GPGSL Season 8 Round 17 - Bacon, Eggs & Black Puddin' GP - Silverstone - GB [My Mum's black pudding is so black, even the white bits are black!][Final version of both csm mods released]

Posted by GPGSL 
Please tell me you three (Glen, Gareth and Daniel) watched the Service Announcement I posted a few pages back. This is nothing more than a trial being used to find a solution to the perceived unpopularity of the 1 Lap system. It will still be the one lap system for the race series.

The idea (following the amendment I made) is to give those drivers who had a bad race in the previous round the opportunity to have a better race the following round and to mix up the grid - everyone of late has had something to say about the AMR dominance.

I can admit the idea isn't perfect, and quite possibly won't be used in Season 9 for real - but a bad idea is still better than no idea at all, right? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 12:34PM by Diax F1.
Could that session have been any worse for me? :(

Diax F1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please tell me you three (Glen, Gareth and Daniel)
> watched the Service Announcement I posted a few
> pages back. This is nothing more than a trial
> being used to find a solution to the perceived
> unpopularity of the 1 Lap system. It will still be
> the one lap system for the race series.
>
> The idea (following the amendment I made) is to
> give those drivers who had a bad race in the
> previous round the opportunity to have a better
> race the following round and to mix up the grid -
> everyone of late has had something to say about
> the AMR dominance.
>
> I can admit the idea isn't perfect, and quite
> possibly won't be used in Season 9 for real - but
> a bad idea is still better than no idea at all,
> right? ;)

I don't think it's fair. I should be in a higher postition according to my time. I also don't think that the whole series should discriminate against AMR. Sure Ed has been dominating for the last few seasons that doesn't that I have to get @#$%& over when I have a good performance.

Put us in the correct grid positions as per our lap times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 01:00PM by mclarenaustralia.
What I can say is that I'm not a big fan of that qualifying format. Splitting the pack in two groups doesn't make it easy to understand by looking at the final standings. And with mixed weather conditions that has clearly disadvantaged the first group, if I understood correctly.

Nevertheless, 8th is a good position, even if I was more happy at the end of Q1. ;-)

//Edit :
After a better look at the standings, that doesn't make sense at all that way for me :
there is no valid reason that a group has to be disadvantaged just because they had a good result in the previous race.
This way it is spoiling the final standing of the people in the first group and it affects their scoring points and final ranking in the TDC.

I was not a big fan of the MotoGP system as well, but if I understood it correctly that has never affected the final positions of the top drivers on the grid. Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi are still in the front rows and the CRT guys are still at the back.

Just my thoughts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 01:37PM by EricMoinet.
What qualifying formats can we look at using for next season? One-lap will most likely be out, so that doesn't leave many. How about this? All 22 drivers set their times in a set time limit, then the top 10 drivers move on to a second session and set their times. Sort of like a top 10 shootout, but with all 10 cars ontrack. Would this be considered a possible choice?

If you all had such a huge problem with this trial (particularly after the amendment), why are you voicing this now rather than a week and a half ago when I posted the service announcement?

I love the 1-lap qualy. Just wanted to say it.. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If in doubt, Flat out."
Can't we just go back to the format that you know worked for 7 seasons?

And but more importantly, I'm back!

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Diax F1 Wrote:
> If you all had such a huge problem with this trial
> (particularly after the amendment), why are you
> voicing this now rather than a week and a half ago
> when I posted the service announcement?

I for one, don't personally care so much about this qualy method in a one-off session for the testers, but it just makes NO sense!
Qualy should be simple - line the cars up on the grid in fastest to slowest. Simple as that!

As for the week and a half ago stuff, well, lets just say personal life has been dominating all things for me since late March - in/out of a hospital visiting someone extremely close to me (with a pretty clear hint to give that away on the S9 livery for Demon Racing....). I say it again from my point of view though, i am not angry about this qualy, but it just seems a bad way of doing it. Had i have really seen and noticed the intention to run the session this way AND have a feature race, I would have definetely objected then and there. It makes even more of a lottery, as to the use of boost.
Not having a go at anyone over this, just expressing my dislike for it...

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Diax F1 écrivait:
> If you all had such a huge problem with this trial
> (particularly after the amendment), why are you
> voicing this now rather than a week and a half ago
> when I posted the service announcement?

Probably because we didn't clearly understood all the ins and outs of the system. And IIRC, there were lot of people saying yet they didn't like it. (Am I correct ?).

Anyway, that's just a trial, so we can tell our feelings about it I suppose. It's just a pity some where disadvantaged by it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 02:50PM by EricMoinet.
EricMoinet Wrote:

>
> Anyway, that's just a trial, so we can tell our
> feelings about it I suppose. It's just a pity some
> where disadvantaged by it.

Well I am only screwed over starting maybe 1 row further up the grid, so I am not overly concerned for my own position!
Lets just all move on, and get on with it. We all know decisions will be made in the off season as to next season's regulations. Personally, I say throw that form of qualifying waaaaaaaay down into the rubbish bin. One lap qualy, or a simple 30 min "22 car" qualy session. Keep it real simple.

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Hm...probably best on reflection to cancel this trial given how unpopular it's proving.

I'll just run a practice session later.

First off, not too bad from jo-Anne and Mal! 3rd and 6th is pretty good, hopefully in the race the boost can blast them forwards! With the rerun of practise there's definitely potential there. The feedback should give me and Dominic a bit of an edge in quali!

Secondly, interest test dean and always good to try different things out. Unfortunately this time it hasn't worked out but it's difficult to tell until its tested. I do think that trying to artificially level the field with groups like that can't work though, someone is always going to be massively disadvantaged by it. As Glen said let the fastest cars go at the top and the slowest at the bottom. Anything else and your effectively picking the grid by hand (Amr at the bottom, Mac/Christel at the top). Realistically qualifying has to be something already used in Motorsport, they work and have been proven to do so (I know this is similar to Motogp, but that uses practise to determine the groups)

I also think the problem of AMR dominance (something which I think isn't a problem by the way) isn't something that can be fixed by tweaking a quali session. The "damage" as such was done a long time ago, when they inherited a good perf, something which is now fixed to prevent similar happening now. As I see it the ways to sort it out are either a complete reset which is extremely harsh on many, make the series more random effectively what 1 lap quali tries to do this year, I know AMR are top but that's down to good driver perf and good luck throughout the season as ONE also had, something which could completely changed next season ie TNR and TSM or finally looking at boosts and making the series a bit more like the GPGNC were boost usage matters in terms of the result, and clever boost usage is what makes a good season. I know the perfs are calculated in a complicated way but it is quite well know that the boosts do very little in regards to actual performance. More effect with boost and all it takes is someone to be smarter than Stu and their team can outperform AMR.

And I've suddenly realised that wall of text above is huge ;)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 03:23PM by truecrysis.
Diax F1 Wrote:
> Hm...probably best on reflection to cancel this
> trial given how unpopular it's proving.
>
> I'll just run a practice session later.

Keep the grid as it is. No point in changing the testers session from a race back to standard procedures. That's more or less a re-run. If the trial isn't working out, then scrap it and use the standard qualifying for the testers qualifying in the next race. Unless maybe my idea for qualifying could be trialled.

I am very happy tith the pole position, Q1 did´nt work out for John so it seemd. Sadly i can´t wathsc the video. It says it´s deleted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If in doubt, Flat out."
Ferrari2007 Schreef:
> Can't we just go back to the format that you know
> worked for 7 seasons?

+1 K.I.S.S.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Rico Wrote:
> I love the 1-lap qualy. Just wanted to say it.. :p

I love it, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!
There is no need to rerun the session. The championship points can be awarded in respect of times set. This is much better for the perf calculations too. The feature race can then be run, but not affect the championship or the perfs, but as a bit of fun.

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Stoopid Wrote:
> There is no need to rerun the session. The
> championship points can be awarded in respect of
> times set. This is much better for the perf
> calculations too. The feature race can then be
> run, but not affect the championship or the perfs,
> but as a bit of fun.

If you insist. Results below.

The TDC points are awarded already? That would be cool :D :p

"If in doubt, Flat out."
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy