The GP4 Legend's Trophy (all links on page 1) - Next session - Season 1 Review, News & Transfers

Posted by kingdeuce86 
Atticus. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds pretty amazing.
>
> Will there be a short race report from all the
> main races? (Or some pics as well?)

Yes, my aim is to provide a sport media-style news report on the races, with some pictures (and possibly video) included depending on how good I am with my timing with the F12 key.
kingdeuce86 Wrote:
> Atticus. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It sounds pretty amazing.
> >
> > Will there be a short race report from all the
> > main races? (Or some pics as well?)
>
>
> Yes, my aim is to provide a sport media-style news
> report on the races, with some pictures (and
> possibly video) included depending on how good I
> am with my timing with the F12 key.

Haha, OK. Looking forward to it. :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Just a brief update to let you guys know that my preperations for the championship are nearly finished, however I'm having some issues with a few of the tracks not working properly, which need sorting out before I can release the final calendar and then begin the championship itself.

I can also confirm that I have decided to use the same top-10 scoring system that is used in actual F1 races for this championship.
OFFICIAL SEASON 1 CALENDAR

The 17-race calendar for the first season of the Legend's Trophy has been released. It starts with a race around the iconic Spa-Francorchamps track in Belguim and ends at Suzuka, a track where several Driver's World Championships have been decided over the years. In total, twelve of the original Grand Prix locations from the 2001 season have kept their place - albeit in a revised order - with races in Austin, Jacarepagua, Istanbul, Jerez and Singapore replacing the Melbourne, Indianapolis, A1 Ring, Hungaroring and Barcelona tracks.

Both Germany and Brazil will host two races during the course of the season, with the European Grand Prix taking place at the Nurburgring, and the South American Grand Prix being held at the Jacarepagua circuit.

Divisions 1 and 2 will feature the full 17 races, a revision from the original idea of running an 8-race calendar for Division 2, whilst Divisions 3 and below will feature the 8 races marked with an asterisk.

(EDIT: The lower divisions will now also run the full 17 race calendar)

The finalised calendar is as follows:

Round 1 SPA , Belgium
Round 2 HOCKENHEIM , Germany
Round 3 IMOLA , San Marino
Round 4 MAGNY COURS , France
Round 5 MONACO , Monte Carlo
Round 6 JACAREPAGUA , Brazil
Round 7 MONTREAL , Canada
Round 8 AUSTIN , USA
Round 9 JEREZ , Spain
Round 10 ISTANBUL , Turkey
Round 11 SILVERSTONE , Great Britain
Round 12 NURBURGRING , Germany
Round 13 MONZA , Italy
Round 14 SINGAPORE , Singapore
Round 15 INTERLAGOS , Brazil
Round 16 SEPANG , Malaysia
Round 17 SUZUKA , Japan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 05:19AM by kingdeuce86.
Let's ride the hype train!
To test out my image hosting/sharing skills, and to give you guys a sneak preview of the grid, here's a screenshot I took at the start of a test race in Jerez:

Qualifying for the first round proper should take place within the next few days.

I will not be trying to stick to a specific schedule with regards to when I run the sessions as I have a busy and irregular lifestyle, instead I will simply run them as and when I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 09:22AM by kingdeuce86.
SCHUMACHER ON POLE FOR INAUGURAL LEGEND'S TROPHY GRAND PRIX

Michael Schumacher has put his Ferrari on pole for the first ever Legend's Trophy Grand Prix, at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium.

The German pulled out two stunning laps, with only two drivers able to get within one second of the seven-times World Champion's time.

Juan-Manuel Fangio will line up alongside him on the front row in the Mercedes after an impressive second flying lap, with Schumacher's team mate Alberto Ascari in 3rd.

Sebastian Vettel, Alain Prost, and Damon Hill round out the top six.

With so much talk and hype surrounding the unique championship, the drivers were no doubt relieved to finally get on the track and get the weekend started, and Sebastian Vettel was the man who was quickest out of the blocks, putting his Red Bull at the top of the time sheets after the first of five mini-sessions with a 1:46.448.

HOW QUALIFYING WORKS

-Each driver is allowed a maximum of six laps during the qualifying session - e.g. two stints with one flying lap in each stint.
-There is a maximum number of cars permitted on the race track at any given time.
-For the Belgian GP, the number of cars allowed on track was 9, with a 45 minute session - thus providing five "mini-sessions" (22 cars x 2 stints per car = 44 stints / 9 cars on track at once = 5 mini-sessions)
-The number of cars allowed on track and the length of the session are subject to change depending on what provides the best overall spectacle.

However, when both Ferraris came out for the second mini-session, they showed why the most experienced team in Formula One should be considered as one of the favourites for this season, as they went first and second, with Schumacher going four tenths faster than his Italian team mate with a 1:45.699. The Ferraris would stay 1-2 - Schumacher going even faster on his second lap - until Fangio pulled out a lap in the final mini-session that split the Ferraris and promised to give us an exciting start to the race.

But while the Tifosi will be satisfied with the Qualifying results, there will be some teams and drivers that are far less happy with their performance.

Ayrton Senna lines up in 13th place after he spun at Puyon on his first flying lap, and wasn't able to put a lap together on his second attempt. Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso complete the disappointed middle-of-the-pack, ending up either side of Senna, in 12th and 14th respectively.

In a championship where everyone is a World Champion and is driving to win, the drivers at the back of the field will always be unhappy with their results, with the two Brabhams (17th & 18th) and the two Benettons (19th & 20th) being two prime examples. For the neutral, however, this should be good news as there will be some very talented drivers fired-up and eager to make up places during the race.

As in Formula One, there are no points for qualifying performance, and with the opening race being held at the iconic Spa-Francorchamps circuit, a track notorious for its changeable weather and unpredictable racing, the race should be quite a spectacle as cars and drivers from seven different decades fight for the honour of becoming the first ever winner of a Legend's Trophy Grand Prix, and making the best possible start to their championship campaign.

FULL QUALIFYING RESULT

1 Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
2 Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes)
3 Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari)
4 Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull)
5 Alain PROST (Renault)
6 Damon HILL (Williams)
7 Graham HILL (Lotus)
8 Nelson PIQUET (Williams)
9 Jackie STEWART (BRM)
10 Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull)
11 Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper)
12 Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren)
13 Ayrton SENNA (McLaren)
14 Fernando ALONSO (Renault)
15 Denny HULME (Cooper)
16 Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes)
17 Niki LAUDA (Brabham)
18 Jack BRABHAM (Brabham)
19 Nino FARINA (Benetton)
20 Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton)
21 Jim CLARK (Lotus)
22 Mike HAWTHORN (BRM)

Alberto Ascari on his way to third on the grid in his 2004 Ferrari F2004.

Kimi Raikkonen waits for his pit crew to push him back into the garage after a disappointing qualifying session.

Juan-Manuel Fangio did well to put his Mercedes on the front row and split the Ferraris - with the final session times displayed on the left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 03:06AM by kingdeuce86.
damn Fernando :(

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
It feels really odd to see cars from very different eras on one pic. What did you choose as a common denominator in terms of car performance (power, grip level, etc.)?

It's also strange to see Clark second-to-last - but, as you've said, that's game if you have a full champion field, lol. Still, it's strange with Graham Hill so far up in the order in the other Lotus...

Finally, I like your polished journo style. It feels a bit old style with some personal angle involved (it's like a report, not news), but it's alright. I wonder if you read a lot of motorsport media and/or are a journalist yourself in real life.

Atticus. Wrote:
> It feels really odd to see cars from very
> different eras on one pic. What did you choose as
> a common denominator in terms of car performance
> (power, grip level, etc.)?
>
> It's also strange to see Clark second-to-last -
> but, as you've said, that's game if you have a
> full champion field, lol. Still, it's strange with
> Graham Hill so far up in the order in the other
> Lotus...
>
> Finally, I like your polished journo style. It
> feels a bit old style with some personal angle
> involved (it's like a report, not news), but it's
> alright. I wonder if you read a lot of motorsport
> media and/or are a journalist yourself in real
> life.

The performance level of the cars and drivers is, in theory, directly related to the score they received based on their career results as shown in the original post. I deliberately made the variance of both the driver and team performance values lower than the standard 2001 field in order to encourage closer, more competitive racing, and was therefore surprised to see a 3.6 second spread in qualifying, even on a track as long as Spa.

My style of reporting is influenced by the BBC sport website, where I regularly catch up on news in F1 and other sports. I'm not a journalist myself so the mere suggestion I might be is a massive compliment, so thank you.
kingdeuce86 Wrote:
> I'm not a journalist
> myself so the mere suggestion I might be is a
> massive compliment, so thank you.

Haha, no problem, keep it up. :-)

Love the idea, will keep an eye out on this thread from now on
When is the race starting?
fandericciardo3 Wrote:
> When is the race starting?

Races will be run as and when my busy lifestyle allows.

As it happens I have just run this race, but didn't have time to write a full race report with pictures before having to leave for work, so I will do that when I get back home in the morning (GMT).
FANGIO TAKES MAIDEN LEGEND'S TROPHY VICTORY

Juan-Manuel Fangio has won the first ever Legend's Trophy Grand Prix, after a spin from Michael Schumacher cost the German the win at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit.

Lewis Hamilton took a superb 3rd place, recovering from 12th on the grid, with Sebastien Vettel 4th and Graham Hill finishing 5th for Lotus.

Alberto Ascari will be disappointed with 6th place, after being nudged off the track at the bus stop chicane by his team mate Schumacher, who was trying to make amends for his earlier spin.

Damon Hill, Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet complete the top 10 and score Legend's Trophy points in the first race.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

It was a race that Schumacher should have dominated, the seven-time World Champion being the quickest driver all weekend, and it got off to the perfect start for him as he led into the first corner and quickly set about pulling out a gap to Fangio in second.

Meanwhile there was carnage at the back of the field, with two separate collisions forcing Niki Lauda, Jack Brabham and Denny Hulme out of the race - with Mike Hawthorn and Jody Scheckter having to come into the pits for repairs - at the end of the first lap.

It was the worst start to the Championship possible for the Brabham team, with both their drivers out on lap 1, having qualified on the 9th row of the grid, and they will be hoping for a change of fortunes at the next race in Germany.

Schumacher led the first three laps, pulling out a six-second lead, but then pushed too hard at the Pouhon corner on lap four, running wide and ending up in the gravel. This allowed Fangio into the lead as Schumacher rejoined the track in fourth place.

The German was able to pass his compatriot Vettel, before running into the back of Ascari under braking into the bus stop chicane, a move that dropped the Italian down to 4th, and landed Schumacher a 20-second penalty - a penalty that proved irrelevant when he finished 25 seconds ahead of Hamilton in third.

Puh-off

The tricky left hander at Pouhon proved a turning point for several drivers in the race. Alberto Ascari and Nelson Piquet also spun, costing them several positions, but the corner proved even more fateful for Alain Prost and Damon Hill.

When Prost found the gravel trap at turn 12 it looked like he would be able to rejoin the race, until Damon Hill also lost control and crashed into Prost's stricken Renault. Prost was forced to retire, but Hill would carry on and recover well to finish the race in 7th.

Splash-and-Dash

With the Championship offering half-distance races, much talk before and during the race was on pit-stop strategy - and whether drivers would go for one stop or try to make the race distance without coming into the pits. Only three cars pitted at the half-way point, with Fangio being one of them, bringing the Argentine out just behind Schumacher on track.

But the hope that most of the drivers had of going the full distance without stopping was fading with 6 laps to go as the tires wore out and the lap times grew, with all the drivers having to pit before the end of the race.

This provided an exciting - if a tad confusing - finish, with positions changing all the time until the last couple of laps.

In the end though it was Fangio who triumphed comfortably, giving his Championship the perfect start.

FULL RACE RESULT

Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
(22 Laps)

Pos Driver Time/Speed

1st juan-manuel fangio 39m 35.675s
mercedes-amg
2nd michael schumacher* +30.049s
ferrari-ferrari
3rd lewis hamilton +35.800s
mclaren-mercedes
4th sebastien vettel +40.876s
red bull-renault
5th graham hill +1m 06.535s
lotus-cosworth
6th alberto ascari +1m 08.447s
ferrari-ferrari
7th damon hill +1m 21.024s
williams-renault
8th kimi raikkonen +1m 21.512s
cooper-cosworth
9th fernando alonso +1m 22.195s
renault-renault
10th nelson piquet +1m 22.481s
williams-renault
11th ayrton senna +1m 28.875s
mclaren-mercedes
12th emerson fittipaldi +1m 31.401s
red bull-renault
13th jim clark +1m 31.704s
lotus-cosworth
14th nino farina +1m 32.602s
benetton-renault
15th jody scheckter* +1m 47.998s
benetton-renault
16th mike hawthorn -1 Lap
brm-brm
17th mika hakkinen -2 Laps
mercedes-amg
18th jackie stewart Engine
brm-brm
19th alain prost Didn't Finish
renault-renault
20th jack brabham Didn't Finish
brabham-ford
21st denny hulme Didn't Finish
cooper-cosworth
22nd niki lauda Didn't Finish
brabham-ford

*20-second penalty added after the race for causing a collision.

DRIVER'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes) 25
Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari) 18
Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren) 15
Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull) 12
Graham HILL (Lotus) 10
Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari) 8
Damon HILL (Williams) 6
Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper) 4
Fernando ALONSO (Renault) 2
Nelson PIQUET (Williams) 1
Ayrton SENNA (McLaren) 0
Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull) 0
Jim CLARK (Lotus) 0
Nino FARINA (Benetton) 0
Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton) 0
Mike HAWTHORN (BRM) 0
Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes) 0
Jackie STEWART (BRM) 0
Alain PROST (Renault) 0
Jack BRABHAM (Brabham) 0
Denny HULME (Cooper) 0
Niki LAUDA (Brabham) 0

CONSTRUCTOR'S CHAMPIONSHIP

FERRARI 26
MERCEDES 25
MCLAREN 15
RED BULL 12
LOTUS 10
WILLIAMS 7
COOPER 4
RENAULT 2
BENETTON 0
BRM 0
BRABHAM 0

Schumacher made the most of his pole position to lead the field on the first lap.

Lauda retired on lap 1 after a collision with Scheckter's Benetton.

The Ferraris battle for 2nd place, with Vettel just behind in 4th.

The Legend's Trophy sees cars from six different decades competing on the same track.

Ayrton Senna endured a frustrating start to the season, spending most of the race stuck behind fellow Brazilian Emerson Fittipaldi.

Mika Hakkinen crashed on the last lap of the race - the Finn was running 10th in the second Mercedes.

Fangio takes the first ever Legend's Trophy Grand Prix victory.
go Fernando!! 2 points now, but it will only get better I hope :-)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Lewis, Lewis!! Get in there lad!
Given how unpredictable such a series should be considered in its early days, I think it's only fitting that the most prolific F1 championship winners battled it out in the first round.

(Alonso fan, by the way.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy