Garage/Pitlane Project #2 [WIP]

Posted by ramf1v 
Re: Garage/Pitlane Project #2 [WIP]
Date: August 26, 2013 05:56PM
Posted by: NickJW
this is the new standard of the cockpits for the tracks mate! makes me really wanna update my pc :P

PC:

Laptop:

Twitter: MisterShine13
Date: August 28, 2013 09:06AM
Posted by: ramf1v
Thx, gotta keep improving things (H) your pc should easily handle these....

They are taking quite a long time to finish, mainly down to finding good reference, stubborn attention to detail, and including Ambient Occlusion in the work flow.
This entire game could be graphically transformed into a masterpiece if everyone used texture baking and ambient occlusion, it makes a huge difference, but it's a very time consuming process.
I'm used to working in low poly, but this is "ultra" low poly, and surprisingly increases the design time, I find it best to start with extreme detail and then optimize it back until it's low enough for the game, it takes longer but means it will be more accurate.

Anyway thanks for the encouragement, sometimes I lose my mojo and interest.

F1Dev
Date: August 29, 2013 05:44PM
Posted by: NickJW
yeah i know my pc could handle it but fifa 14 is also coming and it doesn't run smooth on the hdmi input ;)

PC:

Laptop:

Twitter: MisterShine13
Date: August 29, 2013 10:30PM
It's more if the track can handle it, I'm spending a lot of time optimising and reducing / remodelling sections, but the poly count still remains pretty high for each garage.
I'm working on the Ferrari 2011 , it's just about done, poly-count is 1,620 faces, if they all average that it's going to be a pretty big hit, but maybe 20,000 faces + for 12 garages isn't too bad.
Airgun frames could be rendered onto 2d planes , but the 3d ones look better, again, it's hard to keep poly count down, but a combination of 3d mesh and 2d planes should be acceptable.
Telemetry stands and engineers will be less than the current 20,000+ faces for all 12 stands. (and they don't have globe heads and vagina earphones ;-))
I've just got to get used to juggling polygons around and redoing things, but the more I do the easier it gets.

EDIT: I'll post some wires in a bit, I'm waiting for a render to finish.

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 10:36PM by ramf1v.
Date: August 30, 2013 09:07PM
A few wires....

At last stage for Ferrari, the garage is now one mesh and one texture, I just need to bake the lighting and shadows into the scene, paint the main texture and turn the 3d light frame into 2d planes.

Garage polycount is 1034 faces, and the overhead car light frame is 600 faces, I can drop a few faces here and there but this is pretty much where it stands.

I reserve the right to add faces too ;-)

F1Dev
Date: August 30, 2013 09:44PM
Posted by: gezere
Two words: Just GREAT!!(Y)

Date: August 30, 2013 09:52PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Perfect dedication!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: August 31, 2013 12:24AM
Posted by: AndrewHarper
Really impressive work!

Must be difficult to find all the reference material as things like TV don't really pan out enough to see all the detail in the garage.

Thinking about putting some X Factor "stars" at the back with their headphones on!? haha.
Date: September 01, 2013 11:17AM
AndrewHarper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really impressive work!
>
> Must be difficult to find all the reference
> material as things like TV don't really pan out
> enough to see all the detail in the garage.

Thx, from a 3D artist POV it's a logistical nightmare ;-) Generally crap reference material and generally crap texture sources, the workflow is double/triple what a standard 3d scene should involve.
All the design processes overlap and conflict with each other due to the massive amount of optimisation you have to take into consideration, it's incredibly stifling and claustrophobic designing in detail for this game, as even a "low poly" approach is still too much.
It really is a case of "I've started so I'd better finish it" that keeps me coming back, not sure how long that will last tho'.
I've had it with trawling the web for reference, when you spend more time looking for reference than making something you start to question whether it's all worth it.
Some garages definitely won't get done simply for the fact I can't find good reference.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, to make something in 3D you need good reference, scrolling around 400+ 3rd party shots of the garages looking for the details is mind numbing, when all you generally need are a few good shots of empty garages...front back and side shots with a few close up's of details.

Don't know how long this will last, but my patience is wearing thin again.

F1Dev
Date: September 01, 2013 02:02PM
Posted by: Alessio88
Well fot the garages that you don't find good references you could make them fictional wich will be always better then the original one, what do you think about it?anyway keep up the great work and patience mate:)

Greetings
Alessio

CoM3 oN McL4R3n.....:)
Date: September 01, 2013 07:53PM
Posted by: georgibg
This looks more like the upcoming F1 2013 (crap) than GP4! AWESOME, GREAT, SUPERB JOB!

But what about the frame rates? Any difference?

The old classics will be always better than the newest games.
Date: September 07, 2013 06:40PM
AndrewHarper Wrote:
> Really impressive work!
>
> Must be difficult to find all the reference
> material as things like TV don't really pan out
> enough to see all the detail in the garage.
>
> Thinking about putting some X Factor "stars" at
> the back with their headphones on!? haha.

Actually they do give good reference angles, just low quality textures if you screen grab from the vids, the best ones are FP1, 2 & 3 and qualifying, usually always some good shots, I run them through vlc and hammer the snapshot button, 780p coverage is pretty good.

Alessio88 Wrote:
> Well fot the garages that you don't find good
> references you could make them fictional wich will
> be always better then the original one, what do
> you think about it?anyway keep up the great work
> and patience mate:)

Don't think i could ever do fictional. my head couldn't handle it ;-)

I sketched out the Ferrari 2012/2013 layout this morning, polycount is also around 1,600 for the entire garage. I kinda like the design on this one.
I think the lighting system needs some tweaking, it looks maybe a little to big, proportion looks a bit out.

F1Dev
Date: September 07, 2013 07:27PM
Posted by: Spidey
Great one. I'm rly looking forward for them. I've said it before but car renders will look awesome with these garages!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.”
Date: September 08, 2013 02:28PM
Thanks guys, adjusted the proportion slightly today, I was way out in the first screens, there's some structure at the back that needs adding, I'm not sure what it is right now, looks like a viewing pod of some kind.
As always the garages seem to differ slightly at each venue.

EDIT: That's Soulbringers excellent Ferrari f2012 in the scene btw.

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 02:49PM by ramf1v.
Date: September 08, 2013 02:44PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
Superb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: September 09, 2013 12:33AM
Posted by: auscain
Your fictional looks good. You are quite correct. looking for reference is about 80% of the effort. Sometimes I do it when I'm bored or sometimes not quite awake yet. It would be easier still if some engineers or team managers contacted you with what they need and have you lay-up the garage in 3d so they can build it based on your 3d model . You obviously have the capability.
Date: September 09, 2013 01:49PM
Yeah reference is a pain but I'm learning to deal with it, early morning browsing whilst sucking on a strength 5 and late night searching to tire me out.
I use XnView with categories to quickly display photo's in my collections with the relevant details...

for the finite details I use the "Clipboard" function, to pull out selected areas of photo's and save little grabs into a sub folders of whatever I'm modelling.

For browsing and saving I set up a few apps with folder structures :

I use Firefox with Save Link in Folder 1.5.14

Save Image in Folder 1.3.14

.....and for quick navigation on my HD I use Direct Folders, I seriously couldn't use a PC without DF, you set up all your folders and they are instantly accessible.

Best of all is the "Recent" feature which means I can easily access folders I'm working on...

Off topic, (I really should do separate post about manipulating imagery and folders).... but relevant at the same time ;-), maybe of use to you guys. I'm actually the most disorganized person you could wish to meet, so as a result I have to force myself to be organized ;-)

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 01:51PM by ramf1v.
Date: September 10, 2013 12:50AM
Ram,i've been to Monza this week-end and after the race i've made some photos to the team pitstands if you need the i could post them here or send you the link i even will let you know if a friend of mine who has been to the trusday walk about has got some pictures of garages as well,ok?

Greetings
Alessio

Date: September 10, 2013 12:02PM
Sure Alessio, fire me a PM with the links... all are welcome. (Y)

thx

F1Dev
Date: September 10, 2013 11:39PM
happy to help mate,tomorrow i will send you both boxes and team stands :)

Greetings
Alessio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy