GPGSL S9 R13 - Austrian GP - A-1 Ring [Race online p205!]

Posted by GPGSL 
This is a game afterall - Free Jo-Anne from prosecution!!!

mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gentlemen, I called Jo-Anne on the phone
> yesterday, as I had not heard from her for over
> two weeks. She told me her laptop has died, and
> given that she lives out in the sticks, there is
> no alternate internet access. When I told her she
> had lost her seat at Snake due to inactivity, the
> phone line went BLUE. I did say you should have
> told me earlier and I could have posted for you,
> and she said "Oh, I didn't think of that."
> I have sent Maikel a pm on this, and I believe he
> has a case for Jo-Anne to retain her seat as she
> is keen to do so. Can we hold off on any perf
> change until the GPGSL makes a decision please.
> Meanwhile, Jo-Anne is unable to post until she
> replaces her laptop. She is aware that I am making
> an effort on her behalf for her to retain her
> seat.

I'm happy with that, Mal. If everyone else is okay with it, we should overturn the warning given on Sunday.

Of course, I'm not going to become lenient with the checks; if you're not here, you're not here. If the reason is right, then obviously you're within your rights to appeal.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 12:18AM by Incident 2k9.
I must admit I'm not exactly seeing why Jo-Ann should be treated differently to others who were in similar situations. Obviously she could have got in contact with Mal to inform him but 'forgot' about it. I totally agree that now that we know her situation, she shouldn't get another penalty on top of this, but she did have the opportunity to inform somebody over the last 2 weeks and didn't. So, to me, that's a clearly self-caused. However, I seem to be the only one seeing it like this and I don't want to cause a further delay because of this. I just want to state that I don't really agree with it.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
I appreciate your input John, and I agree she could have got in touch with me earlier. However, Jo-Anne has had other issues to deal with recently and this was not foremost in her mind. I will let her know that as far as the GPGSL is concerned, she can retain her seat at Snake, and once she has a new laptop, she should let everyone know she is back. :-)

Forgot to add; I'll call Jo-Anne tonight after work and let her know, I'm sure it will make her day. :-) She lost her little dogster last week and fortunately got him back the other day so it's been a bit of stress lately.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 12:37AM by mortal.
I agree John, but for ease, and because Maikel has been screwed around enough in this case, I say it be allowed.

It does set a precedent though. If I miss an activity check in the future I would expect to be given an element of leniency if I could argue the vanishing act wasn't my fault.

Let's get on with it :)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Well, it's fair, if you have a good case, and I think this is a good one, the GPGSL will act accordingly. It is after all, a game and we really don't need to be harsh if it's not warranted. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Rules
If a driver receives a third warning, the driver leaves the series, whether he had a valid reason in retrospect or not. If the driver has a valid reason to be inactive, it’s up to the team boss to decide whether to let him back into the series in his old position or not.

Rules
fa) When a driver receives a warning, but has a valid reason that caused him not to be able to post in the thread, the warning and the perf deduction will be erased.

So the rules themselves are quite clear although a bit messed up with mistakes. The boost added after fa) and fb) part has fa) and fb) swapped consequently.

So, Jo-Anne has got her second warning and leaves the series. But she has a valid reason to be inactive. Perfs are on hold currently until drivers' situation is sorted. So Maikel is left with two options:
a) Choose another driver and have Jo-Anne forcefully demoted to test driver,
b) Get Jo-Anne back to her race position as backed by the first quote, given she had a valid reason.

As for the second quote regarding the perf deduction, the second-last Activity Check Jo-Anne was active. Thus the first activity penalty is fully valid and already applied a long time ago (I don't know when exactly, that's a job for the activity checker to find out but it wasn't the second-last activity check, this one being the last). However the second penalty is according to rule fa) null and void, as Jo-Anne has a valid reason to be inactive. As the perfs are on hold currently, her performance may not be affected at all because of that failure to meet the activity check. Until she comes back all further activity checks may not include her.

I have to say, I wasn't in favour of her not being punished as well (rules are rules after all), so I proceeded to read said rules. The result, as described above, was definite. It's totally understandable for anyone to not agree with this, without checking I wouldn't have as well. But rules are rules ;-) . Although if someone disagrees with my interpretation, feel free to protest.

What worries me though is that last sentence: "Until she comes back all further activity checks may not include her". Failure of a Laptop and the resulting internet-free time is without any doubt a reason to not post in GPGSL-threads and the like. It's nothing that we can control and thus shouldn't be punished. However what happens if someone who just had to notify about inactivity of unknown length (sudden loss of Internet conneting) goes truly inactive in said time? First of all inactivity of unknown length isn't covered by the rules directly however most of the time the valid reason for inactivity will cover the person. Now if that person goes truly inactive GPGSL would never hear from that person anymore. However inactivity of unknown length will prohibit any punishment at all, atleast under current rule set. This has to be discussed, either by the administration, or everyone in the league, as it is a loophole that could get problematic some day.
Greetings
Sebastian

EDIT: So I didn't need to post. It would be important to clear as of why Jo-Anne isn't punished exactly. I still think that she is covered by the rules, not by good-will of all people here (well, both but rules are stronger ;-) )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 12:48AM by xSilvermanx.
Think that's fair then Mal.

Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> I agree John, but for ease, and because Maikel has
> been screwed around enough in this case, I say it
> be allowed.
>
> It does set a precedent though. If I miss an
> activity check in the future I would expect to be
> given an element of leniency if I could argue the
> vanishing act wasn't my fault.
>
> Let's get on with it :)

You cannot expect any leniency from me...I don't do sympathy. Unless you find my weakness, of course ;)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree John, but for ease, and because Maikel
> has
> > been screwed around enough in this case, I say
> it
> > be allowed.
> >
> > It does set a precedent though. If I miss an
> > activity check in the future I would expect to
> be
> > given an element of leniency if I could argue
> the
> > vanishing act wasn't my fault.
> >
> > Let's get on with it :)
>
> You cannot expect any leniency from me...I don't
> do sympathy. Unless you find my weakness, of
> course ;)

A cup of hot Lipton tea and a reading session of Britain's finest poetry? ;)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Lipton? LIPTON? For that, Carlos, you can have a free warning ;)

Who even drinks Lipton?

I'm quite partial to a Long Island Iced Tea every now and again ;)

I had eight on Saturday... ;)

Surely anyone would know by now that Tetley tea is Jake's favourite tea. Or is that not the case?

I do not possess a single cell of Britishness, dear sir, nor do the sellers around town. Lipton is the closest thing we have to british tea around these desolate wastelands.

There's Twinings, of course. But I don't think it gathers the necessary fanciness, doesn't it?

(Try to read that in a cockney-ish accent. I lol'd)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
I need to convert .tex into .tga so I have downloaded zaz tools but slimtex wont open.

Can anyone help me please

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Macca25 Wrote:
> I need to convert .tex into .tga so I have
> downloaded zaz tools but slimtex wont open.
>
> Can anyone help me please

Try using TexResizer

[www.realgpx.com]

my computer says that file is corrupted

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Macca25 schrieb:
> I need to convert .tex into .tga so I have
> downloaded zaz tools but slimtex wont open.
>
> Can anyone help me please

I seem to remember that I had that problem too when I first installed it. Try different compability settings (XP SP3 and/or run as admin), not sure if there's a correct one, for me it now works no matter what settings it has.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Wow, a strange set of circumstances for Jo-Anne and the decision to not kick her out. To me, no problem - keep her in the seat : Snake have had enough driver turmoil! As a one time only deal, i say let Jo-Anne stay, keep her seat, and her perf - albeit with any perf penalty reduction applied.
For Snake's driver lineup, i was not overly keen to send over my newly arrived test driver, Mr Allington - that would have left me looking for a new driver as well then!

It does open a potential can of worms though, for others to exploit in the future. I hope we are all big enough to not make this a pattern. If you are going away, let people know in advance!

Speaking of "away from GPGSL", i will be away on holidays as of August 25th, for a week. However, i fully expect to be able to keep track of the GPGSL and post etc....

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Maybe we should stop with the whole test drivers thingy.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy