than the real track, but I believe it shouldn't be a problem.
I have made track editing one of my pastimes, not jobs. So, it'll possibly take a lot of time to get the complete .dat file, and I have no intention (at least at the moment) of building the graphical part of the track. If there is anyone interested in building the graphics, contact me by PM.

Thanks to Lo2k (for 3DEditor) and Maverick (for the Tutorial)
Date: August 21, 2005 11:08AM
Thanks for the thanks Prblanco :)

And good luck for this track :)
The last time I raced on Jerez was with MonacoGP on Sega Genesis...a century ago ;)

Date: August 21, 2005 11:51AM
Nice looking track prblanco. Last time I raced it was GP2 about 5 years ago. Loved the track then and it would be nice to have a version for gp4 :)
Date: August 21, 2005 10:50PM
Posted by: Prblanco
I've just finished the CC Line for my Jerez track. Not so good, as best lap times are around 1min23s (same as fastest lap on 97 GP). The problem is, the game crashes after the race ends in this track! Anyone has an idea of what might be happening?

EDIT: I rebuilt the .bin files and this didn't happen again, hope it's fixed. Now I'll adjust the height and remove the bumps I created without noticing (the car JUMPS in the pit exit). Hope I can finish the .dat by next Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2005 05:43AM by Prblanco.
Date: August 22, 2005 01:22PM
Sounds good prblanco, I look forward to having a drive at some point!
Date: August 22, 2005 11:30PM
Hi,

Another question!
I want to add some light collision detection to the bollard objects I placed at woodcote (see my thread). I know the surface behaviour's are all stored in the .col file but I'm finding it really tricky to work with;

a) You can't match the behaviour faces up with the graphical stuff stored in the .gp4.
b) How would I raise a small square to about 10 cm high (in the game) so that if you drive over a bollard you don't stop dead but you could knock would front wing off maybe. (hence why I only want to raise it a little way)

Thanks!

Wills

Date: August 23, 2005 12:10AM
Maybe you could map the .col faces to work like the rails? I can take a look for you if you want, but if all of the bollards are an even spacing, you should be able to place small vertical faces at those positions. What I would do is use the values from the vertex points in the .gp4 of your bollards, and try and get the top and bottom as close as possible in the .col with a hard face, then you should get collisions :)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:18AM
NO.
.col file is not a collision file.
even if you create a 3d bollard with .col faces, car will pass trough with no effect.

The only file that could act on car collision is the .dat file.
So the smallest unit you can change is a sector close to each bollard.
so you can make verge height upper than normal or put verge and bank size to 0 to create a rail dent inside the track (but car will obviously crash in this rail if it tries to pass on the right of the bollard).

Anyhow, a sector is almost 5m long and much more wide and you will never have a ponctual obstacle as the bollard itself.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy