GPGSL Season 8 Round 17 - Bacon, Eggs & Black Puddin' GP - Silverstone - GB [My Mum's black pudding is so black, even the white bits are black!][Final version of both csm mods released]

Posted by GPGSL 
What a joke, 8bhp boost and both cars are last. This needs to be looked at in the off season, its a disgrace.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Aston Martin honour Allan Simonsen.

As a tribute to Aston Martin WEC driver Allan Simonsen, who tragically died in the Le Mans 24 Hours, AMR will be running in Gulf colours in the forthcoming GPGSL French Grand Prix. Both cars will carry Allan's name and the number he used in the World Endurance Championship.

(Ruben, I will send you the relevant files as soon as I get them done, shouldn't be too long.)

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
A very fitting tribute Stu.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Let's forget the race. I enjoy the rest of the day with the girls. ;)

First podium: S8 Australian GP - 3rd at Testers sprint race
Stoopid Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aston Martin honour Allan Simonsen.
>
> As a tribute to Aston Martin WEC driver Allan
> Simonsen, who tragically died in the Le Mans 24
> Hours, AMR will be running in Gulf colours in the
> forthcoming GPGSL French Grand Prix. Both cars
> will carry Allan's name and the number he used in
> the World Endurance Championship.
>
> (Ruben, I will send you the relevant files as soon
> as I get them done, shouldn't be too long.)

Looking forward to it. :)

For the next version of the csm mod I'm planning to include track specific liveries and this season driver changes besides track specific helmets.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Macca25 Wrote:
> What a joke, 8bhp boost and both cars are last.
> This needs to be looked at in the off season, its
> a disgrace.

You did use a boost at a circuit weekend where the effects aren't really going to show so well. Long straights and fast corners are where the boosts seem to be more reliable. Street tracks are just too slow. Your team boost was pretty much wasted here, not many bother with the slow tracks at all and the advantage is probably more in a straight line.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
And we have this season a 'roll the dice'-qualifying format.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> And we have this season a 'roll the
> dice'-qualifying format.

Yep, which has to be number 1 on the agenda for re-thinking next year.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Macca25 schrieb:
> What a joke, 8bhp boost and both cars are last.
> This needs to be looked at in the off season, its
> a disgrace.

Both this and the 1-lap qualifying will be changed (again) for next season. We looked into the options that have been discussed by now and there will be rule changes announced in the off-season. But Dan's point is also valid. Monaco is a track where a driver boost pays off more than a team boost because the track is simply not made to give much advantage from a higher team perf. Along with the mentioned gamble of the 1-lap qualifying and the lack of curves offering chances to overtake it was really a huge risk to use so much boost at Monaco this year.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Not a bad race. Championship wise we didn't really gain or lose anything, but with MPR having a bad race we gained some nice points on them. Not sure if we will be able to fight with AMR for the championships, but we'll see.

danm Wrote:
> Turbo Lover Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And we have this season a 'roll the
> > dice'-qualifying format.
>
> Yep, which has to be number 1 on the agenda for
> re-thinking next year.

The question then is what can it be replaced with? One hour qualifying or one-lap qualifying seem to be the only options, unless we can get an elimination style qualifying implemented in some way?

Well done Norbert - great win :)

The F1 Manager game has successfully implemented Knockout qualifying.

It could be worth testing out the format in a testers feature race.

I'd like to also discuss reverting back to the prior points system. The new system doesn't reward you at all. Everyone gets points so there is essentially nothing to aim for.

Knockout qualifying might be a good alternative to one lap quali as it does throw up the chance of a mixed up grid that we all wanted from the one lap quali system without it being a complete lottery.

And I have to agree with Dan on reverting to the old points system. One of my best memories from this series was managing to score points in a severely underpowered MAC at Spa of all places back in season 6. This system however just gives out points 'willy-nilly' whereas in my opinion scoring points should be a challenge so when you do finally score points, you've got something to celebrate.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Twigster151 Wrote:
> One of my best memories from
> this series was managing to score points in a
> severely underpowered MAC at Spa of all places
> back in season 6.

Please, tell me how to do it !

Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> The F1 Manager game has successfully implemented
> Knockout qualifying.
>

For anyone who is a part of the F1 Manager game, how is the elimination aspect implemented?

I'd agree that kind of style would be preferable to the one-lap lottery at the minute - and part of me wonders whether attempting to implement the current MotoGP style of qualifying might be an option:

For those who don't know:
In MotoGP, the top 10 riders in the practice sessions are exempt from Qualifying 1 (for us, we could say that the top 10 from the last race are exempt - though this comes with the problem of the same guys potentially winning all the time.). The remaining riders (so for us it would be 12) would participate in Q1 - and the top 2 in Q1 would progress to Q2. This would be when the top 10 come in - and those 12 riders then compete for pole in Q2.

What would people say to that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 07:35PM by Diax F1.
Diax F1 Wrote:
> Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> -----
> > The F1 Manager game has successfully
> implemented
> > Knockout qualifying.

It's actually easier than you'd think.

The way we do it is to run a qualifying session and from that you select the bottom six drivers to be player controlled cars from the main menu so these drivers don't go back out on track for Q2. Then we do the same at the end of Q2 for Q3.

Gigi4 Wrote:
> Twigster151 Wrote:
> -----
> > One of my best memories from
> > this series was managing to score points in a
> > severely underpowered MAC at Spa of all places
> > back in season 6.
>
> Please, tell me how to do it !

Hard work, perseverance and a whole lot luck ;)

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

I did this some weeks ago out of curiosity, just did a quick update. This is how the standings would look like with the old point-system used:

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Lovely stuff Tobi.

Some really interesting differences, most notably Owen in the Drivers Championship and Monil in the Testers Cahmpionship.

But also Ed on the other hand, who would have been further ahead than he is with the current points system. I see the point of saying that there is no reward anymore if everybody gets points. But on the other hand the system was implemented to close the gaps between the teams, and I think, from watching the current perfs, it's helping in this regard. I wanna make this clear: For me as a perf tester it's a lot more work with the new system. From this perspective I wouldn't mind going back to the old system. But then we'll have people complaining about the bigger perf gaps in one or two seasons again.

As for qualifying: All these suggestions sound very nice. But they share one thing: They're pretty time consuming. I'm not completely against new suggestions, but I really vote for looking into suggestions which don't cause more work than the current systems.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
JohnMaverick Wrote:
> But also Ed on the other hand, who would have been
> further ahead than he is with the current points
> system. I see the point of saying that there is
> no reward anymore if everybody gets points. But on
> the other hand the system was implemented to close
> the gaps between the teams, and I think, from
> watching the current perfs, it's helping in this
> regard. I wanna make this clear: For me as a perf
> tester it's a lot more work with the new system.
> From this perspective I wouldn't mind going back
> to the old system. But then we'll have people
> complaining about the bigger perf gaps in one or
> two seasons again.
>
> As for qualifying: All these suggestions sound
> very nice. But they share one thing: They're
> pretty time consuming. I'm not completely against
> new suggestions, but I really vote for looking
> into suggestions which don't cause more work than
> the current systems.

I can't argue with the fact that knockout qualifying does take longer than just running a single hour session, but it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of time to do it. Usually I spend an extra 5 or 10 minutes running qualifying for the F1 series now then I did before knockout qualifying was introduced.

Also at the risk of sounding incredibly naive would it be possible to revert back to the original points system, but still award perf points from 1st all the way through to 22nd? That way we could have the best of both worlds or is this simply not possible?

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy